It was mid morning when Buffy and Spike reached the church. It wasn't much to look at. White bricks, some even missing, made up this rubble of a place. Ivy and wild grass grew high up covering most of the weathered features. It was a church, nevertheless where some eccentric priest is supposed to dwell inside. How and why, they had no idea. He must take day trips just to get food and water.

They approached the front which had no door, just an archway greeted them covered in ivy and spider webs. Spike took the lead, waving them out of the way. This place was just like the outside, only with white bricks scattered about.

"Ok, so this priest guy lives here?" Buffy asked.

Spike shook his head, glancing around. He couldn't see how anyone could actually set up house here. His crypt was more homey than this dilapidated church. There was nothing.

"No, a priest guy lives here." a tall man said, pointing to a hole in the wall.

A startled Buffy and Spike turned to see a man that stood , staring at them. His dark hair grew long and wavy, and his eyes seemed blacker than night. He wore a brown cloak, sort of like an Jedi robe from Star Wars.

"I'm sorry. I'm Paul. You are?" he asked them.

Buffy moved closer to Spike, looking at this priest strangely. He was young. Wally said he'd be old. And Great Protector? He didn't seem like he'd hurt a fly.

"I'm Buffy. This is Spike."

"Buffy and Spike. Welcome. May I assist you with anything. People rarely come up this far," Paul asked.

"Um, we were sent here by Wally Gretho"

"Never heard of him. Why did he send you here?"

"Right. We have a slight problem. First, are you the Great Protector?" Spike asked him, narrowing his eyes.

Paul's eyes bulged. "Great Pro...what do you want?" he asked defensively.

"Look, we were told that the Great Protector of the piece of the Gem of Anu would help us. Are you him?" Buffy asked, more aggressively. She was tired and cranky from walking so much and was in no mood for games.

"I have nothing for you to take. Please leave," Paul told them as he backed away.

Spike's blood boiled. He was just as cranky as Buffy and exhausted from this entire trek. He walked fast towards Paul and stood inches from him. Paul's eyes widened more. He almost tripped on his own robe as he backed away from Spike.

"Tell us if you know what we're talking about," Spike said grabbing his robe and bunching it in a fist.

"Spike!" Buffy yelled, racing over to them to break it up.

"Look, I... my dad," Paul said.

"You're dad, what?" Spike said through his teeth.

"My dad is the Great Protector. He's through there. Please, we are peaceful people," Paul begged.

Spike let go of his robe and smoothed out the wrinkles he caused.

"Sorry. We have come a long way and we really need to see your dad. Now," Spike said.

Paul wearily led them through the hole in the wall. They walked in darkness for a few seconds then they were back outside. But not the outside they saw before. In front of them was a vast garden. Buffy sighed at the beauty of it all. Flowers, trees, fountains, and up ahead there was a small waterfall that ran down to a rocky watering hole. How could this place exist like this, in the mountains? It was breathtaking.

Paul led them further towards the waterfall. A figure was sitting in the distance on a bench. He turned when he heard them. He was an older man. Gray hair and beard. He wore a robe similar to Paul's. He stood when he saw his son was not alone.

"Guests? What a pleasant surprise," the man said.

"This is Spike and Buffy. They needed to speak with you regarding the Gem," Paul told him with a shaky voice.

The man peered hard at Buffy and Spike then his expression softened. "Ah, you know of the Gem, and that I have a piece of it?" the man asked, looking at Spike.

"Yeah. We were told we needed to get all the pieces together. We have friends on their way now to retrieve the other pieces," Spike told him.

"My name is Clark. I have been sworn to protect this gem piece with my life. Why would you be sent to retrieve it from me?"

Buffy and Spike sat with Clark. Spike did most of the talking, and explained to Clark how imperative it was they get back home and bring the demons with them. Paul stood nearby and eves-dropped with great curiosity. Clark nodded his head a few times, looking back and forth between Spike and Buffy. He seemed sympathetic and willing to believe them.

Buffy was just relieved that they were finally here and this Clark guy was nice. As he and Spike spoke, she drifted in thought. She remembered she and Dawn laying on Dawn's bed talking. Dawn had asked her if she'd ever marry Riley. Buffy remembered laughing.

"Oh, come on Buffy. What if he asked you?" Dawn teased.

"Dawn, Riley is sweet. But we're not on that level. Plus, I'm way too young, and so is he."

"Fine, but Buffy. You're not getting any younger!"

"Bite your tongue!"

"No, I mean. If you can't see yourself marrying Riley, then why waste your time," Dawn said.

