Chapter 2.

Buffy sat at the kitchen island looking over the list she had made of ‘things to do’.

Send Tara and Willow to stay with Xander and Anya – Done

Call Giles to get him home – Done

Call Wes to get him, Cordy and Lorne here – Done

Organize beds for guests – Done

Organize clean bedding – (Dawn) Done

Get Spike to move in (Phase 1) – (Spike) Done

Organize bills and Mortgage details, calculate total required – Done

Make shopping list and give best guesstimate on funds required – Done

Let Spike know amount needed –

Get Spike to call Solicitor –

Go shopping –

Prepare food for guests –

Mentally prepare for meeting (Phase 2) –


Quickly deciding that the only things left on the list that could be done before the next day, required Spike, Buffy wrote down the total amount needed and made her way down to the basement.

Taking note of the changes to the basement, Buffy moved silently to the opposite side of the bed from Spike and started helping him make his huge bed. Between the two of them, the bed was quickly made. Spike smiled his thanks then moved over to his book case and the boxes in front of it preparing to put his books in place.

“Here.” Buffy said handing him the note she’d made; “How ‘bout I start with your books and you make your phone call, then maybe we should talk.”

Spike took the piece of paper and held her momentarily in place with his piercing gaze; searching her eyes until he seemed to see what he was looking for, he nodded and moved toward the stairs. His sultry voice drifted back to her as he moved away, “Just so you know pet, once I taste that crumb, I’m prolly gonna want the whole bloody loaf!”

“I’m counting on it.” Buffy’s quietly stated to herself.


When Spike returned to the basement, all but two of his books were in the bookcase: A book of poetry and his journal had been placed on his bedside table. His clothes had been put away and the boxes had been folded neatly in a pile under the stairs. Buffy had made her-self comfortable, sitting on the bed. Leaning against his headboard, she smiled up at him. “All done?” she asked cheerfully, and looking for all the world as if sitting on the 'Big Bads’ bed was the most natural thing in the world. Patting the bed next to her, she silently indicated his place, while quietly giggling at his shocked expression.

“Not that I’m complain’ luv, but I’m a mite confused at the new attitude?”

“I know Spike, and I’m sorry I’m confusing you, I don’t mean to. There’s so much to say, and unfortunately most of it’s gonna have to wait till the meeting tomorrow night, or um… tonight I should say.” Her compassion at his confusion was clear, in her voice. “Lots of changes are coming. Some will affect you. I hope that you won’t mind the changes, ‘cause that would be of the bad. I mean seriously, majorly of the bad!”

“Is there anything you can tell me pet? ‘Cause I gotta tell ya’ luv, I’ve been keepin’ my bleedin’ mouth shut for fear of brassin’ you off, but I’m frustrated. An' I haven’t felt like that, unless sex was involved, since I was trying to kill you! I mean…look at us. We’re sitting here like mates, havin’ a chat, on my bed! You’ve totally buggered me up Slayer, I don’t know what to expect from you.”

“Well we can’t have that now can we.” She snarked, grinning at the scowl he sent her way.

“Tomorrow night you’ll find out the whys and hows, so for now you’re just gonna have to curb that frustration. Which by the way, what you’re feeling now, nothing compared with what you’re gonna feel tomorrow night when you have to do what I’m gonna ask you to do. For now, know that I care about you and we have a very serious talk coming up on what that means to us.”

“What are you gonna ask me to do tomorrow night?...Wait…there’s an us?” As Spikes’ look of worried confusion changed to hopeful expectation, Buffy couldn’t help but smile indulgently at him.

“Caught that huh?”

“Did you mean it Buffy? Please pet, I gotta know. Don’t play with me, not about that. I gotta know luv.” He turned to her, grabbing her upper arms gently. The desperation in his voice almost broke her heart.

“I hope so Spike. We have a lot to talk about first. Can you wait one more day?” she asked, trying to soothe him while allowing him to bring her into his tender embrace.

“For you luv, anything.” Was his quietly, fervent reply.

Snuggling deeper into his embrace, Buffy decided that the time was right for answering his earlier question. Moving her own arms, so that she was returning his embrace, Buffy looked up at Spike’s face and hesitantly started, “Um…about my request for tomorrow night?”

“Are you holding on to me like that because you’re worried about my reaction luv?” Spike queried, eyebrow raised, gently removing her from his embrace and moving so he could sit on the edge of the bed and look directly at her.

“No! Umm…well maybe, but it’s not like you don’t have a temper!” was her indignant reply.

“Get on with it Slayer.” He ground out, crossing his arms and clearly not falling for her deliberate attempt at distraction.

“Oh all right.” Crossing her arms petulantly and poking her tongue out at Spike as he raised his eyebrow in humor at her childish antics. “I can pretty much guess at the reactions to what I have to say tomorrow night. Xander is gonna lose it.” Spike waited patiently for her to continue. “I know how to handle Xander, but I also know how protective you can be. So I need you to give me your word, that regardless of what he says, or does, you will say and do nothing.” Buffy pleaded with him.

Spike stood up abruptly; walking away for a few steps, his back to Buffy, his whole body exuding tension. “Do you have any idea what you’re asking of me Slayer?”

“Let me guess. Your Demon is majorly wigging at the thought of being asked to not protect what he considers his mate, and William’s all ‘it’s just not right’ over the idea of not protecting ‘his love’.” Taking in his look of complete shock, she continued; “Spike, your Demon would be the first one to agree that The Slayer can take care of herself. Xander will not be facing Buffy, but a totally pissed Slayer and there is no way that you can convince me that, mate or not, your Demon thinks Xander is a threat to the Slayer! As for William, he will just have to understand that Xander's anger will be purely defensive, and relating to something that will be discussed tomorrow. Something that is totally Slayer related and not Spike related. With that in mind, and knowing that I totally get how hard this is for you, can you do what I'm asking?”

Walking back to her, Spike firmly pulled Buffy back into his arms. “Yeah luv, be bloody hard, but I'll do it, for you.” Sighing happily, Buffy allowed herself to be held. “You’re bloody amazin’ luv, bloody’ amazin’”.

“On that note, can I ask one more favor?” Buffy asked, smiling up at the bleached blond.

“You can ask pet.” Spike teased.

“Can I sleep here tonight? Will you just hold me?”

He tightened his hold on her, gently stroking her hair and back as he purred softly.