Author's Chapter Notes:
Just to let you know, this chapter gives you a little insight into the watcher's mind and it's not a pretty place. There are no details but child abuse and murder are implied. If you don't like that sort of thing, don't read the chapter all you really need to know is that he is evil and twisted and will act soon.

The watcher has always been there, and he's still watching and listening...
He was watching them still, all of them and he was unable to contain his glee at the pain suffered by the blonde couple and Angel… Yes this would cause Angel great pain. It was wonderful. He hoped he would be able to stick around and watch the show after…

But that came later, he had yet to make any moves other than watching but his time was growing short. He had changed his appearance a little, but he didn’t want to be caught. Being caught would mean that he couldn’t have fun anymore and he planned to have a great deal of fun. Oh yes, he dreamed of blood and pain and he wanted to make this a reality again and again.

It had been hard for him to stay silent when he heard the couple’s argument. The pretty one, she had called the blonde man daddy. He had wanted to laugh out loud and he was hard pressed to stay still with this feeling of elation bouncing around inside of him. Angel was going to suffer and oh would that be good.

Watching the argument continuing and the blonde man walking out, he was tempted to follow him. He would be a great source of pain; he could even speak to him. Find out exactly want was making him suffer. But no. The pretty one was crying and he so loved the cries of the children, they soothed his heart and soul. He felt so much better when they were sobbing and leaving now was not an option.

The hours passed and the pretty one got over her tears; that was part of what he loved about children. They forgot about the pain so easily once it was gone and they were so surprised when it started again. They were trusting and the look in their eyes when they realized that he was the one hurting them, well it was the only thing better than their sobs.

The windows were open and he could hear the conversations going on, he could understand better where the pain was coming from. Angel’s wife on the phone to a friend, her guilt and fear making him smile. He loved it and it was a shame that it would have to end soon; he hadn’t had such a feast of pain since, well since Miami and that family.

He began to reminisce. He had kept them prisoners in their own home for weeks, played with the mother, who would do anything to keep her three children safe and the children… It was so much fun to play with them especially when he tied the mother to a chair and made her watch while he did.

Even she hadn’t been as much fun as Angel though. It had been an inspiration that made him decide to talk to him, make him chose. If he had realized the fun in that earlier, he would have had so much more fun with his other adventures. It had been Angel that had inspired him, made him that much better at causing pain.

That was why he left Angel alive. Angel had helped him fulfil his full potential and he had told him that after slitting the little twin’s throats. Angel had looked at him with his hard eyes and told him that if he left him alive he would hunt him down and kill him. He knew it was true, he knew that Angel would have no qualms about killing him but he felt a connection to Angel; there was a bond there.

He was pulled out of his musings by the return of the blonde man, the one with the bond with Angel’s wife. He resolved to pay attention, wouldn’t do to miss any of the fun.

He watched as the man entered the house and paced the living room. He was frustrated and upset, running his hands through his hair, muttering to himself. This went on for quite some time and still Angel’s wife didn’t come into the room. The sharp “Fuck it!” was clearly audible to him and he smiled as the blonde left the room.

It wasn’t long before both of them entered the room, clinging to each other, afraid of the words they were going to say to each other. He listened intently….

They both sank down onto the sofa, “You didn’t answer the question Spike. What are you sorry for?” he heard her say.

“I’m sorry for yelling at you. I’m sorry for walking out and most of all I’m sorry for putting that look on your face.”

“Spike, I was a bitch!”

“You…” he tried to interrupt her.

“No, let me finish.” He nodded indicating that she should continue. “I said a lot of things that I didn’t mean and I’m frightened. I’m frightened that Angel will be angry when he realizes that his daughter is growing up without him and I’m frightened that Katie will grow up to hate me when she realizes that I’ve taken her away from her father. This is not easy for me Spike. I love Angel.”

Oh he was enjoying this, the look on the man’s face when she had told him she still loved her husband, this was such fun. He continued to listen.

“I love Angel, but I’m filing for divorce.”

Now she was suffering and he was drinking it up, and anticipating Angel’s pain. Oh yes this was better than he could have imagined.

“I can’t forgive him; I don’t have it in me. I wish I could, I wish that none of this ever happened. But then…”

“I wouldn’t have met you and I care about you a lot but nothing can happen between us. I owe Angel that much at least. I can’t hurt him running into the arms of his brother.”

Angel’s brother? Well, that made sense; he wonders why he never caught that before.

“Buffy he hit you. I know I don’t know the whole story but I don’t think you owe him a damn thing.”

Oh Angel hit his precious wife, the one he was praying for that day in the warehouse. This was priceless, more than he could ever have imagined so he listened.

“You’re right you don’t know the whole story and because of that you can’t pass judgement. I’m sorry, Spike. This is the way it has to be.”

She had stood and went to leave the room, he was tempted to move now, see if she would cry in her room again. He did so love those precious scenes, but then,

“Buffy I love you.”

And she had walked out, leaving the man with his pain and the unnoticed listener who was drinking it in. This was perfect, he had never been happier; with so much pain to enjoy he was sad that it would all be over soon. The perfect time was nearly here.

He had almost turned and left Angel’s brother to his drinking, but then she had walked back into the room and he paid closer attention.

“Spike…”

“Pet, I’m really not in the mood for anymore of this right now.”

“What is it with you two? Were you taught that alcohol is the solution to everything, in the cradle?”

So his Angel had a little drinking problem then, how nice for him. Maybe that was why he had hit his darling wife.

“S’not a solution pet, it’s a distraction. Are no solutions.”

“You and Angel! Both of you far too happy to reach for the bottle! God!”

“Did you want something else? Or did you just come back to berate me for my drinking habits?”

She nearly left then. He realized he was hoping she would stay, hoping that this would get more fun.

“Yes, I came back to tell you what happened to Angel. Spike please stop drinking.”

“Fair enough.”

He watched as Angel’s wife sat on the table, directly in front of the blonde man, Angel’s brother, he reminded himself again.

“Angel was working a case, a difficult one because it was two weeks and there had been no ransom demand, two beautiful little twins stolen from their home.”

Now he was interested, he very rarely got to see the reactions of other people to his little bit of fun, he listened intently.

“Anyway, Angel got called and he went to meet a man who claimed to be the kidnapper. I don’t know what happened, but he was missing for days and I was frantic. I found out later from Gunn, that’s Angel’s partner, that he had been knocked out and when he woke he found himself tied up with the children and a madman. The children were slaughtered, Spike, and Angel was forced to watch as he mutilated them before he killed them.”

It was wonderful; he decided seeing her sitting there crying. He should try to do this more often, get close to the families. He had never realized what a source of pain they could be.

He watched as they talked more, as Angel’s brother walked out of the room and she began to drink. He wondered why Angel hadn’t told her the full story, hadn’t told her that it was his fault that the children had been mutilated. Not that he had given Angel much option, but still he had to resist the urge to walk into the house and tell her exactly what happened, tell her exactly what Angel had chosen to do. He was sure that the result of that would be so wonderful, more wonderful than her sitting there drinking, her eyes full of pain and tears.

But he couldn’t. He was too close to his objective, too close to the pretty one to give it all up now.