Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own anything.
Chapter 1-The show where anything goes

Dear diary,
I am so excited. Today is the day. I got a spot in the top ten on American Superstar. I am so excited. I can’t believe I made it this far. All of my friends and family are watching me on the T.V. And hey, I’m on T.V. that is so awesome. As for that British, cocky, platinum, judge…Spike. Well he’s got something coming. In the first audition he said I wouldn’t make it. He said my fashion sense and I quote ‘is like Courtney Love on a good day’. After I sang he still looked at me in disgust and voted no. Luckily, Tara and Xander, the other to judges had my back. They both told me yes in a heartbeat. So today I’m singing “I turn to you” by Christina Aguilera. That song is dedicated to my mom. I miss her so much. Anyway they called us to get in the van so I talked to you later.

(7:00pm Friday July 28th, American Superstar studio)

“Buffy, that sounded awesome” the voice coach looked at Buffy as she finished the last note of her song and applauded lightly.

“Thanks Linda, I just hope they like it.” Buffy drank some of her tea with honey.

“I’m sure they will. Now hurry up you have to get to wardrobe and makeup. You have an hour.”

“Right…I just hope Harmony’s not in the chair again. I almost went out there with mascara on my mouth and blush in my eye. We had to rush so quickly.”

“Well your not gonna get any faster talking to me.” The older lady said.

“Right” Buffy walked out of the studio w/ one last ‘thank you’ on the way out.

After about 20 minutes Winifred “Fred” Burkle got out of the makeup chair and watched as Buffy got her makeup on.

“What are you singing today Buffy?” Said the shy brunette

“’I turn to you by Christina Aguilera for my mom. What about you?”

“Oh I’m singing ‘I will always love you’ by Whitney Houston”

“Tough song” Buffy looked at Fred with uncertainty.

“Don’t worry I nailed the bridge and everything.”

“Well I don’t know about you guys by I am going to sing ‘It’s all coming back to me now’ by Celine Dion.” Cordelia Chase said as she walked up in a tight knee length black dress. Cordelia was so confident in herself, but in reality out of all of the final ten she sang the worst.

Then Harmony who came skipping over singing ‘Don’t Speak’ by No Doubt looked at Buffy then the makeup lady and said in a rude way “Are you done yet, Summers. Everyone here knows that no amount of makeup can help you look good…or sound good.” She crossed her arms over her chest and stared Buffy up and down. Fred, Cordelia, and the makeup lady were all in shock by Harmony’s insult.
“I’m done Harmony” Buffy said as she got out of the chair “and as much cleavage as you can cover with your arms, your boobs won’t look any less fake.” Buffy looked at Harmony, thanked the makeup lady and left for wardrobe.

“You got told” Cordelia said to Harmony and followed Buffy.

At 7:50, the top ten were in the back of the stage waiting for their introductions.

“This is always the most nervous part of the show don’t you think?” Charles Gunn tried to make small talk w/ Angel, the jackass of the group.

“Who’s nervous? Only little losers who can’t sing are nervous. I on the other hand know that I’m gonna win this competition. Hear that everyone?” Everyone got quiet as they listened to the tall brunette talk “I don’t know why you’re all wasting your time I will win this contest. I was professionally taught by—“

“Michael Bolton and met the Backstreet Boys, we know!” Everyone finished excessively repeated story. Then, the lights dimmed as Jenny Calendar started to announce the contestants one by one.

“You saw them all audition and now it is time for you to start voting, America. On the only show where anything goes, tonight you’re gonna see 10 people pour their hearts out to you in song so let’s get a good look at them first. So come on out Fred, Charles or Gunn, Angel, Buffy, Cordelia, Harmony, Anya, Doyle, Wesley, and Connor!” Everyone came out one by one and lined up across the stage. “These are your American Superstar final ten. So let’s take a few minutes to consult our expert panel of judges.

First, record producer, Xander Harris how are you Xander?” Everyone applauded.

“I’m good, Jenny I’m very excited to be here tonight.” Xander gave a dashing smile.

“That’s good…and to our next judge Ms. Tara McClay, producer and singer. How are you tonight Tara?”

Tara took a sip of her water, “I’m excellent tonight Jenny. How are you?”

“I’m great, Tara thank you for asking.”

“And to our final judge producer, singer, and director, William “Spike” Giles, how are you tonight?”

The audience booed him.

“Oh shut up” Spike looked around at the audience then to Jenny “I’m good tonight”

“I’m going to ask you: how do you feel about our final ten?”

“Some of them are excellent. Others I believe don’t belong here.”

“Could you perhaps give us a name or two of who doesn’t belong?” Jenny loved to pry for information. She’s America’s favorite drama starter.

