Author's Chapter Notes:
Just a silly piece of fluff which popped into my head while bored at work one day.
It was early on a Friday evening and Buffy Summers was standing in front of the mirror in her bedroom adding a final layer of lip-gloss when a movement in the doorway caught her attention.

“When’s Daddy getting here?” The four-and-a-half-year-old asked.

Buffy turned towards the door. “Soon baby. Why don’t you go and tidy your toys away while you’re waiting for him to come pick you up?” She told her daughter.

“Ok.” Annie replied; turning and running back towards her room across the hall.

Buffy turned back to the full length mirror, turning slightly to check over herself one last time.

Of cause she knew as soon as HE'D gone she’d be straight back upstairs and changing into her comfy yummy sushi pyjamas, ready for a rare night-in which she’d been looking forward to all day; she had ice-cream and chic-flicks aplenty.

But for now she was wearing tight blue jeans and an equally form fitting black tank, going for casual but sexy; she didn’t want HIM to think she’d made an effort for him but at the same time she wanted to look good. She wanted to give her ex-boyfriend a taste of what he was missing.

‘And whose fault is that?’ A voice, which sounded suspiciously like her mother, said in her head.

‘He’s the one who left.’ Another voice, the one guarding her heart, argued.

‘But he came back, told you it was the biggest mistake of his life, begged for your forgiveness. You know how he feels about you. What are you so scared of?’

‘That he’ll leave again.’ It was the hardest thing she’d ever gone through and knew she couldn’t go through it again, it would destroy her.

‘But some things are worth the risk. You could be a family. After all, you still love him...’

Buffy shook her head, trying to clear the jumble of thoughts. She checked her appearance again, frowning as she realised she’d left her hair down in loose waves; just the way he liked it. Picking up a scrunchy, she defiantly tied it back into a messy ponytail as the doorbell rang.

She bounced down stairs, pausing at the bottom and pulling out the hair-band, shaking her hair free again with a surrendering sigh.

“Annie.” Buffy called up the stairs before she opened the door to reveal a tall broody looking brunette.

Not the man she’d been expecting.

“Angel?” Buffy questioned, taking note of his dejected appearance. He had even more of a ‘kicked puppy’ expression than usual. He also held a holdall in his hand. She ushered him inside, into the hall.

“She left me.” He said simply, broad shoulders seeming to drop even more.

“Unc’a Angel!” Annie called excitedly as she came bounding down the stairs and threw her arms round his legs.

“Hey Annie.” He seemed to perk up a little at the sight of his niece and he put down his bag so he could pick her up.

Another figure then walked up onto the porch and through the still open door. “Whoa, we having a family gathering?” The brunette eighteen-year-old said.

“Auntie Dawn.” Annie’s attention seemed to switch to the new arrival and she held her arms out towards the teen.

“Dawnie, what are you doing here?” Buffy questioned, still dazed from their brother’s appearance and announcement.

“Professors have called a strike on Monday so thought I’d come home for the weekend.” She told her sibling as she put down her bag next to Angel’s and took her niece from his arms. “Was hoping my dear big sis would let me crash here so I don’t have to intrude on the newlyweds.” She was talking about their mother, who had just remarried.

Finally coming back to herself, Buffy closed the front door and led them all into the lounge. “Guess I’ve got a couple of houseguest’s then.” She mumbled to herself as her brother and sister sat down side by side on the couch, the latter with Annie on her knee.

She was about to ask Angel to elaborate on his earlier announcement when the doorbell rang again.

“That’ll be your Dad.” She told her daughter as she moved over to pull open the door again. However neither of the two figures on the other side again were who she was expecting.

“Mom? Giles?” Buffy asked as Joyce leaned in to place a hello kiss on her cheek, the man next to her doing the same.

“Hello honey, we were just on our way out for a meal and thought we’d call in to see my beautiful granddaughter.”

“Guess Dawn was right.” Buffy said as she pulled the door open wider and motioned for them to enter and they all walked into the lounge.

“Granny, gramps!” was heard from the youngest occupant as once again she launched herself at the newest arrivals.

Taking in the scene of all her children together, and her sons seemingly devastated look, Joyce immediately took on suspicious ‘mom-mode.’ “What’s going on here? Dawn why aren’t you at college? And Angel what on earths the matter?”

