Their carriage took them as far as it could, but now it was up to Buffy, Spike and their feet. They didn't seem to mind. They were both in incredible shape, although Spike would get tuckered quickly, getting used to the human limitations. There was a path that spiraled up the mountain. From looking up, it seemed to go halfway, then disappear. Buffy wasn't sure how easy it will be after that. Spike chuckled at the fact that most of the path was lined with goldish bricks that were fading under the sun.

"Follow the yellow brick road?" Spike joked.

Buffy laughed, looking down in amusement. She linked arms with him and began a little skip.

"Buffy, I'm still Spike, ya know. I don't skip!" He smiled at her.

Buffy laughed, looking back at him as she let go of his arm. "Fine. See you up there," she teased, turning and continuing her skip up the yellow brick road.

Spike pressed his lips together in a smile, watching her disappear around a bend. He quickly jogged up behind her and grabbed her waist, lifting her up in the air.

Buffy laughed in his arms as he turned her around, sliding her down his body. She kissed him hard as he held her tight. She felt safe in his arms. Always had. It's what drew her to him in the first place. After being ripped from heaven, being terrified to live another day, he was there. With those arms.

"So, are we actually going to have to pitch tent here?" Spike said lowering her.

"Well, not here but yea, except, without a tent," Buffy said.

"Just you, me, and nature." Spike looked around as if the thought of nature irked him.

"It's the nature part that scares me. What if wild animals..." Buffy shared in his annoyance.

He interrupted her by grabbing her closer to him. She gasped. "You're the only wild animal here, pet."

She smiled, as she struggled free from his grip. "Come on, we only have the day time to walk, so let's get going."

The road was extremely steep and winding. They took little breaks to take in the view and drink from the canteen. Around two in the afternoon, they stopped to eat lunch. Bread and fruit was abundant, and also satisfying. They had more than enough to last them there and back.

Buffy watched Spike as he bit into an apple. She could sense his pleasure as he relished in the sweetness. He chewed and sighed at the same time. Buffy smiled. All of this was so new to him. She loved sharing this with him. He turned to her and grinned. He offered her a bite of his apple, so she leaned in and took a big one, causing the juice to drip down her chin. His grin turned mischievous as licked it right off her, moaning as he did so. Buffy quickly met his tongue and licked it, pressing her mouth to his. Shock waves ran through her body.

"How is it that you could make eating an apple so sensual?" Buffy asked him.

"Eating is sensual if you think about it. I used to compare food to blood. When I would first get my fangs into... uh.. never mind." He felt weird bringing up his killing days. It was so far away from him now and so strange to think of. Just the mere thought of drinking blood caused his stomach to turn.

"Riiiiigght," she said lightheartedly. The last thing she wanted to do was to make him uncomfortable. Buffy dropped her head on his shoulder. She could listen to him breath and it calmed her.

Flashes of his crypt came to her. She recalled lying in his bed after an intense round of sex. She looked up at him as she lay in his arms. It was strange at the time, since she never ever stayed too long after wards. Yet, she lied there, wondering if things with Spike could ever be...right. She knew at the time it could never. He was dead. Soulless. And above all, evil. Then why was she lying here in his arms? When she felt him tighten his hold on her, she jumped. He was holding her like a she was his. His girl. At that thought, she quickly jumped out of bed, waking him up as she did. And off she went... back into the dark... away from him.

"Buffy?" He looked down at her, wondering if she had fallen asleep.

"Yea?" she whispered.

"Just wanted to see if you were awake. Are you ready to walk some more?"

"Sure, let's go."

Up and up and up. It was a never-ending path that took them higher and higher. They were clearly out of breath but decided to go until sunset. Buffy turned to Spike who was trekking behind her. She smiled at him and continued up the road. The sun was strong, but comfortably warm. The smell of nature surrounded them, which eased Buffy's mood. She could smell eucalyptus and occasionally some lavender. All the scents that relaxed her. She remembered how her mom was so into aromatherapy and would have lavender all over the house, plants, candles, incense. Buffy had to admit, after a night of slaying it did calm her down which would explain why she had been in such a good mood this entire hike.

By nightfall, they found a good place to rest. It was a flatter surface that they quickly covered with blankets. The stars began to peek through. Spike scooted himself behind her and wrapped his arms and legs around her. He wanted to take all of her in, protect her from the elements. Keep her safe and warm. It seemed to work. She shimmied closer to him, resting her back to his chest. He watched her slowly rise up then back down with each breath he took. His lips brushed against her hair, breathing in the sweet scent of strawberry shampoo. No matter what she bathed in, she always smelled so sweet to him.

"It's so quiet up here," she said.

"Yea. Never knew how nice quiet was," Spike replied.

"I know, right? When have we ever had quiet like this?"

"Buffy, don't say it. You know you're jinxed, right?" Spike joked.

