Author's Chapter Notes:
This story was written a while back too and I still haven't finished the ending yet. Maybe by getting people to read it I might be able to finally reach the end

This part of the story is told in Buffy's POV.

I own nothing although I would like to own Spike....
The night air was thick with darkness as I stepped out of my front door and on to the veranda. It was about 11:30 on a Thursday night and I was preparing myself for the fights that lay ahead. I sighed deeply. It reminded me of a different time, a different place. A place that’s been destroyed and had taken good friends with it, and a lover that could never be replaced. He was truly one of a kind.

I shut the front door and looked out into the darkness, letting my eyes adjust. Nothing was the same here, yet the only thing that seemed different was the location. I walked out towards the footpath when I heard the front door open again.

“Where are you going?” I turned to see my sister, standing in the ghostly light coming from the hall.

“Hunting, where else?” I turned my back to leave, to give her the hint not to follow, but she persisted.

“Can I come?”

“No.” I know it was blunt and cold, but I didn’t want to take the risk of her getting hurt. Besides, lately I was enjoying being alone and taking some of the work load of Kennedy. I started walking.

“You’re never going to find him.” I spun around, quite taken aback from her last remark.

“He’s gone forever.” She whispered. I saw a tear slip down her face as she turned and walked back into the house, shutting the door behind her. I found a tear sliding down my cheek too. Oh, how I missed him. I turned back to the footpath and begin to walk again. Time to make myself feel better. Time to kick some vampire or demon arse. Which ever came first.

I wandered down the path and headed to the cemetery. A slayers work is never done. My neck started tingling to alert me of a presence and then, as if on que, a vampire popped out from behind the tree in front of me.

“Why sexy, you look a little lost.” I rolled my eyes. This guy thought he was smooth! Ha! As if. He continued after he gave me a look down.

“Well sexy, I might have the….”

“Don’t think so.” I wasn’t in the mood to play any games. My sister really struck a cord with her little performance before I left the house. I quickly pulled a stake from my jacket and rammed it into the vampire’s chest.

“Oh. Slayer.” The vampire exclaimed as I pulled the stake out.

“Yeah. Funny that.” I replied. He busted into a million dust particles and fell to the ground. I watched as the wind swept past and the dust danced in the breeze and went down the path. I still didn’t feel any better. I had a memory flash of myself and Spike doing this. It was always fun when he was around and now, well now it just felt like something I had to do. I will find him!! I just knew it.

“I WILL FIND HIM!” I shouted to the darkness.

“Find who?” I jumped, startled by the sudden intrusion. I knew the voice and it was just like him to show up un-announced. I spun around to face him.

“Never you mind busy body, and don’t sneak up on me like that; you know I hate it.” I spat out angrily. He raised his hands.

“Whoa, sorry, just thought I had some valuable information for you, but I can see you’re busy…”

“Information about what?” I knew he was baiting me, but I was interested in finding out what he knew.

“Well who are you trying to find?”

”I don’t have time for these games.” I shot hotly. He smiled, which was a rare sight on this soul filled vampire. I could see that I was amusing him, but I wasn’t in the mood for games tonight.

“Well, I need to know so I can give you the right information is all.” He cockily persuaded.

”You know exactly who I am looking for. Remember, he took your place.” I spat. He did save the world and had disappeared from the result of it and as much as I thought I hated him before, I missed him twice as much now. I know I was being cruel to Angel but I was too angry to care. I heard Angel sigh.

“I heard that a half-demon named Jack over on the east side of town knows something about the origin of the amulet. He runs the mechanic shop on Hudson Drive. He is out of town at the moment though.” I drew my breath.

“Well, when does he come back?” I could feel my heart inching up into my throat.

“Not till Friday, he is in L.A., doing some undercover work for Wolfman and Hart.” He paused then added. “It is to bust an underground vampire gang that is praying on a primary school for there regular meals.” I stood still and waited for the information to absorb before I responded.

“Fine, then you tell….tell…”

“Jack.”

