Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry it's a little later in the day that usual :)
Chapter 27


“This is so cool!” Dawn was literally bouncing and Spike wondered just how much sugar that school allowed her to have

“So you’re okay with it?” Buffy asked the completely unnecessary question.

“It’s going to be so great!”

“Still going to do your work and get to bed on time, Bit,” Spike didn’t want her thinking this would be some party.

“I know,” she agreed, still smiling ear to ear. “Thank you,” she whispered quietly in Spike’s ear as she hugged him and he realized she really did need this.

“We’re going to have a Scooby meeting,” Buffy had decided to get the badness out of the way quickly and was doing the same with telling Dawn about it.

“Why?” Spike could tell she was trying not to still smile even as she angrily asked her question.

“I don’t want them here anymore than you do, Dawnie—“

“Then why are they going to be here?”

“We just need to see if they’ve found out anything and tell them everything we know in case something they’ve read becomes important once you add our stuff in.”

“I’m not talking to them.”

“You don’t have to,” Buffy assured her, “You don’t even have to stay if you don’t want.”

“No, I’m letting them know they screwed up—even if it’s just looking all grrr at them.”

“I bet you can get Demon girl to help you with that one,” Spike offered.

“Anya’s coming?”

“Well I’m asking her too—as soon as I find her phone number,” Buffy trailed off trying to remember just how she was going to get in touch with Anya.

“Actually,” Dawn admitted sheepishly, “ANYA!” Dawn pulled some little silver thing out of her pocket as she yelled—and they meant yelled—Anya’s name.

Moments later Anya, still her human looking self, was standing in front of them. “Hello,” she said perkily.

“Hi,” Dawn replied then added, “Buffy has to ask you something.”

“Thank you for the explanation of your call,” Anya said politely. “Oh and I see Spike is here. Very good, Buffy.”

Buffy blushed slightly, wanting to at least kick Spike for the way he laughed at her before taking Dawn upstairs to start her homework. She then proceeded to tell Anya both that Spike was moving in and about the plan for the night.

“While I do not wish t see Xander again so soon, I think I will come because then you will have more people.”

“We’re okay with not a lot of people,” Buffy assured her.

“No, no,” Anya shook her head, “I mean that then there will be three of them and four of us. You will have more people on your side.”

“Huh,” Buffy said thoughtfully, “I hadn’t thought of that.”

“In situations such as this, numbers can be a very important thing. It is a subconscious thing that tells your adversary that you are indeed the one that is right, simply because more people agree with you.”

“The majority isn’t always right, though,” Buffy said.

“It’s just a way human’s brain’s work—they see more as better. It will be a good thing for me to stay, yes. What time should I come back?”

“Well, you’re welcome to stay if you want, but uh, I told them to be here at six—“

“Which means that Rupert at least will arrive at, at least ten to.”

“What?”

“Showing up early when the meeting is on the other side’s territory gives you back a bit of the power by catching them off guard.”

“Did you like plan wars or something?” Buffy couldn’t help but wonder.

“I have done a lot in 1200 years.”

“I will be here at five thirty if that is alright?” Buffy assured her that it was. “Good, now, make sure you are all ready and waiting by five forty five; it will throw him off guard when you are not indeed surprised by his early appearance.”

“Okay,” Buffy said slowly, “I guess I’ll see you later?”

“Yes, by five thirty, no later.” And in another few moments she was gone.



“Is there like some secret Code of Warfare book that no one told me about?”

“What?” Dawn asked while Spike just looked at her quizzically.

“Well, Anya’s going to come—and partially because it being four against three will help our case. She’s also going to come by five thirty to make sure we’re ready by five forty five—“

“I thought the meeting was at six.”

“Yeah, but she says since the meeting’s on our ‘territory’ that Giles will probably show up early to try and throw us off balance.”

“Hadn’t thought of that, but it makes sense. Guess I was just underestimating the Watcher.”

“You knew all this?”

“When you have to have a meeting with your ‘enemy’ and you have to go to their place to do it, you never show up on time if you’ve got any sense about you.”

“Okay,” Buffy said, “from now on you and Anya get to decide all the tactical stuff.”

“It’s nothing bad that you didn’t know—Anyanka and I’ve just had different experiences than you, pet.”

