Buffy awoke, alone. She lifted her head looking around for Spike, but he wasn't in their room. Buffy rose, reaching for a silk robe laid out for her. She threw it on, running her hands against the smoothness.

"Nice," she said.

Buffy heard Spike's voice outside. He was laughing. Getting this gem was easier than she thought it would be. Sure, they had to hike like a billion miles. Aside from Spike having a run in with the exhaustion, this has been sort of like a honeymoon, without the marrying part. Buffy opened the door and stepped outside. Spike, Clark, and Paul were seated around the table, talking and drinking coffee. Buffy smiled at Spike, who turned to her. He seemed so at peace. More so than usual. He gleamed.

"Morning, luv," he said.

Buffy joined them at the table. Paul quickly rose and walked over to the kitchen. Clark motioned for Buffy to make herself a cup of coffee or tea. "So, Paul's real excited about the trip. He's been up for a few hours now, packing," Clark said.

Buffy just smiled, having no clue what he was talking about. "Is he going on a trip?" Buffy asked.

"Well, he's going with you folk. Don't you remember?" Clark asked.

"Huh?"

Spike leaned in and grabbed Buffy's hand, rubbing his other hand over it. "Yes, Buffy. Remember you agreed? Last night?" Spike leaned in and whispered in her ear. "When you weren't listening..."

Spike smiled wide at her, knowing she knew now she should have been listening last night.

"Oh, right. Yeah. It'll be a blast," Buffy stammered.

Clark rose. "I'll be right back. I was preparing a food bag for you all, and of course the gem piece."

He went into his hut. Buffy smirked at Spike. "So, preacher man's son is coming with?"

"Clark insisted. It's just one more for the road, right?"

"Yea, I guess." Buffy sighed.

Paul came back with a plate full pancakes. They looked so good. Buffy's mind went to the time on the hotel when Spike couldn't wait to eat for the first time in his human body. His sensuality to food really excited her. He could appreciate what others took for granted.

"Mm. I was feeling a bit peckish," Spike said.

Buffy just stared at Spike as he shoved the food in his mouth. He caught her smiling and gave her the widest grin, showing the food still left inside there. Buffy laughed. "Pig," she joked.

After breakfast, they all met at the front of the church, bags in hand. Clark came out with a few sacks full of food and a small wooden box. He handed it to Spike.

"Now, I don't have to tell you how precious this item is. I know it's in good hands, as well as my son. Please take care, and many blessings to your future together. I hope you get home safe and sound so you two can really start living," Clark said.

Spike pressed his lips together and nodded at Clark. He glanced down at Buffy, who seemed truly touched by Clark's words.

"Thank you so much for you hospitality and kindness," Buffy told him.

Clark reached in and hugged them both, before turning to his son. They exchanged a heartfelt goodbye, then Paul turned to Spike. "Ready?"

"Ready," Spike said.


The downhill part of this trek was much, much easier. They were actually making better time. They stopped for lunch a few hours later, which was a great time to get to know Paul a little bit better. He shared his childhood stories of when his dad was the most popular man in town. People came up here for weekend retreats of prayer and relaxation. Seemed like a good time, back then. Spike could tell Paul missed them.

"So, people stopped coming then?" Spike asked him.

"They stopped. It's what happens, I guess. My father went into a depression after my mother died. After that, he never had that same spark like before. The locals noticed it and stopped coming."

"Sounds ungrateful."

"If you look at it like that. People need something greater than themselves to look up to. Once that someone or something falters, it is no longer perfect. It becomes more like themselves, which they try so desperately to escape."

Spike listened to the guy with enthusiasm. He seemed wise and truly selfless. He could never live that way. Non judgmental and forgiving like that. Spike was the king of grudge. Held one for Angel for a long long time. Buffy, too. Way back, when he blamed her for everything that went wrong in his life. Now, feeling the way he did for her. How could he have wanted to harm a hair on her pretty little head? He had been a vampire not one week ago. And without a soul, more than two years ago. Why did it seem a thousand miles away from him now? Must be the humanity. His life, forever altered by one event. Hearing Buffy say those sweet words. "I love you" sent Spike into lala land.

