Chapter 12

“Perhaps you’d like to keep this.”

Hank Summers glared at the Ziploc bag that Willow dropped on his desk. “What the hell is that?”

“That could be the last trace of your daughter, boss,” Faith added before sitting and propping her heels up on Hank’s desk.

“You’re kidding. That is Buffy’s blood?”

“Yup. We got the letter analyzed: her blood and her handwriting.” Willow explained, excited. “He even made her write in her own blood. Damn that’s so--”

“What does it say?”

“What? The letter? He’s demanding a clean switch. He takes the money and he gives her back, all in one.”

Hank remained silent for a few minutes and stared from Faith to Willow. “You’ve both got some nerve. You promised results and you come back with this!” He tossed the letter in its plastic bag on the floor. He fumed and pulled a suitcase from beneath his desk. “I want her back and I want him dead. I want this back.” He hugged the bag of his money and hissed when Willow reached to grab it. “I don’t know why you didn’t kill him before but if he gets away this next time, we’re done.”

“Wait a minute Hankie.” Faith stood up and shook her finger at the man. “That’s not how this is going to work. You stick with us and we’ll stick with you. If you back out of our deal, there’ll be hell to pay.” She grinned wickedly and picked up a gold letter opener off of Hank’s desk. She twirled it in her hand and gave Hank the impression that she wouldn’t have a problem using it as a deadly weapon. “We’ll get your man.”

“You’d better and bring back my money.” Hank growled and tossed the suitcase into Willow’s arms.
***

Buffy hadn’t slept well all night. She faded in and out of a light sleep, afraid for the morning to come too quickly. Tossing and turning from looking at the red glowing clock to looking William’s sleeping face, Buffy silently worried about the day’s approaching events. Just thinking about her and William being separated left Buffy with a funny feeling in her stomach. In the past several days they had become inseparable, Buffy found security, comfort and equality in William’s presence. Buffy even allowed herself to fantasize in the early mornings in William’s arms about an end never coming to their rural bliss. She liked not having a car and not being bothered by a television set. She liked being away from traffic and being away from other people. More importantly, Buffy liked at William had become her constant form of entertainment, whether it was helping him write his novel, walking with him in the night, or kissing him breathless at various times throughout the day, William was someone Buffy truly enjoyed being around.

I’ll miss him.

Buffy swallowed and willed away the bitter taste in her mouth. She moved closer and filled the gap she had been keeping between her and William as he slept.

This could be the last time I’ll have him for months.

Fuck, I’ll miss him a lot.

Buffy rested her head on William’s chest and listened to his heartbeat as he dreamed.
***

William was certain he was having a heart attack. He had never felt his heart beat as fast as it did once William knew that Buffy’s arrow was coming at him, ready to use him as a human pincushion.

He could see everything this time: Buffy’s too-red lipstick, the host’s too-wide grin. He could see the arrow’s point as it twirled at high speed.

She’s going to kill me.

“No, I’m going to save you.” Buffy answered his thoughts in a clear voice that rang in his head. “My love will save you.”

“You’re lov--?”

William’s scream was deep and throaty as her arrow struck his heart. He looked down and saw the glowing hole she had left in him.
***

“Wake up.” Buffy’s hand ran along his torso and stopped to rest causally between his legs. “We have to be there in five hours and we have a lot to do.” She brushed his inner thighs lightly, knowing it was something he enjoyed. “I want to make the most of the time we have left. You had that dream again, didn’t you?”

“Mmmm, yes.” William stretched and slowly woke up. He unconsciously pushed his hips towards her hand, willing her to touch him more. “I was able to see it this time, the hole you left in my heart. It was beautiful, it glowed golden and it had all these sparkles and glittery highlights.” He caught her chin with his finger and tilted her head up for a kiss. “Good morning, Buffy.”

Buffy closed her eyes, feeling a rush of emotion. He rarely called her by her given name and when he did, it made her swoon against her will. Her fingertips danced on his cock in a lazy rhythm while she surrendered to his mouth.

“You’re trying to take my mind off today, aren’t you, pet?”

“Is it working?”

“I’m still terrified but I appreciate the gesture; what you’re doing down there feels very nice.”

“See what practice can do? Besides it’s my pleasure.” She looked up at him, letting her hand work blindly; she didn’t need to look under the covers to know the effect she was having on him. Over the past few days she had also made an effort to explore him head to toe.