Buffy looked at her in disbelief at how wise her young sister was. Wait, she wasn't aloud to be this smart yet.

"Okay, I know. But sometimes you just have to live in the now. Don't think about what's to come. Just enjoy each other while you can."

"Right. And when you get bored, you can move on to the next guy, right?" Dawn smiled hard at Buffy, knowing she was pissing her off. And she was right. Buffy retaliated with a good swift hit with a pillow on Dawn's head.

"Ow!" Dawn cried, picking up another pillow and hitting Buffy over the head.

Buffy laughed at the memory. She missed that. She missed those times. Buffy knew Dawn was okay, she felt it, but she still wanted to see her and to know it first hand. She wondered what Dawn would say now about her and Spike. Dawn loved Spike, then hated him, then loved him again. Buffy shook her head at how alike she and her sister were.

"Right?" Spike said, eying Buffy.

Buffy shook off her daydream and nodded. She had no clue what he was talking about, but she figured Spike would want her to agree.

"Then it's agreed," Clark said cheerfully.

Paul brought over a platter of food for them to snack on. Clark asked them many questions about their home world and was fascinated at Buffy's occupation as the slayer.

"This is quite extraordinary. A woman chosen to fight the evil on your world. It makes sense, though. Balance. You brought balance to your world. This world has been without demons and monsters for so long, people forgot what evil was. Many locals began acting out in a hostile type behavior, because they had nothing to compare it to. When you know what evil is, you know what not to become. Or what to fight against. You can't have God without the Devil. We need to see evil, just as much as God needs the Devil. Without one, there couldn't be the other." Clark told them.

"Got that right," Spike mumbled.

Spike and Buffy were in no rush to hit the trails again. Although they were both extremely anxious to get back to Marno with the gem piece, their aching feet and tired legs told them to rest for the remainder of the day. They'll just start up tomorrow. Clark was insisting they spend the night. He showed them a small hut he built where they could sleep. It was cute. Like a little guest hut, next to a bigger one that belonged to Clark and his son. It was sort of like a paradise hidden way up in the mountains. Buffy was sure no one knew about this place, and the locals must have just labeled Clark an eccentric recluse. What he had up here was worth keeping a secret. Paul informed Buffy that they could get some rest before dinner. He was going to prepare them a special dinner for their journey.

"This is very nice of them, huh?" Buffy said to Spike as she lowered herself into the warm bathtub.

"Very," Spike agreed as he tore off his clothes to join her.

Spike sat in the tub facing Buffy. He sighed at the pleasures of warm water covering his flesh. He couldn't believe that once upon a time he thought that being a vampire was the best thing in the world and that no feeling compared to it. How wrong he was as he felt Buffy slide her leg up his, gently moving it up and down. Nothing compared to being human. Ever. No matter what senses were heightened after becoming a vampire. Nothing was like this.

Spike was lost in his slayer. He watched her playfully tease him as she let her breast peak through the suds. She ran her hands over them, brushing away the soap. Spike felt his face heat up. His eyes followed her hands as she gently ran her fingers through her hair.

"What if this all a dream? What if we were to wake up tomorrow in a dark, wet alley in Los Angeles?" Spike asked her.

"Please, no more dreams and weird reality spells!" Buffy said.

Spike leaned over and kissed Buffy. She giggled a little in his mouth before she met his with a more passionate kiss. Her fingers wrapped around his hair, gently playing with his loose curls. Spike brought her closer, making her straddle his lap. He still couldn't believe their bodies were so connected like this. Like they were one. They both looked at the door when the sound of knocking was heard.

"Dinner's almost ready," Paul announced.

The table was set with a huge plate in the center. A turkey sat on it, with potatoes and vegetables surrounding it. It looked delicious. Candles were laid out just enough for some light. They each had a plate, utensils and a glass. As they made their way to their seats, Paul held the chairs out for them. Buffy and Spike bowed their heads as they sat. Clark came out, holding what looked like a bottle of champagne. Paul took the bottle and popped the cork. He poured them each a glass and handed it out.

"To the newly engaged. May life together be blissful and full of love. May you hold each others hand through thick and thin," Clark said as he held up the glass.

Spike and Buffy looked at each other in disbelief. What was he talking about?

"Engaged? Us?" Buffy asked him.

Clark shot a look at Paul and shook his head. Paul smiled, sheepishly.

"I'm so sorry, my son, he... was misinformed. He is somewhat of a judge of character, seeing people and he..."

