Chapter 18

Buffy listened to the sounds of the basement: the stomping of feet, the water rushing through the noisy plumbing, and the muffled voices of the people living above. William’s heartbeat rang the loudest in Buffy’s ear as she lay on his body, her head on his chest.

Everything’s moving so quickly. Yesterday morning we were living in different zip codes and now… Oh God I should be freaking out. I’m going to have a baby. We’re going to England. My future seems to be all planned out... well the important stuff anyway…

I’ll be with William.

A wave of warm pleasure traveled down to her toes.

Everything feels so… so right.

Everything feels good.

Very, very good.

“Something funny, love?”

“Mmmm? No, I wasn’t laughing really, just basking, thinking and enjoying.”

“Oh, sounds like you were busy then.”

“I love multi-tasking. I’m good at it.”

“You’re good at a lot of things and that always amazes me. So what were you thinking about?”

“Nothing specific,” she pulled William’s head towards hers and sighed when their lips met. “Tell me about your story. Where are you now?”

“Our story, pet.” He corrected as he twirled a thin strand of her hair through his fingers, “And actually, I’m at the same spot.”

“You didn’t write any more?”

“I couldn’t. Not a word.”

“That’s awful.”

“Well…I did write… just other things,” William looked away sheepishly.

Buffy rolled on her side so she could see him better, “Oh, now I’m curious, William.”

“You don’t want to know, love.”

“Yes I do.”

“You’ll laugh.”

“I didn’t before.”

“This is…this is different.”

“How?”

“Just forget about it.”

“Ok, but you brought it up,” Buffy frowned and felt tingles of annoyance. “Were you just teasing me?”

“You always tease me,” William held back his laugh. “You’re about to threaten to do me bodily harm, aren’t you, sweetheart?”

“I’m not that predictable, William.” She slid her hand between them and pressed against his semi-hard cock, “But you like the way I tease you. You enjoy it, besides you know I think your story is extraordinary. How could whatever you were writing be any different?”

“You’re too kind, love,” William groaned once Buffy circled his shaft, gently moving from head to base while applying the right amount of pressure to make him see stars.

“Tell me, baby.”

Her voice was dripping with affection and at her term of endearment, William rolled them over taking Buffy by surprise. He kissed her hard and hungrily, guiding himself inside before Buffy could anticipate his entrance. “I wrote these poems, Buffy,” he tore his mouth from hers and confessed. “Dreadful love poems.”

“Love poems? Oh God! That feels good.” She purred and wrapped her arms around his neck, holding on for dear life, determined to meet his hips with every quick, maddening stroke. “About me?”

“No, about the grocery lady. She has beautiful eyes.” Snorting, William dove into Buffy’s breasts headfirst.

Hissing and arching her back, Buffy gave William better access to her chest, “Recite me one.”

“I’m busy.” He pulled out, causing Buffy to whine and then he filled her again, reaching deeper, causing her to whimper.

“After then, please?” She guided his lips back to hers, “Please, William?”

“Oh, alright but you’ll owe me.”
***

“You’ll hate it.”

“Read it.”

William sighed and pulled on his pants before taking the envelope out from its hiding place, “I was going to mail it.” He explained, taking out the single sheet of white paper and unfolding it. He took a deep breath, preparing himself for embarrassment.

“Wait, give me a Kleenex.”

“You’re right. Good thinking. It’ll probably bore you to tears or you’ll laugh so hard your--.”

“Just give me the box. No one’s ever wrote me a poem before William.” She looked at him seriously and covered her nakedness with the blankets of the bed. She laid the box of tissues in her lap and motioned for him to start reading.

“It’s kinda short. Ok, here goes…” He cleared his throat, “Oh desert me, wretched loneliness, and bring me back my love. For she and I have parted and the sky is up above—Now that last part, it may sound as if I was just trying to rhyme there,” he dismissed the line quickly, “But, you see, it means that the world still goes on, even if we’re feeling ah…”

“Wretchedly lonely?”

