Chapter 12

“Interesting choice of a hideaway. No offense, but isn’t this like hiding from a teacher in the teacher’s lounge?”

“I have the sun on my side.”

On the balcony, the only place friendly to the hospital’s smokers above ground level, Buffy stood in a small patch of direct sunlight.

Lovely, Spike thought, taking two steps forward, completely mesmerized. Her blonde hair, her tan skin, her dazzling green eyes: everything about her glittered under the sun’s rays.

“Hey now, don’t do anything stupid,” Buffy said, eyeing him suspiciously.

“Worried about me, Slayer? Would you hate to see me fry?”

“Hate might be too strong of a word, but just stay back. Stay against the wall.”

“Oh, alright,” he said with a grin. He leaned against the building and lit a cigarette with a flick of his lighter. “You know,” he continued, exhaling smoke from his nose, “if you were trying to avoid me, you fell pretty short. You might be safe in that block of sunlight, but you’re surrounded by shadows. This shade I can handle. You’ve trapped yourself more or less. Now what I’m not sure of, is, if you’ve done this to yourself on purpose or not.”

“Did you leave my sister by herself?”

“No, I did not. I called on that Ken-doll intern of yours.”

“Ben?”

“Yes, bloody Ben,” he mumbled, inspecting the cigarette as he rolled it between his fingers. “So what’s the story with Benny-boy? You like him?”

“What’s it to you? You think you have a claim over me now?” For some reason she decided to flip her hair over her shoulder at that very moment, exposing her long beautiful neck. Spike’s mouth instantly went dry. Was she daring him? Was it an offer, an invitation?

“I just met the guy,” she continued with a scoff. “He probably thinks I’m a freak anyway. Because that’s what this is, Spike, just another freak show.”

“And you’re the Dr. Jekyll-Ms. Hyde of the group, yeah?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“You’re all over the place, pet,” he said, tossing down his cigarette.

“Hey, you’re surrounded by ashtrays. Use them, dummy.” She crouched down and before she could grab the cigarette butt, Spike reached for her wrist.

“Gottcha,” he said with a wink.

“Let go,” she replied. She looked him directly in the eye, but didn’t move a muscle.

“Make me.” He barely tugged and she actually joined him in the shade. His hand slid from her wrist up to her elbow. Her skin was so warm, Spike wondered if he might start to sizzle. “Guess this is the part where I apologize for leaving my crypt without your permission.”

“I didn’t want you here,” she sighed. “This isn’t the time or place to deal with our mess. Whatever we are, whatever we’re doing—whatever we’re not going to do, it isn’t ready to be exposed to the public. It’s too soon and it’s too…weird.”

“Because you don’t know how to handle me yet, am I right?” As she looked ahead, he lightly stroked her elbow with the pads of his fingers.

“You. Dawn. You and Dawn together. It’s too much. Period.”

“If it helps, Dawn and I had a chat.”

“What? You talked about me?”

“Don’t worry. Not much was said, but I believe she’ll think twice before she harasses you again.” Halfway through the sentence, he sought out her left hand, instantly spotting the pretty pink stain.

“At least about me, I hope.” He finished the last words against her skin, brushing it with a kiss.

“Spike,” she began, her voice huskier than usual. “I can’t be like everyone else you charm. I can’t just forget what you are because I find you…”

“Easy on the eyes? A fucking-fantastic kisser?”

“No! You’re just…not as repulsive as usual.”

“That a compliment, Slayer?”

She nodded, eyes downcast, lips out in a slight pout. Spike was sure she didn’t even know she was pouting and that made it even more irresistible. Teeth in his own lower lip, he touched the small of her back, coaxing her closer.

“Spike, no.”

“Why not?”

“Because.”

“That’s not good enough,” he sang. He leaned in and Buffy let out a tiny gasp once their lips met. Since she refused to let him hold her close, he wondered if she’d opened her mouth to him unintentionally. Surely it was an accident, because his Slayer wouldn’t just welcome him into the depths of her sweet mouth…

But then she nipped at him. She actually licked him, letting out a quiet, but unmistakably needy whimper that had him seeing stars.

She wasn’t just welcoming him, she was laying down a red carpet.

And she let him kiss her breathless, but she didn’t give in completely. She somehow stayed lucid enough to halt his every attempt at touching her hair. He wasn’t allowed to sneak a touch under her blousy top either.

“Public. Remember the public,” she panted, gripping his forearms after breaking their kiss with a groan. As her chest heaved, she closed her eyes and licked her kiss-bruised lips.

“Alright. Note taken. Carry on.”

“Stay back.”

“But--.”

“Stay back. Don’t ruin a good thing.”

“That’s what you’re calling this now? A good thing?”

She opened her eyes and Spike didn’t even bother toning down his smirk. “It’s…okay. You’re not ugly, and the kissing is…nice.”

“Excuse me? It’s fucking mind-blowing, and don’t you forget it.”

“If I could, I would,” Buffy grumbled, causing Spike to chuckle softly. “You have an unfair advantage. You have years of practice.”

“Decades,” he practically purred, leaning in closer.

