Chapter 11

“When do you think Harmony will leave? I’ve been thinking, and I realized that we never gave her a date to be out by. What if she demands two weeks’ notice? Do you think she would do that?”

“Sounds like somebody had a thought-provoking trip to the bathroom.”

“I’m serious, Spike. What if she takes your house hostage? She’s over there and free to do only God knows what to your stuff. She could be having a bonfire. All your clothes could be going up in smoke as we speak.”

“Aw, pet,” Spike left his spot on the couch to join Buffy where she stood by the window that faced his house, “you’re really worrying about her, aren’t you?”

“I think you underestimate her. Harmony may not seem like the brightest crayon in the Crayola box, but she is a woman that has been recently scorned and because of that, yes, she’s making me feel very worried.”

“And a bit paranoid?” he suggested softly, wrapping his arms around her waist from behind. “Honestly, I doubt that she’ll stick around. We busted up her ego pretty good.”

“So, you think that she’ll just pack up her unicorns and take the next bus out of town?”

Spike nodded, pressing his cheek against Buffy’s hair. “She’ll do all that with her tail drooping between her legs.”

“You’re sounding very confident. I didn’t think you knew her that well.”

“She was my girlfriend, not a complete stranger.”

“Was. She’s not your anything now…well other than your ex-girlfriend.”

“You’re jealous.”

“Maybe I am.” Buffy didn’t have to turn her head to know that Spike was smirking as he softly kissed her neck.

“You don’t have to be jealous. Whether she hangs around or not,” he whispered, “it’s our turn to be together.”

“I just want her out of the picture, and now please.”

“Alright, if it’d make you feel better, I’ll go over there.”

“Really? You’d do that?”

“Sure, why not? I’ll see what Harm’s up to and I’ll make it very clear that her skinny ass needs to find it’s way out of my place.”

“And while you do that,” Buffy spun in his arms until they stood face to face, “I’ll go talk to your sister. Do you think she’ll be at the diner or at home?”

“Give the house a call before you head out.” Cupping her face between his palms, Spike gave her a brief kiss on the lips. “If you wanted me to go over there all along, you should’ve said something sooner, pet.”

“I would’ve, but I can’t shake the feeling that I’m sending my new puppy to be eaten by the Big Bad Wolf.”

“In that scenario of yours, who’s the puppy exactly?”

“Okay, maybe puppy isn’t the best choice of animal, Mr. Blondie Bear.”

“Oh you, aren’t you a feisty one, Ms. Summers?”

Once Spike started to chuckle, Buffy broke off his laughter by pulling him in for a deep kiss. “Before you go next-door, can I make a request?”

“Request?” he panted, struggling to catch his breath.

“From now on, don’t mention Harmony’s parts. I don’t want to hear about her skinny ass and definitely not a word about anything that lies between her legs.”

“Buffy, ah…I didn’t mean anything by that. I just--.”

“I know. I’m being stupid, but—just promise me, Spike.”

“Alright, I promise.”

“Thank you,” she whispered before covering his mouth again with her own. They kissed slowly until Buffy parted her lips, granting him access to her tongue and teeth. Moaning in unison, they stumbled until Buffy’s back was propped against the windowpane. “Tonight,” she gasped, “or until Harmony moves out, you can sleep here…”

“I’d love to.” In one graceful movement, he lifted Buffy into the air. Without hesitating, she wrapped her legs around his waist.

“But-Spike, let me finish,” she laughed, moving her mouth so it was out of his reach. “You’ll sleep on the couch.”

“The couch?”

“You may be gorgeous and the biggest flirt on the planet—and oh, the owner of very strong arms—but I won’t have you weaseling your way into my bed that easily.”

“Weasel?”

“Will you stop repeating everything that I say,” she teased. Buffy squirmed in his hold and let out an involuntary groan once her inner thigh brushed against a hard swelling in his jeans.

“Buffy,” he began, his voice deeper than usual, “I’m not going to push. I’m not going to trick you or beg you…even though I’m fighting off the need to plead…I’m not going into your bed without an invite, alright? If you want me on the couch, then that’ll be my place.” Their eyes meet and they spent the next few minutes clutching each other in silence.