“…Jack, right….you tell…you tell Jack that I want to see him when he gets back and…and that it’s urgent. Got it?” I searched the vampire’s face for a reaction to the words I had just spoken. As usual, he showed nothing.

“I’ll make sure he finds out.” He turned to walk into the darkness. “Good luck.” He whispered and with that he walked off, disappearing into the night. Damn that vampire! I giggled out loud at the thought. He already has been damned.

I set off to the cemetery, it wasn’t far now, just a few more metres. As I closed in, I heard the familiar sound of fresh dirt being pushed towards the surface and crumbling over the newly soft dug grave. I grabbed my stake out of my jacket. The familiar tingling of the back of my neck was there and I was ready to fight. I pushed into the cemetery to be alerted by now a familiar sight. The once red-headed computer nerd was harnessing her extreme witching power to harass all sleeping vampires to rise. I found out just recently that she got quite a kick out of it. She was doing so much better these days and I was happy for that.

“How did you know I was coming out tonight?” I asked. She answered without breaking her concentration.

“Your sister told me.” She shot me a huge grin. “Anyway, you know I like helping, it makes me feel good and an excellent excuse to hang out with you.”
“How true.” I grinned back at her; she always managed to get a smile out of me. The noise of shifting dirt brought me back to the reality at hand. A vampire to my right was clawing its way up to the surface. I waited for it to climb out before I kicked it in the head, sending it flying into the closest tomb stone. Loose dirt fell from the vampire’s long dirty blonde hair. It was a young female, not much older then myself if that even mattered. As I approached her, she jumped to her feet abruptly and punched me in the jaw with a right hook.

“That’s not the smartest thing you have ever done is it?” I quipped. She tried to swipe me again but I caught her fist and punchered her in the chest with my stake. I heard her moan as I pulled it out. The vampire combusted into dust and I turned back to my friend.

“Many tonight?”

“Nope, think she’s the only one.” I saw her end the spell and bless the spirits for helping her. I walked over her, hoping to tell her about the news.

“Guess what? Kennedy is…” Willow began.

“I found someone who knows about the amulet.” I blurted. I saw her eyebrows rise in surprise.

“How?”

“It doesn’t matter how; the matter is that I might be finally be able to find out what and how…” I drifted off in mid sentence, my mind filling of only thoughts for him. I felt a comforting arm gather my shoulders and give a little squeeze.

“You will find him you know that, right?” I pushed away fallen tears that I didn’t even feel.

“Yeah, I know, I just miss him so much Will. Everyone does. Nothing really has been the same since it happened.”

“Well the whole town did get blown up, and we did lose some very close friends.” I heard her sigh, remembering that awful day. We were lucky to get out of there with our lives. Spike had been the one that saved us all. I heard her clear her throat before she continued.

“We have been given a new beginning, the old gang, as we were when it all began.” I knew it was an attempt to comfort me, but I didn’t agree with her.

“Yeah, but after everything we have been though, it doesn’t seem fair that we got this second chance and the others didn’t. They deserved it as much as we do. They fought as hard as us.” I saw Willow’s face change from sombre to determine.

“Yes maybe so but don’t you think that they would want us dwelling on them, being all sad-sacky ‘cause they are not here? No. They would want us to be out there, kicking all those demon and vampire butt ‘cause they can’t.” I nodded my head dumbly in agreeance. She was right, but I was still determined to find out what happened to my, well our blonde soul-filled vampire. I knew he was still alive, still existed somewhere. I could feel it. All I have to do is go and see this Jack guy and find out about the amulet, and then I will find him and set him free. My distant gaze must of caught Willow’s eye.

“Come on, it’s late. Let’s go home and get some sleep.” I looked at my friend intently.

“Yeah, I’m tired.” We walked out of the cemetery and headed for my house. We walked in silence, neither one of us knowing what to say to the other. I tried anyway.

“You wanna come and stay at home tonight?” Her green eyes locked on me. They were sad looking.