Buffy giggled, wriggling closer to him. "We'll never have a normal life, Spike. It's not in the cards. But that's okay. As long as we are all together. Our friends, our family..."

"Your friends, your family," he reminded her.

"They're yours too, knuckle head," she said, looking back at him.

"Right, well Angel maybe."

"I'm glad you guys are friends, now," Buffy told him.

"Him and I have known each other for over 120 years. Yet, we've never really had a friendship. Well, I guess we did for a little while. But it didn't last."

"Come on, you guys never had a bonding experience. Some sort of twisted vampire intimacy?"

Spike's eyes grew wide. What did she know about his past with Angel? "What has Angel told you?" he asked her.

Buffy turned in his arms and faced him. "Nothing, but you so have to spill it now."

"Oh God. Buffy, you really don't want to hear." He prayed she would just say, 'forget it.'

"Yes, I do," she pressed.

"Okay, but I swore I would never tell anyone mainly because of the humiliation. Not because of loyalty."

"This is juicy, isn't it?" she asked, writhing against him.

He almost revealed this to Illyria, she wouldn't seem to care either way. But because of that reason, he didn't.

"We were under a spell, is all. We got along, briefly, shared laughs. The end."

"I don't think so. There's more." Buffy narrowed her eyes, waiting for him to respond.

"Dear God. Okay. Here it goes."

"Angel and I were fighting, all the time. Dru thought it would be cute to find a witch to put a spell on us..." He blushed and felt the heat in his cheeks. He wasn't used to this feeling, at all. He looked at Buffy, hoping she would tell him he didn't have to continue.

"Continue!" Buffy said, realizing he paused.

"Bloody hell. The spell made us, you know. Do you remember the spell Willow put on us, it was kind of like that. But no wedding plans!"

Buffy began to laugh. "So you two... kissed?"

"Maybe once. It was terrible."

"Oh my God, Spike," Buffy smiled.

"What? It was a spell. A sodding spell," Spike whined.

"That was about the most erotic thing I've ever heard," she said, as she slowly rose to straddle him.

"This... it got you... hot?" he asked, surprised.

"Spike. I can't think of anything sexier than the two of you...well, not that I'd want it now... but. Oh forget it, kiss me," she said, not waiting for him to make the first move.

He smiled at how nuts she was. Only Buffy would get this way over a gay encounter he had with Angel. He chuckled to himself.

They made love. This time, a little more like the old days, in his crypt. They had some raw experiences back then. He hadn't really been with her that way since. Which was fine with him. Since now it was love that brought her to him. Still, now, it was hot. She sat on his lap, moving herself down on him. He kissed her neck, then slowly licked the length. He took small love bites, causing her to moan.

"Spike... that was..."

"Hot," he said, smiling at her.

She leaned in, kissing him gently this time.

"Spike. Your past is your past. I don't care what happened back then. We have now and the rest of our lives to live." she said, suddenly turning shy.

Did she just say...?

He thought of the ring in his pocket. Would he ever get up the nerve to display it to her as he asked for her hand in marriage? Could he do that? He wasn't sure if he ever had the... stones. He thought again of the spell Willow had put on them. He saw himself kneeling down in front of her, offering her his god awful silver skull ring. God he was pathetic, even whilst he was under a spell but something fit. Yea, he knew that they loathed each other at that point, but being like that with her was oddly perfect.

"Buffy, love. Marry me!"

"It's just so sudden. I don't know what to say."

"Just say yes, and make me the happiest man on earth."

"Oh, Spike! Of course it's yes!"

Spike chuckled at the memory. What silly nits they were that night. Arguing over where to have the wedding, how the cake would taste, what bloody song they would dance to. 'Wind Beneath My Wings'... never. He would never allow it. It would have to be... something true to them. Something that expressed their love. That's what he told her then, and she'd just pout. And that drove him crazy with desire, that pout, those lips...

He tightened his hold around her, smiling at all the funny and crazy times they had together. This one to top all others. Soon the both of them would be asleep and another day was waiting for them. Spike began to dream.

Spike was sitting in the comfy chair of his crypt. He impatiently drank from his mug of blood as he felt Buffy enter. She was her usual intrusive self. Blaming him for this or that or whatever went wrong in her life. He rose from his chair and approached her. He looked hard into her eyes, as she did the same. He felt anger, resentment, rage towards her.

And all she could do is stand there.

"What Slayer? What do you bloody want?"

"Look what you've done?" she said, looking down at her legs. Blood poured down them, leaving a puddle just below her on the floor. Spike was horrified.

"I never meant..," he choked as she fell, holding her stomach. He ran to catch her in his arms, shaking her to come to.

"Buffy, please. What's going on? Buffy, love... don't leave me!" he cried.

He looked around, then back down to her. She was gone, and all that he held in his arms was a baby. The little boy stared at Spike, with love in his eyes. Spike smiled at him, lost in his blue eyes.