Spike thought of the ring again. How would Paul know about that? And why would he assume they were already engaged? He peaked ay Buffy who seemed as confused as he.

They proceeded with dinner. Clark spoke, taking breaks here and there to swallow his food. "Now, I don't want to be nosy, but you there. You weren't always this way, were you?" Clark asked Spike.

Spike's eyes shot over to Buffy, then back and forth between Paul and Clark. He remained silent.

"No need to be frightened, boy," Clark assured Spike.

Still Spike didn't know what to say. He wasn't sure if Clark meant, vampire or just a troubled man. Maybe he can meet him somewhere in the middle. "I was different, yes. I had problems."

Clark looked at Paul and smiled. Paul took it as his cue to speak. "I am a seer. I know many people in this world think that magic and the supernatural are gone, but it's not."

Clark set his gaze upon Buffy. "Such a wonderful world you came from. A world where a demon killer, or shall we say, Vampire Slayer, can fall in love with a man she was called upon to destroy. Amazing."

Buffy's eyes widened when she looked over at Spike. Clark knows.

"I was... for a long time," Spike admitted. He glanced at Clark, who didn't seem at all shocked by his words. Buffy was nervously sipping her wine, pretending to be casual. Spike knew she was freaking out inside.

"A vampire who knew love. You knew right from wrong. You fought the wrong inside you. You fought it all away. Incredible! No such creature has ever done that, at least none that I've heard of. Then you became human... a reward. You know that right?" Paul sipped his wine, waiting for Spike's answer.

"I'm not sure why. I've done good things, and I've helped people, but I don't know what made me so special." Spike looked over at Buffy. She watched him with a certain sadness in her eyes. He knew she was wondering why he was bringing this up again, but he still felt a small twinge of doubt in his heart. Not about her, just about the fact that he was brought back and now human after so many heroes in the world die and never come back.

"Maybe because you have an important role to play. Maybe you two were meant for something much greater than just ridding my world of demons. Maybe after all the times you two have saved the world, it is time now to start living. For real. Settle down. Start a family," Clark said, looking at Buffy.

"I'm a big believer of family. I lost my wife many years ago. A time I wish not to relive. But I wouldn't trade my time with her for anything in the world. She gave me my Paul," Clark said. "Now, enough of this serious talk. Come, let us sit by the lake and enjoy some music. Paul plays a mean guitar!"

They settled around a small fire by the lake. Buffy sat in between Spike's legs on the grass as Clark made himself comfortable on top of a smooth rock. Paul came out with his guitar and sat across from his father. He strummed a few notes, singing a sweet melody. The song reminded Spike of a Paul Mccartney type song, with whom he was very fond of. Spike and Buffy clapped when he finished. Paul stood and rose to take a bow.

"Hey, can you play?" Paul asked Spike and Buffy.

"A little," Spike answered.

Buffy snapped her head around to look at him. "You do?"

"I used to. Back in the 60's. It was the thing to do," Spike said, lifting his shoulders.

"Play something," Buffy said to him.

Spike rose and accepted the guitar from Paul. He sat on the rock and began strumming. Buffy watched in amazement. He looked so perfectly sexy up there, his strong fingers plucking away creating a really sweet sound. Buffy watched in awe. His voice was so passionate, and smooth. He sat back down next to Buffy after his tune. They sat for another hour hearing heroic tales from Paul and Clark. Spike still couldn't figure out why they assumed he was engaged to Buffy, unless it was something he saw in their future. The thought was just too unreal to Spike and he blew it off as something that would probably never happen. Probably.

"Wow, I'm exhausted. I think I'm going to call it a night. Spike?" Buffy said, eying him.

Spike, getting it, quickly rose to his feet. He held his hand out to help her up. "Yes, yes. Exhausted. We should..."

Before he could finish, Buffy was already on her feet saying goodnight to Paul and Clark. She led Spike back to their little hut and closed the door. Without a second thought, she was tearing his shirt off. He did the same, kissing her passionately.

"Spike... I can't get enough of you," Buffy whispered.

They were out of their clothes and Spike had Buffy pinned to the wall. He reached down and grabbed her legs. Buffy gasped. The whole hut seem to shake from the activity.

"Spike, we brought down the house once before..," Buffy teased.

Spike lifted his head from her neck and smiled. "Yeah, remember that?" He lifted her and laid her on the ground.

Buffy lifted her head when she heard a sound from outside. "What was that?" she asked.

Spike stopped moving and cocked his head. "Sounds like Clark and Paul just went inside."