“Yeah that’s right, it’s a conventional poetic technique to contrast the universe with the inner world.”

She nodded, “Continue please.”

“Your limbs so svelte and slender,” William groaned, hoping Buffy wouldn’t catch that both words had the same meaning. “Your touch so soft and tender, but the bit that I like best…” He closed his eyes and felt like an idiot, “Is the bit you keep hidden down deep in your chest. Now the last verse, I… I just can’t explain it, love. Ready? Just as the flower blossoms in the gaze of the shining sun, I would be most honored if you would bear my son. Now I understand it’s shit. I can’t write a fucking poem to save my life. And I want you to know that I’m perfectly aware it sounds like an ode to fertility but it wasn’t meant to be like that. It’s bloody terrible and with you actually pregnant, I feel like such a knob… Please Buffy say something or you can even hit me if you’d like.”

Buffy sat in a daze, her eyes soft, biting her lip. William knew she was just thinking of a way to bust him down painlessly. “Come on, pet, out with it. I’m ready; laugh, mock me.”

“You wrote me a poem.”

“I did and it’s crap.”

“Say it again but without your commentary and use your poet-voice.”

“My what?”

“You know what I’m talking about.”

William swallowed, taken back by Buffy’s genuine interest in the poem. “Alright, I’ll read it again.” He lowered his tone and spoke in the clear, formal voice that he’d perfected in his school days during that brief moment where he dreamed of being a world-famous lyricist.

“Oh desert me, wretched loneliness,
And bring me back my love.
For she and I have parted
And the sky is up above.

“Your limbs so svelte and slender,
Your touch so soft and tender,
But the bit I like best,
Is the bit you keep hidden down deep in your chest.

”Just as the flower blossoms
In the gaze of the shining sun,
I would be most honored
If you would bear my son.”

He looked up from the page, “Was that better, love?”

“You wrote me a poem,” Buffy whispered and dabbed her eyes with a tissue while making her way across the bed. She climbed into his lap and curled up against his chest.

“So it doesn’t sound like I’m stalking you? Or that I’m a dumb male chauvinist asshole?” He asked lightly, while rubbing her back.

“Or that you see me as nothing more than a test tube?”

“Fuck, I didn’t even think of that one. I’m sorry, I just wrote--.”

“I’m kidding. I love it, William. You’re so sweet. You may not be the best poet, baby, but you’re such a good man,” She caressed his face and cooed how much she loved him while covering his face with kisses.
***

“Buffy was living with Joyce. She and the kidnapper were reunited last night at the diner he’s been working at for the past four weeks,” Giles dropped photographs of the couple on the desk. “That was almost too easy, Hank.”

“So they really were working together… that little bitch,” Hank growled as he thumbed through the pictures. “Where are they now? Where’s my money?”

“I’ve got a clue where your money is but they are living in a house not to far from here. One of your employees, Alexander Harris, he’s letting them stay in his family’s basement.”

“He’s fired.”

“Your daughter and the young man make a rather attractive couple, are you certain you want them both dead?”

Hank glared at Giles, “That doesn’t even justify an answer Ripper, and you know it.”

“But Buffy, you’d do much more harm to her if you let her live. You could make her life miserable, especially if you killed the boy. Look at the photographs, she’s very fond of him.”

“You wouldn’t have a problem killing my daughter would you?”

“I practically raised her and I killed four people for her. I taught her how to defend herself, how to shoot, how to fight all the sods you set her up with…”

“And?”

“I’m just watching and waiting for the right time to strike, Hank.”

“Good.”

“And what are you doing about that fool you told me about? What was his name? Finn?”

“Yes, about him, I don’t need him around when this is over. He knows too much.”

“Right, maybe I can use him before I kill him.”

“Be careful though, he’s a fucking moron.”

“Even better.”
***

“You have experience in waiting on people?”

“No, but I’m a fast learner.”

“You could be recognized. Your face is still plastered in the news.”

