A/N:

Hi, everybody. How are you? :) This chapter is a long one and a lot of fun happens. It could be teary for you in the beginning… but don’t worry.

Tell me what you think, review please. It gets the chapters to you a lot faster.

Thank you for reading.

Chapter 17

“How stupid could I be?” Buffy searched through her purse in the pouring rain. She desperately wanted to hide.

Like he’d want me back after the things I did. She closed her eyes and let her tears fall freely as her hands blindly searched for her car keys. I don’t deserve him; I don’t deserve to have his baby, anyway.

Buffy’s body shook from a mixture of embarrassment and sadness.

“Buffy!”

Oh, please. Please God.

She swallowed and turned slowly to see William running towards her. She pulled her shirt from clinging to her soaked frame, feeling self-conscious. Holding her purse against her chest, she waited for him to come closer.

Please, please.

“Buffy! You forgot your keys.”

Buffy’s shoulders fell, her hopes shot down in an instant. “Oh. I must have dropped them.” Looking down and studying his boots, Buffy’s throat tightened and she struggled to control her tears. “Sorry.”

“They fell from your coat.”

“Oh,” she held out her hand and waited for the final sign that they were over: William supplying her with the means of leaving.

“Come inside Buffy.”

“I’d rather not,” she laughed sadly and felt stupid with her hand outreached so she ran her fingers through her tangled hair. “I just want to—I need to get out of here.” She forced a smile, “Can I have my keys please?”

William took a step closer and Buffy moved away, closer to the beat up car. “Buffy…”

“Don’t, I understand completely. You don’t trust me. I get that. I guess I just thought you needed to know about the baby. I know it’s yours, I really do, I can feel it--.” Buffy cringed, “Sorry, I’m rambling again. I should go before I make a bigger fool out of myself. I think I did that enough tonight.” She wiped her eyes, no longer caring about concealing her tears.

“Let’s go inside. We can talk.”

“No, no that would just make things worse.”

“You shouldn’t drive like this especially with the storm. It isn’t safe.”

Lightening cracked, as if proving his point but Buffy shook her head. “I’ll take my chances.”

“Buffy, don’t be stupid. Don’t go.”

“Give me my keys, William. Now.”

“I love you.”

Buffy heart swelled and she felt chest constrict. She finally looked him in the eye, “I love you too.”

“So don’t leave me then.”

She closed her eyes, afraid that what he was saying was too good to be true. “Are you serious because I don’t think I can handle the rejection again. I can handle two but three? Three would be too much.”

Buffy moaned out of surprise and relief once William’s body was pressing into hers. He pushed her against the car and grabbed the sides of her face between his palms. He brushed his lips against her forehead and Buffy broke down into sobs, clinging to his elbows for support. Without saying a word, he gathered Buffy’s trembling body into his arms and carried her out of the falling rain.
***

“God, pet, you’re killing me. Please stop crying.” William tried to lower Buffy onto a chair but she whined in protest and held him tighter. “Ok, I’ll sit then.”

After a bit of a struggle, he managed to sit with Buffy shaking in his lap. Her head was buried into his shoulder and her arms were securely wrapped around his neck.

“You have no reason to carry on like this.” He rubbed her back and worried about her catching a cold. “We need to get you dry--.”

“I’m so, so sorry. I just wanted to save you.”

“I get that...now.”

“Do you? Really?” She looked up, not believing him.

“Ok, answer this for me. Why did you do it? All of it?”

“Because I loved you and because I wanted to protect you. Everything was my fault…” She paused to hiccup and to cry harder.

“Stop. You heart was in the right place, now wasn’t it? I forgive you.”

“No you don’t. You just want me to stop crying.”

“Well that would be nice but I’m not lying.”

“You really want me back?”

“How can you ask that, sweetheart? I’m so happy you came to me. I was miserable without you.”

“I had to see you.”

“I’m glad. Buffy look at me.”

She sniffled and wiped her runny nose with the back of her hand. “You don’t want to see me. I look like crap.” She looked at him anyway and bit her lip. “Oh, you don’t look too hot either.”