“I can’t. I’m working on something and I have to get back to it. Besides Kennedy is coming back tomorrow from her parents. I wanna be home when she gets there.” She said quickly. She then turned her head and looked at the ground. We continued walking in silence until we reached the short-cut to her house.

“Gotta go, see you tomorrow.” To my amazement, she gave me a quick hug and sprinted off into the dark track. Weird, but so her. I slowly walked the rest of the way home, which wasn’t far. As I approached the house, I could see that the lounge room light was on. Damn, I thought Dawn would be in bed by now. I opened the front door quietly, it didn’t squeak like the old one. I slipped in and shut it silently behind me. I smiled. My dear sister had indeed tried to stay up to talk to me when I got home, but here she was crashed out on the couch with MTV playing quietly on the box. I went and grabbed a blanket from the closet and laid it over her and then turned off the T.V. She stirred as I did so, grabbing the blanket she curled into it and started to lightly snore. I turned off the lounge room light and headed upstairs. I glanced at the clock; it was now 2:30 am. I was too tired for a shower so I decided to go straight to bed. No sooner did my head hit the pillow was I away in snooze land.

I awoke the next day with the sun shining brightly in my eyes. I groaned and looked at the clock. 11:45. Crap, slept in again. Good thing it was school holidays. Good thing I was on holidays. I grabbed my slippers, put them on and hurried downstairs. The house was quiet and I soon discovered why. There was a note on the fridge from my sister it read:


Buffy,

Gone over to see the rest of the gang.
Hope you enjoyed your sleep in.
Won’t be out late, you relax and I promise I will stay out of trouble!!

Luv,
Dawn.

Very cute. Well at least she told me where she was. I can’t really complain though, she has been pretty good since everything happened. She always tells me where she is going and what she has done. I decided that since I was at the fridge that I would eat. I opened the door and stared aimlessly at the contents. There was really nothing that screamed eat me, so I closed the door and turned the kettle on. Coffee will help me wake up. Coffee will help me function. BANG, BANG, BANG! I jumped and turned to the back door to see who had just startled me. It was the male part of my orginal awesome threesome. I motioned him to enter, but when he turned the handle he found that it was locked. Whoh, Dawnie really is being protective. I walked over and unlocked the door and let him in.

“Nice day huh?” He commented as I opened the door.

“Dunno, just woke up. Want coffee?”

“Just?? Yeah coffee would be good.” He plonked down on the chair closest to him.

“Your sister is scoping out the witchy-ness of our fellow red head. She….”

“She’s not doing any spells or anything is she?” I blurted.

“Your sister? As if! I said that she was scoping not doing, geeze girl, lighten up!” I walked over to the cupboard and removed two cups and set them down on the bench. I heard the kettle click off. Coffee time for me. I scooped the coffee and sugar in to the cups and poured the hot water in. I turned to get the milk when I heard a soft plonk on the bench. I looked to see Xander grinning at me with his hand still on the milk bottle.

“I gather you need this to complete that awesome brew of yours Miss.” I smiled at him. He removed his hand and went and sat back where he was sitting before.

“Thanks.” I poured milk into both cups and stirred it in. I passed one cup to Xander and grabbed the other one for me. I sat on the spare stool and started sipping on my hot beverage.

“So, what are you doing today?” He asked casually. Too casual.

“Why? What’s going on?” I asked him suspiciously.

“Nothing. It’s just that the Carnival is in town and I was wondering if you would join me. The others are going to meet up with me, well us if you come, there.”

“Even Giles…”

“Yes even Giles. He said that it would be good for him to get his nose out of a book and enjoy the world for once…Honestly that is what he said. You know he has been working non stop down at his new office.” His eye was pleading and I knew if I said no I would break his heart. Well it would be fun; I haven’t been to a carnival since before mum passed away.

“Yeah I know I haven’t seen him for like a week.” I sighed.

“Ok. Fine. I will come but I have to have a shower and beautify myself first.” He nodded in agreement.

“That is fine I have to do the same thing anyway.”

“You need to beautify yourself?”