“I can talk my way off of it,” Buffy ignored William’s muffled laugh as he cleaned behind them.

“Still, it’d be too risky,” Al paused and rubbed his chin. “You can do dishes, right?”

“I can.”

“You’ll be working the same hours as William and if you run out of dishes, you’ll help him.”

“That sounds good. Thank you so much Al,” Buffy flashed a wide smile and leaned across the counter, pecking him on the cheek.

“And I’ll be here during most of your shift counting the money so don’t think you both can slack off. I’ll be keeping an eye on you two.”

“You don’t have to worry about us, Al. I’ll make sure William behaves himself.”
***

“I brought you some gloves. How’s it going so far?” William glanced at the pile of dirty plates and the mound of crusted silverware. “I always hated washing the bloody dishes.”

“Well, I filled the sink with soapy water and that’s about it.”

“I’m still shocked you offered to work, pet. You don’t have to.”

“I want to. Just call me Working Buffy, besides I knew this day was coming sooner or later.” Buffy grimaced and picked up a dish with her bright yellow latex-protected fingers, “So I’m guessing I just drop them in the water, scrub them, then rinse, then dry, right?”

“You’ve only used a machine,” William sounded concerned.

“William, I’ve only watched the maid use a machine.” Keeping her hands busy, she grinned, “Now go back to your cleaning, baby, I’m working here.”
***

“Look at who isn’t working. I’m telling.”

“You wouldn’t dare.”

“I would too dare, but hold that thought.” Buffy ran into the nearest stall, “Do you always write in the bathroom? It’s kinda gross.”

“It’s clean, it’s usually quiet and the boss is rarely willing to check on me in here.”

Buffy flushed and walked over to wash her hands, “Well, he’s gone so you’re safe from my tattling.”

“For now.”

“Yeah.” She walked into the handicapped stall and sat next to William on the floor. “Consider this as my fifteen minute break.” She rested her head on his shoulder and scanned over his writing. “You’re still bringing her back from the dead right?”

“Yeah and I’m still going to have her with Spike.”

“I like Spike. Will she fall in love with him?”

“She’ll feel for him. He knows where’s she’s coming from with the undead connection, that’s what’ll make Spike much more appealing to her.”

“And the sex,” Buffy yawned and wrapped her arms around William’s waist. “The sex will also make him more appealing.”

“Right. Are you feeling alright, pet?”

“I’m fine, just a little tired, that’s all… Even if he loves her, you need to always remember that Spike’s a vampire. No matter what, he doesn’t have a conscience. He’s still evil first, he can’t change that even with the government chip thingy in his head.”

“Oh their affair won’t be all puppies and lollypops. It’ll be angsty.”

“Lollypops?” She giggled and wondered if William would consider their relationship worthy of lollypops.

“Shut up, princess. Tell me what you think… What if Spike raped her?”

“He doesn’t seem like the type, William.” She replied quickly, shocked and in defense of the fictitious man.

“But you pointed out the lack of a conscience--.”

“Fine, but…” Buffy thought for a few minutes, “Oh, what if he stops himself? Let’s say they break off the sexcapades for some reason, that would justify it I guess. He could go to her and be forceful and demanding… but I really don’t think he could do it.”

“You really like him.”

“I do.”

“I want him to get a soul.”

“William, you aren’t going to regurgitate the Angel storyline are you? By the way, I love your choice of character names.”

He snorted at her comment, “Just listen to this and then tell me how it melts your heart. Buffy and Spike have a relationship purely based on lust and using each other. Even if she trusts him to protect her friends and family, she never believes she can personally trust him with her feelings, with her heart… anyway, they shag like bunnies until they break up for reasons undecided. He attempts to rape her but he can’t… something clicks in Spike. He knows he was about to hurt the woman he loves and it scares the shit out of him. So what does he do? He goes to get himself a soul. He goes to get himself a bloody soul, Buffy.”

“How?”

