Chapter 13

“What the hell?!” Faith kicked the tire of the Oldsmobile. “He shot up the fucking car!”

Buffy looked at the damaged car and remained emotionless.

I wonder what he was aiming at? Or who? God, I bet he hates me...now.

But at least he got away.

Faith opened the trunk of the car and swore louder, “He managed to hit everything in sight but he spared you, aren’t you lucky?”

“Who are you talking to?”

“Your boyfriend, Dudley Do-Right.” Faith reached into the compartment and pulled out a large shovel.

“My what?”

“Him.”

Buffy inched around the trunk and gasped at the blindfolded and bound man that was stuffed in the cramped space, “Riley Finn is in your trunk. Why?”

“Long story. Come on,” Faith took off in the direction William had sped off in.

“Wait,” Buffy grimaced.

With the trunk open, maybe someone will stop and help him.

Buffy accepted the weak justification for leaving Riley and ran after Faith. “You’re following him? The kidnapper?”

“Yeah, we have a job to do and we plan on finishing it.”
***

William tried to clear his mind. He didn’t want to think about the fortune that sat in the cab with him; he didn’t want to think of what he was leaving behind; he didn’t want to think of Buffy.

He focused on controlling the truck as he sped on the paved road.

I got way.

He struggled to catch his breath and to steady his trembling hands.

“I got away,” he repeated the phrase, hoping it would calm his shattered nerves.

But thanks for saying it.

Bitch.

William sighed angrily; annoyed that Buffy’s words were haunting him against his will.

He rolled his neck, attempting to lessen the tension that had gathered. He closed his eyes briefly and when he refocused on the road, he slammed on the brakes, causing the tires to skid.

“Fuck.” William looked heavenward and glared. “Dead people now?”

He swallowed and looked at the heap that blocked his path.

If she’s dead there’d be nothing I could do to help her, besides I have my own problems.

But, William held the steering wheel tighter, she could be injured and if I leave, she’ll suffer and she could die, all alone in the middle of a fucking street.

I’d be an instrument in her death or hell, her murder.

Fuck. Why? Why me?

William scanned the area for signs of what could have happened to the woman.

No blood, no skid marks, no scattered belongings.

I can’t leave her.

William pulled over and got out of the truck.

“Hey, miss. Are you alright?” William tucked his gun in the back pocket of his jeans. “If you’re hurt, I can try to help you.” He crouched down and considered turning over the woman, her face was turned down and she remained motionless.

I’m sure she’s dead but if I don’t check my conscious will be nagging me forever.

He held his breath and gently rolled over the red-haired woman, only to have the barrel of a gun shoved under his chin, “Don’t move a fucking muscle.”
***

“What took you?”

“He shot up the car,” Faith answered reaching the couple minutes later.

“You shot up the car. Why did you do that?” Willow jabbed William in the temple with her gun before giving his leg a hard kick with all her weight powering the blow.

William cried out in pain and glared at the woman. “I was trying to make a getaway.”

“Trying to make a get away.” She mimicked him and kicked his other leg, forcing him to fall on his knees. “Fucking asshole. Is she alright?”

“She seems to be.”

Buffy took her time in reaching the women, her eyes studying William for major injuries as he panted, lying in the dirt next to the road.

I can’t believe he got caught. He got out of the car.

He can’t do anything right.

Buffy struggled to keep her cool as Faith drug William to his feet. “What are you going to do with him?

“Blondie and I are going for a little walk.”
***

“You want to help me count?”

“My hands are still tied.”

Willow shrugged, not wanting to untie Buffy yet. She sat in the truck and thumbed through the money in the suitcase. Buffy stood outside and stared in the distance to where she’d last seen William.

“So are you fucking him?”

“Who?”

“The kidnapper.”

“Would it matter?”

“No, just trying to make conversation.”

“How much is my father paying you? Do you get a bonus for killing both of them?”

“Oh, you know about the other guy?”

“He’s still tied in the trunk.”

Willow giggles and fanned her face with a stack of dollar bills. “What made you fuck that guy? The oversized GI Joe? Was he a good ride?”

“Not really.”

“That sucks.”

“Well he didn’t.”

“Oh, poor you. I wonder what’s taking them so long. Have you heard a gunshot yet?”

“No. Can you cut me free please? These ropes are kinda tight.”