“Well, yes.” He smiled cheekily.

“I’ll be back in about half an hour ok so be ready.”

“Yes sir!” I snickered back to him. He still sometimes came out all military which cracked us all up. It was very hard to not laugh as of the whole eye patch thing now. He drained his cup and got off his stool.

“I mean it Summers. Half an hour. No more.” I saw him smile as he reached for the door handle.

“Alright. But this time come to the front door.”

“Fine, but answer this time ok?” I nodded my head and he walked out, closing the door behind him. I took few more sips out of my cup before placing it on the bench. I then got up and locked the door after my Xander. Time for a shower. I raced up the stairs to the bathroom. I was actually a bit excited I realised. I turned the hot and cold taps on and watched as the water fell in tiny droplet’s to the shower floor. I slipped out of my clothes and eased under the warm water. It felt good on my tired body. I let my back slide down the back of the shower till my butt hit the floor. As the fell on my body I could feel my thoughts being dragged back to the mysterious amulet. If by some chance he was trapped inside by a magical force, could he be freed? I let my mind in vision me with his face, remembering how sometimes he would smile, that his eyes were for only me and that he would do anything for me. All too soon the water started to get cold and his memory was jolted out of my thoughts. I slowly stood up and gave myself a quick wash then turned off the water. It was cold now anyway. I reached out and grabbed my favourite towel and wrapped it around me. As I stepped out of the bathroom I could hear the soft knocking on the front door. I knew who it was and he could wait. I needed to get dry and dressed after all.

As I entered my room and sighed. I have to stop thinking about him I told myself firmly. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Soon, soon I will find out. I quickly dried and got dressed, throwing on a red lacy singlet and a pair of jeans. I grabbed my brush and hurried downstairs. The knocking had stopped but when I opened the front door, he was sitting on the step, looking very impatient.

“Really, I should of known better Summers. Your 15 minutes late.”

“I warned you, I am very high to maintain. That equals time.” I smiled at him, showing him that I didn’t do it on purpose. He smiled back.

“Come on, lets get going, the rest of the gang are meeting us there, luckily.” He quipped.

“Right just let me grab by purse.” I spun around to the dresser in the hallway. I quickly and neatly put up my hair in a ponytail and grabbed my purse and keys and headed out the door. I turned the lock and shut the door.

“So, where exactly is this carnival? I haven’t seen it on any of my patrols.” We strolled towards the car. I had to admit I was excited to be going to the carnival and to travel in Xander’s new car. Well, old new car. It was a second hand Dodge and in good condition at that. He had brought it extremely cheap not too long ago when he went to L.A. for a business meeting. Since he lost his eye he couldn’t build but the company that he was working at let him stay on to be a business man.

“The location only to you is secret my dear slayer.” He leaned forward and opened the passenger door for me. I gratefully sat down on the soft cushioned seat and swung my legs into the car. He shut the door and hurried to the driver’s side and jumped in.

“All buckled up?” CLICK, CLICK went our seat belts. I heard the keys turn in the ignition and the engine roared to life.

“Let’s get going then shall we.” The car shot off the curb and I felt myself being launched back into the seat. I glanced at the male driver and smiled. He had been through a lot, like the rest of us. He lost the only woman that loved him as much as he loved her. Although I knew he was never fond of Spike, he was never fond of any of my boyfriends and I knew he missed him, just a little bit. I knew who missed Spike the most and that was my Dawn. I have often heard her cry herself to sleep at night. I felt a tap on my shoulder.

“Earth to Miss-I’m-in-la-la-land. Where here.” I looked up. There, in front of me was the most biggest Ferris wheel I had seen in my life! I opened the car door and got out. I could hear the shrieks of joy coming from the different rides. Hmmm…so many memories come flooding back of the old days.

“Well come on!” I heard Xander’s voice again. It had an impatient tone to it. I reached into the car and grabbed my purse then locked and shut the door.

“I’m sorry; it’s just been so long since I have been to been to one of these.”

“Same here, that’s why I want to get in there!” He motioned to the gate.