Sensing it was a family concern and not really wanting to intrude, even though technically he was now part of the family, and also guessing the conversation might not be for a young child’s ears, Giles bent down in front of Annie.

“How about we go into the kitchen and you can tell me what you’ve been doing today?”

“Ok” the girl replied without question or protest, taking his hand and leading him into the other room.

Buffy offered her step-father a grateful smile as he left, before moving to perch on the coffee table in front of her brother while Joyce placed herself on the sofa on the other side of Angel. “Tell me.”

“Dru left me. Said she felt she’s always second to my job and she’s met someone else that actually cares about her. Turns out it’s another women.”

Dawn snorted, earning a glare from the eldest Summers.

“Her names Darla, she works with Dru at the hospital. They’re moving away together, Brazil I think.

None of the women seemed to know what to say to the revelation, but the awkward silence was broken by the doorbell.

Buffy answered it to reveal a brunette and a blonde.

“Hey Buff.” Xander said, walking into the house without waiting for an invite, Anya following closely behind.

Neither questioned the presence of the other occupants of the room, though the latter picked up on the tension in the room. “Did somebody die? Because if they did we have news to cheer you all up –”

“Ahn, not ‘til Will and Oz get here.” Xander cut her off.

“Willow and Oz are coming?” Buffy asked confused.

“Xander invited them.” Anya clarified

Seconds later the doorbell told of their arrival and Xander opened the door to the said couple who entered the now full lounge, just as Giles and Annie came back in from the kitchen after hearing the new voices. The child greeted her two sets of god-parents with a squeal.

After greetings were made the female of the redheads turned to her oldest friend. “So Xand, what’s the big emergency?”

Xander took hold of Anya’s hand and cleared his throat. “We’re getting married!”

After taking a second to digest the information, there was a sudden burst of ‘congratulations’.

After things had quietened down, Willow took centre stage. “While we’re making announcements, we have one of our own.” She said after glancing at her husband who offered her a small nod and a smile. “We were going to wait but now seems like the perfect time to tell you: we’re having a baby!”

There was another round of delight, though Angel didn’t seem cheered by either couples disclosures.

The doorbell then rang for the fifth time in less than twenty minutes and Buffy seriously considered disconnecting it. This time on the other side were two brunette women, both dressed in skimpy revealing clothing.

“Yo B, get upstairs and put on something slutty; we’re having a girls night out.” Faith told the blonde.

Cordelia had breezed past, stopping in the doorway to the lounge as she took in the scene. “You’re having a party and didn’t invite me?” She complained, upset immediately forgotten when she spotted her friends hot older brother, who she’d always flirt with even though he was married. “Angel! How are you?” She said as she squeezed herself between him and Dawn.

Meanwhile Buffy remained in the hall by the still open door as a tall bulky guy came up the drive and onto the porch.

“Hey Buffy.” Riley said as he came to a stop in front of her. “I remembered you saying you didn’t have plans for tonight so I just thought I’d stop by to see if you maybe wanted to go for something to eat or catch a movie or you know, maybe both?” He said; his eyes full of hope.

Buffy sighed exasperatedly but before she had the chance to turn her co-worker down for what seemed like the hundredth time, Faith, who was also still lingering in the hall, stepped in. “Wow B, who’s the stud?”

“Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realise you had company, I’ll go…”

“Oh no you don’t,” The brunette man-eater stopped him with a hand on his arm. “Seems we’re having an impromptu party and I’m missing a date. The male talent in here is seriously lacking.” Faith told him as she dragged him not so unwillingly into the house.

Buffy was so focused on the sight that she almost shut the door on the faces of the two timid looking guys who’d seemingly appeared on the porch from nowhere.

“Hi I’m Jonathon and this is Andrew,” The shorter of the two began shyly. “We just moved in next door and were wondering if we could use you phone as ours isn’t connected yet.”

“We want to order pizza.” The other told her excitedly.

“Pizza? I could eat some pizza.” Xander said as he came through into the hallway, always seeming to develop super-hearing at the mention of food.

“You can always eat pizza.” His fiancée said with a roll of her eyes.

“Order one for me to.” Faith’s voice shouted through the animated chatter in the lounge.

