Author's Chapter Notes:
Alrighty, this is part two!
Part Two




After the fight with Faith, Buffy felt physically trashed. And after Riley revealed that he had slept with her and never even noticed that she wasn’t really Buffy, you could add emotionally exhausted to that list. She had decided to work off some of the anger and frustration by doing an extra long patrol tonight. She had already slayed ten vamps and one weird green fungusy demon. But she was burning for more.

“Slayer,” a rich baritone voice drifted from behind her. Just what she needed. Well, actually, maybe it was. Buffy turned to face Spike, a newfound respect for him after realizing that he must know her even better than the man who supposedly loved her.

“Spike,” she found herself at a loss of what to say, not wanting to start a thank you with her usual string of insults.

“What’s wrong with you tonight luv? If it’s not a punch in the nose by know, you’d at leas’ be tellin’ me to be on my merry way,” Spike flipped open the top of his lighter and, cupping the flame, brought it up to light his cigarette.

“Well, maybe I’m just not in the mood tonight,” Buffy tried to look convincing, but at his lifted eyebrow, she shook her head and perched on the nearest tombstone. “What I mean is well… thanks.”

“For what?” Spike wanted to see just how far he could push Buffy when she was well, in her own skin again.

“You know what Spike,” Buffy gave him a hard look, but couldn’t help smiling at his mock-offended look. “Thanks for letting Giles know that something was wrong with me.”

“’S nothin’ luv” Spike never thought the Slayer would be thanking him for anything at all. He watched Buffy as she sat staring at him, her brow furrowing in concentration. “What? See something wrong with my handsome face?”

“Why’d you do it Spike? A-and how did you know it wasn’t me?” with her eyes questioning with such sincerity he couldn’t help settling down on the tombstone across from her.

“Knew it wasn’ you Slayer cuz well… she wasn’t actin’ like ya. Spent the better part of a year studying your moves an’ behaviours. An’ the fact that she didn’t know who I was, that was a big tip off. You’re always more punny with your insults, not outright, well, insulting.” Spike crushed the finished cigarette under the heel of his boot and glanced at Buffy.

“Oh,” Buffy wasn’t sure why she felt disappointed at his answer. “Then if you’ve done all this Slayer-study for the purpose of what? Killing me? Why did you go to Giles.”

“Not fun if you’re not yourself Slayer,” he added a leer, “’Sides, I like that hot lil’ body of yours.”

“Pig,” she said without much muster.

“Oink oink baby,” he smiled softly at her. “Why’s this so important to you?”

“It’s not,” defensive-Buffy was back full force. “I just wanted to know that you’re not planning something evil.”

“So tellin’ your watcher there’s something not so right with his precious Slayer is evil then?” his eyes narrowed and he shifted into a more defensive posture.

All the bravado she’s just put up seemed to melt back into the ground. “No, I don’t know what’s wrong with me,” she looked down at the ground, shoulders slumping forward. Why was her life always so complicated. Riley couldn’t read her well enough during sex of all things to know that it was Faith, and she was praying she wasn’t so much like Faith that it wouldn’t have been obvious. But Spike, her so-called mortal enemy, who didn’t love her, read it in a matter of minutes, and went to Giles. She had really believed that it would work between her and Riley. Now she wasn’t so sure. She couldn’t help the tears welling in her eyes as she started letting go of her hope for a normal relationship.

“Wha’s wrong luv? Why are you cryin’?” Spike’s voice startled her out of her reverie. She looked up to see him kneeling in front of her, concerned blue eyes holding hers. When a lone tear escaped and ran down her cheek, he reached a hand out, and wiped it away with the pad of his thumb. His compassion was what broke her, the dam of tears erupted and she buried her face in her hands.

“Shh, luv, come on. Help a vamp out here,” he pulled her down onto the ground and into his arms. His inner William couldn’t be stamped down when faced with her tears. “Please tell me Buffy.”

“Riley,” she whispered through her quiet sobs.

“What’s captain cardboard have to do with it?” he was rubbing her back in soothing circles with one hand while the other drew her head onto his shoulder, allowing her to pretend that he was whoever she wanted him to be.

“He didn’t know. He didn’t know she wasn’t me,” Buffy didn’t even know if she could bring herself to say it out loud. Spike’s hands were soothing her ragged emotions, cradled in his arms she whispered, “he slept with her, told her he loved her, and he didn’t know it was me.”

