Chapter 6

“I don’t know what to say.” Dawn sat across from Buffy, starting a conversation instantly.

“Hey, good morning to you too. Is this a bad time to say I want the waffles?”

“Waffles!” Dawn screamed towards the kitchen. “Anything special you want in them? Blueberries, strawberries, chocolate chips?”

“Chocolate please.” Buffy grimaced as Dawn yelled again to complete her order.

“He’s insane.” Dawn said, lowering her voice. “I had no idea about Harmony. I’m so sorry.”

“Oh, don’t be. I shouldn’t have been so naïve.”

“No, he shouldn’t have been so stupid.”

“Looks like I’m tearing up the family. Nice.” Buffy laughed softly, “I hate when I have that affect on people.”

“Buffy,” Dawn sighed, “My brother… Will, he doesn’t know what he’s doing or who he’s with. Harmony’s not his type at all.”

“And what do you think is his type?”

“Yo--.”

“Just stop right there, Dawn. Don’t just say me, really think about it. Think back to who he’s dated in the past.”

“Ok.” Dawn sat in silence until Buffy’s breakfast arrived.

“Thank you.” Buffy give the waiter a smile and she unwrapped her silverware. She was laying her napkin in her lap when Dawn began talking again.

“He hasn’t dated a lot. He gets too antsy with the dating scene, you know? He usually finds a girl and he’s with her forever or until she breaks his heart. He likes unique girls, they’re never ordinary.” Dawn smirked, “In fact, I’ve thought that all of his girlfriends were very strange.”

“And Harmony isn’t a little on the wacky side?”

“You’re really ok with Will being with Harmony? You don’t feel like you’ve been slapped in the face or that she’s stolen your dream man?”

“Oh, Dawn, no one’s taking away my dream man. He’s mine.”

“Maybe I was wrong before, maybe you’re the insane one?” Dawn asked, concern in her eyes. “What about all that lovey dovey stuff you were spouting before?”

“What can I do? He’s taken.” Buffy frowned for the first time that morning. “To me, if he were to dump Harmony automatically after seeing me…or any other girl for that matter, I’d think he was the biggest dick ever.”

“Dick, eh? You must be talking about me. Good morning, Dawn. Buffy.”

“Good morning.” Buffy greeted Spike but Dawn remained silent. “And I wasn’t calling you a dick--.”

“I was,” Dawn said sternly. “And if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to help some of my customers. I’ll talk to you later, Buffy.”

“Ah, bye.” Buffy watched as Dawn stomped off. “Guess you’re in the doghouse?”

“She hasn’t spoken to me since Harmony moved into my place. I tried to visit Parker the other day and I was pretty sure she had the locks changed,” Spike chuckled but Buffy could detect a bit of pain in his eyes.

“Sit, Spike. Have you eaten? I could use some company,” Buffy offered with a smile.

“I don’t know if I should trust the food here,” Spike said, taking a seat across from her. “Dawn’ll have them spitting in my scrambled eggs.”

“Like waffles? She had them made for me, so they should be safe. I’m stuffed.” Buffy pushed her plate across the table. “Help yourself, if you’re hungry and not afraid of my cooties. I hate to waste the rest of it.”

“You’re too kind, pet.” Spike smiled at her warmly. He used a clean fork and started eating on the half that Buffy had left untouched. “Mmmm, I love these with the chocolate chips. I was the one that made Dawn put it on the menu. Who wants fruit and healthy stuff for breakfast?”

“Not me.”

“That’s right, weren’t you having an ice cream drink or something like that when we meet that morning?”

“Yup, but you caught indulging in some comfort food.”

“Indulging, eh? I remember four distinct swallows and then you tossing everything away after I pissed you off.”

Buffy felt her excitement grow, “Someone really paid a lot of attention, huh?”

“I—I didn’t—I…” Spike stumbled, a faint blush coloring his cheeks.

“What was I wearing?”

“All pink. A ruffley skirt and a pink top,” he answered quickly, avoiding Buffy’s eyes.