Willow nodded and zipped up the case. She put it on the seat and got out of the truck. Buffy’s face was blank as Willow cut the ropes using a switchblade.

“In a way, I’m almost sorry that we have to off your boyfriend.”

Buffy nodded and rubbed her free wrists. “In a way, I’m almost sorry that,” once Willow put away the knife, Buffy hit the woman in the face with all her might, “I have to beat you up but nobody messes with my boyfriend.” Willow fell into the truck door and Buffy quickly took the gun from the waist of her jeans. Buffy flinched before slamming the butt of the gun into Willow’s skull.
***

“I think this is a nice spot, don’t you?” Faith tossed the shovel at William’s feet, “Dig.”

“You are going to kill me.” William panted from pain after their long walk. They were now surrounded by tall trees and in the middle of a forest.

“I’m glad you caught on to that.”

“Then why must I dig?”

Faith glared; annoyed that the man felt he could ask her questions. She took out her gun and sat on a fallen tree. “Because if you’re not interested in digging your own grave, I’ll shoot you in the balls and then you can bleed to death while I dig. But then if you dig like a good boy, I’ll consider shooting you in the back of the head.”

William started digging.
***

Buffy ran blindly through the woods, not knowing where William could be.

Please, please don’t let me be too late.

She vaulted over fallen trees and ignored the twigs that torn her skin.

Please, God, I need him to be alright. Let everything be okay and I promise, I’ll make it up to him. I’ll take everything back, hell, I’ll even tell him how I feel.

Buffy continued to run, breathless, scared to death that she soon be hearing a scream or a single gunshot.

Please. Please. God, I think I love him.
***

Faith stood up once the hole was as deep as William’s thigh. “Ok, it’s time.” She tugged the shovel from William’s grasp and threw it aside.

“Oh, oh no.” William knew it was worthless, but he fell to his knees anyway, pleading.

“Lie down.”

“Please, no.”

Faith pushed William facedown into the soft, damp earth.

This is the end.

William closed his eyes and dug his fingers into the soil.

Faith took aim and cocked the gun.
***

William jumped as the gun fired and a bullet hit the ground, inches away from his head. He panicked at the sound of more shots. Before he could think about the situation, he screamed as something heavy landed on his body.

“William! Stop! Let’s go!”

“Buffy?”

“Come on.” She reached down and helped him out of the pit. “Get her gun.”

William wrinkled his nose and took the dead girl’s gun. “You killed her.”

“Shut up. We need to get out of here. Can you walk?”

“Yes.” He nodded and finally looked at Buffy who was red-faced and covered in sweat. “You saved me.”

“Of course. Let’s go.”
***

William helped Buffy into the truck before jumping behind the wheel; he drove, not knowing where they were headed.

“I told you to keep going no matter what. You shouldn’t have stopped. You shouldn’t have got out of the car, and you shouldn’t have gone into the woods.” Buffy looked out the window, her eyes tearing from the day’s events. She choked a sob and wiped her tears with her sleeve.

“Hey, love. Don’t cry. We’re alright.”

“Don’t call me that.”

“Oh, so we’re back to that again?”

“I killed someone.”

“It was self-defense,” William whispered, feeling guilty and that everything was his fault. Buffy’s tears were breaking his heart. “I messed everything up, you were right.”

“I’m always right. You might like to remember that. And I also don’t want you ever to scare me like that ever again.” She broke down into harder tears, “I won’t be able to handle it.”

“Buffy, come here.” William alternated from keeping his eyes on the road and to looking at her distraught face. All his anger had melted and all he wanted to do was make her feel better and to kiss away her tears. “Let me hold you, sweetheart.”

Buffy nodded and crawled over to him as he drove, her fist clenching his blood stained shirt as she sobbed into his chest.

“It’ll be alright. We’re okay and we have the money too.” William rubbed Buffy’s back with a free arm. “Shhh, let it all out.”

Speaking of the money, where is it?

William glanced in the back seat just as the blade of a knife brushed through the back of his seat, missing him narrowly.

“Fuck! Buffy watch out!”

Willow rose up and grabbed Buffy around the neck. William shivered the truck and the force pushed Willow over, allowing Buffy to break free from her grasp. Buffy lunged at the woman and tried to force the gun out of her hands. Just as Willow would manage to level the gun at William’s head, Buffy bated her arms away. Two shots were fired, making holes in the roof of the truck and another in the windshield. William drove with his head down and his foot to the floor as bullets flew past him.