He didn't notice Paul had stopped talking, and Buffy began handing them their lunch. She was so motherly, sometimes, the way she tended to him, and now Paul. Spike could remember the way she looked after Dawn. He knew it wasn't because she was a key, it was because she was her sister. Buffy even trusted Spike with the task of keeping Dawn safe. That blew him away. After all the crap he pulled, chaining her up and stalking her. She trusted him. Sort of.

Spike winced just thinking about the events that followed. Buffy's lifeless body lying there. Spike wanted to run to her, bring her back. He couldn't of course. That was Willow's job, unbeknownst to him. If Spike would have found out about that spell, he would have stopped it. He would have killed them if he had to. Especially carpenter boy, with his smug 'I am Buffy's best friend and I know what she needs' attitude. So, Spike would have stopped it, Buffy would still be in heaven, and none of this would be happening, now. That was even more unbearable to imagine.

Spike knew it was normal to feel selfish and be thankful she was here now. Although, finding out how happy she was, she needed to come back. Poor Slayer. Never getting a break. So he won't either. No matter what was in their future, he knew that trouble was always around the corner. But, with Buffy, it didn't seem to bother him. They'll be together.

The three of them hiked on until nightfall. Paul quickly bid them goodnight. Spike could tell he was tired from the walk, as was he. Paul grabbed a few blankets and disappeared behind a rock. Buffy turned to Spike with a crooked smile.

"Are we that boring?"

"Must be tuckered. Good thing too. I've been waiting to talk to you all day," Spike said as he sat next to Buffy. She grinned, waiting for him to continue. "Last night, I saw Drusilla."

Buffy's grin turned to a frown. "Saw? Like she's alive? Or you know what I mean."

"No, it was like, her essence. Her ghost, so to speak. She told me something about Jean and The Immortal. She said they were behind all of this," he said, trying to read Buffy's expression. She seemed stressed as he spoke. He knew that the last thing she wanted to hear was Drusilla's name, but he had to tell her this information. Even if it meant her getting up and walking away from him, as she did just now.

"Buffy, are you listening?" Spike rose to his feet and walked behind her.

"Yea, I heard you. So, what do you mean, behind all of this?" Buffy asked him.

"Drusilla said..."

Buffy turned and shot a look of anger towards Spike. He felt the breath almost leave his body. "Screw what Drusilla said. How could you trust what she tells you after what she nearly did..." Buffy looked at the wound on Spike's neck which seemed to be taking forever to heal. Spike brushed his fingers across it, then cringed.

"I know what you're thinking... but Buffy, she wasn't lying. She wasn't the Drusilla we know. She's..."

"Different? A ghost? A truth telling ghost?" Buffy teased.

Spike was angry now. Buffy wasn't listening to a word he was saying, other than Drusilla this, or Drusilla that. She was bleedin' jealous. Jealous of a spirit. Of a woman who could never take Buffy's place, ever.

"Okay, you just prance around being jealous while I have important news. News that I'm sure you'll want to hear."

Buffy smirked. "Okay, okay, what..."

"First of all, you have to start trusting me. If I felt something was important and worth looking into, please trust me." Spike pleaded.

Buffy turned away, a little embarrassed by her behavior. "I trust you, Spike. Sorry. Please, continue."

"That Jean guy banished us here, but I guess he's here too, with The Immortal. The Immortal is after you, and wants my head."

"Great. More fun awaits. If they're here, where do you think they are?"

"Don't know."

Spike held back the 'seed' part as he wasn't entirely sure what she meant but it. Well, he knew but he wasn't sure how accurate that piece of information was. But then it hit him, when Kinara told him about not letting Buffy drink alcohol. His face filled up with heat. Oh my god, could it be? He felt nervous, suddenly. They weren't careful, at all. He was human. Very human. How could they be this careless? Why wasn't he even thinking about what being with Buffy like this could do.

"Buffy, there is one more thing." Spike continued after a very long pause.

Buffy was now laying next to Spike under the blanket. He looked down at her noticing she was asleep already. He chuckled then joined her into a deep slumber.