“OK, I’m coming!” Gee wiz he can be pushy when he wants to be! We walked to the front gate and Xander paid for both our tickets. I strolled ahead, trying to get a glimpse of the gang. I found Willow and Kennedy sitting on a bench looking enthusiastically at a ride.

“I bet Andrew pukes.” I heard Kennedy say as I walked up.

“Hey all.” Willow and Kennedy turned and smiled.

“Hey Buffy. Wanna put a bet on whether Andrew pukes on that ride?” Willow asked smiling and pointing to a roller coaster. Before I could answer I saw Giles walking up.

“Well who thought you would come to a carnival Giles?” He smiled warmly.

“I thought the fresh air would do me good actually.” He replied.

“Oh Giles don’t lie, you came cause me and Willow made you.” Kennedy quirked.

“Ah well yes that too I suppose.” Giles said sheepishly. Willow suddenly jumped up.

“YES! I won the bet.” She had a huge grin on her face. I couldn’t help but smile. Soon Dawn and Andrew came walking towards me and the group. I could hear Andrew talking to Dawn.

“…..I am never trusting you again Dawn. That was awful not to mention that I felt so sick…..oh hey Buffy.” I saw Kennedy smirk out of the corner of my eye. Xander spoke up.

“Well come on….Lets all go and have some fun!!”

“Oh no not again.” Andrew wimpered.

We spent the rest of the day trying different rides, we had Andrew puke up on one and we even managed to get Giles onto a few of the less scary ones. By the time it was getting dark Dawn, Xander, Andrew and I had been on every ride in the carnival at least once.

“That was so fun.” I heard Dawnie squeak in delight as we headed to our cars. “Too bad its not here all the time though.”

“Well I am glad its not here all the time, those rides were horrible.” Andrew complained. I saw Willow and Xander talking in hushed tones near Giles’ car. I thought nothing of it and walked over to Xander’s car.

“Meet you at Buffy’s house then.” Xander said as he walked over to his car. Willow nodded her head and got into Giles’ car. I heard Xander unlock his door and open it. I waved off every one in Giles’ car and then got into Xander’s car.

“That was fun wasn’t it?” Xander asked after I got into the car and closed the door.

“Yeah, it was nice. I haven’t been to one of them since…..well since a very long time.” I replied. Xander didn’t push it any further.

“Right well…..” He paused, staring out the window for a brief moment before he put the key in the ignition.

“…..Lets get going.” He started up the car and we were on our way. I reached over and turned on the radio. Some new pop song was on. Xander and I giggled and started singing along to it. We were about a block away from home before Xander turned to me.

“Buffy, I need to quickly go down to the Mall. I need to pick up something. You don’t mind do you?” He asked.

“Nope, go ahead. I only have to patrol tonight but that isn’t until later.” Xander smiled.

“Thanks Buff.” He skilfully turned the car around towards the direction of the mall. It didn’t take us long to get there as there was no traffic anywhere. As we pulled in I saw a man in a uniform pulling down the metal roller door to the entrance of the mall. Xander saw it too.

“Damn.” I heard Xander curse.

“Well there goes that idea.” He turned the car around and headed back to my house. We pulled up out the front. That was odd. No one was there. All the lights were off.

“Looks like they’re not back yet. Wonder what is keeping them?” I said allowed.

“Properly had to stop because Andrew was sick.” Xander giggled. I nodded my head in agreement.

“God, lets go inside, I need to eat, cotton candy isn’t exactly a food.” I grinned and started up the path to the door. I grabbed my keys out of my purse and unlocked the door. I felt for the light switch. I found it and flicked it on.

“SURPRISE!!!!!!!” I almost jumped out of my skin. There stood everyone Dawn, Willow, Kennedy, Andrew and Giles all wearing silly party hats and grinning. Xander walked up behind me and popped a party hat on me. He already had one on.

“Happy birthday to you…..” they all sung off key. I started laughing.

“OH my GOD! Are you serious? I thought I told you not to do anything for my birthday??”

