Dawn gazed at her reflection in the full-length mirror admiring the contrast of her dark features against the white satin. Eight years ago, standing atop that tower, she never thought she’d ever see this day. So much had happened in the last few years making their encounter with Glory look like nothing more than a bad dream.

Willow and Tara were still together even after Willow’s brief affair with Oz who had visited Sunnydale for a few months about the time Dawn had started at the university. She had been afraid it was going to be the end of their relationship. The usually timid Tara had been understandably furious when she had found out, but after a few months separation, the couple had reunited. They had bought a small house on the outskirts of Sunnydale. Willow was now teaching classes at the university mainly in ancient history and mythology, while Tara had become a social worker helping strangers like she had helped Dawn when her mother had died. At home, they had both continued their study of magic, Willow becoming so strong in the craft she even amazed Giles.

Xander and Anya had married almost a year to the day after Glory’s defeat. The wedding had been a small affair, but Anya had done her part as a good American and spared no expense on her dress and the decorations. Surprisingly, after his stint as the local ice cream man, Xander had done extremely well for himself, progressing through the ranks at the construction site until he found himself in an office in charge of purchasing. Anya had continued to work with Giles at the Magick Shop enjoying the world of retail too much to ever leave. They had a daughter during Dawn’s sophomore year, naming her Joyce in honor of Dawn’s mother. At three, Joyce had learned to talk; her sentences clipped and precise like her mother’s. They all hoped this would change when she started school and was around other kids her age.

After their battle with Glory, Dawn and Buffy had returned home. Buffy had returned to college to complete her degree, but had yet to really make any use of it. Instead she continued with her slaying duties. The allowance Buffy had grudgingly agreed to accept from the Watchers Council more than supporting both the girls. Even with an older sister who was the Slayer, Dawn had managed to have a reasonable normal life afterwards, eventually going to college, and while there meeting Andrew, the man she was about to marry.

She couldn’t help, but feel guilty for leaving Buffy. While their friends had gone on to be more than reasonably successful, Buffy had stayed at home to continue her role as Slayer and to take care of her younger sister. She claimed to be happy, but deep down; Dawn knew there was something missing.

Spike had left Sunnydale a few months after the final battle with Glory. He had stuck around in hopes that now that the chaos was over, there might be a chance that Buffy would accept him. The Scoobies had accepted him as a member of the group, and even Buffy was friendlier with him, but that was all there was—friendship—and Spike wanted so much more than that. Finally, the frustration of waiting had gotten too much, and Spike had left town. Buffy had claimed not to care, but Dawn knew differently. Her sister had spent a week after Spike had left moping about the house, even refusing to bother with going out on patrol, but when asked what was wrong, she had insisted there wasn’t a thing the matter. Dawn had received letters almost every week updating her on Spike’s whereabouts. Letters from all over the world, and when they arrived, Dawn would find them laying on the kitchen table and her older sister locked in her room, supposedly reading a book or otherwise occupied for the evening until she left to patrol the dark streets of Sunnydale.

“Are you ready, Niblet?” Buffy asked as she entered the dressing room carrying Dawn’s bouquet. Dawn smiled at her use of Spike’s nickname for her. She had begun to use it a few months after Spike’s departure apparently not even aware that she had adopted its use. “Giles is starting to get impatient. You’d think he was getting married rather than just giving you away!”

Dawn smiled at her sister. It was nice to know that she wasn’t the only one who had a stomach full of butterflies. She had asked Giles to give her away in the absence of her father. They had tried to reach him, but like with their mother’s funeral they had yet to have any luck finding anything on his whereabouts.

Dawn was nearly ready. She was sure their guests where becoming rather impatient for the wedding to begin, but there was one more thing she had to do. She had something she had to tell Buffy, and she had to know before she walked down the aisle as Dawn’s Maid of Honor. She should have told her weeks before, but she was almost afraid if she had, Buffy might have refused to come! Now, she had run out of time. She had to tell her.

“Buffy,” she said nervously, “I invited Spike to the wedding.”

“You what?” Buffy asked shocked.

“I couldn’t get married without Spike here,” Dawn explained. “I invited him, and he said he would come. Please, don’t be mad. I know you don’t want to see him…”

“No, Dawn, I’m not mad,” Buffy interrupted helping Dawn to attach her veil to her long, chestnut tresses. “It’s your wedding, and I wouldn’t have expected you not to invite him. I’m sure he doesn’t even think of me any more.”

“But that’s not true, Buffy…”

“The music’s starting,” Giles head popped around the edge of the door before Dawn was able to tell her sister that Spike had far from forgotten her. In fact he had asked about her in every letter. Dawn took a deep breath and took Giles’ offered arm. It was going to be the happiest day of her life, but it was also going to be the longest.