“I’m glad you asked, pet.” William smiled, excited, “He’ll find some sort of boogie man or demony thing that’ll do it, for a price of course. He’ll go through painful trails and all that because it’s what she deserves.”

“Oh…”

“He’ll be a loony for awhile, haunted by the people he’s killed. But it’ll give Buffy a chance to help him…”

“A chance to love him.”

“Yes.”

“Will he be as poofy as Angel was?”

William laughed, amused, hearing Buffy using his choice of words. “No, he won’t be like that poofter. Angel’s soul was a curse. Spike’s soul will be his prize.”

“Oh… that sounds good. If she had any doubts about his love… Ok, I’ll forgive you for thinking my Spike would be capable of becoming a rapist.”

“Your Spike, huh?”

“Yeah, you got a problem with that?”

“Should I be jealous?”

“Well, he does have that accent and he’s sooo good looking and athletic. It’s too bad really, that you don’t have those crosses to bear.” She pulled him in for a kiss before he could say anything, “You write. I have more dishes to wash.”
***

“The doctor called back and we have an appointment for early next week.”

“Oh that’s good,” Buffy yawned and got into bed. “This working thing, I don’t know if I like it. I spent six hours cleaning dishes that people will dirty tomorrow and then I’ll clean them again tomorrow night and they’ll be dirtied again the next day… What a vicious circle,” She groaned and took the cap off her lotion. “How annoying.”

“Let me,” William took the lotion from Buffy. “Off with your top and relax, pet.”

“You’re the best, you know that right?” Buffy moaned as William’s warm, scented hands spread the lotion with stroking motions starting at the base of her back. He moved up to her neck and then retraced his steps, “Don’t be offended if I fall asleep. It just feels so nice.”

“Sleep, Buffy,” he whispered in her ear before kneading her shoulders using his thumb and forefingers. Buffy mumbled incoherently with her face buried into the pillow when he glided over her arms and legs in smooth, circular motions.

She’s changed so much.

William sweep over her body again, a smile on his face.

For the better too, I think.

She was such a spoiled brat when we first met and now… Four weeks apart and she’s everything I dreamed about. Everything I thought I wanted, she is.

He finished caressing her body in a feathery downstroke, knowing that Buffy was sound asleep.

She’s everything to me; she’s all I think about. Dream about. And she knows it… she enjoys it.

Damn, she makes me feel good. I thought I had it bad before but now she’s giving it all back. Every twinkley eyed look, every accidental loving touch… She’s in my gut… in my throat… I’m drowning in her and I don’t want to be saved…
***

“I’m guessing I’d have to be at least four weeks pregnant.”

“That’d makes sense,” William finished his work early and decided to help Buffy with drying the dishes. “If you’re six weeks pregnant then we’d have something to worry about, yeah?”

Buffy cringed, “Angel.”

“But if you’re five then there’d be no doubt. I’m personally hoping for five.”

“Me too.”

“Have you thought of any names?”

“Well,” Buffy scrubbed the dish, deep in thought. “There’s a few people I wouldn’t mind naming the baby after: my mom, Giles… which it’s kinda weird the connection there Mr. William, you guys aren’t related are you? Long-lost twice removed, son of your uncle’s fifth--”

“No, I’m there is no relation. You’d name our child after that bloody—.”

“He wasn’t that bad before he went off to avenge my kidnapping. He was kinda, like my bodyguard, you know? My Mr. Protective Guy. We could have little baby Rupert and--.”

“Rupert? How about Percy or oooh, ‘Grown in some sort of greenhouse for dandies?’ Now that has a nice ring to it.”

Buffy struggled to keep a straight face, “I’ve always liked dandelions.”

William ignored her and continued to rant, “And besides, his job has been filled. I’m Buffy’s Mr. Protective Guy now so he can bloody-well sod off.” He grabbed Buffy and pulled her into his arms, tossing her sponge into the sudsy water causing a splash. “Just like I’m your--.”

Buffy cut him off, kissing him until they both stumbled back into the side of the sink. “How about Anne for a girl?”

