Chapter 14

“Buffy, you can’t be serious. Haven’t we gone through enough today?”

“Live a little.” Buffy kept her eyes peeled for a bank as they drove through the small town. “It’ll be fun.”

“No, it’ll be dangerous.”

“No, what happened on the bridge and in the woods, that was dangerous; robbing a bank will be exciting.”

William panicked not ready to risk his life again. He was still covered in dirt, sweat and Faith’s blood.

I need an excuse, a good excuse, anything that will at least postpone her madness. She wants to rob a bloody bank.

“We need our rest before trying something like that. It’s getting late, pet. The bank is probably already closed anyway.”

Buffy looked at the truck’s digital clock and cursed. “I guess you’re right.”

Thank God.

“We’ll just have to make a date for tomorrow then.”

Fuck.

“Buffy, I--.”

“Nope, I’m not changing my mind.”
***

“I really liked this shirt.” Buffy helped William take off the wrecked garment. They used the last of their money to stay at a decent hotel and to pay for a meal at a fast food joint. Knowing that they couldn’t afford breakfast in the morning fueled Buffy’s demand that they commit another crime.

I killed people today. How could holding up a bank compare to that?

“I have a crazy thought, love: what if we went back and really looked for your father’s suitcase. We never saw it and it held a shitload of money. Even if we found a few thousand, it would help us tremendously.”

“Maybe, after we rob the bank. You’re not changing my mind.” She knelt and unbuttoned his pants. She pulled them down slowly remembering how Willow had kicked him. “God,” she saw two purple bruises on his legs. “Only I’m allowed to kick you.”

“You threaten daily but you never have.” William reminded her and took a sharp intake of breath when he felt Buffy’s lips lightly pressed against his injures. He was touched by the sweetness of her actions and barely by the tingle pain that they caused.

“I’m glad you’re still with me.” Buffy stood and took off her sweatshirt and worked on getting as naked as he was. “You want to start the water? I’ll be in there in a minute.”
***

After helping each other shower, they filled up the tub and sat in the clean water together. With their stomachs touching and their legs entwined, Buffy sighed, happy to be in William’s arms again.

“Riley said that you brainwashed me.” Buffy laughed at the thought and closed her eyes, feeling tired, warm and comfortable.

“That was Riley, huh? The prince charming turned stalker?”

“You remembered?”

“Of course.”

“He wanted to marry me after dating for only two months. Isn’t that crazy?”

“Absurd.” William bit his lip, knowing that after a few weeks he had his and Buffy’s wedding imagined down to every detail.

“I dumped him and for some reason it never sunk in that we were over. He even called me is his girlfriend today.”

“Oh?”

“But I told him I was yours now.”

William’s heart stung and he held her tighter, silently delighted.

“I bet he thinks you’re going to force me to marry you.” She laughed again, hiding the fact that she too had dreamed of holy matrimony in what she had considered a moment of insanity.

“Wouldn’t be so bad, I think, us marrying,” said William quietly. “Unless you were… ah, forced of course.”

“Yeah that would piss me off.”

“But if you weren’t,” he struggled, afraid to be rejected again, “forced, what would you do if I asked? Not that I’m asking or that I plan on asking you in the near-future or at all even—I just, um--.”

“You’re just curious?”

“Yes.” He fell deeper in love with Buffy at that moment, relieved that she knew exactly what he was getting at. “Just so if in the far, far away future I was to ask, I would have a heads up on what you’d say.”

“I’d probably say yes, but this would be after you’ve jumped through a lot of hoops, proving your undying love and affection. You’d have already promised me the world and I’d have no doubt in my mind that you’d provide me with everything that I could have ever wanted. I’d also be at the point where I loved you so much that it’d be almost too much for me to bear.”

“Um, I’ll remember that.”

“If you ask.”

“Yes, if I ask.”

“We should get out of the water, I’m getting sleepy.”

