Chapter 3

You know when I told Dawn that I’d be shopping and getting lost, I hoped it would jinx everything and that maybe, just maybe, I could not be traveling down all these roads going absolutely nowhere.

Buffy pulled up to another stop sign and sighed, as she looked both ways.

Let’s see dirt road to the left and looky there, dirt road to the right.

Grumbling, frustrated with herself and her lack of a sense of direction, Buffy offhandedly turned right and sped down the road, leaving clouds of dust behind her.
***

“Maybe you can help me, Miss.” Spike squinted as he scanned the endless rack of toys. “I need to buy something for my nephew’s birthday and I’m looking for something icky.”

“Icky?”

“Slimy or gooey will do as well but I’m really looking for anything that will be bitch to get out of a carpet. I want to make my sister’s life a living hell, you see.”

“Ok.” The store’s employee nodded slowly, not sure how to react to the strange man. “How old is your nephew turning?”

“One.”

“Um, I don’t think icky is the best way to go for a toddler…”
***

“This is fantastic.” Spike smiled, proud of his purchases that he stuffed in the trunk of his car, “All I need is a lifetime supply of batteries and I’ll be set and on the road to making Dawn and the hubby’s life miserable.”

“Talking to yourself, Will? That’s a sign of loneliness.”

“Among other things.” Spike turned at the familiar voice and grinned at the dark haired woman on the sidewalk next to his parked car. “Hey Cordy, hungry?”

“Starving.”

“I’m sure that’s why you’re out here, isn’t? You just want to get a free meal out of me.” Spike opened the passenger door for his friend and walked around to the driver’s seat.

“Exactly, I’ve been planning on you showing up all week because I figured since you’re a man, you would wait until Friday to pick Parker’s gift and since the only toy store in Sunnydale happens to be across from my office…”

“How very conniving of you, pet. What do you have a hankering for? Anything special?”

“How about something not in Sunnydale? Giles took the rest of the day off.”

“Playing hooky when the boss is out of the office? Will your evil deeds ever come to an end?”

“Not if I can help it. You seem to be in a good mood today, Spike. What’s up?”

“Don’t know, I think it’s something in the air. Would you rather I be grouchy?” Spike started the car and began to drive out of town.

“No, this mood is fine but it makes me nervous. How’s Harm?”

“She’s still out of town.”

“Do you miss her?”

“Of course I do, she’s my girlfriend.”

“Have you told your sister yet?”

“No, she’ll be pissed. She hates Harmony…but actually in a moment of insanity I invited Harm to Parker’s birthday party.”

“Joy, shit is going to hit the fan, I’ll bring lots of film.”

“Ha…but I can’t keep my relationship with Harmony in the dark anymore. It’s not fair to Harmony or our budding relationship.”

“Then why didn’t you say anything in the first place? Harmony’s a nice girl to shop with but to be honest; I never thought you’d ever date her. You were always a dick about insisting on the intelligent girls…”

“Hey! Harm’s smart, just in a different way. I needed a change and I really do enjoy being around her.”

“Ok Will, I believe you.”

“Don’t call me that.”

“Where’d your good mood go?”

“Out for lunch.”
***

Now I’m officially homesick. I miss paved roads and streetlights and landmarks.

Buffy glared passing another tree, not sure if she had seen it before.

I could be going in circles; I have no clue.

Maybe if I don’t return in a few days Dawn will call the rescue team.

Only I would get lost in a place so tiny that you could spit across it.

Let’s drive this way, I thought, I won’t get lost, I thought.

Stupid me.

Peering up, she sighed at the dark blue sky.

Now it’s going to rain.

Great.
***

“You should slow down a bit.”

“Queen C, the speed demon is telling me to slow down?”

“Spike, even I try to be careful in the rain and it’s coming down pretty hard.”

“Right.” He turned on his high beams and his windshield wipers to full force.
***

Tensing up and griping the steering wheel, Buffy continued to drive through the storm. “Why does it always rain on me?” She sang weakly and turned off the radio so she could concentrate only on the road.

“Fuck.” She mumbled as another car approached from the opposite direction and blinded her with its lights. “Inconsiderate…” Glaring at the car and contemplating flipping off the driver, Buffy slowed down and prepared for it to pass.

“Oh God.”
***

“Spike you ok? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.” Cordelia turned in her seat and watched as the other car drove by, not seeing the driver.

“Um…I thought I knew the woman that was driving that car, but it was probably the rain messing with my vision.” Spike forced a laugh but still looked confused, with his eyebrows furrowed.

“Spike, who was it?”

“Don’t know. I think I’m due for another eye exam, that’s all…she was—it was nothing.”

Cordelia frowned, not impressed by Spike’s explanations. “Who the hell was it? What woman would make you that shaken, especially if you’re not even positive that you saw her?”

“Nobody.”

“William?”

“Nobody.”
***

Buffy covered her smile with the palm of her hand.

Oh God.

A flash of bleached hair and look what I’ve become.

She giggled and continued to beam.

I’m not even going to ruin it with a lot of what-ifs…

I’m ok with just believing that I saw him.
***

Exhausted but still feeling the afterglow of a glimpse of Spike, Buffy slowly trudged up to her house, letting the rain wet her clothes.

“She said I could call anytime.” Buffy dialed Dawn’s number, “Hey Dawn, it’s me Buffy. Do you think I could borrow your husband? I just bought a TV and I was hoping he could help me set it up, but if he’s busy or because of the rain…ok, that sounds good. I’ll see you guys soon.”
***

“I know I should’ve waited but I didn’t realize how much I missed my television until I started drooling in front of the display.” Buffy laughed and invited Dawn and her family into her house. She had changed into a sweatshirt and dry jeans. “Sorry, I’m such a pain.”

“No problem. Buffy this is Conner.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“Just point me in the direction of your TV. Dawn has got me trained in helping damsels in distress.”

***

“This is fun, like a picnic but indoors.”

“But without a checked blankets, ants or food.” Yawning, Buffy sat on the floor across from Dawn and Parker.

“Long day?”

“Kinda. I shopped a bit, got lost for a few hours and got suck in the storm. My plans for tonight consist of more Ramen and bad TV movies.”

“Tomorrow will be better. If you’re bored you can come by the house earlier and help me set things up. Parker is having a Sesame Street party. I found the entire party set, complete with Cookie Monster paper cups and everything; it’ll be really cute.”

“How many people are coming?”

“Let’s see…” Dawn counted on her fingers. “We all make three and Will is four and he’s bringing Cordy and some mystery friend, so there’ll be six people, maybe seven if Angel shows.”

“Angel?”

“He’s a friend of the family.”

“He?”

“Yup Angel’s manly, but not according to Will.”

“I like hearing about your brother he sounds like fun.”

“He is…most of the time. William and Angel have a weird relationship, they annoy the hell out of each other and most of the time they’re fighting but underneath it all they’re probably best friends.”

“Awww.”

“I know, they’re a couple of brats. So ah, any news on the dream guy?” Dawn bit her lip and tried to look innocent while asking the question. “Have you seen him yet?”

“Well--.”

“Hey, I’ve got the TV hooked up.” Conner interrupted Buffy and pointed at the set. “If you have a VCR I’ll plug that in too.”

“Oh, that’d be great!” Jumping to her feet, Buffy ran off to find where she had left the VCR. “I’ll be back.”
***

“Dawnie.”

“What? It was just a question, Conner.”

“You said you’d back off until tomorrow and let them meet on their own.”

“Yeah, yeah, ruin all my fun, why don’t ya?”
***