“That was my mother’s name.”

“It’s my middle name.”

“Yeah?”

“Yup.”

“That’d be perfect, pet.”

Buffy smiled and nodded, “What about boy names, though? Since Rupert is out of our options…” She unbuttoned his shirt; placing open kisses on his exposed chest. “Would you like a William junior?”

“Buffy,” His body tensed, involuntarily responding to her touches. “You’d better stop now, kitten.”

“Oooh, you’ve never called me that before, I like it.” She chuckled and released the last button, thoughtlessly pushing his shirt off his shoulders, “Al’s gone, William.”

“Ah…” William cleared his throat, “He is but Buffy…”

“I don’t think I can wait until we get home, baby. I want you now. Please?” She unfastened his jeans with ease, pushing her hands in his pants and cupping his ass, “Pretty please?”

William swallowed and licked his lips, his mouth feeling dry suddenly. He held her waist lightly, not pushing her away but not actively participating either. He groaned as Buffy pulled out his cock, making the head peek out of his pants. “It looks like you shouldn’t wait either, feels like it too,” she swirled her thumb in his pearly pre-come, causing William to jump and for his control to shatter.
***

“I can’t understand what they’re saying.” Riley took off his headphones and grabbed the binoculars from Giles’s fingers. “The Buffy I knew wouldn’t be caught dead with a loser like him. He’s nothing, just a cleaner.” His eyes grew wide, “That’s disgusting! I told you he was brainwashing her! I told you! He’s fucking her in a kitchen of a greasy diner! I think I’m going to be sick.”

“Oh settle down and enjoy the show.” Giles picked up binoculars and refocused the lenses. “I think our plan will work out very nicely. Once they’re apart, you’ll take her away--”

“And hopefully it won’t be too late. That bastard.” Riley growled and replaced his headphones only to hear Buffy’s moans and scrabbled words. “She loves him… my ass.”

“Then we’ll turn the tables a bit and offer him a trade. The money for his girlfriend.”

“But he’s not going to get Buffy. I am.”

Giles rolled his eyes, “Sure you are.”

“I want to watch when you shot him and Buffy should see it too maybe it’ll break the hold he has over her.”

“I’ll see what I can do.”

“Are they still going at it? Give me those binoculars.”
***

“This isn’t going to work.” Buffy laughed and tried desperately to hold on. “Next to the sink was too high and the stack of crates wasn’t sturdy enough and now you’re going to drop me.”

“Am not.”

“Are too. Let me go.”

“No.”

“It’ll only take a second and we’ll both feel more comfortable.”

“Or I could just heave you over my shoulder and we could give it a proper go in the car.”

“That would involve getting dressed again and I don’t wanna.”

“How said anything about dressing?” He wiggled his brow suggestively, making her laugh again. “We’ve done worse.”

“Don’t remind me. Let me go, William.”

“But…”

“Don’t pout.”

“Oh all right,” He slipped out her, mourning the loss of their connection and placing her gently on her feet. “Now, what’s your wonderful idea?”

Buffy led him back to the counter next to the sink and slid her shoes on, adding inches to her height. “You stay.” She stood in front of him and picked up his hands, placing them carefully on her body, “We’ll put one here and one here.”

“Buffy--.”

“And then I’ll help you out down here.” She led him to her entrance, bending over slightly before taking him in. “Oh… How’s this working for you?”

“Very well. “ He nipped her ear and brought her closer, “You’re a genius, pet.”
***

“I’ve changed my mind. Working is fun.”

“I knew you’d have a change of heart,” William pushed Buffy back so he could open the door to the basement.

She adapted quickly, moving from kissing his lips from his neck, “God I still want you, hell, I always want you.” She slid her hands under his shirt needing to feel the smoothness of his abdomen. “I love you so much William.”

“And I love you—Xander?”

“You love Xander?” Buffy turned, confused until she saw him sitting on the sofa. “Oh. Xander.”

“Hey guys.”
***