Author's Chapter Notes:
This is an AU. I suppose it's fantasy, even though it's all human, no withces, demons, slayers, etc., but it is the opposite of what the show was, and a fantasy in that since... Right? I'm not sure, someone let me know please. Please leave a review, if you like it or not. I'd like to know all responses about this first chapter, for it is the most crucial in whether or not a fic should be continued.
9 Years Earlier...


"Damn it, William! Can't you understand?! I don't want to be here! I hate this place, this life, and most importantly, you. You make me sick. You and the girl!" Drusilla yelled.

"Dru, love, just put down the knife, okay? Let's talk about this, okay?" He said as he stepped closer.

"Stay back!!" She screeched, swiping the knife dangerously close to his face.

"Dru, please- " But he was cut off by her battle cry. She then lunged at him, cutting him on his left eyebrow. He stumbled backwards as blood started to flow freely into his eye.

"Take care of our poppet, William. Goodbye."


She appeared so cool and calm, and then the bitch just left me there. Always knew the bint was off her nut, but that was just bleeding insane. Should've known better when she named our daughter Dawn when she was born at sunset. But I loved her all the same.

She gave me the most beautiful baby. With swirls of brown hair and her big blue eyes... You know, she never was a problem as a baby. Always quiet and docile, and never was colicky. That's why I couldn't understand. Dawn was only five months old when Dru abandoned us. She wanted to leave me, fine. We were just starting out after all. Maybe she wasn't ready. But even so, I'll never forgive her for leaving our little girl.

About a month after she left and after crying out useless buckets of salt; after I sunk into a hole of depression, I decided to make some changes. William needed to die, and I needed to leave- leave behind old memories and weakness. I first cut my hair real short and then bleached it. Destroyed all of my clothes... You see, William was a complete nancy boy- weak and didn't deserve to see another day. Maybe it was all a psychological thing, but it made me feel better. I had to be strong, for her. I haven't trusted another woman (well, emotionally anyway) ever since. Who needs all of that emotional baggage? I mean, how can you trust something that bleeds for five days straight and doesn't die?

I decided to move to America. California, to be exact. You see, my family was already there. My father, Rupert Giles, has a business here— a book store. But now, he's going through some sort of a mid-life crisis. You know the usual, little red sports car, earring, twenty- nine year old girlfriend by the name of Anya. But, they've been together for two years now, and she's expecting. Kinda cute, actually. It's still weird though when your old man is with someone younger than you.

Then, there's my cousin/pseudo brother Wes. We grew up together. When he was four, his parents- my uncle and aunt, died in a car crash, so my father had him come live with me and my mum. We're the same age, 'cept I'm three and a half months older. We had a happy home, then twelve years later, mum died. Cancer got her. Dad waited until we went off to college, and then he was the first to leave to the States. Then Wes went on to study law and left too. London, I mean. I stayed behind for awhile and met Dru and, well, let's not get into that. Anyway, Wes is working in a highly established law firm called Wolfram & Hart, but is going to leave soon with his live in girlfriend, Lilah and start their own firm, as partners. I wish them the best.

Me, well I've written two books, two big successes. One was an adaptation of my own life, mostly set around my past times in high school, my family and college called School Hard, and the other, a collection of poems, alternating between elation and joy and hatred and anger. I called it “Deluge of Sorrow, then Kissed by the Sun”. Guess who my inspirations were.


******************

I consider myself to be pretty lucky. My Dad may be a little crazy but, he loves me with all of his heart. Sometimes the other kids in my class get kinda jealous of me. I mean, my dad is the youngest parent with a nine year old at age thirty- one. He lets me stay up late sometimes at night and he has cool friends- Uncle Wes, Lilah, Anya, Angel, Aunt Willow and Uncle Xander... But sometimes, I get jealous of them, my friends. But of course, no one knows. Even though a few of their parents are divorced, they still have their mommies. I never had a mommy. My Dad says she died a long time ago, and never talks about her. This one time though, I snuck into our attic and went through all of these old boxes until I found one with old pictures in it. There were some of Grandma and Grandpa Giles, Daddy and Uncle Wes when they were little kids, and one of this dark haired woman. She wasn't really smiling in the photo- it was more of a grin. There was no name or date on the back, and there weren't anymore of her in the entire box. But there were some of me and the other half of the photo missing. I guess my mom was in those.

I thought about asking Daddy about it, but he would probably get all angry and take it away. So I snuck it to my room and put it underneath the Barbie bed in my Barbie’s dream house. He'd never look there.

Sometimes I'd wonder why Daddy never thought of marrying again. Oh sure he goes out on dates- lots of dates. But he never brings them home. I never meet these mystery women in his life. But he always tells me not to worry about it 'cause they're never of any importance. Surely at least one of them would be nice enough for me to meet? But then he gives me this look- ya know "it's the end of the discussion, young lady" look. 'Cept he never calls me young lady, it's either Nibblet, or Bit, or Dawn or Dawnie. I like it when he calls me Dawnie or Bit. It means he's in an especially good mood. He only calls me Dawn if I’m in trouble, really.

