Author's Chapter Notes:
Thought I'd go the A/U side now. Ideas have been borrowed from Rob Thomas and Joss Whedon - so not stealing. Nothing belongs to me - I simply borrow on multiple occasions. Like an annoying little sister.

I have tried to stay within the Buffy verse (well as much as an AU fic can really lol). Dawn and Buffy are closer in age, and the date of February 27, 2001 is the actual original air date of a sad episode from S5 - bonus points if you guess it. lol. And I know Buffy isn't in highschool in S5 but I wanted to have an important date - so it's all a bit wonky. lol.

Reviews are always welcome. Even if they are one or two words.
My name is Elizabeth Summers, Buffy for short. I’m 17 years old, 5’3”, and blonde. I enjoy movies, reading, dancing, gym class, and English. I live with my mom, Joyce, on Revello Drive. A standard life. I am lucky enough to cross paths with the elites at Sunnydale High, I’m a junior. I actually used to enjoy going there - I had friends, a life. That all changed February 27, 2001. But that’s for another time. A time far away from here - a time where I’m ready.

Now where were we, right Sunnydale High. If you go there, you’re parents are millionaires or your parents work for millionaires. Sunnydale, California a town without the middle class. If you’re in the second group, you get a job; fast food, movie theatres, mini-marts. Or you could be me. My after school job means selling people slug candles, and mummy hands. I work at a magic shop. Not my first choice, but the only place in town that would hire me - the owner is new to Sunnydale, so he hasn’t quite figured it out yet. Rupert Giles is the owner. A really kind man, he practically threw the job at me. And he’s British - so everything he says always sounds so cool.

The only downside to this job? Giles’ son, William - or Spike as he likes to be called. Every town has an obligatory psychotic jackass - he’s ours. He was quick to jump on the Hate Buffy Bandwagon - and that wagon is getting pretty big. It’s not like I did anything to him, at first. At first, I was being nice - he was Giles’s son - I like Giles - therefore, I’ll be nice. But no - he has to go ignoring me, and if he does even look in my general direction it’s either in disgust, boredom, or to throw a random insult my way. It’s not like I can’t take it - hell he’s one of the nicer ones - but I wonder what set him off this instant dislike of me. Well actually, I wonder who - no - I wonder what rumour it was. I’ve lost track.

So that’s my life. I get up, eat breakfast, go to school, go to work, come home, do homework, then go to sleep. And somewhere in-between all that I find time to investigate a murder. Didn’t expect that did you? Yes, in my spare time I investigate the horrible murder of a teenage girl. She was killed February 27, 2001. She was my sister.

Dawn was like every other teenage girl. She enjoyed hanging out with her friends, her boyfriend (who I might add is the most popular guy in school), shopping, gossip, makeup, ect. She was a sophomore and the most popular girl in school. Everyone knew her and liked her. She was always up for a good time and she was destined for greatness. She was having the time of her life in high school - she had friends, she had everything. That’s why her death came at such a shock to everyone.

I came home, just like every other day. I was a bit late because I had stayed a bit longer at the library, to try and finish my homework. God - If I had just come home straight from school… never mind. I came home to find the house quite and empty. Unusual as Dawn could always be heard from her room talking to her friends and blaring her music. But there was no chatter - no music. Just silence. I called out her name - silence answered me back. I figured she must be out somewhere - so I began to make a snack for myself. I walked into the kitchen and stopped, there were dishes sitting next to the sink, waiting to be washed. Only Dawn does that. So she must be home or at least she was. I quickly looked at the table - her purse was sitting on it. She never leaves that anywhere. I called out her name again - and again no answer. I quickly ran up the stairs to her room - her door was shut but there was no sound emitting from it - she must be sleeping, I thought. I slowly opened the door, not wanting to disturb her - her bed was empty. She was on the floor. I screamed. She wasn’t moving. I quickly ran and sat beside her - screaming her name.

“Dawn? DAWN!!!! DAWN!!! DAWN!!!” I yelled as I started shaking her.

This is where I noticed the blood. It was everywhere - how could I not have seen it before? It originated from her head. Then I saw the bloody phone next to her. I quickly regained my senses and pulled out my cell phone from my pocket and dialled 9-1-1. They found me rocking her body back and forth still in the same position - saying her name over and over again.

The rest was a blur. I remember voices, screaming, tears, and being asked many questions. I don’t think I was much help. I was pretty out of it. Who could do that? To Dawn of all people? I was at the Police Station for the longest time. Getting asked the same questions over and over again. The most frequent were “Are you okay?” and “Do you know of anyone who would want to hurt Dawn?” Both were unanswerable. How could I be okay? My little sister just died. I would never be okay. And for suspects? Unconsciously I was compiling a list right then and there - a list I have stuck to since that moment.

Now the reason the town hates me? Besides the fact many believe I killed her in an act of jealousy? I stood beside my mother’s belief that Dawn’s boyfriend, Conner, had killed her. Conner was the son of Sunnydale’s richest citizen, Lindsey McDonald. More than half the town owes its fortunes to him - when the company went public, Lindsey McDonald made a billion dollars. And so did everyone working for him, right down to the secretarial staff. The town loves him. And so when Conner, with his father right by his side, stands before the press, tears in his eyes, and says how he misses the only love of his life - things change.

The town turned against mom and me. We lost everything, mom’s job, our social status, our house. We had to move alright. The loss of income was to great. And to think a week before we were up there with the elites. It’s not like we met the minimal net worth requirement - but we were welcome. Dawn and I were dating the sons of the most beloved man in town, Angel and Conner. True, Angel was a step son but their bank accounts mirrored each other and were bottomless. And money buys friends.

The news of Dawn’s death spread like wildfire - before you knew it the police video of the crime scene was leaked onto the web. It was everywhere. No one could understand how we could accuse the McDonald family - and we were blacklisted. Angel broke up with me two days after it happened. We haven’t spoken since.

I used to think I knew everyone in this town perfectly. But I know better now. This is hell. This is where all the scumbags come to do their lying and backstabbing, and yes even murder. I used to think I knew this town. Now I’m sure I don’t. But I promise this: I will find out what really happened and I will destroy whomever get in my way.