Buffy smiled wide, bringing her hands up to Spike's hair. "Let's go outside to the waterfall. It'll be awesome."

Spike lifted himself off of her and quickly grabbed a blanket from the bed to wrap them up with. They shared the blanket as they stumbled to the door. Buffy laughed loudly, covering her mouth. Spike chuckled at their lack of coordination.

"Bugger this," Spike said. He lifted her off the ground and carried her outside, trying hard to keep the blanket over her. Of course, he just let the great outdoors see all of his bits. But he didn't care, as long as his woman was covered.

Buffy laughed at him. "Oh my God, if they came out now?"

"They'd get a good look at my firm arse," Spike joked.

He carried her to the waterfall, glancing back to make sure they were out of site. Buffy threw the blanket off of her and hopped out of his arms. She turned to Spike and smiled right before she jumped into the water. The moonlight shimmered off the water, giving it a picturesque look. Buffy went under and came up, shining in the light. Spike quickly jumped in after her, nearly colliding with Buffy.

"This is so beautiful, Spike," Buffy said.

She threw her arms around him and kissed his lips. Spike held her tight and moved slowly into her. It had to be an anomaly. No one should ever be able to move like that. Or at least, no one but Spike. She felt his lips on her neck, biting her. It filled her body with heat. He led her to the edge of the lake, lifting her out of the water and on to the blanket he once had around her. Buffy wrapped her arms around him and kissed his forehead. The cool air swept over their bodies like a blanket. They stared at the night sky full of stars in silence. A few minutes later, they were asleep.

"Should I be happy for you two?" Drusilla asked him.

Spike opened his eyes. He gasped when he saw Drusilla walking near them. She had pain in her eyes. He had never seen her look so sad. He rose slowly so not to wake Buffy. The blanket they once had underneath them was now a few feet away. Spike threw it over him and walked over to Drusilla.

"I'm sorry, Dru. I didn't know you were real," Spike confessed.

Drusilla turned from him and began to beat the air. Spike jumped in front of her and tried to grab hold of her arms. His hands just went through her.

"You can't kill me again, William." Drusilla sat on a rock, keeping her head down. Spike's heart hurt for her. Here he was, alive and with the slayer and she was dead and gone. Dust in the wind.

He walked over to her and sat next to her, looking up at her sad face. He brought his hand to her chin but again, it just fell through her. "I am truly sorry," he said again. Spike's heart broke when he saw actual tears run down her cheeks.

"I can't find a place to fit. No one wants me. Not heaven, not hell. I'm trapped," she said.

Spike's eyes grew wide. He realized something about her. She wasn't talking crazy. She was actually speaking normally.

"What do you mean? he asked.

"I don't know where to go. William." Drusilla looked back down at her feet.

"I had no choice. You were trying to kill me," he said, wondering if she was even listening to him.

She looked at him. "I know. And I'm sorry for that. I'm sorry for everything. I see clearly now. Now that I'm out of that demon's body. I can see what I was, and what I turned you in to." She smiled at him, which shocked Spike. He was equally shocked at how eloquent she spoke.

"I am proud of you. I am proud that you were able to fight it. That evil thing we were turned into."

Spike felt the tears fall from his eyes. His Drusilla was finally free. She was free from that corpse's shell and now, wait. What was she?

"Drusilla, what are you now? Where are you now?" Spike asked her.

"I'm trapped on a plane. But, you're not in the right dimension. You know that, right?"

"Yes, I know."

"It was that bad man I worked with to get to you. Jean Trevaud. He sent you all here."

Spike's face flushed. That fucking prick! "And the Immortal?" he asked.

"Yes, he's after Buffy. He's going to try to take her from you. Even if he has to kill you."

"How do you know?" Spike asked, his blood boiling.

Drusilla didn't answer. She looked up at the sky as if she was listening to something only she could hear. "Your seed is inside her. Protect her, Spike."

"Dru?"

"Spike, I know now why I came to you," she said as she rose. She closed in on him.

"I have to go now. I have wonderful places to go. Please be careful," Drusilla said to him.

Spike understood. She was going to heaven now. He was her last stop. Spike's tears fell freely as he watched her disappear into the night.

"Goodbye Drusilla."

Spike lifted Buffy from the grass. He carried her back to their hut and lowered her on to the bed. After watching her sleep for while, he slipped in next to her. He never held her as tight as he did right then. Drusilla's words eased him and scared him at the same time. He wondered where the Immortal was, if he was here and after Buffy. He wondered about his 'seed' and if she meant what he thinks she meant.