“Yeah well it doesn’t work like that does it?” Dawn said.

“I am so going to kill you.” I laughed at her. Dawn held her hands up defensively.

“Hey if you want to kill anyone, kill Willow. It was all her idea.” I got it then. Willow dashing off quickly, Giles being extra busy then normal, Dawn going to Willow’s and Kennedy’s all the time, Andrew avoiding me and Xander stalling me. It all made sense.

“Your all dead.” I tried to say as seriously as I could. I burst out laughing.

“Thank you though….I really needed this.”

“Come on lets eat, this food isn’t going to eat itself you know.” Andrew quipped. We all headed to the dining table were I saw it was beautifully layed out with food. I let out a gasp.

“Oh, whow! Who did all of this?” I asked no one in particular.

“Andrew and Willow mostly. But I helped too.” Dawn piped up.

“Hope you like it Buffy.” Willow responded.

“Yeah, hope you like it.” Andrew echoed. I sat down with everyone and we all started eating. By the end of the night I was so full I could hardly move. I thanked everyone again as they left. As Andrew left he said.

“Enjoy your birthday Buffy. Oh and don’t forget to check your bed.”

“My bed?” I asked. He just smiled and walked out the front door. Kennedy walked towards me with Willow in tow. She lent over and gave me a hug.

“Have the night off Buffy. I will cover for you.”

“Thank you.” Willow hugged me next.

“Yeah, have a rest you earned it Buff.” She grinned at me.

“Happy birthday.” They chorused. The pair walked out the door. I closed it behind them. Xander, Giles and Dawn were in the kitchen. Xander and Giles were doing the dishes while Dawn was making conversation. She was telling them about something that happened while they were at the carnival.

“I’m going to bed. I’m beat.” I told them.

“Night.” They all chorused.
I headed up the stairs and went straight to my room. I switched on the light. There was something sitting on my bed. It looked like a video tape. I went over and picked it up. It had a note in it.

Dear Buffy,

I don’t know how to bring him back although we all have tried to find away. I remembered I still had this.
It’s that annoying video I was making back in Sunnydale. There is something on here that I thought you should see. To help you remember him. I haven’t edited it. It is everything I taped. I thought that you needed the tape more then me. So Happy Birthday. I wish I could of made it better for you.

Andrew.

I took the video out of its case and put it into the VCR that I had in my room. I flicked on the TV and watched the footage. The first it was mostly about the potential slayers and me going on with my annoying, long winded speeches. Then suddenly Spikes face came onto the screen. He was trying to act all tough and marcho. I heard Andrew say something about the lighting wasn’t right and Spike did his little skit again. I felt tears falling down my face. It then cut to a scene with Xander and Anya talking about why when they were together things didn’t work out. Xander had both of his eyes in this clip. I cried harder, remembering both of them. I then rewound the tape back to Spike and watched it again. I then flicked off the TV and sunk into my bed. I soon slipped into a dreamless slumber.

The rest of the week went pretty slow, Kennedy and I done our patrols and Giles started to train a few more of the slayers. Dawn, Andrew and Xander went back to the carnival twice more and from what Dawn told me, Andrew was still throwing up on some ride no matter how many times he went on it. I decided to keep the tape to myself, it would of only upset Dawn if she seen it. I managed to pull Andrew aside to thank him, he only blushed and told me it was nothing.

Friday finally came around. I had gone past the mechanic shop Angel had told me about a few times on patrol during the week and I had found it was closed up tight. However, tonight was different, there was a light on in the back of the work area. I steered Kennedy away from the area, I wanted to see this Jack fella alone. Kennedy and I managed to find a few vampires and killed them with ease. I suggested to her that we should call it a night.

“Sounds good Buffy. I wouldn’t mind spending some time with Willow. You know, girl stuff.” I smiled at her.

“Go ahead, really I don’t mind. I might do one more quick sweep before I go home and pack it in.” I saw Kennedy shot me a funny look.

“Kennedy, I will be fine!” She finally relented.