"Hey there."

"Oooo.. Daddy brought me some dessert!" Drusilla purred.

Spike looked at her, frightened.

"You stay away from..." When he looked down he noticed his baby was gone and in Drusilla's arms.

"No," he cried.

"Such a treat, my William. It's the least you could do for killing your sire.."

Then she suddenly turned to dust, leaving the baby to fall just in time for Spike to catch him. He gasped when he noticed it was Buffy in his arms again, bleeding from bite marks on her neck. Blood was also dripping from his chin. He lifted a hand to feel his face and was mortified when it felt bumpy.

"No!" he cried out.

Although she was dust, Drusilla's laughter echoed through out his crypt. He shook his head, screaming for her to shut up. But she kept on, mocking him.

The morning came without warning. The sun was beating on their faces, causing them both to squint as they woke. Birds were already busy with their songs. They could even here rustling of animals here and there. The air was still cool from the night, leaving an eerie mist below them. Buffy rose first, peering over the ledge. She noticed how high they actually were. With this rate, they should be at the church by tomorrow night. She looked behind her, noticing Spike with his head in his hands. She quickly knelt in front of him, grabbing his wrists.

"Spike? What's wrong?" she asked, pulling his hands from his face.

"Dreams, is all. Bad dreams," he whispered.

Buffy cuffed his chin and lifted his head. The look in his eyes caused her stomach to flip. "It's okay now, Spike. Just a dream. It's all over now."

He couldn't shake the image It was terrible. Was Drusilla going to torment him like this, in his dreams? Is that how she'd get him back for dusting her? Oh God.

No! I won't let her. I'm is alive. And with Buffy. I'm alive... not dead. Not a vampire. Not a monster. Not evil. Not anymore.

"'S okay luv. I'll be fine," he said as he stood.

Buffy looked at him wearily, knowing he may not be meaning what he was telling her. "Spike, talk to me."

He met her gaze and almost broke down again. The image of her dead, in his arms, it was too much. Tears made their way into his eyes, as he quickly brushed them away.

"I really don't want to talk about it. It was... a stupid dream that just got me all worked up. In a minute or two I'll be right as rain."

He didn't want to worry her. Maybe later, when the dream wasn't as fresh he'll tell her. But for now, they had some hiking to do. He wanted to have fun with her, like yesterday. Seeing her laugh and smile was so satisfying to him. He wanted nothing more than for her to be happy. He rarely saw it back in Sunnydale. He could probably count on his hands how many times he'd see her act so cheerfully.

Buffy let him keep it inside. He'd share it with her when he was ready. She smiled at him, showing him she agreed. Her stomach rumbled, so breakfast was a must. She pulled some bananas and oatmeal from the bag. The each ate, hardly saying a word to each other. Which was okay. They didn't have to talk all of the time. Did they? She didn't feel like testing that theory...

"So, what do you want to do when all of this is over and we're back home?" Buffy asked.

"Not sure, maybe we could travel the world or get a boat and sail around the Caribbean," he said, smiling at her.

"Uh.. okay. Sounds.. cool, I guess. Do you think much about the future? I mean, where you will be in like, ten years?"

"Yea, I do. I figured we'd be living in a castle in Ireland with like eight kids running around, and I'd have a real nice library for all my books, because I'll be a world famous poet, and you'll be barefoot and pregnant. Just the way it should be," he joked.

Buffy pouted as she threw her banana peel at him. "So not!" She chuckled.

"I really don't know Buffy. There's a lot I want but sometimes the 'now' is enough. Where is this coming from?" Spike asked her.

Buffy put away the empty containers from their meal, not wanting to make eye contact. Her shyness was ridiculous to her and she was sure he noticed it. "I don't know. It's... We... I..."

"It's, we, I...," he teased.

Buffy smirked. "It's nothing. I mean, it's something. It's just something to think about, you know, instead of finding gems or portals, or..."

Spike smiled and grabbed her hands, looking into her worried eyes. "I am as jinxed as you are, luv. So if I tell you the truth, which is that I would be fine being by your side until we are old and gray sitting in rocking chairs, I can't help but to think how it would not be wise to test that theory."

Buffy giggled, feeling a little more at ease. "I know, I know. I just want something else to think about other than quests and spells. I'm tired."

She stood, pulling her bags over her shoulder. Spike did the same, squinting from the sun in his face. His eyes were still getting used to it. He watched her walk ahead of him and he grabbed hold of her wrist. This caused her to turn to him, curiously. "Spike?"

"Bloody hell, Buffy. I love you. When I say this, it's forever in my heart. Whatever happens or what the future holds for us, you can be sure of this one thing."

Buffy smiled feeling her heart pound in her chest. She let her hand slip to hold his. They headed up the path in silence. What he told her was exactly what she needed to hear.