“Thank you. You aren’t the only one allowed to have a good cry.” He grinned and touched the puffy area under her eyes with his fingertips.

“I’m sorry that I hurt you.”

“Hush, there was a great deal of hurt on both sides. I should’ve listened before but I was in shock and my leg hurt like hell--.”

“Oh! How’s your leg? I can’t believe I forgot to ask. I noticed you still limp. Is it healing alright?” She looked up concerned. “Should I get up?” She wiggled in his lap, scared that she was hurting him.

“No, you’re fine. It’s fine.”

“Good.”

“Buffy…” He held her hips and scooted her close again, needing the contact. “God, I’ve missed you.”

“You did?”

He snorted at her doubt and acted quickly. He nuzzled her neck and kissed her with soft, dry kisses. “Of course I missed you.” He whispered against her skin and slowly moved up to her lips. “Open your eyes. I want you back, Buffy. I want you with me again, love, always.”

“Oh—Thank God--.”

He chuckled before kissing her sweetly with closed lipped kisses. Buffy moaned and opened her mouth wider for him, thankful to be in his arms and to have access to his kisses once again. Their tongues mingled naturally and Buffy gathered the courage to pet the sides of his face. She sighed, content.

“Always?” She whispered between kisses, a new set of tears falling from her eyes.

“Buffy,” he scolded her lightly and brushed her cheeks dry with a sigh. “The moment I stepped out of that bloody car I cursed myself; I knew that I had turned away the woman with whom I had spent the happiest, most exciting time of my life. You meant more to me than anything else on this earth then and I feel the same now.” William saw a glimpse of her smile before she rested her head on his shoulder. He felt her kiss the crook of his neck before her body finally relaxed in his arms.
***

“Al, it’s me. William.”

“That’s a nice looking woman you have there. You’re going to ask to leave early aren’t you?”

“Well, yes, actually. I finished the floors.”

“The boxes can wait. Should I expect you tomorrow night or will you be ah, busy?”

William looked over to Buffy who was sitting in a booth and staring at her fingernails while he spoke on the phone. Her eyes were puffy and her clothes were still damp, “Yeah, I don’t think I’ll be able to make it.”

“Got a lot of making up to do, huh?” Al laughed over the phone, “Remember William, you can only fight like you and Ms. Summers did when there’s something special to fight about. Don’t let her go again. And keep yourselves out of trouble. Kidnapping and bank raids, those aren’t things you should establish your relationship on.”

“Thank you, Al. I’ll be in on Monday.”

“Have a good weekend.”
***

“Let’s see. There’s only one bedroom and that’s Xander’s, I try to avoid it at all costs. He’s rarely here, though. Over there’s the bathroom and I sleep here.” William pointed to the sofa. “It converts into a bed and it’s pretty uncomfortable, the springs come up sometimes so I sleep on the floor too.”

Buffy nodded and took in the dark basement, “I was surprised to see that you lived here. You didn’t seem to like Xander very much when you told me about him.”

“Well, I was desperate and he helped me out, he even got me the job.”

“Where did you live before?”

“In an apartment across town but I gathered your father had it cleaned out. I knew I couldn’t stay there. I pretty much have nothing except some clothes.” He shrugged, “But considering I could be dead, it doesn’t seem so bad.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.” William walked around and gathered a handful of clothes. “You can change and I’ll get the bed ready. You must be exhausted.”

“Do you always work so late?”

“Best way to hide, the graveyard shift. You need anything? Food or a drink?”

“No, thank you, I’m good.”

“Ok, go change and then we’ll sleep.”
***

“What are you doing?”

“Um, I thought maybe you’d like it if I slept--.”

“No. You’re sleeping with me.”

“Alright.” William scooped the blankets off the floor and started to fold them. “I didn’t want to you to think you were obligated to sleep with me.”

“You’re cute, William,” she crawled under the covers wearing his t-shirt and a pair of his sweatpants. “So very cute.” She inhaled into the pillow, her senses singing to be surrounded by his scent. “I wore your clothes everyday and I read your book so many times. I needed you with me in someway constantly. You said that you were miserable; I was pathetic. I never cried before I met you William. Hell, I never really felt loved before you either and I was never terrified until I thought that I had lost you. And you think I’d like for you to sleep on the floor?” She snorted and wiggled deeper under the blankets, pulling them to her neck. “I don’t think so. You’re sleeping with me, damn it.”