“Ok.”
***

She’d say yes.

William grinned and watched as Buffy walked around the room wrapped in a towel. He pulled the bed sheets high and waited for her to join him.

She saved me, twice. She killed for me.

Buffy put up her wet hair in a tight bun and her towel fell around her ankles.

She’s so beautiful. I love her. She said she was mine.

William’s heart skipped a beat as Buffy bent over to pick up her towel. His cock twitched, still hard from their time in the shower and from their bath.

I love her so much. I think she feels the same but she can’t say the words.

Buffy hung up her towel in the bathroom and got into bed still naked. Without saying a word she kissed William goodnight and turned on her side. William curled his body around hers, cupping her breast with the palm of his hand. His erection pressed against her ass and William knew she wouldn’t mind.

She knows I want her.

“I love you, Buffy.”

“I know.” She moved his hand to her lips and kissed it before replacing it on her chest. “Thank you for saying it,” she whispered before falling asleep.
***

“There’s nothing I can say to change your mind?”

“Nothing.” She checked to see how many bullets were in their guns. “We go in; I’ll flash my gun and do all the talking. You don’t have to do anything unless there’s trouble.”

“Trouble? What ever could you mean?” William rolled his eyes. “Other than security guards, silent alarms, video cameras and tellers with no access to the fucking safe. This could blow up in our faces. We’ve got this far--.”

“And we don’t have enough money for a Happy Meal.”

“I really think we should go back and--.”

“Return to the scene of the crime in our battered, stolen white truck, yeah William, that sounds like a great plan, no one will be suspicious at all.”

“It sounds better than holding up a bank.”

“To you.” Buffy sighed and finished packing their things as William stared blankly at afternoon cartoons. “I don’t want to fight with you.”

“I don’t want to fight either but I don’t think you’re thinking everything through, Buffy.”

“Of course I’ve thought everything through. It’s what I do.” She checked the clock. “We should go now; less people will be there.”

“You hope.”

“I know.”

“Whatever.” He turned off the television and gave up. He hated her idea but he wasn’t going to let her go alone. “I’ll check us out of the room.”

“I’ll be at the truck. Be careful.”

He snorted and kissed her cheek before walking out the door.
***

I guess this is the natural response to everything: to my father, to the loss of all my money, to the death of those women.

“I’ll do all the talking. Park near the entrance so we can get a getaway quickly and by the time we’re done it should be dark so that’ll be in our favor.” She emptied the brown paper bag of clothes and clutched the gun in her hand. “Ready?”

“No.”

“Trust me; I know what I’m doing.”

“I think this is stupid.” William stopped the car and pulled out the keys. “It doesn’t feel right.”

“And any of the other stuff did? Ok, William.” She grabbed his face and pulled him in for a kiss. It took him seconds to respond but Buffy was persistent, drawing out moans and his cooperation. She played with the hair on the back of his head and pressed her forehead against his. “Everything will be fine. Trust me.”

“Damn it Buffy, I want to but--.”

“No buts. Let’s go.” She got out of the car and strolled towards the bank.

“God help us.” William had no choice but to follow.
***

William scanned the bank and hoped Buffy was doing the same thing. He kept the uniformed guard in the corner of his eye as they stood in line at the fourth teller’s window behind a woman and her daughter.

“Buffy maybe we should cut in line.” He pulled her close and whispered in her ear. “The guard went in the back.”

She nodded, “Excuse me.” She tapped on the shoulder of the flowery shirted woman, “Can we go ahead? We’re in a hurry.”

“Um, I guess.”

“Thank you very much.” Buffy grinned and went to the window and pulled out her gun, “I’d like to make a withdrawal.”

The teller moved slowly, remembering her training. She looked Buffy in the eyes and inched her hand towards the silent alarm.

“I don’t think so.” Without warning Buffy grabbed the teenage girl behind her and pointed the gun at her temple. “Fill the bag. Quickly please.”