“I should…put you down,” he muttered. “I need to go, gotta see Harm and all. I’ll be back though.” Feeling slightly embarrassed, Spike placed Buffy carefully onto the floor. “We’ll have dinner. Our first legitimate date, how’s that sound?”

When Buffy remained silent, he gathered his coat and headed for the door.

“What if I want you to push?”

“What?” Spike asked, Buffy’s quiet question taking him off-guard. “Did you say something?”

“We’re both adults. I want you and you want me. Why shouldn’t you push? And by ‘push’ I’m assuming that you mean in a non-violent sense of the word.”

“Buffy, what are you saying?”

“Well, I’m not saying let’s do it right here and now, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“I’m not—like I’d think that,” he snorted.

“I’m saying that you don’t have to treat me like I’m made out of glass. Sure Riley knocked me around, but I’m a big girl. You can push all you’d like.” Buffy walked across the room to give him a peck on the cheek. “It won’t mean that you’ll always get your way, but you’re free try. You may find that I’m pretty easy to crack,” she said, smiling sweetly.

“I see,” he said, sharing her smirk. “So, does this mean--.”

“Nope, you’re still sleeping on the couch.”
***

“Harmony?” Spike opened the front door and cautiously stepped into his home. “Harm, are you here?”

“Spike? What are you doing here? Why aren’t you still macking on that Buffy Summers? I can’t believe you two, going at it in front of an open window. You could’ve closed the freaking blinds?”

“Harm--.”

“If you’re here to tell me that you love me and that you made a gigantic mistake and that you want me back, it’s not going to work. You can cry and try to seduce me, but I’m not going to give in to you. You lost this, Spike.” With a flip of her wrist, Harmony ran a hand down the side of her body.

“Oh, so you’re leaving?” He scanned the room and noted that boxes were surrounding her feet. “You’re all packed up?”

“I’m almost done and then I will be out of your life forever!” Harmony sniffled dramatically as she crammed one last stuffed animal into an already full box. “And I’m keeping all the presents that you gave me!”

“That’s alright.”

“And…and I’m taking the--.”

“Take whatever you want, but I want my key back.”

“You mean, our house key?”

“Yes, Harm. Hand it over.”

“But,” she frowned, “you aren’t going to say that you love me and that you made a gigantic mistake and that you want me back?”

“No,” Spike answered, struggling to keep an emotionless face. “If you don’t give it, I’ll get the locks changed, pet.”

“Spike! Why are you doing this?” She stomped her feet in a pout before reaching for her purse. “I thought that we were happy!”

“Now you know that’s not true. I was mean to you. You told me that on a daily basis. I yelled at you a lot. I’m a mean, rotten man. Remember the time you drew hearts on my back with your lipstick? I was pissed for days because you didn’t tell me before I rolled over and ruined the sheets.”

“You were mean,” Harmony agreed, wrinkling her nose. “You were really, really mean!”

“I was a brute—sod that, I still am.”

“You are!” After freeing her key from a dozen pink key chains, she pressed it into his palm. “You know what? I was going to dump you anyway! I was going to do it last night!”

“Really?”

“Yes! That’s the only reason why I was upset when you went missing. I wanted to find you so I could leave your stupid…stupid self!”

Spike tried not to grin, happy that Harmony was falling for his trap. He’d rather have her furious than crying over their broken relationship. “So, when can I expect you to be out by?”
***

“I can’t believe him! He’s such a chicken! He made you break up with Harmony?”

“I didn’t do all the talking, but I got things moving in the right direction, I guess,” Buffy explained with a shrug. “It seemed like the best thing to do at the time. He needed my help and I wasn’t going to deny him that.”

“You’re too nice. I’m just happy that he’s kicking her out all by his lonesome. It’ll do him some good. God, I’m so glad that she’ll be gone! I still don’t know what he saw in her—well, other than her Buffy-like qualities…”

“Her what?”

“You’ve spent time with Angel and he hasn’t ratted Spike out? Wow,” Dawn laughed. “Well, you’ve seen Harmony. She has blonde hair and almost your shade of eye color. I guess if you narrow your eyes, Harmony looks a lot like you.” From where she was sitting in her living room, Dawn squinted as she looked at Buffy. “You kinda look like her too. I bet if we were farther apart, the resemblance would double or maybe triple.”

