Chapter 5

"For the last time, we are not going on a date."

"I don't know, Buffy. You did change your clothes."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"You're trying to look your best."

"No."

"Spike, doesn't Buffy look nice? Doesn't her outfit look a lot more attractive than that old pair of jeans and unflattering t-shirt that she wore to school today?"

"Spike?" she twisted to look back at him as they walked down the sidewalk together. "Hello? Earth to Spike, can you hear me?"

"I can hear you, Dawn, but you won't be hearing a peep from me. Nice try though. Regardless of my answer, I'll be stuck with a pissed off Slayer for the rest of my evening, and I'd like to avoid that. If that's even remotely possible," he finished in a mumble.

Hearing him clearly, Buffy turned to give him a glance of her own. Their eyes met for only a moment until she nudged Dawn and told her to keep walking. "Leave him alone. He gets in enough trouble without your help."

"I was just trying to make conversation," Dawn said with a not-so-innocent shrug.

Spike remained silent for the rest of their trip. He kept his hands buried deep in the pockets of his coat as he followed a few steps behind the chatty Summers girls. He didn't need Buffy's flirty black dress pointed out to him; he'd been greedily devouring the view of her backside and tan bare legs since they'd left his crypt.

"How long will you crazy kids be out?" Dawn asked as they reached the Summers' residence. "Should mom and I wait up?"

"No, I want you both in bed and asleep by the time I come back."

"Is Spike going to stay over night? We did a lot of work this afternoon, but his place still isn't livable."

"It's a good thing he's dead. Come on," she said, looking back at Spike. He nodded and filled the place at her side. "I'll see you in the morning, Dawn. If you have any problems, call me or anyone in the gang."

Spike watched the younger girl go, and then he asked, "Do your friends know about your deep, dark, and complicated secret?"

"Spike, I will not--."

"Settle down, I don't expect you to. Just answer me one thing: does Dawn know?"

"No-she can't-no, she'll never know."

"Alright, okay," he said gently. His fingers itched to comfort her. He dug them deeper in his pockets. "I just wondered if you've given her a heads up, that's all."

"She knows to stay away from trouble, but if she can't, she knows to run. She'll find me."

"And me."

"Or you, or Giles, or anyone else."

"So Rupert knows. Did Riley?"

"Spike--."

"Hey," he shrugged, "I'm just trying to keep your secret safe, pet. I won't let anything slip to your friends."

Buffy stared at him before mumbling a quiet ‘thank you.'

"Does this-I know I'm overstepping, but-does this have anything to do with the gigantic snake that was let loose on the town last week? What about that Glory bint?"

Buffy froze. "H-how do you know about her? What do you know about her?"

"Nothing. Calm down. You aren't the only one who can overhear bits and pieces of information, and before you ask, I heard her name from you and your mates."

"You were eavesdropping?"

"How else can a bloke get his daily news, but that doesn't matter. Is Glory after Dawn?"

Buffy's silence spoke volumes, but it was nothing compared to her expression. Whoever or whatever Glory was, she had the Slayer scared and that made Spike's blood run colder than usual.

"Let's go." He reached forward and touched her upper arm. He was careful and incredibly gentle, uncertain if she'd snap at him. The last thing needed was to lose a finger. "Harm's an annoying little gnat, but she won't take long to squash. In fact, if you like, I can go alone. You can stay with your sister. It's my fight anyway."

"No, I need to go. I need the distraction."

"Well, if Harm's good at being anything, she's brilliant at being a distraction."

"That's a terrible thing to say about your girlfriend, even she's Harmony."

"Harm and I, we were never a love match. She might've been head-over-heels, but I merely tolerated her."

"You used her."

"Well...yes. I used her."

"No wonder she torched your place. Where are we going?" she asked once she started to walk along the sidewalk again. She stared ahead and rubbed the area where Spike's fingertips had grazed.

"Sorry about infecting you like that."

"Excuse me?"

"Your arm. I touched it, and now you're rubbing it like you're hoping that it'll fall off. Like you've been infected with cooties or some other imaginary disease that kindergartners give each other."

"You should've kept your hands to yourself. Spike, you didn't answer my question. Where are we going?"

"The mall. Harm's been rattling on about a night owl sale since-God, I don't know when."

"You're sure it's tonight?"

"Positive. She wouldn't shut up about it. If she's in town, she'll be there."

"She'd stay and risk her life over a sale? What store is it?"

"Some department store. I'll know when I see it. It should be the only store open because the sale doesn't even start until nine."

"But," Buffy frowned down at the cell phone she had tucked in her pocket, "it's barely seven."

"She went to this restaurant a lot. It's a French place. The girl's obsessed with Paris. I thought, if you were hungry, we could grab a bite."

Buffy froze again.

Spike had to turn around and walk back to where she was standing. "What's wrong now?" he asked.

"You want to have dinner? Together?"

"She goes there a lot," he said, avoiding her questions. "Constantly-every night really."

"Is there a movie theater that she frequents too? Because while we're there we can catch a movie, right? Wouldn't that be convenient? Dinner and a movie. Spike, what the hell are you doing? Was Dawn right? Is this a date?"

"No, no. A date," he chuckled nervously. "We're looking for Harmony. Besides Harm hated going to the bloody movies. Couldn't sit still long enough, and she'd get the munchies. You know, all those bodies in that dark room."

"Is this a date?"

"No," Spike said as strongly as possible.

"You're just offering to have dinner with me?"

"Well, I-you bloody-well have to eat, don't you? It's not that uncommon, people share meals all the time!"

"Not when they're enemies!"

"We're not enemies, you-you dunce! You helped me last night, and now I'm supplying you with free daycare! It wouldn't be completely insane if we elevated our relationship to something that at least resembled a friendship!"

"You want to be friends? Are you crazy?"

"Yes. I'm completely mad, and I'd like to be your friend. I should be deeply ashamed, but I'm not. I can't beat you, so," he shrugged, "so I might as well join you. And what's a better way to kick off our turning over a new leaf than with dinner?"

"Does Harmony really go to the restaurant that much?"

"Yes. She adores it. It's a tiny place and the décor is cornier than hell, but the food's good. She finds it romantic."

"We'll go there, but I won't eat there. We are not ready for some cozy French café."

"Alright, I understand. We spent awhile arguing so--."

"I'm not a big fan of French anyway, but I could always do Mexican," she grumbled. "Or Italian, or...whatever."

"You're serious?"

"As serious as I can be, because I've completely lost my mind."
***