He was mine then, but after today, who knows? God, I was so spoiled.

Knowing that she could touch him or talk to him or tease him at any time had made Buffy glow with something she couldn’t put a finger. She couldn’t classify it. As Buffy’s thumb brushed against the head of his cock, a sharp feeling of loss charged through her body.

“William, this week…I’ll always remember this week.” Straddling his hips, she led his twitching hardness into her wetness. At the contact, they both gasped and fell into a desperate kiss.

“Buffy.” He panted beneath her with his hands on her hips, not knowing if he should move yet.

“Wait, more,” She paused briefly and couldn’t resist nibbling on his lower lip, “More kissing.”

William sat up so he could reach her better and Buffy wrapped her legs around his waist and her arms around her neck. Then she rocked against him while clenching and releasing her vaginal muscles, their embrace proving the closeness she desired.

I’ll miss him so, so very much.
***

“I want to stay like this for hours.”

William nodded and held her closer as they both panted, still in a post-orgasmic bliss. He was still buried deep inside her and William knew he wasn’t ready to feel disconnected from her either.

That was close, too close.

William closed his eyes and replayed the moment where he’d almost confessed his love for Buffy.

She must be feeling something, right? That didn’t seem to be just about sex. She wanted closeness and intimate connections…of course all physical but there had to be something other than lust fueling her behavior.

He opened his eyes and ran his hand over her hair and she moaned lightly in response.

There has to be something…I feel something. I think we have something. Something I don’t want to give up. How bloody unfair is that? I find the girl of my dreams and then she’s ripped away from me. Shit, speaking of that, maybe she’s just caught in the goodbye. Maybe she doesn’t feel anymore about me but she’s mourning the loss of another fuck buddy…

William’s heart skipped a beat, knowing that the scenario was possible.

But I love her so fucking much. She has to be picking up on it. I’ve mentioned numerous times that I plan on waiting for her—

“What are you thinking about?” Buffy asked quietly, after kissing his chest. She had noticed a change in his heartbeat. “You aren’t getting panicky, are you?”

“Um, a bit.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t let anything happen to you, William.”

She has feel something, but I’ll take all the crumbs of affection that she’ll offer me.
***

“I’ve been watching and a car goes by at least every two hours.” Buffy stood her tiptoes and put the shampoo in William’s hair, her nipples brushed erotically against his chest as she massaged the soap into his scalp.

William stood in awe like a child at Christmas, savoring his present. Buffy had never insisted that they shower together before that morning.

She wasn’t lying when she said she wanted to make the most of today.

“I figure I can go by myself and bring a car back.”

“What? You’re not going by yourself.”

“Why add high jacking to your list of crimes? I’ll just show a little leg and--.”

“I’m going with you,” William demanded, pulling her against him.

“Ok.” She didn’t struggle in his arms; she just leaned his head back and rinsed his hair. Her stomach pressed firmly against his erection, “I won’t argue because that would ruin your shower fantasy, wouldn’t it? And I’d hate to do that.” She pushed him against the wall and grinned, “You’re too much.”

“Am I? Too much of what?”

“I don’t know, how about all around goodness?”

“That’ll do, I think.” He rolled her erect nipple between his thumb and forefinger and kissed her deeply until they were both lightheaded. He pulled her back and saw that her eyes were still closed and her face was covered in water droplets, “Buffy, I think you’re lovely.” He was very pleased to see her bite her swollen bottom lip and he could’ve sworn a hint of blush colored her cheeks. He held the back of her wet head and pulled her in once more for a kiss. Buffy squirmed and rubbed against him.

She determined to drive me mad, isn’t she?

He gathered her in his arms in one swoop and leaned her against the tiled wall of the shower. “I love you.” He whispered, knowing that the sound of running water and their heavy breathing probably drowned out his confession. She said nothing and held onto his back, her head buried in his shoulder.

“Ahhh.” She grunted when he filled her once again. She bit and sucked the side of his neck as he moved the head of his cock in and out of her at a faster pace than before. Digging her nails in his back and moaning against his skin, she nearly lost control when he deepened his strokes.

Buffy screamed his name and came hard and faster than she had hoped.

Oh, God. He loves me.
***

“Sorry about that.” Buffy touched the hickey on the side of William’s neck as they walked along the empty road and smiled widely, not looking very sympathetic.

He shrugged off her apology, “After this you’re changing out of that skirt.”