“You’re so bossy,” William grinned and turned off the light before joining her in bed. She was in his arms instantly. “I love you too, Buffy,” he whispered before kissing her brow.

“Thank you for everything tonight, William.”
***

“Mmmm.” Buffy hummed and kept her eyes closed, afraid to wake from her dream. She blindly reached and threaded her fingers into a head of soft curls. Warm lips and fingertips adorned her stomach with feathery touches. She gasped as her shirt was pushed higher, exposing her bare chest. He blew on her nipples and caused an outbreak of goosebumps that rushed all the way down to her toes.

“Buffy.”

“No, don’t wake me,” she whispered in a breathy voice.

“But you’ll enjoy it more if you’re not snoring.”

“I don’t snore.”

“You were a few minutes ago.”

“Shut up.”

He chuckled against her skin before licking around her nipple with the tip of his tongue. He tended to the other before moving up to kiss her lips. “Good morning, sweetheart.”

Buffy opened her eyes and at the sight of him, her heart jumped, “Thank God it wasn’t a dream.”

“I was thinking the same thing.”

“Is it really morning? What time is it?” She noticed the basement had an orange glow coming from its single tiny window.

“Don’t know. I didn’t bother to look. I can take this off, yeah?” She nodded and William pulled off her t-shirt with ease. His thumb circled her nipple as they kissed again. “You’re so beautiful, pet. My dreams never did you any justice.” He moved down her body and nuzzled her stomach with his face, kissing the perimeter of her belly button. “When are you due, love?”

“I don’t know exactly.”

“You haven’t gone to a doctor?”

“I came directly to you. You know those pregnancy tests that claim to be 99.9 percent correct? I took six of them and all of them were positive.”

“So it couldn’t be a false alarm.” He ran his fingers lovingly up and down her torso. William rested his head on her chest, deep in thought, “Buffy, is it really mine? I thought you were taking birth control pills,” he rolled down the elastic band of her sweatpants and held his hand to her lower belly. “Not that I’m unhappy about you being pregnant, I just hope I’ll be able to keep you and our baby safe—hell, Buffy, are you crying again? I didn’t want to upset you.”

“You didn’t. And I’m not crying.” She wiped her eyes and held back her need to sniffle. “That’s why I’m sure the baby’s yours; I was on the pill and I don’t think I missed any days but it’s possible that I could have forgot because everything was so crazy,” she took a deep breath, ashamed, “Don’t be mad at me. I wasn’t trying to get pregnant.”

“Buffy, I’m not mad,” he sat up and reached to get her Kleenex from the in-table. “Here. It’s just unexpected that’s all but that doesn’t mean that it won’t be wonderful. Everything will be fine and you won’t have to go through anything alone. I’ll be here for you.” He leaned down to give her a reassuring kiss.

“You’d better be careful or I’ll start the continuation of my ‘William you’re perfect speech,” Buffy wrapped her arms around his neck and brought him close again. “Kiss me again but quickly. I have to pee so bad I’m practically seeing yellow.”

William chuckled and followed his orders, pinning Buffy beneath him for as long as she could stand it before she squirmed away and ran to the bathroom.
***

“I pee all the time,” Buffy walked out of the bathroom, still topless and pouting. “It sucks.”

“Awww. Come here. I made us breakfast while you were gone.”

“You’re such a good cook, William.” Buffy grinned and accepted a bowl of cereal after getting under the covers. “Mmmm, sugary marshmallow-filled cereal, my fav.”

“It’s my specialty.” Buffy giggled and William smiled, enjoying her company. He couldn’t remember her acting so vulnerable before, laughing out loud and crying freely. “This is nice, sitting here and not having to worry about risking my life tomorrow. I could get used to this.”

“So everything’s been quiet? Hank hasn’t sent any more of his goons for you? I was really worried.”

“Not a one that I know of. Did you have any trouble at your mum’s?”

“No.”

“Maybe your father gave up?”