Spike couldn’t find the words. He felt his own anger rise in her defense. How could that ponce not have noticed that the woman he claimed to love wasn’t who she appeared to be. He’d know the minute she looked at him. Buffy’s tears were silent now, a true testament to how much she hurt, and how tired she was.

“I thought that this was going to work,” Buffy needed to share with someone. She needed to share with Spike. “I try so hard. Every day I go out at night fighting for them. I have had broken bones, failed at school, fought with my own mother because I was fighting for them. And whoever it is that makes these stupid decisions couldn’t even give me one normal, happy relationship. Is it too much to ask?” she looked up at him then, eyes misting with tears that fell unchecked, pleading for someone to hear her pain.

“I know pet. I don’t know what to tell ya though. I’s a thankless job bein’ the Slayer. I should know. But you’re the best one I’ve ever faced Buffy. You’re not like any of them. You have friends and family who love you,” he brushed a tendril of her hair out of her face. “Not many of ‘em ever get that. Now, I’m not sure farm boy was a great choice in the meat market. Too much of the Dudley-Do-Right in ‘im. Face it pet, you’re never gonna have normal.”

Buffy just stared up at him in wonder. Why was he even helping her? He was looking at her as if she was a treasure or something precious to care for.

“Now tell me about this Faith bird,” Spike wanted to change the subject because he was finding himself all too happy to take care of the hurting slayer. “She didn’t seem to like you much. An’ wha’s this about you stabbin’ her?”

“Hey, she had it coming,” Buffy smiled up at him when he opened his eyes wide in shock at her comment. “Ok, maybe not. I was the reason she was in a coma for so long so, yeah, she’s grudgy-girl. But she was bad way before then. Joined the Mayor’s side before he became snake boy. It was apparently him who had left her the dragon-cake thing to switch bodies with.”

“Dragonian-Katra pet”

“Yeah, whatever. Anyways, I always felt kinda sorry for her though,” Buffy ran the back of her hand over her cheeks, drying the last of her tears. “Well I would if she wasn’t such a giant ho. She always took everything that was mine, anything I had she wanted, she even went after you. She’s like a nosy little sister who steals your stuff and flirts with your boyfriend.”

“You think I’m yours luv?” Spike was intrigued and surprised by the warm tingling the remark caused in his gut.

“I ah, well, you’re my mortal enemy, not hers,” Buffy ducked her head in embarrassment as her cheeks flooded with colour. “My mortal-enemy slash nemesis, who is currently holding me as I cry my eyes out,” she looked up at him with a half-smile to reassure him that she wasn’t trying to insult him.

“Yeah well, keep your enemies closer an’ all that rot,” Spike’s eyes flashed with humour before he leaned his head back against the tombstone to look out into the night. Buffy laid her head back on his shoulder, enjoying the feel of his body against hers and the companionable silence that hung between them.

“So what are you gonna do about Captain Cardboard?” Spike’s low rumbling voice broke the peace a while later.

“I really don’t know,” Buffy didn’t even want to think about it. Especially now when she was happily indulging in Spike’s comforting embrace. “I mean this initiative stuff is still way wigsome. Maggie tried to kill me, Riley doesn’t know who I am after Faith pulls an evil Freaky Friday with me, and there’s a monster even Frankenstein couldn’t have created roaming around dissecting kids. All a day in the life of Buffy Summers I suppose.”

Spike refrained from speaking for once, only murmuring a low acknowledgment.

“I still can’t believe she came on to you!” Buffy’s indignant tone caused Spike to sit up straight.

“Why the bloody hell not? Is it so bleedin’ hard to believe that girls line up for a taste of this?” running his hand down his chest and shooting the Slayer an angry glare.

“No, not that Spike. You’re all with the manly woman-seducing hotness. I was referring to the flirting with a vamp while still being a slayer, and I just totally called you hot didn’t I?” Buffy blushed furiously when she noted the self-satisfied smug smile that Spike’s droolworthy lips curved up into.

“Yeah, Slayer,” Spike lowered his voice to a more sultry level, “Fancy a bit of a rough an’ tumble.”

“Spike!” Buffy cuffed him lightly on the arm, but made no move to free herself from his embrace. “Thanks for not taking her up on her offer, not insulting your manly pride again here bleach boy, just. It would have been like… I dunno… violating me.”