“You called me Pinky…Memories,” Buffy sighed, her heart racing. “So, how’s Harmony?” Buffy struggled with saying her name but she needed to remind herself that Harmony still existed.

“She’s…she’s good. I’m still getting used to sharing my space. I’ve never lived with someone before.”

“It’ll take awhile. When I lived with Riley…it was good.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. Sure thinking about him makes me queasy now but before it was kinda nice. It was like a never-ending slumber party.”

“But it did. End?”

“Oh yeah and quickly too.”

“But you stayed with him for three years?”

“Wow, I could pop quiz you on everything related to that day and you’d pass with flying colors.” Buffy watched as Spike looked away again. “You’re right, I was with him for a long time and not all of it was good.”

“May I ask why you stayed with him? He sounds like a bastard. Living with him must’ve been hell.”

“Puppy love, I guess. He was my first real boyfriend. I hear that it’s common to have problems letting go of your first.” Buffy paused and they sat in silence. “If you want advice on how to break up with Harmony, I’m not the girl to ask. Go to your sister, she’ll help and it’ll make her day.”

“I—ah…”

“I’m teasing, Spike.” Buffy rested her chin on her hands. “You’re just asking some weird questions for a guy who’s smitten and in love with his girlfriend.”

“I’m sorry if I was being out of line.”

“I didn’t say you were. I was probably the out of line one. I should be apologizing to you. I had no right to insinuate that you’re unhappy with Harmony. You must be hearing it a lot lately.”

“Tell me about it. It seems that everyone is interested in my love life.”

“You may want to make that our love life,” Buffy suggested softly. “People, I won’t name any names, seem to think you and I should be together, but that’s absurd right? You’ve got Harmony and I’ve got some mystery guy out there waiting for me.” She forced a laugh.

Spike laughed with her, an uncomfortable look on his face. “That’s totally absurd.”

“Totally,” Buffy repeated, trying not to look disappointed. “Well, it’s been nice talking with you, Spike but I’ve got to run.”

“Of course, don’t let me keep you.” Spike wiped off his mouth with his napkin and he stood as Buffy got out of her chair. “Thank you for the meal, Buffy.”

“Anytime.”

“And the conversation. I enjoyed that as well.”

“Me too.”

“I look forward to running into you again.”

“Me too. Well. I gotta…” Buffy pointed to the door.

“Right.”

“Bye,” Buffy waved, running for the exit.
***

“Harm! Home!” Spike tossed his keys on the table and he took off his leather jacket.

“You didn’t do it right.” Harmony appeared in the hallway, pouting. “You’re supposed to say: Honey, I’m home. We agreed that that would be really cute.”

“Sorry, kitten. Forgot.” He kissed her softly on the forehead as she hugged him. “Next time I’ll make a point to do it right.”

“You’re late, Spikey. I thought you were only going to be gone for a few minutes. How long does it take to return some movies?”

“Stopped off to see Dawn.”

“Oh! Is Dawnie talking to us again?”

“No, sorry, pet.”

“I didn’t think she’d turn into such a major bitch after she found out that we were dating. I was looking forward to spending time with her.” Harmony put her nose into Spike’s chest and she inhaled deeply. “Damn, you always smell good, baby.”

“Thank--” Spike started to speak but Harmony stopped him, pulling his head down for a kiss.

“Angel called,” Harmony announced after pulling her mouth away. “He wants to double tonight.”

“Double,” Spike asked, his head fuzzy from their kiss.

“Dinner and a movie. He’s bringing Buffy.”

“He’s wh--.” Harmony broke him off again with another kiss. “Bloody hell, Harm, let me finish a sentence.”

“You’re mad at me.”

“No,” Spike sighed. “I just saw Buffy and she didn’t mention anything about a date.”

“Did you ask her?”

“Well, no. I had no idea the sodding date was happening.”

“You lied, you’re mad,” Harmony frowned. “What did I do?”