The security guard ran out of the back of the building at the mother’s screams. Buffy stared the man in the eye and dared him to draw his gun.

This was not in the plan.

William watched helplessly as the bank’s customers scrambled to the floor, some crying and most scared to death.

“Leave my daughter alone. Please leave her alone.” The mother begged as Buffy watched the teller fill the brown bag.

The woman lunged for her daughter but William ushered her away. “Nothing’s going to happen to your daughter, miss.”

“She is going to kill her.”

“She’s not going to kill her.” William gave the woman an assuring pat on the shoulder.

“Yes, I am.”

“What?”

“Shut up, William. Everybody shut up or this girl’s brains are going all over the fucking wall! Now hurry up and fill the fucking bag, lady.”

The teller moved faster and mother sobbed, falling to the floor.

“Buffy--.”

“Shut up.”

“Hey, you need to claim down and let the girl go to her mother.”

Buffy grinned seeing an opportunity to confuse their audience.

If they think we’re not working together maybe…

She winked at William and let the girl go. Buffy pointed the gun between William’s eyes instead. “Is this better? On your knees.”

“Buffy, what?”

“On your knees, William. You did this to me once, remember, when you kidnapped me? Expect that you, unlike me, lacked the balls to pull the trigger.”

“Oh, God.”

“Goodbye, William.”

“Okay, kill me but don’t touch the girl.”
***

“God, I can’t breathe.” Buffy stumbled after William a laughed loud and hard. “You—you were amazing. You should have been on television.”

“I’m glad you’re amused, you crazy bitch.”

“Oh William, what’s wrong?” She paused and watched as he angrily marched to the pickup truck, a bagful of bills in his arms.

“What’s wrong? That was not in the plan, Buffy. You attacked a girl and nearly gave her mother a heart attack. And then I was convinced you were going to kill me, that’s what’s wrong.”

“Kill you? I thought you knew what I was doing. I winked—I won’t kill you, William.”

“No?”

“No, no.” She saw how upset he looked and she felt awful. “God, I wouldn’t dream of hurting you, William. I….I love you.”

“You what?”

She grinned and reached for him, “I love you, William. Very much and for awhile now.” She cupped his face and stared into his eyes. “So, so, very much.”

“Buffy.”

“I couldn’t hurt you.” She nuzzled his cheek with her nose and held the back of his head. “I love you,” she said the words slowly, pouring out all her feelings for him. Pressing against him, Buffy kissed him passionately, attempting to convince him farther.

“I love you too.” William pulled away and looked up at the sound of screams.

“What’s wrong?”

William didn’t answer; he pushed Buffy aside and stood in front of her, shielding her with his body at the crack of the security guard’s gun.

Feeling the impact of the shot in his leg, he fell to the ground; William cried out and let the bag of money fall.
***

The security guard lowered his gun. From his distance he hadn’t expected to hit anything especially not the young man. It was the first he had ever had to use a gun after twenty years on the job at the bank. The man trembled and watched the woman cry and shove her partner as he writhed in pain into the pickup truck. Knowing the police would be arriving shortly; the security guard didn’t have the heart to follow the truck as it sped away.
***

“I’m dying, Buffy, I think I’m dying. I don’t want to die.” William clutched his leg and spoke weakly. The pain and the steady loss of blood had taken a toll on his strength.

“You won’t die, baby. I won’t let you die.” Buffy drove, avoiding the freeways, making their drive was long and uncomfortable. She forced herself to stop from breaking down.

“I don’t want to die. Are you taking me to the hospital? I don’t want to die in a hospital.”

“I’m not taking you to a hospital.”

“What!” William sat up and panicked, “What do you mean you’re not taking me to a hospital? I demand to go to a hospital. Where are you taking me?”

“Just hold on,” Buffy whispered and feared William was becoming delirious, “we’re almost there.”

I hope I’m doing the right thing.
***