Chapter 5

Spike took a slow drag from his cigarette and he jumped, startled when the screen to the front door slammed closed. “Buffy?” Without thinking, he ran after the blur of blonde hair and cherry-patterned fabric. “What’s the hurry? Leaving so soon?” He caught up to her before she could reach the end of the driveway. “Buffy?”

She stopped, taking a deep breath once he touched her bare arm. “I need to go.”

“But you haven’t had cake or ice cream, that’s the most important part of the birthday celebration, pet.” Spike frowned, seeing that Buffy was avoiding his eyes. “Is something wrong? Nothing happened, did it?”

“No, no, not all,” Buffy said. “I just—it’s getting late.”

“Oh, ok, I’ll walk you home then.”

“I think I can handle walking across the street, Spike. I’ll look both ways.”

“But who will be there to hold your hand?”

“Uh…” Buffy didn’t know how to respond so she started to walk.

“So…” Spike spoke, walking along side Buffy. “Any big plans of remolding the house?”

“Yeah, mainly just painting and doing some work in the kitchen and bathrooms. I like most of the house as it is.”

He nodded, “If you ever need help, I’m just a short walk away or you can scream out the front door like Dawn does so eloquently.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, thank you.” Buffy’s heart skipped a beat once Spike gave her a boyish grin. “But don’t you think you’ll have your hands full with Harmony?”

“What do you mean?” Spike eyed Buffy suspiciously, not sure that she was talking about.

“With Harmony moving in.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Harmony. She told me that you’re letting her move in.”

“With me?” Buffy nodded and Spike’s eyes widened in shock. “Into my house?”

“That’s what I gathered. You ok?” Buffy quickly unlocked the front door to her house once they had reached the porch. She turned and fought the need to giggle, seeing that Spike still looked surprised. “Spike?”

“Sorry, I’m just trying to think where I’m going to house her unicorn collection. She’s got millions of pastel colored ponies…all different sizes, colors, species…”

“Species? I thought all unicorns belonged to the same family.”

“That’s what I thought until I had the grueling tour…She’s named all of them… Dew Drop, Periwinkle, Rose Blossom…” He smiled, hearing Buffy giggle, “She’s moving in? I guess Harm and I are going to have a chat later.”

“I hope I didn’t start anything, I didn’t mean to,” Buffy said. “I assumed you knew.”

“Oh, don’t worry, I have a feeling that Harm thinks that I know too.” Spike chuckled. “She says I don’t listen or something like that, I can’t remember.”

“Cute. Do you always make fun of your girlfriend, Spikey? Does Harmony know that her blondie bear giggles at her expense?”

“Ah…I’m not—I just…”

“Hey,” Buffy laughed, “I’m teasing.” She playfully pushed on his arm. “Well, I hope you and Harmony straighten things up. I should get inside. I guess I’ll be seeing you around?”

“Yeah. Yes, of course.” Spike smiled, he seemed to be a daze.

“Ok, goodnight and thank you for walking me home.”

“It was my pleasure, Buffy.”
***

Buffy pulled the blanket higher to her neck and she tried to concentrate on the movie she was watching.

It’s not every day that the TV gods bless me with quality programming…

She sighed and turned up the volume, hopelessly forcing herself to watch the handsome actor on the television screen.

“Be strong, Buffy,” she said to the empty house. “Don’t stalk him, be strong.”

Buffy bit her lip, her mind wondered.

I could go outside and peek through the slats of the fence to see if he’s home yet. But if he’s with Harmony—ew. Or I could even go upstairs; my bedroom even has a nice view into his house. I can’t believe he’s been so close to me, right under my nose and I never even noticed. Hell, I’ve been talking to his sister and brother-in-law; I was practically becoming a member of the family.

“Grrr!” Buffy stood up in her brightly colored pajamas and she shuffled to the door. “I didn’t remember to get the mail today. Oh darn.”

Buffy opened the door, satisfied with her excuse to take her chances of getting a glimpse of her handsome neighbor.
***

“Maybe if you weren’t so quick to find a substitute for the girl, you’d be in there man, instead of out here feeling like shit. If she really moved to Sunnyhell for you…if she really wants you that bad, you won’t even have to beg for a shag like you usually do. You’ll just have to dump Harmony.”

“Ha, bloody, ha. You’re hilarious, Angel, especially when you imitate my accent. It’s priceless, really.”

Buffy walked quietly to the mailbox, overhearing Spike and the other man talking. Suddenly she hoped that she could run into the house without being seen in her cartoon-covered sleepwear.

What’s wrong with me? Seconds ago I had no problem with the possibility of him seeing my pjs and now I’m considering hiding in the bushes.

“Buffy?”

Crap.

“Oh, hi,” Buffy turned and she gave Spike a wave. “The party’s still going on I take it.”
“Yeah.” Spike looked Buffy up and down and even with a good amount of distance between them, Buffy could see him grin in the darkness.

“Oh, well, hope everyone’s having fun, I’m just going to--.”

“Wait, Spike, introduce me. You’re new to Sunnydale, aren’t you? Why don’t you come over and we can be introduced properly?”