“Already said there’s no need to thank me. You’ll make me question my inherently evil nature,” Spike looked down shyly. “Sides if it wasn’t you in there, then it wouldn’t have been you.”

“What do you mean by that Spike,” Buffy’s eyes searched Spike’s face, he was purposefully avoiding her eyes.

“Don’ mean nothing by it Slayer,” he shifted in agitation and seemed to want to be pacing, but settled for flicking the lid of his lighter open and closed.

“Oh,” the note of disappointment in her voice made him stop all movement and meet her gaze. “Am I not, you know, attractive enough? Maybe that’s why Riley didn’t notice. He’s thinking about some other super-slut when he’s with me.” Tears were forming in her eyes again, making them appear moss colored.

“No, Slayer. Buffy, you’re the most beautiful woman in the world. Especially in Sunnyhell of all places. An if that wanker is thinking about anyone other than you when he has the privilege to be with you, then he’s more of a git than I thought he was,” he cupped her face in his hands, wiping away the tears that fell. “Buffy, any man should praise the powers that be for a chance with you.”

Buffy stared deeply into Spike’s eyes. The deep blue depths held such sincerity, anger, and an undercurrent of some deeper emotion. She couldn’t form any words, but parted her lips in an attempt to speak. His hands felt smooth and rough at the same time against her skin, his thumbs caressing a gentle rhythm over her cheekbones. She dared a glance at his full lips, unconsciously darting her tongue out to caress her bottom lip.

Spike was lost in a sea of green and gold. Her eyes seemed bottomless, full of grief and longing. When her pink tongue darted out of her mouth to wet her lips he couldn’t help leaning forward to tentatively press his lips against hers. Buffy’s lips were soft and she tasted sweeter than anything else he’d ever had the pleasure of tasting before. He’d spouted enough near poetry tonight, a little too reminiscent of William, but her lips, and her soft sighs proved to be his undoing.

Spike was kissing her. His firm, soft lips caressed her own slowly. Buffy couldn’t keep a sigh of pure need escape her lips and when it did, Spike’s tongue begged entrance into her mouth. Her own met his cooler one as they deepened the kiss, unaware of who initiated the intimacy. Buffy’s hands slid up his muscular arms to rest around his neck, one hand playing in the stiff curls at the nape of his neck. Spike’s hands followed different paths, one following Buffy’s lead to rest at the base of her neck, while the second flowed down around her waist to pull her closer against him.

The kiss was gentle and intimate, neither pushing the boundaries to ask for something more. Both seemed content to just explore the others taste and the warmth of the embrace. Reluctantly Spike released her lips to rest his forehead against Buffy’s, leaving her gasping for air. He kept his eyes firmly shut against the soon-to-come denial, wanting to savor the best kiss of his unlife as long as possible.

When Buffy could think clearly again she opened her eyes fearing to see any revulsion from Spike as she had after Willow’s spell. She saw only his tightly shut lids and a seemingly pained expression on his face. Confused she kissed him chastely on the lips.

“Jus’ don’ run off jus’ yet luv,” Spike’s eyes and voice were raw with emotion which shocked Buffy.

“I won’t,” she replied, resting her head in the crook of his neck. “But I need to get home soon Spike. I need to deal with my normal life soon.”

“I know,” Spike cradled her head, letting his fingers move through her hair by their own volition. When Buffy moved to stand, he stood with her, waiting for her to make the next deciding move.

“I’ll talk to you tomorrow ok?” she looked up at him, eyes swimming with uncertainty.

“You know where to find me luv,” he caressed her cheek giving her a soft smile.

“Yeah,” she breathed, moving in for a soft kiss, “Good night Spike. And thanks. For everything.” She blushed softly before turning to head off toward Revello Drive.

“’Night Buffy,” Spike stood rooted to the spot until he lost sight of her form, then turned to head back to his crypt. What tomorrow would bring he had no idea, but he couldn’t help the wide grin that was plastered on his face. He knew Buffy would probably wake up hating him the next morning, but he’d deal with that when it came. For now he’d revel in the fact that he’d snogged the Slayer. Better than dealing with the turbulent emotions that had been stirred to the surface tonight.



The End.....


A/N - hope you enjoyed my lil' story, please review!