“Buffy! Bridge!”

Buffy nodded and pushed Willow close to the side of the truck. She snaked her hand into the back and opened the back door. The road ran past in a blur and Willow’s eyes grew wide, knowing what was going to happen next. Willow reached for the handle to close the door, but it was too late.

“Brake!”

William followed Buffy’s direction and slammed on the brake, causing the truck to skid and swing a hundred and eighty degrees. The side of the truck smashed into the railing of the bridge. Willow was thrown out of the vehicle and over the railing. In her left hand, Willow held the suitcase full of money.
***

William and Buffy said nothing and they gazed ahead blankly, both trying to steady their heavy breathing. Minutes later, they climbed out of the truck and peered beneath them. Buffy sniffled once at the sight of Willow’s battered body. Her head, legs and arms were arranged in improbable angles as her lifeless body rested on a rock in the center of the river. There was no sign of the suitcase but clusters of bills were scatted on the water and could be seen as they floated away.

They turned away in silence and returned to the truck, scared but still functioning. Buffy sat as close as possible to William, their arms entwined as William turned the truck around and they continued across the bridge without muttering a single word.
***

“Pull over.”

William didn’t ask why, he followed her instructions and stopped near the Oldsmobile. He stayed and watched Buffy after she got out and walked to the trunk.

“Riley.” Buffy took away his blindfold with trembling fingers and then she worked releasing him from his gag. “What are you doing here?”

“God, Buffy I’m so happy to see you. I’ve been looking for days. Did you get away from that sicko? I can’t wait to take you home.” Riley talked unstop as Buffy cut through his bindings, so glad to see that she was safe.

Buffy couldn’t find her voice and just nodded. She helped him out of the trunk. “Go home Riley.”

“We’ll go as soon as possible. Hey, can your friend carry one more?” With a hand shielding his eyes from the sun, he squinted at the truck. “Shit, Buffy, isn’t that the kidnapper?”

“Yes, that’s William. You need to find your own way home.”

“What? You—what’s going on?”

“I’m not going back to my father. I’m staying with William.”

“What? Have…have you been brainwashed?” Riley demanded an answer. “That asshole thinks he can brainwash my girlfriend and get away with it? I don’t think so.”

“Riley,” Buffy grabbed his shoulder and stopped him from charging at the truck. “I haven’t been brainwashed. We’ve been working together all along, William and I. You know I’m not your girlfriend; we broke up months ago. I’m with William now.”

“You’re kidding.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Buffy, please.”

“No. Go home, Riley.” Buffy started to walk away but Riley held her arm. “I’ve already killed two people today, don’t mess with me.” Her voice was more tired than threatening. “Tell Hank to rot in hell for me.” She pushed him away and ran back to William.
***

“Who was that?”

“An ex-boyfriend trying to save me but he was too late, wasn’t he?”

“I’m sorry things turned out like they did.”

“So am I.” Buffy turned up the air conditioner and sighed, threading her fingers with William’s, “I know you meant what you said. I just wanted…fuck, I don’t know why I say what I did but I know that you do feel…that way, about me.”

“You really pissed me off.”

“I know. I really like you William.” She bit her lip, not able to confess her real feelings just yet. “I just have seen so many relationships go to hell once the l-word is muttered. I know you must think we have something, but I’d rather pretend we don’t for a while longer,” she inhaled deeply and squeezed his hand. “We’ve been through a lot and I just want to make sure if we do have something, that it won’t be ruined. You understand? Because if we did, um, have something and if we lost it, I don’t think I’d be able to handle that…the loss.”

“I imagine that it would be tough for me as well.”

“So we’re good?”

“We are but how are you? Still shaken?”

“I will be fine, I think. But I don’t know what to do now. I’m as much of a criminal as you are, probably more. We need to get away. We need to hide.”

“Together?”

“That’s what I was thinking, unless you don’t want me.”

“Buffy, I always want you.”

“Thank you.” Buffy blinked away stubborn tears. Since her breakdown earlier, she found her eyes were not willing to dry completely. She rubbed her stinging eyes with the sleeve of her sweatshirt and sniffled. “Drive into the nearest town. Have you ever thought about robbing a bank?”
***