“And for me.” Dawn added.

Joyce then appeared next to her daughter. “Why don’t you boys join us? We’ll make a night of it. A sort of welcome to the neighbourhood.”

The two men smiled gratefully and went to meet everyone.

“I suppose I’d better cancel our reservations.” Giles told no one in particular.

“But it’s not even your neighbourhood.” Buffy complained quietly. No one seemed to take notice of the blonde, too busy shouting out their orders to Xander who was tapping the number he knew by heart into the phone.

“No anchovies.” Cordelia called out.

“I love anchovies!” Dawn wined.

“Don’t forget my vegetarian.” Came from Willow.

No sooner had she closed the door than there was a quiet knock on the other side. At least it wasn’t the bloody doorbell she thought idly.

“Hey Buffy,” Tara said. “I just came to drop off that psychology book I borrowed.” She heard the noise coming from inside the house. “Bad time?”

“Tara!” Dawn saw her favourite of her sister’s friends. “Come in, we’re having pizza.”

The mousy girl looked at Buffy in question, who plastered on a not very convincingly smile. “The more the merrier”.

Buffy leaned back against the front door, wondering when and how her house had become the venue for a party without her consent, destroying her hopes for her much looked forward to quiet night in. Just as she was deciding whether to scream or break down in tears, the doorbell went for what would be the final time that night.

She opened the door to the one person she actually had been expecting that evening looking completely dejected.

“Sorry I’m late pet. Got held up at work. You know how Wilkins likes the sound of his own voice.” Spike noticed her downtrodden expression. “What’s wrong?” He asked with his trademark head tilt.

Wordlessly Buffy opened the door wider, revealing the gathering in her living room.

“What happened to your quiet night in?” The bleached blonde raised an eyebrow.

“That’s what I’d like to know.” She sighed. “I guess it went out the window when Angel’s wife became a lesbian, Dawn tutors decided to strike, I gave Mom her only grandchild, Xander and Anya got engaged, Willow and Oz got pregnant, Cordelia and Faith decided I need a life, Riley decided to ask me out again, the new neighbours moved in and I lent Tara a book.”

Spike looked thoroughly confused, only picking up bits and pieces from her rant. “What was that about Peaches and a lesbian?”

Meanwhile the only person who’d seemed to notice the newest appearance was the smallest.

Fighting her way through all the ‘guests’ legs, Annie came running towards them. “Daddy!”

“Niblet!” He replied with equal enthusiasm, sweeping his daughter up in his arms. Buffy watched their interaction with a fond smile.

Spike turned to the mother of his child. “You wanna get out of here luv?”

“God yes.” She replied gratefully, pulling her leather jacket from its hook before picking up Annie’s bag for the weekend she’d placed by the door earlier and her keys, wallet and cell from the hall table.

The only person who noticed them leave was Joyce, doing so with a hopeful smile.

*****

Later that night, after eating takeaway (chinese not pizza at Buffy’s request) and Annie, much to her delight, had been put to bed by both her parents, the blonde duo were sat on the couch in Spike apartment watching a bad made-for-TV movie. Buffy had her head on Spike’s shoulder while his arm rested along the back of the sofa behind her, his fingers absentmindedly playing with the ends of her hair.

Every now and again the male of the pair would make a comment about the lameness of the saga on the television and the female would let out an unladylike snort and think of a comeback just as amusing.

To look at they were just like any young couple, totally comfortable in each others presence, and seemingly totally in love.

As the credits ran up the screen, Buffy gathered her courage and raised the subject she’d been thinking about almost constantly.

“I’m tired.” She said simply.

Spike made a move to get up. “Want me to call you a taxi?” He’d driven them there but couldn’t exactly take her home due to their sleeping daughter in the next room. “Or I could make up the sofa bed. It’s right comfy if you avoid the broken springs.”

She shook her head at the misunderstanding. “No, not that kind of tired. Well yeah, I am; but I actually meant tired of us.”

Turning to look at her, the head tilt made another appearance. “Us? Wasn’t aware there was an ‘us’ anymore.”

“That’s kinda the point.” She said with a sigh.

“Buffy, pet, what is it you’re telling me?” He asked her, not daring to get his hopes up. He needed to hear it clearly.

