Author's Chapter Notes:
Just an idea I had...
disclaimer-all BTVS/ATS characters belong to Joss...anyone I may make up belongs to me...
----------------------

Coming Home

“It’ll be okay”, the doctor said. “She should be back to normal in no time.” Joyce Summers nodded looking over at her daughter.

It had been almost six years since she had really got the chance to talk to her. Buffy Anne Summers had been in a coma-like state since she was 15 years old. She would wake only so often speaking of demons, witches, and vampires. She was now 21. Joyce wondered how her daughter would ever be alright. There was so much that she had missed in the years she had spent in institution after institution. The current one being North Side Medical.

They had moved to Los Angeles in 99 in hopes that Dr. David B. Anderson, a specialist in psychology, could help them bring their daughter back to them. At first he seemed to be making progress, but as time when on, nothing changed for the better. Now, three years later, they were taking Buffy home.

Joyce had gotten a job at a local gallery a couple of months after they had moved to the big city so they would be able to pay all of the hospital bills. Hank’s real-estate job was being put on hold, and he was only able to sell a few houses. They not only had the hospital bills, and the bill to their apartment, but they had also kept their house back home, so that if and when Buffy was better they could take her back to where she grew up. They figured that would be the best thing for her. Because of this, Joyce had decided to get her a job. She hadn’t expected to enjoy it so much. To be honest, it had given her an escape from the reality of her daughter’s condition. But now Buffy was better and they were going back home.

The Summers family lived in Modesto California. Joyce and Hank had both grown up there. They had met in high school and been together ever since. Buffy had always said growing up that she wanted to end up just like her parents. Now; however, she wasn’t so sure.

Buffy shifted uncomfortably in her chair. Her mom was still looking at her and it was starting to get annoying. She was just ready to get out of this crazy bin. Her decision to stay in this world had been a hard one. It had been difficult to see which world was real. Now that she thought about it, she realized that even considering that her “fantasy world” had been real was stupid. A world with vampires and demons…yeah right. She could only wonder how her mind had concocted all of that. They say what you dream about is what’s in your subconscious. If that were true, she must have some really screwed up subconscious.

She was pulled out of her thoughts by her mother.

“C’mon sweetheart. It’s time to go.” Buffy stood up from her chair and her mother took her by the arm. “We’re going to go home now.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The car ride was a long one. The whole way Buffy’s parents had been going on and on about how excited they were to be taking her home and how much there was to teach her. Her mother had also added in that Buffy would of course be going to school to get her GED and college, yes, she must go to college.

Buffy had tuned them out most of the way, just staring at the scenery through the window. She didn’t remember ever seeing any of it.

When they finally arrived at Casa de Summers Buffy was the first one out of the car. Three hours of riding in a car with your parents could drive anyone mad. Hank grabbed the bags out of the back as Joyce went to open the door. They walked inside and Buffy instantly noticed how clean everything was considering the family hadn’t been in the house for 3 years.

“Linda comes and cleans the house once a week. We wanted it to look good when we got back.” Buffy nodded. She started towards the stairs. “I’m gonna fix myself a sandwich, would you like one?” Joyce asked.

“Sure,” she replied walking up the steps. She reached her bedroom door and opened it. It looked like the bedroom she remembered having as a kid. The light pink walls with the unicorn wallpaper made the room fit for a 7 year-old. She would need to do something about that. Buffy walked over and sat on her small twin bed. That would have to be replaced as well.

Joyce entered the room carrying a tray with a sandwich and glass of milk. She sat it on the dresser. “It’s the same as you left it. We didn’t touch anything. I figure you’ll want to make some changes. I can take you to Home Depot if you want.” Joyce noticed how her daughter didn’t seem to be paying that much attention to what she was saying. “Buffy?”

Buffy’s head snapped towards her. “Huh? Yeah…Home Depot…sure.” Joyce was giving her a concerned look.

“Honey, are you alright?”

“Yeah. I’m fine.” She didn’t look too convinced. “Really mom. I’m good. I just need…some fresh air. I think I’m gonna go for a walk.” She got up off of the bed and started towards the door.

“Just be home by 5. Okay?” Buffy looked back and nodded.

“Okay.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was a nice day outside. The sun was shining, and there was a nice breeze blowing. Buffy closed the front door and started towards the side walk when she saw her dad. He was still unloading the car, and it looked like he had help. She stepped closer to find out who it was.

“So I hear your starting over at CSU this fall,” she heard her father say.

“Yes sir. I’m finally gonna get somewhere.”

“That band of yours not working out?”

“We do okay, but to be honest I really wanna be a teacher.”

“Well good for you son.” Buffy rounded the side of the car. Her dad was standing next to the back of their SUV that currently had a male butt sticking out of it.

“Oh Buffy,” he said noticing her. “There is someone I would like you to meet.” The man leaned out of the car with a box in his hands. He sat it down and looked at her. As soon as he did Buffy’s mouth dropped. “Buffy, this is…”

“Spike?”
---------------

TBC...