“Ok, I will see you tomorrow.” She handed me her stake and headed into the direction of her house. When I was sure she was gone, I turned myself into the direction of Jack’s Mechanic shop. It didn’t take me long to get there. The light was still on which was a bonus. I took a quick look around and seeing no one, I knocked on the door. The door clanged as I knocked on it. I heard a shuffling sound coming from inside and then a lock sliding open.

“Who’z that knockin’ on my door?” Came a husky male voice. Before I could answer, the door opened and there stood a middle aged man with short brown hair. I saw him look me once over.

“You must be Buffy. Come in.” He gestured his arm to wave me inside and stepped behind the door to let me in. I stepped inside and I saw Jack give me a faint smile. The place smelt strongly of motor oil and I wrinkled my nose up in disgust. Jack didn’t seem to notice. Instead he closed the front door, locked it and started to the back of his shed.

“Angel told me to expect you. He told me that you wanted some information on a particular amulet.” He sat down on a stool near the work bench and gestured me to sit on the one next to him. I quickly sat down, making myself comfortable. I heard Jack clear his throat.

“The information that you seek is close to your grasp…… If you make the right decision things will go as destiny planned it.”

“What do you mean the right decision?” I saw Jack reach down and open a draw. He seemed to take something out before closing it again. His eyes locked into mine.

“Are you sure that this is what you want?”

“What I want?” I asked confused.

“To know about what I can tell you.” I rolled my eyes.

“Well duh……that’s why I am here ain’t I?”

“Very well.” He brought his hand up onto the bench and let go of what he held in his hand. I gasped as I looked on.

“Is that……” I couldn’t even bring myself to say the rest of the sentence.

“…..it is the amulet.” Jack ended.

“Where did you get that?” I could feel my eyes welling up with tears remembering what happened that day.

“It doesn’t matter where I got it the important thing is what you are going to do with it.” I suddenly had an impulsive urge to reach over and pick it up. As the amulet connected with my fingers it started glowing. Whoh! Intense.

“Use it wisely.” Jack told me before he slid off his chair and walked out of the room. He turned back.

“You can see yourself out I presume.” He walked into one of the back rooms. I couldn’t believe it. Here I had the amulet….the very amulet that took Spike away from us all. I sighed.

“I wish Spike was alive.” No sooner as the words were out of my mouth, the amulet started to grow hot in my hands. The light got brighter until it was blinding, then suddenly, it went dull. The stone in the amulet went cold. I looked around. Nothing.

“Stupid thing.” I threw the amulet into the junk that was piled up in one of the corners of the shop. I jumped off my stool and left, heading for home. I knew I shouldn’t of done this. I stormed out the front door, slamming it a little too hard. Too bad. I was so mad and there was nothing I could do to make it go away. I decided to go home and go to bed. In no time I was home. I opened the front door and crept in. All the lights where off so that was a good sign. I crept up the stairs to my room. So far so good. I opened my bedroom door and flicked on the light. Time for bed. I stripped off my jacket and clothes and put on my pj’s on. I reached over and flicked the light off and climbed into bed. No sooner did my head seem to hit the pillow I was asleep and I started dreaming.

It was a lovely day, the sun was shining brightly. I was standing in the rumble of Sunnydale. There was a figure standing in the distance and I squinted to see. I felt my heart learch as the figure started towards me. That hair, those clothes. I knew them they were…it was SPIKE!! He was smiling at me, walking towards me. In the daylight, in the sunlight. He walked up and touched my face…

“Buffy! Buffy.” Great, I opened my eyes and saw my sister shaking me.

Buffy, you have to get up.” I sat up and rubbed my eyes, the dream of Spike still lingering in her mind.

“Why?”

“Coz you have to take me to school. Xander just rang and he can’t take me. Plus I missed the bus.” Dawn smiled sheepishly.

“So, please??” I grunted at her and swung my legs out of bed. Little did I know then, but things were about to change. I had no idea of what I had done.


TO BE CONTINUED......