“Do you love me?”

He frowned at her change of direction. “You know I do.”

“But you left…”

“And I’ve told you I was an idiot back then, just a dumb kid who thought he was too young to play dad. But life without you was hell Buffy. Everyday since I walked away I’ve regretted it, I missed so much, and I’ll continue to regret it everyday for the rest of my life. I love you and that little girl asleep in there more than anything and just to have you in my life in any small way is a privilege. I know that now.” He looked down, unable to meet her gaze.

Buffy placed her hand on his chin and lifted his head until his eyes were level with hers.
She took a deep breath. ‘Some things are worth the risk.’ “When we were sixteen I gave you my heart; two years later you broke it when you left. Then you came back and I was so scared of getting hurt again I tried to keep it locked away. What I didn’t realise was that you already had the key. It may have been broken but it still belonged to you, and I think its time you put it back together.” She paused, realising she was probably not making any sense. “What I’m trying to say is I love you too. Never stopped. And I want us to be together. Properly.” She suddenly felt shy, looking away from his awe filled stare. “That is, if you want to.”

This time it was Spike’s turn to ensure their eyes were locked. He’d always thought himself more of an actions man so replied by meeting her lips with his in a gentle kiss with developed into a heated embrace.

“Promise me something?” Buffy said, pulling back to look at him.

“Anything.”

“If you leave again; take us with you.”

“I’m not going anywhere.” He vowed. “But I want you to promise me something too.”

“What’s that?” She asked suspiciously, his expression had gone from loving and shy to a typical Spike smirk and she knew what he was about to say would undoubtedly piss her off.

“Promise me you’ll forever let me make fun of the fact that Peaches turned his wife gay.”

*****

Eighteen months later…

It was early on a Friday evening and Buffy Summers was standing in front of the mirror in her, or rather, their, bedroom adding a final layer of lip-gloss when a movement in the doorway caught her attention.

“Effulgent.” Spike said from is position of leaning on the doorframe, his messy platinum spikes contrasting with the smart suit he was wearing.

“Not looking to shabby yourself” She replied, turning towards him with a smile, smoothing out the silk of her deep red dress and fluffing out her long blonde hair one last time. “Annie ready to go?”

“Ready and waiting impatiently downstairs.”

“She gets that from you.” Buffy teased as she picked up her black shawl and purse from the bed and breezed past him, pausing for a chaste kiss on the way. Arriving downstairs she found her now six-year-old daughter on the couch in her pretty pink dress fidgeting restlessly. “Come on poppet, time to go.”

Half an hour later and they arrived at Giles’ impressively sized house, reaching the door at the same time as two smiling redheads and their adorable ten-month-old.

The two women immediately embraced “You look amazing Wills.” “You look beautiful Buff.” They said at the same time. Oz and Spike settled for a nod in greeting, both men having a child in their arms.

“Happy New Year!” Willow said excitedly, and then she noticed the glint from the rock on her best friend’s finger. “Oh my god!” She cried, raising the blonde’s left hand to get a better look at the simple platinum and diamond ring. “You’re engaged?!”

“Yep, since Christmas day.” Buffy said happily, turning to look at her new fiancé, their eyes both full of love.

“Well congratulations!” Willow squealed, pulling her in for another hug before kissing Spike on the cheek. Oz leaned in to do the same to Buffy before managing to hold his son in one arm so he could shake the bleached blonde’s hand.

“Same from us.” A new voice said as another couple joined the foursome still loitering on the porch.

“Xand, Anya!” Willow exclaimed enthusiastically. More hugs were exchanged. “Wow you’re all tanned! How was the honeymoon? Christmas in Hawaii?”

As the newly weds filled in the hyper redhead, Buffy leaned in to Oz. “Has she been at the sugar again?” She whispered, earning a chuckle from both him and Spike.

“So are you going to stand here all night or someone actually going to press the doorbell?” A seventh voice asked.

“Unc’a Angel!” Annie said, squirming in her fathers grasp to reach out for the latest arrival.

Angel let go of the hand of the brunette woman next to him so he could take his niece in his arms.

“So Cordelia,” Spike began, mischievous smirk in place, “Harbouring any same sex tendencies yet?”