Chapter 9

Buffy’s body froze and she became overly aware of everything surrounding her. One hand was against the side of her waist and the other lightly caressed her face. As Spike pressed slow, closed-mouth kisses to her parted lips, Buffy struggled not to respond, ignoring the burning desire to taste his skin.

Spike whispered her name among other incomprehensible words. With his eyes barely open, he kissed her cheeks, forehead, and neck before returning to her mouth, trying his best to coax her into kissing him back. Buffy let out a little moan once Spike’s fingers worked on freeing her hair from its ponytail. He then took advantage of her gaping mouth, slipping his tongue between her soft lips.

Once the kisses deepened, Buffy found them impossible to resist. Groaning, she wrapped her arms around his neck and allowed their tongues to mingle. He held her closer than Buffy thought possible and their passionate lip locks continued until they ripped apart, both desperate for air to fill their lungs.

“Oh,” Buffy panted, “you shouldn’t have done that.”

“Had to,” he mumbled, resting his forehead against hers as he caught his breath. “You’re bloody amazing.”

“You have a girlfriend.”

Spike pulled back and looked Buffy in the eye, “Not for much longer, if I can help it.”

“You...are you serious?” Buffy’s heart skipped a beat when he nodded. “Oh, wow. You’re sure? Completely positive?”

“I want to be with you, Buffy,” he said with a grin. “On my honor, cross my heart—I swear on my dear mother’s grave. Shall we shake on it?”

“Don’t tease me.”

“I want you, pet.”

Buffy narrowed her eyes, “Define just how you want me.”

“Ah, is this a trick? Would you like to give me some limitations, a rating, perhaps? Because I’m ashamed to say that my wanting falls out of all the PG-type categories--. ”

“You know what I mean, smart guy. I need to know if you want me for a real relationship or just a fling. Do you really care about me or do you feel guilty because I told you about Riley and about my pathetic crush on you?”

“Guilty—are you insane? What makes you think…” he trailed off, shaking his head in disgust. “If you’re pathetic, I’m pathetic. I fell in love with you the first moment that I saw you and I continue to fall each time I am around you. You’re the one, Buffy. I do not pity you or want to use you in any bloody fling, I want to--.”

“You love me?”

“Don’t interrupt. I’m telling you off, woman. Guilty--.”

“Oh, Spike.” She wrapped her arms around his neck and covered his face with kisses.

“What?” he asked, his anger melting with each brush from her lips. “Did I miss something?”

“You love me.”

“Ah, yes I do.”

Buffy sighed, kissing him deeply. “More than Harmony?”

“I don’t love her.”

“Then why are you with her?”

“I’ve been trying to break it off since Parker’s birthday.”

“You let her move in the next day.”

“She can be...very persuasive. She knows how to use her...assets to her favor and--.”

“Ah huh,” Buffy said, scooting off his lap. “I totally do not want to hear anymore.”

“Hey, where’re you going?”

“I don’t want to be tempted to—I’m not going to let you cheat on Harmony. If you want me as much as you say, you need to let Harm go.”

“Buffy--.”

“I mean it, Spike. Things have changed between us--.”

“And for the better.”

“If you go back to her—after everything that we’ve shared tonight—you’ll break my heart.”

“That’s the last thing that I want to do.”

When he reached for her, Buffy stood, moving out of his grasp. “Let me walk you to the door.” In the short stroll, Spike grabbed a hold of her hand and neither of them said a word. With their fingers still entwined, Buffy opened the heavy door, letting a wave of cool air burst through the screen.

“Think I can call you tomorrow?”

“Maybe.”

Spike grinned, pressing his cheek to the side of her face. “You don’t have to worry about a thing,” he whispered. “I choose you...I love you, Buffy.”

“Harmony’s not going to be my best friend after I steal her blondie bear.”

“I hope to never hear that nickname ever again,” he grumbled. “It’s emasculating and--.”

“Just plain adorable?” she teased. “I think it suits you, Spikey.”

“I am calling you tomorrow,” Spike announced, kissing her forehead. “Whether you like it or not.”

“Well…if you insist. Goodnight, Spike.”

“Goodnight to you too,” he said warmly before heading out into the night.
***

“Do you have any idea what time it is?”

“I need a place to stay, Dawnie.”

“Why? Harmony toss you out?”

“No.”

“Will, what’s going on? I’m too tired to--.”

“Let me in and you can pry it all out of me, I swear.”

“Alright, fine. You can sleep on the couch.”
***

Content with just a blanket and pillow, Spike took off his shirt and stretched out comfortably on the sofa.

“Why are you here?” Dawn asked from the chair she was sitting in.

“Maybe I just wanted to see my sweet little sis.”

“If that’s the case I should smack you for getting me up so early.”

“Oh, it’s only a few hours before Big Bird’s on.”

“When Parker gets up, I’m sending him to you.”

“Good. I’ve missed the kid.”

“Spike--.”

“I’m breaking it off with her.”

“With Harmony?”

“Who else, bit?”

“Oh God, I’m so happy for you! What’d she do? When are you kicking her out of your house? It’s about time!”

“Nice to see that someone’s excited,” he mumbled, nuzzling the pillow with his face. “It’s going to be hell dumping her. She’s going to hate my reasons...”

“Which are?”

“Well, I guess it all boils down to Buffy--.”

“Buffy? Oh, Spike! I knew you weren’t that stupid!”

“Is that right?”

“I bet Buffy’s just beside herself! Did she tell you about—what did she tell you? I mean, you talked to her, right?”

“She told me everything. I know about her bastard of an ex, I know how she feels about me—she laid her heart out for me, Dawnie.”

“She loves you.”

“And I love her.”

“This is great, Spike! When is the dumping going to happen?”

“Probably tomorrow.”

“Think Buffy’s awake? I want to call her--.”

“Don’t. She needs her sleep, pet. Neither of us has slept tonight and she had a tad too much to drink…call her in the morning—in the late morning.”

“What do you mean—God, what did I miss?”

“A lot.” Spike yawned, pulling the blanket around his neck and closing his eyes. “I’m sure Buffy will catch you up when you give her a ring.”
***

Lying in bed but too wired to sleep, Buffy replayed the entire evening over in her mind, from their intense looks to the equally intense kisses that they shared. With a wide smile on her face, she attempted to fall asleep, but remained restless.

“He loves me,” she whispered, needing to hear the words out loud. “He wants me. He’s going to be with me.”

Sitting up in bed, she reached for the telephone. She listened to the phone ring until a groggy voice came on the line.

“H-hello?”

“Xander, you won’t believe what happened tonight!”
***