The carriage sped up the mountainside road. Nora drove, Kennedy sitting next to her. Watching this small woman guide these horses in such an aggressive manner really impressed her. Here she thought learning a stick shift was hell. In the back Willow sat staring at the gem. So many thoughts came into her head about it's power and how one single item could be used to control demons. How useful this would be in her home world. Yet, there was so much more she needed to learn about it.

The carriage stopped abruptly.

"Guys, what's up?" Willow called out.

"Uh, I think we found something." Kennedy yelled back.

Nora stood over the broken carriage that laid on its side. Her mouth was wide open. She neared it, lifting some pieces of wood, trying to make out if anyone was in there. She sighed with relief when she saw it was empty.

"This is my mother's carriage. She must have went the rest on foot." Nora looked back at Willow and Kennedy. Willow was examining the ground, trailing her eyes up the road and back.

"Nora, there are tracks here. They proceed the carriage. Someone must have picked her up. See," Willow said, pointing to the tracks in the dirt.

Nora eyed them curiously. "You're right."

"Then let's follow them, maybe it'll lead us to your mother," Kennedy suggested.

And that's exactly what they did. They followed the tracks until they came to a fork. Nora stopped the carriage and eyed the ground closely. "The tracks are going west. The only place that way is Marno."

"Why would she go there?" Willow asked.

"Don't know, but if that's where these tracks lead us, and you guys need to go there anyway, I say we go," Nora said before snapping the reins.


Giles, after doing the math, figured the group would probably be arriving by sundown. He quite enjoyed spending time with Gretta, Deirdre and even Lorne. He had really kept the life going in here, making drinks like there was no tomorrow. Giles even got drunk the night prior. All he really remembered was bragging about his so-called music career, had he not walked in his father's foot steps and become a watcher. Of course, after waking up on the floor near the fire, he realized what a mistake it was to drink that much.

With his aching hangover, Giles read on. There were a few more books to hit, and he couldn't imagine doing anything else right now. A particular book really filled him with curiosity. It talked about a secret cult that dwell on this land. It was a eccentric bunch who believed in the second coming of the demons, and this chosen one. What was intriguing was that they believed this chosen one was of their world, not the demon's. It made Giles wonder about the possibility that a chosen one could be called here, in this dimension. Without demons or vampires to fight, there really would not be a reason to pursue this, but what if there was a woman who had the powers of a slayer? It would be extraordinary to learn of other chosen girls in other dimensions. Giles was sure it had to exist. Or at least, something similar.


"Shut up Harmony. I don't even want to hear your voice. We have been stuck here for two days, with minimal food and drink, and these pathetic cushions for a bed. It's your fault we're here." Xander was so mad. They have been for days. Issa would try to make light of it, but being held by some righteous holy roller men was a hard thing to see positively. And now, hearing Harmony complain about not having blood, his own blood was at it's boiling point.

"You never said I couldn't talk to anyone!" Harmony yelled.

"Talking. Good. I don't mind talking. Biting people? Bad. Especially people that want to kill us!"

"How the hell was I suppose to know that?"

"So not the point, Einstein! You should not have vamped out. That was the most stupid thing you could have done. Now we're in this dumb holding cell, probably about to die. Thanks!"

Harmony pouted and walked to the opposite side of the cell. She felt trapped, and well, that goes without saying. But trapped with Xander. It made it that much worse. She wanted to bite him so bad. Just drain him dry. And maybe his cute girlfriend too. Harmony cursed herself for not being quick enough. She could have drained those two guys and be done with it.

Issa approached an angered Xander. "Honey. We'll get through this. We'll just explain to them our situation. I'm sure it'll all work out."

"Issa, these guys want us dead! You heard the head priest guy. He said some king ordered them to kill anything not of this world. Us, Issa. That means, us!"

Xander paced. There was no doubt in his mind that they were toast. Why would they pity them? Never in a million years. To these guys, they were aliens who mean to bring harm to their existence. Hell, if the roles were reversed, he wouldn't trust them either.