“With that skank Drusilla.” Buffy stepped back before his lips could caress her ear.

“You’re jealous of her too?” He couldn’t be more pleased. “You shouldn’t be, baby. You’re the only one for me now.”

“Yeah, I wouldn’t be so sure of that, and watch the terms of endearment. Don’t get carried away. Or too excited. I was jealous of her years ago, and because of Angel, not you.”

“Come again?”

“I saw her with Angel when you first came to town. They seemed cozy. I thought she was the kind of girl he wanted when he was alive so I dressed up like her for Halloween.”

“Like Dru?”

“Don’t sound so shocked,” she said, letting him go so she could cross her arms over her chest. “You were there. It was the Halloween everyone became their costumes, the costumes they bought from Ethan’s store.”

“I…I’ve never made the connection….”

“Well, you’ve never been the smartest, now have you?”

“Hey, hey,” he said, reaching out before she could go back inside the hospital. “Are we really done here?”

“I am.”

“You’re still upset with me?”

“I’m always upset with you.” Her eyes went to where he was holding her arm then swept back to his face. “Let go.”

“What about dinner? Am I still invited?”

“I don’t know. Mom might not be up for it.”

“Oh.”

“Oh? That’s it?”

“Well, I might not have a soul, but I won’t force my company on a sick woman. If she isn’t feeling well, let her rest.”

“She’s sick, but she isn’t a…” Buffy squirmed out of his hold, her jaw set. “She isn’t a sick woman. Don’t call her that.”

“Buffy—baby, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean anything by it.”

“Don’t call me that either! I need to—I have to see if she’s out of her appointment. I need to check on Dawn.”

“Alright,” he said, following her back to the waiting room.
***

“Is she done? Can we get out of here yet?” Instead of sitting, Buffy stood in front of Ben and Dawn with her arms still crossed. “If she’s just waiting for results, can’t I see her? She shouldn’t have to wait alone.”

“Ah…” Ben glanced at his watch then nervously up at Buffy. “We try to keep the families of our patients--.”

“Corralled in the waiting rooms, yeah yeah, but can’t you actually do something?”

Without saying a word, Spike slouched back into his seat next to Dawn.

“I thought you were going to settle her down,” Dawn mumbled out of the side of her mouth.

“Tried. Got somewhere. Still managed to fail.”

“I want to see my mom. Tell whomever you need to tell that I insisted, because, Ben, I’m insisting.”

“Okay,” he said, taking a deep breath. “I guess you can follow me, I’ll take you back.”
***

Buffy’s heart pounded as Ben approached her mother’s exam room.

“Mrs. Summers?”

“Hold on! I’m almost dressed!” Joyce said through the door.

“Mom? Mom, it’s me. Can I come in?”

“I’ll give you some time alone. I’ll find her doctor.”

Buffy nodded, opening the door once Ben was out of sight. She stepped into the room and watched her mother dress.

“How’d it go?” she asked finally, afraid to hear the answer. “The CAT scan…did it see anything?”

“Can you help me with this?” Joyce handed Buffy a necklace and lifted her hair off her neck.

“Mom…” Buffy’s hands shook as she tried to work the necklace’s clasp. “Are you okay?”

“The doctor seems to think so. It’s just a shadow.”

“A shadow? In your…head?”

“I have another appointment coming up. They need to do a biopsy.”

“Oh.” Tears welled in Buffy’s eyes. She stopped trying to put on the necklace. “Sorry, mom, but I can’t figure out this chain right now.”

“Honey, it’s okay.” Her mother turned and brought her close in a hug. “If something’s wrong, we’ll get it early. Dr. Isaacs says there’s no reason to be concerned.”

“Right. No concern,” Buffy said, inhaling the smell of her mother’s perfume.
***

Spike tried to give them privacy, but Buffy stopped him from wandering off. Their eyes met for only a moment and she said, “Stay.”

He didn’t know where to look, and he wasn’t about to say anything, so he just placed a hand on Dawn’s knee as Joyce spoke to her about shadows and a pending procedure. He took the ‘Get Well Soon’ bear once Dawn passed it to him and stared at it as mother and daughters shared a weepy group hug.

“Spike, thank you for taking care of my girls.”

“Oh, I didn’t…” He looked up and found Joyce coming at him, her arms wide. He allowed himself to be pulled into her embrace and said, “Joyce, you’re welcome,” over her shoulder. Once they broke apart, she straightened his collar and patted his chest.

“Nice shirt.” With a smile, she acknowledged the stuffed animal dangling from his hand. “Is that for me?”

“It is,” Buffy answered.

“I picked it out,” Dawn added.

“Thank you. It’s adorable.” Joyce wrapped one arm around Dawn and the other around Buffy. “Spike, will you be riding home with us?”

“He can’t, the sun’s still out.”

“That’s true, Dawnie, but I don’t think--.”

“He’ll meet us later,” Buffy interrupted, her voice quiet and calm. Their eyes met again and she waited several beats before looking away. “He’ll be at our house for dinner at sundown.”

“Oh, good,” Joyce replied. “Girls, I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait to get out of here.”
***