“You’ve got to be kidding. He—that’s gross!”

“William’s a gross guy. It sounds like a bad county song, huh? I dated her—or was it I married her—just because she looked like you?”

“Either way, ew.”

“I hope that doesn’t tarnish your opinion of my darling brother. If it does, you didn’t hear anything from me, okay?”

“Are sure that that’s the only reason why he was with her?”

“I don’t know, but you can ask him yourself. Hey, Spike, why’d you date Harmony? Was it just because she looked like Buffy?”

“What?” Spike asked, emerging from the back of the house. “Why’d I do what now?”

“Spike,” Buffy gasped. “Where’d you come from?”

“The kitchen. Scoot,” he answered, lifting up a newly made sandwich and sitting onto the loveseat with Buffy. “I let myself in through the back.”

“I thought we had plans for dinner?”

“We do. It’s a snack. Want some?”

“No thanks,” Buffy laughed, pushing away his offering.

“So, from the sound of it, you were whispering nasties about me.” He rested his hand on Buffy’s knee and gave it a playful squeeze. “I knew it was a bad idea to leave you girls alone.”

“How’d it go with Harmony?”

“She’ll be gone tomorrow. A friend is coming to pick her up in the morning. See, you had nothing to worry about, goldilocks.”

“Good,” Buffy sighed in relief.

“I checked my stuff and there wasn’t a bonfire either. I’m letting her stay there overnight because I owe it to her since I wronged her.”

“You don’t owe her anything,” Dawn said, crossing her arms. “Where are you supposed to sleep if she’s in your house? My house won’t always be free to you, William.”

“I’ve already set up my sleeping arrangements, bit.”

“Are you actually going to get a hotel—oh…oh! I see.”

“He’s going to sleep on my couch,” Buffy explained, emphasizing the word ‘couch.’

“Buffy, you skank!” Dawn teased.

“He’ll be on my couch! Spike, tell her.”

“That’s what we agreed on.”

“Yeah right, but really, don’t care where he sleeps as long as it’s not in my house,” Dawn giggled. “Because sleeping here makes him think that he can also eat all my food and sit in front of my TV for hours on end.”

“They’ve got cable,” Spike explained to Buffy.

“And you don’t?”

“I do, but not all the movie channels. Why pay for Skinemax when I can get it here for free?”

“Yeah, I’m sure there’s nothing like watching soft core porn when you’re at your sister’s house,” Buffy said, wrinkling her nose. “I don’t know about you.”

“I told you that he was gross, Buffy.”

“Why am I gross?”

“I’ll let Buffy talk to you about that, I’ve got dinner to start.” Smirking, Dawn left Spike and Buffy alone in the living room.
***

“What’d I do? What vicious rumors is she spreading about me?”

“It’s nothing really. She gave me her reasoning as to why she thinks you dated Harmony. Dawn said it had a lot to do with her looks.”

“I’ll agree with that, but I won’t go in further detail.”

“Why not?”

“Because I made a promise to a lady,” Spike said, taking Buffy’s hand and pressing it against his lips.

“Always a flirt,” Buffy laughed. “Dawn seems to think that you picked her because she kinda looks like me.”

“Is that right…?”

“I’m sure if I found a really hot, bleached blond, blue-eyed British hunk of burning…something or other, I’d be all over him,” Buffy said, noticing that Spike’s mood had changed.

“You don’t have to explain anything,” she whispered. “I didn’t bring it up to make you feel guilty or anything like that.”

“Have I mentioned just how bloody pathetic I am?”

“I don’t think you’re pathetic, Spike. I was curious, but I don’t need to know anymore.” Wanting to make him feel better, she hooked her arm through his and kissed the smooth skin under his ear. “Do you think Dawn would mind it if we slipped away? I want to go somewhere.”

“Is there a particular somewhere that you have in mind?”

“Not my house and definitely not yours. Somewhere where we can be alone…”

“How about taking a trip in my car? We could see the sights before having dinner. You could maybe sit in the middle next to me. I good bench seats.”

“That sounds perfect, Spike.”
***