Buffy, Spike, and Paul were happy to reach the small town where they had spent the night a few days ago. Spike wanted to visit Kinara and see how she and her daughter were doing. Her neighbor informed Spike that she had gone to Marno with her daughter. "Good, I'll see her there," Spike said to himself.

Spike joined Buffy and Paul outside the inn. A carriage was already waiting for them. Just one more day, and they'll be back in Marno, and hopefully, everyone else will be there. They will get the gem back together and get home. His mind drifted as the carriage took off. Spike even felt himself doze off for a little while. Buffy had already fallen asleep on his chest. He held her tight. This was his love. His woman. And even after all the bullshit, he loves her. And she loves him. That was all that mattered right now. Oh, and getting home of course. Paul had fallen into silent prayer. Spike eyed him once and smiled, then he fell asleep.

Suddenly Buffy awoke with start. She lifted her head, looking around frantically. They heard a struggle outside, then what sounded like a slap, or punching sound. It didn't sound right at all.

"Wait here," Spike said to Buffy and Paul.

"Spike, I'm going out with you," Buffy protested.

"You need to stay here with Paul. I'll be right back." Spike didn't take no for an answer this time. Buffy, surprisingly didn't press the issue. She just nodded and looked over at the shaken priest.

"It'll be okay. I'm sure it's nothing," Buffy assured him.

Spike opened the door of the carriage and stepped down. He quickly shut it, looking up at the driver seat which was empty.

"This can't be good."

Spike's back was struck by something hard. Before he could turn around, that same hard object smashed into his face. Spike fell down to the ground, unconscious.

"Get the spell ready." The Immortal instructed.

Jean and Sergio grabbed hold of Spike's arms and dragged him into their carriage. The Immortal looked back at them and smiled.

"Let's go." Jean said.

Sergio recited something in Sumerian. Buffy moved, noticing Spike was too quiet. She opened the carriage door and gasped. Before she could lift her fist, her body went limp and she fell, unconscious. The Immortal, happy the spell worked, motioned for Sergio to leave.

Before The Immortal left, he wrote a note for her and pinned it onto the rein of one of the horses. Smiling, he made his way back to Sergio. Sergio held the carriage door open for him as he slipped in next to a unconscious Spike.

"This is going to be fun," Jean said, sitting across from them.

Paul immediately moved to Buffy's aide.. He peered a few feet yonder and noticed the driver was unconscious as well. When he rose to check on him, he felt a hand grab his ankle. He gasped.

"Spike. Where is..." Buffy tried to speak but he was still dazed from the blow to his head.

"Buffy, just lay still." Paul instructed.

Buffy, ignoring him, rose and slowly made it to her feet. Paul watched her in disbelief at how someone can be so spry after being unconscious so soon before. Buffy ran to the carriage, motioning for Paul to check on the driver.

"Spike?" Buffy said, a little loudly.

"I think he's is gone. There were people, I heard..."

Buffy was now in panic mode. She knew exactly who it must have been.

"Buffy, I have a bad feeling about this," Paul said, looking back down at the dazed driver.

She walked a bit further, noticing tracks in the road. They were horse tracks accompanied by wheels. There was another carriage here. Her head snapped around, trying to see anything in the distance. Nothing in sight. The sun was going down, which filled her even more with fear. How were they going to find him?

"Buffy I think you may want to see this," Paul called out.

She ran over to Paul who was holding a piece of paper. He handed it to her. Se accepted it with shaking hands. Before she read it, she tried to get a handle on his expression. And it was what she feared. He looked spooked. Buffy wearily looked down at the writing.

Dimensions could never keep me away, my sweet Buffy.
I have him and he'll be fine. For now.
If you want me to keep him alive,
there are a few things you and I will need to work out.
See you in Marno.-The Immortal

Buffy's heart froze. All the times she failed spmeone ran through her head. She couldn't deal with this. This overwhelming feeling of helplessness. There was nothing she could do. But that's where she was wrong."Paul, can you drive one of these?"

"A little, not much.."

Get on, we have to get to Marno a little faster, okay?"

That was it. The Immortal was dead. She was going to enjoy seeing him die by her hands. The fact that he had Spike made him want to rip every bone out of his body.