“Well…to be brutally honest...I don’t think Cordelia needs to be here or Buffy.” The audience booed loudly someone even yelled ‘asshole’.

“What do you think about that Buffy” Jenny held the microphone to Buffy’s mouth.
“I think that Spike is in for a big surprise then. He hasn’t liked me from the very beginning, but I promise that Spike is gonna be in for the shock of his life tonight.” Buffy smiled as she finished her defense. The audience cheered.

“Well on that wonderful note let’s go to a commercial and we’ll be back for singing.”

“And cut!” The director yelled

All finalists went back into the back to get ready to perform.

“Damn Buffy you got shut down out there.” Gunn said

“Like I said ‘Buffy equals big surprise for Spike tonight’ I am gonna do what I do best.”

After Buffy got changed into her new outfit she watched Cordelia perform. Buffy admitted to herself that Cordelia sounded pretty good tonight. The judges gave her high marks except Spike who made a comment about her clothing and told her she belonged on a cruise ship as the janitor. Cordelia started crying a bit as she walked off of the stage.

“Whoa that was harsh” Anya said “But he was right although I would’ve said she sounded like a whale looking for a way home.”

Buffy looked at Anya, “You are so rude.”

Anya nodded her head and smiled, “Yes I know” Buffy made her way on the darkened stage.

Out on stage in the spotlight Jenny was introducing Buffy “And now Buffy Summers singing ‘I turn to you’ Christina Aguilera.”

A loud applause busted throughout the room as the lights brightened to reveal Buffy sitting on the steps as the music started.

When I'm lost in the rain, in your eyes I know I'll find the light
to light my way. And when I'm scared,
And losing ground,
when my world is going crazy,
you can turn it all around.
And when I'm down you're there
- pushing me to the top.
You're always there,
giving me all you've got.
For a shield from the storm,
for a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you.
For the strength to be strong,
for the will to carry on
for everything you do,
for everything that's true
I turn to you.
When I lose the will to win,
I just reach for you and
I can reach the sky again.
I can do anything
'Cause your love is so amazing,
'Cause your love inspires me.
And when I need a friend,
You're always on my side
Giving me faith
taking me through the night
For a shield from the storm,
For a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you.
For the strength to be strong,
for the will to carry on
for everything you do,
for everything that's true
I turn to you.
For the arms to be my shelter
through all the rain,
For truth that will never change,
For someone to lean on,
For a heart I can rely on through anything,
For that one who I can run to...
For a shield from the storm,
For a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you
For the strength to be strong,
For the will to carry on
For everything you do,
for everything that's true
I turn to you.
For a shield from the storm,
for a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you.
For the strength to be strong,
for the will to carry on
for everything you do,
for everything that's true
I turn to you.
I turn to you...

Jenny walked over to Buffy while applauding. “My god Buffy that was amazing. You also look amazing give us a turn.”

Buffy spun around in her v-cut white knee length dress that revealed a bit of cleavage and flowed at the bottom.

“It’s very beautiful Buffy.”

“My mom made it for me. Hi, mom I love you.” Buffy smiled and waved at the camera.

“Hi Buffy’s mom and now we need to get to our judges. “Tara, you first.”

Tara wiped some tears away, “That was so amazing and your mother should be very proud of you. If you don’t win this competition I’ll be shocked.”

“Thank you” Buffy said

“How about you Xander, What did you think?” Jenny asked

“Well, there was some pitch problems in the beginning, but you came back and nailed it, this competition was made for you. Just watch your pitch.” Xander smiled

“Spike, what did you think?”

Spike was silent as he stared at Buffy a bit, “It’s a good song, but it wasn’t for you.” As the audience started to boo he said “hold on a minute…you look very nice today, but that was not good at all.”

“Come on Spike you badger Buffy every week she’s a good singer” Xander said as he looked down the table at Spike.

“Quiet Harris” Spike replied “all I’m saying is the girl can’t sing. Buffy you are a silly, talent-less, bint who will never make it past the karaoke bar.”

Jenny looked at Buffy who was staring at Spike, “Do you have a response to that?”

“Well Jenny I think Spike has been watching a completely different show then.” The audience was on their feet applauding.

“Or maybe you’re just in the wrong competition.” Spike said back.

“Or maybe you’re just not up with today’s music Billy Idol wannabe.” Buffy walked off the stage with a smile on her face. The audience laughed as Spike’s mouth hung open.

“Oh my well I have to say that kitten has claws huh, audience?” The audience was still laughing. “Ok well let’s bring out Doyle singing ‘Iris’ by the Goo Goo Dolls.”