“But if Giles knows it then he probably told me at some point and that just means I was a dolt and forgot.”

“No it means you have too much going on at the moment to make yourself think of your Watcher as your enemy. Perfectly understandable.”

“Maybe,” Spike was always trying to make her sound smarter. “You and Anya are still in charge though.”

“You guys should go rest up,” Dawn said, elaborating when they looked at her oddly, “What is it with people not listening to me? This is a big stupid thing and you,” she pointed at Spike, “are going to have to use a lot of energy not to hit anybody. And you,” she looked at Buffy, “this is going to be hard—the more you rest the less they have on you.”

“When’d your sister get so smart, luv?”

“I have absolutely no idea.”

“Hey! I’ve been smart…you just haven’t noticed.”

“Okay, I’ll go rest—but you two better make sure I’m awake by five, okay?”

“Promise,” Dawn assured her, leaning over to set one of her alarms to five pm.

When Buffy had closed the door to her room, Spike turned to Dawn.

“Thanks for that, pet. Don’t know if she’d have done it otherwise and it really is a probably good idea—not sure she realizes how hard it’s going to be to be against the people that’ve been the ones backing her up over past five or so years.”

“Which is why I was also serious about you resting too—the harder it is for you, the more she gets upset; the harder it will be for you to keep your little nonviolence pledge.”

“But I don’t want to,” he…whined.

“Yeah and you’re not twelve or anything. Seriously, just go do it. It’s like an hour and fifteen minutes. I bet you could even do it in Buffy’s room,” she suggested.

Spike smirked at the thought—and the possibilities it provided—before remembering just who it was making the suggestion. “Quit thinking like that.”

“What? Like you’re going to have sex with my sister at some point?”

“Yes!” he cried nearly jumping off the bed and away from her. “It’s…it’s….Just don’t do it.”

“Why? You don’t think it’ll happen?” she asked nonchalantly.

“Doesn’t matter what I think,” he said evasively—not even allowing himself to think about it. “You just stop thinking it….’s creepy.”

“You’ve been a vampire for more than a hundred years and that’s what you find creepy?”

“Yes!” he insisted.

“Fine. Still not going to shut up about you and Buffy having sex until you at least go in there and sit in the freaking chair or something; we all know you want to.”

“You can’t tell me what to do. I’m the Big Bad and you’re just—“

“I wonder if you’ll still have sex in her room with Mom home or if you’ll go to your crypt…but that doesn’t have a bed really so you’d have to—“

“Alright, alright! I’m doing—just shut your trap already.”

Spike practically ran to Buffy’s door, knocking on it quickly, only entering when he heard her invitation.

“Spike?”

“Yeah, uh,” he began nervously….”Can I sit over there?” he pointed to the first chair he saw.

“Well yeah, but why?”

“Bit’s little rest order.”

“And you’re going to rest by sitting in my room in that chair?”

“Yeah,” he answered quickly.

“Spike what’s going on?”

“Bit wouldn’t shut it about us having sex—and where and the lack of beds and your mum being home and us—She made me come in here,” he looked incredibly uncomfortable.

“So Dawn creeped you out by talking about us having sex until you came in here?”

“’s not right for her to be thinking about all of that,” he insisted.

“Just one question.”

“Sure.”

”Was it that it was Dawn saying it or was it….what she was saying?” Buffy hoped to God she didn’t sound as anxious as she felt.

“What?” he still seemed a little frazzled from his talk with her sister.

“Which part creeped you out?”

“You’re honestly asking me that question?” he asked when he realized, finally, what she meant.

“Well you could—“

“Pet, quit playing dumb.”

“I just wanted to…I would like it if you stayed in here, you know? But since I said no more kissing and stuff it’s up to you—completely.”

“Told you, chair looks right comfy.”

Deciding to let it slide this time Buffy just smiled at him softly before lying back down and pulling the covers up around her, the bear from Spike wrapped in her arms.

Spike noticed the bear but didn’t know what to say to the fact so he just kept quiet as Buffy gently drifted off to sleep.




TBC......


Thank you for all of the reviews :) and in case I didn't say so already, congratulations to everyone who won at Lost in Spike Awards and good luck to anyone nominated in the new round :-)