“You didn’t do anything, Barbie, I swear it. I’m not mad at you.” Spike smiled, his frustration mounting. “If I’m mad at anyone, its Peaches.”

“Peaches,” Harmony giggled and wrinkled her nose. “I haven’t heard you call him Peaches since high school.”

“What can I say, pet? Old habits die hard.” He walked away from Harmony and towards the bedroom, muttering under his breath. “I’m going to kill him.”
***

“I can’t believe you’re going through with this, you ass!” Angel made a face, pulling his ear away from the cell phone. “Buffy, can you excuse me for a minute? I need to take care of this.”

“Sure.” Buffy watched as Angel turned his back and talked to the screaming voice on the other line.

Somebody’s not happy, Buffy thought.

She had been walking back from the diner when Angel jogged by. He stopped and they had an entertaining conversation. Buffy enjoyed herself, mentally tallying and keeping a count of every time he flirted and fed her a new line.

This guy is too much; Buffy found herself thinking the same phrase over and over.

“Hey, hey, it’s not what you think, man…Stop calling me Peaches you bastard!”

Sounds like the other guy is winning. Peaches? Buffy giggled out loud and it caused Angel to look over his shoulder and grin at her.

“Don’t you dare come out here. I mean it!” Angel growled before abruptly turning off his cell phone. “Sorry ‘bout that, Buffy. My friend…he’s unstable.”

“Peaches?”

“Long story,” Angel chuckled. “A long story that I’d love to tell you over dinner tonight.” Angel stared at her, his eyes dazzling. “I’d love to get to know you better, Buffy. I’m meeting some friends for a movie and we could ditch them afterwards and get something to eat, what do you think?”

“Will unstable friend be there?”

“No…no, we keep him locked up.”

Buffy smiled, “You seem like a nice guy but--.”

“Wait. Wait.” Angel motioned her to stop. “Before you say anything, let me explain further. Sit.”

“On the curb?”

“Sure, unless you want to go back to my place…”

“No, I like the curb.” Buffy sat and she looked up, waiting for Angel to join her.

“Hell, you’re really not head over heels for my charm yet, are you?”

“Should I be?” Buffy looked at Angel in shock, not sure what he was up to.

“I was trying hard you know.” Angel smiled, color reaching his cheeks but he pretended not to notice his blush. “I want to help you get Spike.”

“Huh?”

“You and Spike are like soulmates and you guys should be together. I want to help you out.”

“By doing what? What do you know about me and Spike?”

“Well, to answer your first question: I want to make Spike jealous. We’ll date and pretend to be together. It’ll drive him crazy and straight into your arms. You want that, don’t you?”

“I…”

“And to answer your second question: I knew firsthand from Will. He told me all about your meeting. He rambled around for weeks about meeting the girl of his dreams.” Angel rolled his eyes but the smile never left his face.

“Oh God.”
“I know.”

“But what’ll you get out of it? If I agree, of course.”

“Peace of mind. I set him up with Harmony. I never thought he’d stay with her, I thought I’d be a one-nighter, but Will’s not the type. And, you were at the Parker’s party right?”

“Yeah.”

“Did you see that gorgeous girl with the dark hair and big eyes?

“Eh…” Buffy thought back, “Cordelia?”

“I think our plan could hit birds with one stone. Cordy and I used to date and I want her back.”

“You can’t just ask her out? Tell her how you feel?”

“My girl’s not that easy. She’s a puzzle…so is it a date?”

“I…I don’t know. It’s a lot to take in. And I don’t want to intentionally break him and Harmony up.”

“Why not?” Angel moved back when Buffy glared. “Got ya. Morals. Ok, just think about it. Even if you don’t want to go through with my scheme, I’d love to see you with us tonight.” He leaned over and whispered in her ear, “Just think of what you could be letting slip through your fingers, Buffy. Spike’s an idiot, sometimes he needs to be pushed into the right direction. I know if we work together, you’ll have him in no time.”
***