“You really don’t like seeing my ass?” Buffy could tell that William was getting nervous by the tone of his voice.

“You know what I think of your ass.”

“This is what I was kidnapped in.”

“I don’t know what kind of guys your father has hired.”

Buffy was about to make a comment until she saw a white truck approaching in the distance. “Hide.”

“Buffy--.”

“I have a gun and so do you,” she stared ahead and fluffed her hair. “You hide and I’ll stop it.”

As the four-door pick-up truck approached, Buffy adjusted her shirt, exposing more cleavage. When she saw there were two men inside wearing baseball caps, Buffy raised a hand, allowing her skirt to fall dangerously low on her hips. After checking and seeing William was safely hid behind a tree, she turned on her most luminous smile.
***

The driver of the pickup slammed on the break as soon as Buffy’s face came into focus. Before pulling over he and passenger exchanged grins.

“Good morning, miss,” said the driver.

His friend chimed in soon after, “What you doing out here all on your lonesome? You want to step inside, we’ll take you where you want to go, if you get my meaning.” He tilted his cap forward and licked his lips, showing a mouth full of yellow teeth. “Plenty of room on the backseat, I reckon.”

Buffy flinched a bit and the men giggled in joy.

“Now,” William appeared out of nowhere and shoved his gun in the driver’s face, “that’s no way to talk to a lady, you bastard.”

Buffy quickly mirrored William’s actions, pulling her weapon on the passenger. “We’re not stealing your truck: we’re just borrowing it.”
***

William loaded the truck of their belongings and tossed a handful of clothes into Buffy’s lap before pulling out of the dirt driveway.

Without saying a word, Buffy pulled off her tank top and put on the sweatshirt that William had bought her days ago. “We should be early, I’ll change into the pants when we get there.”

William nodded and sped down the dirt road.

God, he’s freaking out already and it’s a four-hour ride.

She unhooked her seatbelt and scooted into the passenger seat. She rested her hand on his knee and they drove in silence.
***

Hours later, they reached the location for the switch, a straight, flat stretch of road, with open grassland on either end. Woods were in the distance but William knew there was little cover if he had to run and hide. William’s entire body trembled with nerves stretched out a rope thirty yards behind the truck that he kept running. He walked back to Buffy, who was leaning against the driver’s door.

“I’m going to tie your hands.” With a smaller, cut rope, he gently bound her hands, tying tightly enough to convince but not enough to hurt. “I have something to say, I know time is running out but I’ll be pissed if I don’t,” He took a deep breath and held her tied hands in his sweaty palms. “I love you, Buffy. I have for a while now and I can’t help it. I think you’re the strongest, sexiest, and smartest woman I’ve ever met. I’ll understand if you don’t feel the same but I just want you to know that I—I love you very much.” He finally looked into her eyes and saw tears. He leaned in to kiss her but froze at the sound of a car approaching. “I love you.” He stepped away from Buffy and pulled his gun from the back pocket of his jeans.

An Oldsmobile appeared around the bend and William watched it stop at the far end of the rope. There was only one person in the car, a dark haired woman wearing all black. She lifted a large suitcase out of the backseat and William’s heart sped up.

“Well,” Faith shouted, “what are we waiting for? Do you want to get on with this or not?”

“Sure. Right now,” William called back.

“Send over the girl.”

“First the money, that’s the deal.”

“Are you alright, Miss Summers?”

“I’m fine,” Buffy spoke for the first time in hours, “Just a little frightened.”

“Don’t worry, Buff, it’s going to be okay. We’ll get you back to your daddy in no time.”
***

Faith tied the end of the rope to the suitcase and William began to haul it in.

So far, this is working.

William felt relieved and drug the bag the last few feet. He opened the suitcase and inhaled sharply. He had never seen so much money, or even imagined it in any detail.

“Is it all there?” Buffy whispered.

“It’s all here.” William stood up.

“Okay, Blondie, send the girl over,” Faith shouted.

William and Buffy looked at each other.

“You don’t mean it. I know you don’t but thanks for saying it.”

“What?”

“You don’t love me.”

“Buffy--.”

“Be careful. Don’t get caught. It’s been fun.”

“Buffy--.”

She turned and walked towards Faith, unshed tears burning her eyes once out of his sight. After she had traveled half way, shoots filled the air, causing Buffy to fall to the floor.
***