“Angel, man.” Spike looked at his friend and he mumbled a few words that Buffy couldn’t make out.

“Um, I’m Buffy and since I’m kinda wearing my sleepy time ensemble I think I’ll just wave for now. If I walk over there, I’ll get my slippers dirty.”

Angel laughed and Spike looked uncomfortable.

“No problem, I understand. Nice to meet you, I’m Angel.” He covered his hand over his eyes as if to the block the sun, “I won’t make you dirty your slippers as long as you answer one question for me Buffy.”

“Ok,” Buffy said with a little smile, not sure how to react to the man.

“What’s on your pajamas?”

“Pink elephants and flowers. The slippers match too.” She held up her foot to model the slippers for the boys.

“They are very flattering on you, your pajamas.” Angel smiled, “Aren’t they, Will?”

Spike nodded, saying nothing.
***

“Spikey! There you are! Where have you been? I’ve been looking every where for you!” Harmony waddled over to him in her high heels. “I missed you,” she squealed before giving him a big hug.

“I’ve just been out front, Barbie, talking with Angel.”

“Oh,” she said while playing with the collar of Spike’s shirt. “Can we you home now? I’m getting bored.”

“Bored?”

“Yeah and I can think of better things we could be doing at home.” She winked, tapping his zipper with one of her manicured fingernails.

“Harm.” He batted her hand away from his jeans. “Not while my family’s here.”

“Then lets go home,” Harmony whined. “Please?”

Spike’s eye twitched at her continuous use of the word ‘home.’ “Alright, let’s say goodbye and we’ll go to my place.” He searched Harmony’s face to see if she caught his stress on ‘my place.’

“Ok! Oh, I’m so excited! I can’t wait!”
***

“You’re amazing.” Harmony cuddled into Spike’s body. “You make me so happy and it’s not even just the sex, I love being around you. You make me feel smart and pretty.” She pulled down the sheet so she could draw imaginary hearts on his chest. “Do you love me, Spike?”

“I care about you,” Spike said truthfully. He reached to run his fingers through her soft blonde hair. “I think you are smart and very, very pretty.”

Harmony smiled and she sighed loudly, “Spike, can I move in with you?”

“What about your apartment and your job,” he asked softly. “You said you’d never move backwards…you wouldn’t be caught dead in Sunnydale…”

“Do you not want me to move in?” Harmony stuck out her lower lip and Spike stared at it in amazement, even after hours of rolling around in bed, her lips still sparkled of perfectly applied, fruit flavored lip-gloss. “Do you not want--.”

Spike cut her off, covering her body with his and pushing her into the mattress. He kissed her deeply and then he said, “Move in with me.”
***

“Do you love her?”

“I don’t know but I’m getting tired of being asked that question.”

“You’re not sticking to the plan, Will. You were just supposed to use her, fulfill a few fantasies and then throw her back.”

“Angel, Harmony isn’t a bloody fish, you poof,” Spike snapped at his friend as they drove through the streets of Sunnydale.

“Ok, Harmony’s not a fish,” Angel admitted with a smile. “So, then what’s Buffy? If she’s not a keeper?”

“I’m not answering that. Besides, we barely know each other.”

“Alright, then tell me this: How’d Harmony worm her way into your house?”

“She didn’t worm--.”

“Was it before or after the sex?”

“After,” Spike glared.

“Did she suck you off?”

“You bastard, I’m not telling you a--.”

“Hey, hey, cool it,” Angel chucked as he turned the steering wheel. “Why’d you ask her?”

“Because. I know I don’t love her—I know that much…but I like her. She makes me feel wonderful, mate, she worships the ground I walk on. She’s like a perky little puppy, always around to nip at my heels and try her damnest to please me. I find myself practicing the ‘break up’ speech at least once a week but then she’ll do something: she’ll try to make me dinner or she’ll clean the house…it’ll be a disaster but in the end, I never give her the speech. I can never bring myself to hurt her like that.”

“Does this mean I can ask Buffy out? If you want nothing to do with her, can I try her out?”

“Try her out?” Spike’s glare returned in an instant.

“You can’t claim them both, you know.”

“I have no claim on Buffy.”

“I’m going to ask Buffy out on a picnic: a romantic outing under the stars, and I’ll fill her with stories that make me seem emotional and sweet and it’ll be my goal to be in her pants by sunrise--.”

“Then it’ll be my goal to hunt you down and rip your sodding head off,” Spike growled.

“My, aren’t you the protective one? No claim, my ass!” Angel burst into laughter. “Thanks for proving me right, I appreciate it.”

“I hate you.”

“You just know that I’m right.”

“She’s a nice lady, she doesn’t deserve to have a prick like you slobbering over her.”

“I agree, that’s why I plan on asking her to dinner and a movie instead. I plan on being on my best behavior, a gentlemen and all that shit.”

“Bollocks.”

“Awww, you’re jealous, Will. I’m going to date your dream girl and you can’t.”

“Well, we’ll just have to see if Buffy’ll agree to be seen in public with you, now won’t we? You’d better not get your hopes too high, mate, I have a feeling that Buffy’ll have no problem crushing you hopes like a little, nasty bug.”
***