Author's Chapter Notes:
Reviews and comments are appreciated.
“Buffy?”

The sound of his voice reverberating in her ear was enough to make Buffy’s legs buckle. “Love? You still there?”

The receiver was hanging limply in her right hand as her mind whirled with possibilities. Spike? Could it be? Maybe he hadn’t died after all. Or maybe he had come back to her? Maybe the Powers had finally taken pity on her and allowed her a sliver of happiness in a dark and dreary world. Logically she knew it was absurd, and undoubtedly a cruel trick that she would discover very soon, and lapse back into pitiful heartbreak.

But there was another part of her, a bigger part, a wiser part, that clung to the silky tones that were echoing in her head. That believed he'd been given back to her. After all, she was hardly one to rule out the possibility of resurrection. She was practically a walking advertisement for just how easily someone could be dragged from the great beyond and its deathly clutches. Yes, it was sure as hell possible. Hardly probable, but possible nonetheless. And she wanted it to be possible so badly.

“S…Spike?” The phone was pressed back against her ear, and the hand that tried to hold the receiver steady was trembling violently. “Is… is that…?”

“Oh, pet, it’s so good to hear your voice. Missed you so much.” That was all the convincing that Buffy needed. She was disillusioned with life, perhaps, but she wasn’t so empty that she didn’t recognise her lover’s voice. He’d found her.

Spike…” She was sobbing into the phone, great hearty sobs that tore at her insides so hard. “Oh, god, I thought… I thought you’d… oh, I love you. Spike…” A stunned silence greeted her for several seconds, before she heard his answering whimper of happiness, of loss and joy and the bliss that only being reunited with the one you loved could bring.

“I love you too… Oh, Buffy, I love you too.”

“Where are you? How did… How are you back? I… come and find me, please. Need you so much. Please come and find me.”

“Oh, baby…” There was another pause, before, “How am I back? Not rightly sure, love. One minute there was… well, very little in the way of scenery, and the next I’m languishing in Angelus’ study.”

“Angel? You’re… you’re with Angel? I… why aren’t you here?” Spike chuckled sadly.

“It wasn’t exactly a choice, kitten. I was sort of trapped inside that amulet and it got itself shipped off to his royal forehead. Was with him for a few weeks but he…”

“Weeks? You… you didn’t come and find me?”

“Would have if I could, love. Wanted to. I was a bit… well… incorporeal. And Angel wouldn’t call you. Practically begged the tosser, but he wasn’t having any of it. Wanted you so much, love.”

“I’ve missed you so badly. I just want to hold you. Come here, now. I want to feel you again.”

“If you insist.”

Had she not been so completely caught up in the sound of his voice, she would have noted that it was no longer emitting only from the phone still clasped within trembling fingers, but was now behind her, too. And she almost jumped clear out of her skin when strong, oh-so familiar arms wrapped themselves around her middle, the phone crashing to the floor as a strangled gasp that was equal parts wanting, loving and heartbroken, escaped from her throat. And in the next second she was wrapped so tightly in his arms that she was sure she would break him. She couldn’t keep still; her hands were everywhere, her lips desperately seeking every inch of exposed skin that they could find as he hoisted her into his embrace frantically. “Oh, love. My slayer. My gorgeous girl. Missed you so badly. Love you so much. Say it again, love. Say you love me.”

She was crying again, she knew. His shirt was practically soaked through with her tears of thanks. He was back. She had him back, and she had never been so happy.

“Love you. God, love you, too. Tell me I’m not dreaming, Spike. Dreamt of this so often, that you were back with me again.”

Not a dream. Promise it’s not a dream.”

“Kiss me, please. Please.” His eyes met hers, and she saw for the first time the telling brightness of his gaze. It warmed her heart that he was as happy to be with her as she was to be with him. His lips grazed tenderly against her eager mouth, and she was lost in him. She truly couldn’t understand why she had denied herself this glorious feeling of contentment for so long.

Her fingers grasped greedily at his arms, pulling him flush against her, desperate for more contact with the man she loved. He gently pried her lips apart with his tongue, seeking, stroking, memorising every inch of her as she was him. His taste, his touch. All of it. She wanted to drown in him.

Her palms slid down his firm chest, his painfully familiar T-shirt restricting her fingers from his luscious flesh. “How did you find me?” His mouth had left hers to dart over her chin, across her neck and down, pausing only to suck on her throat as if she was his life line.

“Blackmail.” He didn’t need to elaborate, she got the gist. He’d blackmailed Angel, or one of Angel’s colleagues, into giving him her address. She could hardly reprimand him for it; his questionable methods had brought him to her, and she could never regret that. Her heart was so full that it was brimming over with pure delight; delight like she had never before known.

“God, I don’t care! Just hold me.”

His eyes caressed her softly, and he pulled her more tightly against him, revelling in her scent, so familiar, so wonderful, and thinking fleetingly that he was finally home. It felt like he’d been away for much too long.