Author's Chapter Notes:
My husband’s back home now, so my updates will be a little less regular than they have been this week but I’m going to try to post at least twice a week. Hope you enjoy the chapter.
Over the following months, life for the unusual family of four had settled into a definite routine, Buffy agreed to take the job at the Magic Shop three evenings a week and either Spike or Giles would look after Katie for her. Giles now regularly went out with his mystery woman, whom he would not let Buffy or Spike meet, despite their pleas.

Buffy was content, not happy but not unhappy either and most of the time she felt that that was the best she could hope for. Katie was growing up to be a menace who could wrap her grandfather and uncle around her little finger with just a glace from her big brown eyes. Her babbling was beginning to sound suspiciously like words and Buffy was feeling guilty that Angel was missing his child growing up.

Her and Spike had also settled into a routine, Buffy hesitated to call it a relationship, he would still do things that were designed to turn her on and she would ignore him, like the fact that he would come in and use the shower when she was brushing her teeth or he would stand close behind her and share the sink with her in a strangely intimate way.

She didn’t object though, she knew that this was all she would ever get from him and the thought of stopping him made her heart hurt in a way she didn’t want to investigate. She often used Giles as a buffer, seeking him out when Spike was getting too intense, either that or if her daughter was wake she would latch hold of her, it wasn’t that she didn’t like what Spike was doing it was that she simply didn’t trust herself not to jump on him.

This was why she was so upset when Giles told her he was going away for two weeks.

“You’re what?” she exclaimed, whilst attempting to remove Katie from behind the television, that kid could crawl faster than the speed of light.

“I’m going away, on a holiday.” Giles was aware of the reason for her discomfort he had seen the looks between her and his son, but he hadn’t been on holiday for many years now and well his new girlfriend wanted some alone time…

“Giles… GILES!” Buffy snapped her fingers in front of his face.

He shook his head and instantly removed his glasses, beginning to clean them a slight blush on his face.

“Eww! Giles! Please promise to never EVER let me know where your mind went just then” Buffy exclaimed shocked at her father in law.

“Yes, well… As I said, I’m sure you and Spike will do fine for a couple of weeks. You’re both far too old to need adult supervision.”

If only you knew, Buffy thought sighing “So, when are you leaving?” At least I’ll have some time to prepare she thought, maybe move to Willow and Tara’s for a couple of weeks.

“This afternoon.”

“What? You’re joking right? Why didn’t you say something sooner?” Buffy burst out, Oh God what was she going to do?

“It was one of those last minute deal things, we only arranged it this morning, I’m afraid I’ll be leaving before Spike gets home can I rely on you to let him know.”

“Yeah, sure. Well go on then, go pack.” Buffy said, removing her roaming daughter from under the coffee table. “Have a nice time.”

“Thank you dear” Giles replied walking upstairs to pack.

“Well little one, it’s you and me against the Big Bad Wolf, think we’ll stay safe?” Buffy asked her wriggling daughter, who simply babbled back at her smiling.

“Don’t know what I’m asking you for; you’ve been in love with him since the beginning. You little traitor!” She said, turning Katie on to her back and blowing raspberries on her belly, making her shriek with laughter.

******************************************************************************

Spike came home that evening to find Buffy and Katie in the kitchen, Katie restrained in her highchair and Buffy working at the stove.

“Hello nibblet” He muttered to the little girl, kissing her softly “Miss me?”

Katie babbled, clapping her hands, Buffy turned towards them laughing with her eyes sparkling, “I think that’s a yes!”

She looks so beautiful when she laughs he thought suddenly, makes me wanna kiss her senseless, make her mine. He pushed away the feeling “So love, where’s da?” He asked, noticing for the first time that his father wasn’t in the room.

“Um… He’s in the Caribbean.” Buffy blurted out unsure of Spikes reaction.

“Pardon?” Spike looked at her in shock.

Turning back to the cooker Buffy elaborated, “He got a last minute deal this morning; his flight was early this afternoon. He’ll be back in a couple of weeks.”

Two weeks alone with Buffy? Oh the possibilities, Spike thought, shifting uncomfortably as the evidence of those thoughts made its self known. He moved to the breakfast bar and sat down, idly playing with Katie, who had discovered the joys of dropping her toys, for the sole reason of getting the adults in her life to pick them up.

“Spike I was wondering…” Buffy started

“Yes pet?”

“Are you okay to look after Katie while I work? I mean I know that Giles does most of it and I really don’t want to put you out. I could talk to Tara… Explain I’m sure she’d be okay…”

“Buffy luv, don’t worry about it. It’s not a problem, like spending time with the little bit anyway, she’s more intelligent than most of my mates!”

“Thanks, I appreciate it”

Buffy was nervous when later that night after she had settled Katie down for the night Spike suggested that they watch a movie. She agreed though, thinking that if things got too heated for her she’d just plead tiredness and go to bed, without Spike. Just the thought of Spike and beds was enough to make her uncomfortable.

They settled on an old kung-foo movie and Spike was surprised to find out the Buffy liked these as much as him. Sitting together on the sofa, it didn’t take long for Buffy to curl up close to Spike, her head on his chest watching the movie intently. Spike, feeling like the luckiest bloke in the world, slipped his arm around Buffy and spent the rest of the movie smelling her hair.

******************************************************************************

The following evening Buffy was getting ready to go to work and Spike was chasing Katie around the living room, removing her from the areas that she most wanted to be. He shook his head at her many attempts to get into the alcohol cabinet, which was firmly locked.

“We’re raising a little alcoholic!” He muttered to himself with a smile.

Katie turned suddenly and looked him in the eye. “Da-da”

Spike was shocked as hell, what was he supposed to say to that? “No nibblet, Spike”

“Da-da”

“Sp-ike” Shaking his head, he heard a gasp and found a distraught Buffy standing in the doorway, her mouth open in shock.