Then, he proceeds to explain how I have plenty of women in my life who can tell me the mysteries of being a young girl. There's only three though. Aunt Willow, who's more like a friend than the motherly type, even though she has a son of her own. Jesse's five. And then Anya, who's too jealous to worry about anyone other than her or her baby. If Grandpa- sorry. He's going through this thing where he only wants me to call him Giles. I guess that's where Dad gets it from. If anyone dares to call him William, he'll go totally crazy on them. He hates his name. "William Randal Giles indeed." He used to mutter to himself. Anyway, if Giles doesn't focus on Anya all the time, then she'll get all whiney and upset. Then there's Lilah. I don't think she likes kids, of any kind. She's nice, but doesn't really like to be bothered.

So, I've decided to take matters into my own hands. Well, not so much my hands as Uncle Wes. Surely he must know someone who can be a mom to me. Even if it's only for a little while. Well, it was a nice thought anyway. It's not that my Dad isn't enough, but I mean, who's gonna tell me things- woman things? Dad thinks almost all women are the devil, 'cept for us four. I tried to tell him this one time of this guy I sorta liked, and then he said that boys were the devil too and to stay away from them. Another woman around the house wouldn't be so bad. Could it?

Wes' apartment

"Dawnie, sweetheart. How are you?" Wes said to me with a large smile. Geez, looks like his face is gonna split.

"Fine, Uncle Wes. Daddy didn't tell you I was coming over, did he?" When I said that, he finally dropped the act and turned into his normal, solemn, yet nice self.

"No, he didn't. How is your old man these days?" He asked, gesturing for me to take a seat.

"The usual. That is until my friend Vi told him how wicked his scar looked and asked how he got it. She was supposed to stay over the weekend but, now he's all 'Grrr.' But, if you're busy, you could always send me over to Gramps."

"No, you can stay here. I'll have a talk with your dad later. You know, if Giles heard you call him that, he'd blow a gasket." He said with a slight grin.

"Yea, I know. But actually Uncle Wes, I was wondering something..." I asked in my best innocent little girl voice. Could always get to a Giles man, well Uncle Wes being half a Giles and growing up in a Giles house hold and... whatever.

"What's on your mind? You can ask me anything." As long as it's not about sex he thought wearily.

"Well, I was wondering if you could get my dad to go out on a date. Ya know, someone nice and smart and likes kids." Also mommy material.

"Dawn, you know your dad already goes out on dates- lots of them..." Spike is such a man whore. It's a surprise he hasn't caught something already he thought.

"No, I mean, that's true but, maybe someone who could last, oh say, more than a day?" Wes regarded me carefully for a moment. He nodded his head more to himself than me. I think he was finally getting my point.

"Dawn, I understand completely how you feel. But at least you have one parent, who loves you more than life itself. I was lucky after losing my parents. I had Giles and your grandma Anne. She became a mother to me, and then I lost her too."

"I'm sorry Uncle Wes."

"That's alright. It was a long time ago. But as far as your father, well- you know how stubborn he is, and he doesn't trust women, you know, at all."

"I know. But see, the thing is, you aren't supposed to tell him." I said, giving him a conspirator’s wink-wink.

"Really now? So, seems like you have a plan Miss Giles."

"Of course. You can't have a course of action without a plan." I said with a triumphant smile.

"Very well. Care to enlighten me?"

******************

"I don't know, Wes. I mean Spike gets kind of crazy when people interfere with his affairs. Especially if it involves Dawn, his emotions or his cock." Lilah said nonchalantly as she flipped through a magazine on their king size bed.

"Thank you, Lilah. However darling, Dawnie and I have come up with a nearly full proof plan."

"Really? Care to share?"

"Yes well, as you know, my birthday is coming up. I thought perhaps we could have a party- a little celebration for my thirty- first."

"But Wes sweetheart, you absolutely detest parties for yourself involving more than two people- you know, just you and I?"

"Well, we can have our own private party afterwards. I just don't want to see her so sad. I know what it's like. And if having a party will somehow spare her from the pain if Spike is actually happy, then I'll do it." He said as he sat down next to her. She then sat up and embraced him in a tight hug.

"Oh baby, that's terribly sweet of you. If we ever had a kid, you'd probably spoil the brat rotten."

"I'll have you know that no child of mine will be a brat, of any kind." He said in mock defense.

"Well if you plan on procreating with me, the kid'll be at least half brat."

"Well when you put it that way..."

"Shut up!" she said, playfully whacking him upside the head. "So, what's your plan?"

"Well, I was hoping you could invite some of your friends. I don't really know of anyone suitable."

"Me neither. But I got two that's worth a shot. Especially if Angel's coming."

"Of course. He's my best friend."

"Fine then. My two very much available friends I shall invite are Buffy and Cordelia."

"Buffy? Cordelia? But aren't they kinda of-"

"A female version of Spike minus the kid and a brunette prima donna? Sure. They'll be perfect for each other. Well, once they get over themselves anyway. Buffy contrasting with Angel's broodiness and Cordy's enormous boobs for Spike." Wesley looked at her with a skeptical expression marring his features.

"Uh huh. If you say so..."