“He won’t give up.”

“Now, that’s not very optimistic, pet.”

“He won’t give up. He sent Giles out for two years—it only took him two years to hunt down four men that were hiding all over the world.”

“Yeah, I remember, Ripper.” William shifted uncomfortably. “So are we doomed, then? I rather we weren’t. I hate to think we’ll always be looking for baddies lurking in the bushes especially with the baby on the way.”

“Um, Xander… he mentioned you were planning on leaving for England as soon as you made enough money. You think you could handle…maybe a travel buddy? Or two if you’re willing to wait for eight to nine months… I kinda promised Mom she could help me with the pregnancy stuff, but if you want to leave sooner, I’ll follow. I’ll follow you anywhere, William.”

“We can go anywhere you want, pet.” William took their empty bowls and sat them on the table before turning to her, speaking excitedly. “Anywhere, as soon as we need to, but until then we can stay around here and of course you can be with your mum.”

Buffy felt a weight lift from her shoulders. “She wants to meet you.”

“Oh? What awful lies did you tell your mum about me?” He pulled her over so she was curled along his body and facing him.

“That you’re beautiful and passionate and the sexiest janitor I’ve ever laid eyes on,” Buffy rested her head on his shoulder and wrapped an arm around William’s waist.

“Those are some vicious lies, love, nasty even.”

“I know but she didn’t believe them so you’re safe. She’s not too fond of men, which is understandable because she was married to my father, the asshole. I lived with my mom until Hank had her deemed unfit to raise me when I was eleven, by then I had it drilled in my head that men only wanted one thing, sure they wanted more than once but it was still only one thing…” She laughed, “I guess she raised me to be bitter and conniving.”

“You did her proud.”

“Until being around you ruined me. You proved to me that there was an alternative to the jerks I had dated before.”

“But wait, I only want one thing too, pet.”

“Oh? What?”

“You.”

“You’re so corny, William.”

“Hey, you set me up for that one.”

“But you didn’t have to fall for it.”

“I did to. Like everything about you, I found it irresistible.”

“So are you saying you want me more than once?”

“Of course I am.”

“Are you saying you want me now?”

“It depends. Are you saying that you want me now?”

“I am, but I have to pee first.”

“Hurry then.”
***

Buffy gasped, her body would have flown up from the bed if William hadn’t been holding her thighs open so securely. She couldn’t see straight as his flat tongue slowly made its way up to her clit once again. When he inserted his finger into her depths, sliding it easily in and out with the help of her wetness, her body was already shaking, her breathing heavy.

“Don’t,” she squeezed her eyes and reached to pull up William’s head, “Stop.”

He stopped pleasing her with his mouth but kept his finger moving. “Why?”

“Because.” Buffy put her hand on his and moved it from between her legs. Without warning she stuck his glistening finger in her mouth and licked it clean. “I’d like for you to come with me.” She pulled William up her body and kissed him while pushing down his sweatpants once they were in her reach. William cooperated as if in a daze but Buffy was determined to pull him out of it, stroking his erection and bringing out his throaty moans. “Roll over, baby. Please?”

Once she had William on his back, she straddled his hips and took him inside her inch by inch. Keeping constant eye contact, their hips ground together at a steady pace. “William,” she took his hands from her hips and threaded their fingers together before leaning against his chest, “I love you, William.” She whispered in his ear before pressing her lips against the lobe. Setting their hands above his head, she aligned her face centimeters away from his, “I love you more than anything. More than everything.” Tears gathered in her eyes and she kissed him deeply, overcome by emotion.

“I love you too, Buffy.” He squeezed in the words between pants and kisses. He let go of her hands to cup her behind, giving him more control of the depth of his thrusts. When he knew he wasn’t going to last much longer, William snaked a hand between their bodies and rubbed Buffy’s clit until her inner walls began convulsing erratically, sending him immediately to his own release.

“Don’t move, baby,” Buffy whined when she thought William was going to slide out of her. “Stay with me. More kissing.”

“You really like kissing don’t you?”

“No, I really like your kisses,” she rubbed against him and dug her hands in his hair before attacking him with her mouth. “I missed you.”
***