Author's Chapter Notes:
Just a little single scene story that was actually 18-months in the writing. Nothing like finishing off half-written stories to make you feel a sense of accomplishment. Hope you enjoy!
Spike stormed into his crypt and slammed the door behind him. Unscrewing the cap on his bottle of whiskey he took a long swallow, grateful for the slight burning sensation as it slid down his throat. As he paced back and forth across the small room he cursed the fates that had brought he and Cecily face-to-face again after all these years. He had thought her dead long ago. Along with him and everything he had been. To have her show up now, reminding him of his human life. It was…uncomfortable.

A prickling of his senses interrupted his train of thought and he instinctively turned his head toward the source of his distraction. Sighing, he shrugged out of his leather coat. “Whoever you are get the hell out. I’m not in the mood.”

Emerging from the shadows Cecily walked toward him. Her smile was warm and her eyes sparkled with amusement. “Hello William.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “What are you doing here?”

“Just visiting an old friend?”

Spike snorted, holding his ground as she approached. “As I recall you and I were never friends.” You’re beneath me. Even after all these years he could still hear the appalled tone of her voice echoing in his ears. An old half-forgotten pain tugged at his insides as he remembered the way his heart had pounded with excitement and hope as he had finally confessed his love; only to have her reject him without a second thought.

She looked chagrined. “I am sorry about that William. I know I hurt you terribly–”

“Yeah well it was a long time ago. Makes no never mind now.” Moving away he filled two glasses with whiskey and sat at a small table at the edge of the room. “The name’s Spike now. You’d do well to remember it pet. Drink?”

Accepting the proffered glass Cecily studied him openly. “All these years I thought you were dead. You were so upset when you left and then no one ever saw you again.”

Spike smiled but his eyes were cold. “What, you thought I went and chucked myself off a bridge just because I didn’t get the girl?” He allowed his eyes to travel the length of her body derisively. “Hardly.”

Shrugging, Cecily drained her glass. “You were the topic of gossip for weeks afterward. Nobody ever paid so much attention to you as when you weren’t there.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Look all this nostalgia is kind of nauseating. Do you think you could get to the point of this little visit?”

“Oh lighten up William.” Cecily sashayed over to sit opposite him, lust flaring in her eyes. “I just thought we could have a little fun, that’s all.”

**********

Buffy slowed as she neared Spike’s crypt, hearing voices inside; one of which was distinctly feminine. Raising a disdainful eyebrow Buffy crept closer, hoping Spike wouldn’t detect her with his preternatural hearing. If he was cheating on her, after all that bull he’d spouted about being in love with her, she wanted to be able to kick his arse for it.

**********

“Fun.” Spike drawled sarcastically. “You and me.”

Cecily winked at him and he couldn’t help but laugh at the irony of it all. “My how the tables have turned.” He poured them both another drink and downed his with a quick toss of his head.

“Oh please.” Cecily rolled her eyes and sipped delicately from her glass. “At least I’m not composing sonnets. It’s just…well look at you. All bleach and leather. What the hell happened to you?”

Relaxing back in his chair Spike gave her a look of satisfaction. “Let’s just say I met a woman who appreciated the potential in me.”

“Ahhh. Of course it was a woman.” She made a show of looking around the crypt. “So where is she?”

Spike shrugged and emptied his glass again but was unable to completely hide the lingering hurt that thoughts of Drusilla stirred in him. “Los Angeles last I heard. We parted ways some time back.”

Cecily laughed callously. “She dumped you didn’t she?”

Pinning her with a glare Spike repeated. “We parted ways pet. It happens.”

Resting one elbow on the table Cecily rested her head in her hand. “So who is the current love of your life?” she asked conspiratorially.

Spike tried for a smirk. “Who says it’s love?”

“Oh please William,” she replied disbelievingly. “With you it’s always love.” She giggled suddenly. “Please tell me you haven’t read her any of your poetry. The poor girl will run for the hills if she has to listen to that tripe.”

Staring at her scornfully Spike said quietly, “I’ll say this for you Cecily. Over a hundred years later and you’re still a right bitch.”

“Oh don’t be so touchy William.” She waved her hand at him and finished the last of her drink, holding her glass out for more. “Now tell me. Who is the lucky girl?”

At that moment the door burst open and Buffy strode into the room.

Spike almost cringed. Brilliant! Now the Slayer could kick his arse in front of the one woman that reminded him of everything he’d spent a hundred years trying to forget, and then his humiliation would be complete. Just freakin’ brilliant.

“Spike? Who is this woman?”

The tone of Buffy’s voice made him do a double-take. It was almost…tender. What was she playing at now?

Cecily looked from Buffy to Spike and back again. “Oh William you can’t possibly be serious,” she exclaimed. “The Slayer? Do you go searching for the woman who is most out of your league?” She drew herself gracefully up from her chair and approached Buffy. “Hello sweety. I’m the first great love of William’s life,” she announced arrogantly.

“Great love? Funny how he’s never mentioned you,” Buffy lied smoothly. She knew exactly who Cecily was, and knew what she had done to the gentle young man William had been as a human.

Buffy walked by Cecily, as if dismissing her as unimportant, and headed straight for Spike who was just rising from his chair. “I know I wasn’t supposed to see you till later but I couldn’t wait.” Wrapping her arms around his neck she pulled him down for a deep, lingering kiss. When they parted he could only stare at her in bewilderment.

“Now honey, we don’t have long before I have to go on patrol. I need to be home before Dawn wakes up. So why don’t you tell your little demon friend to leave?”

Spike had no idea what she was doing or why, but he was more than willing to play along. Looking at Cecily he said, “You heard the lady Cecily. Run along.”

Cecily snorted. “Well well, your girl is a feisty one isn’t she.”

Buffy spun around, drawing Spike’s arms around her waist as she glared at Cecily. “That’s right. I am Spike’s girl. And you’d best stay away from my vampire. Unless you want the Slayer after you.”

Hearing Buffy say, even under false pretences, that she was his girl made Spike harden instantly. Leaning down he growled softly in her ear, pushing his hips gently into the roundness of her buttocks.

Dismissing Cecily’s presence once again Buffy turned in Spike’s arms and drew him into another passionate kiss. They were both breathing heavily when Buffy spoke again. “Is she gone?” she whispered.

For a moment Spike had no idea what she was talking about. Then, remembering his uninvited guest, he glanced quickly around the room. “Yeah. She’s gone.”

Slowly Buffy moved away from him and he almost groaned in dismay. Of course, he thought bitterly. It was all an act. And now it’s over.

“What was all that about pet?”

Buffy shrugged, as if what she’d just done was of no importance to her. “She was being a bitch to you. I heard her. It pissed me off.”

Spike tilted his head. “You’re a bitch to me all the time.”

“That’s different.” Buffy played with the hem of her jacket, refusing to meet his questioning gaze. “You’re my…whatever you are.” Finally she looked at him, lifting her chin defiantly. “I can pick on you if I want to.”

A slow smile appeared on Spike’s face. “Is that right?”

Flustered, Buffy snapped, “Look I need your help with some gooey demon thing Xander and Anya saw on their way home. Are you coming or not?” Without waiting for an answer she started for the door, stopping with an annoyed sigh when Spike called her name.

“You may not realise it yet, but you are my girl.”

Buffy just ‘tsked’, rolled her eyes at him and disappeared through the doorway.

She didn’t deny it. Spike felt his smile widen, hope filling him anew as he followed her out the door. For the very first time. She didn’t deny it.