Chapter 4

“According the phone number from the ransom call, they are heading east on I-40.” Riley extended his silver pointer and ran it along the stretch of highway. “The calls were made approximately six hours ago and if they are driving at night, they could already be in Arizona and on their way to New Mexico. I suggest we fly there on the company jet.”

“There is no we and who said that you had any access to the company jet?”

“Mr. Summers, I think it would be in Buffy’s best interest--.”

“I don’t give a damn about Buffy’s interests and as far as I’m concerned the kidnapper can do whatever he wants with my daughter. Why do you care so much about my whore of a child? Is she that good of a lay? Or do you just want the glory of finding her first and your name in all the newspapers? Because I’m not ashamed to say I have hired people to the same job that you so desperately want to accomplish. I’m not giving you a dime if you find her.”

“I don’t want your money, Hank--.”

“That’s Mr. Summers to you.”

“Sorry.” Riley cleared his throat and continued, “Mr. Summers to be perfectly honest, I want to marry your daughter…sure we’ve had some issues in the past but I think if you approved maybe she would give us a second chance.”

Hank looked at the man as if he had lost his mind. “You either have a lot to learn or your dumber than I expected.”
***

“Welcome, welcome.” The game show host jumped in front of the studio audience, smiling and pretending to be humbled by their fanatical applause. “Oh, stop. Stop. Well as you already know you’re watching the game show Perfect Love and I’m your host, Lorne and my lovelies, I shall introduce to you our contestants. William Giles and Buffy Summers!”

Buffy waved to the audience and smiled widely for the camera. “Hi everybody! It’s so nice to be here!”

“Now let’s see or other contestant! Bring him out boys!”

William was confused and afraid as he felt himself being wheeled onto the loud soundstage. What the hell is going on? I’m blindfolded? What am I tied to?

“Now if you’re watching at home for the first time, I’ll explain the rules. William, here, his life is in danger…”

Shit.

“And only Buffy can save his life…”

Shit.

“So now we’ve tied him to a enlarged dart board that will spin and all that Buffy has to do is shoot William in the heart with an arrow…”

Shit.
***

“William.” Buffy peeked over the seat and contemplated throwing her jacket onto his face in an attempt to stop his snoring.

Where are those nose strip thingies when you need one?

“No…no.”

“No, what? William, wake up.”

“She’ll kill me…”

“Great, little Willie’s having nightmares.” Buffy smiled mischievously and wiggled to the edge of the back seat so she could see his face.

Awww, that’s kinda cute, he’s hugging his uniform.

Before Buffy could think about the consequences of her actions, she ran a finger along his arm.

I wonder… She found his hand that was resting on his side and slowly opened his fingers, staring at his face the whole time, hoping he wouldn’t wake.

What would I say? Sorry William, you were sleeping and I wanted to take the opportunity to see if you had dishpan hands?

Buffy rolled her eyes and noticed that William had settled down once she had taken his hand in hers.

Weird. Nice hands though, big and smooth.

“What are you doing?” William took his hands away to rub his eyes. “Why did you let me sleep so long? Damn that was a weird dream.”

Buffy flew back and tired to act calm. “What was going to kill you?”

“Kill me? Was I talking in my sleep? I hate when that happens.” He ran a hand through his hair and sat up still looking groggy. “What time is it?”

“Sixish.”

“My dream was insane, you were in it actually.”

“You were dreaming about me? Ewww. New subject. I so don’t want to hear about your wet dreams.”

“Wet…? It was nothing like that! We were on a game show and--.”

“I’m not listening.” Buffy covered her ears.

“Fine. Let’s change the subject. Why where you touching me when I woke up?”

Caught, crap. Ok, just think of a good excuse. “There was a fly on you so I was…”

“A fly?”

“Yes.”

“You wanted to touch me, pet? All you had to do was ask.”

“Shut up and wipe that smirk off your face.”

***

“Close your eyes, I’m coming up to you.”

“I can’t, I’m driving.”

“No peeking then.” Buffy tumbled into the front seat, making a conscious decision to have her butt away from William’s vision. I don’t need him to look at my ass, especially with the thong… “It feels like we’ve been driving forever. When do we get to shower? I feel icky.” Buffy took off her sweatshirt and threw it in the back seat.

“Don’t we all?”

“And we’re running out of food, well if you want to call Skittles and a melty bag of chocolate covered raisins food to begin with.”

“There’s a truck stop coming up and they have showers and it’s more than likely that it will have a buffet too.”

“Oh. That’s good.”

“Yeah.”
***

“What kind of place is this?” Buffy zipped up her boots and walked across the gravel parking lot. “It’s like another land of buffaloes and real Indian made blankets.” Buffy squinted and looked at the mountain before them. “And there’s plastic animals on the side of the mountain?”

“Love, welcome to your first tourist trap.”

“Trap, eh?”

“Come on let’s look for the showers and I bet we can find some overpriced clothing too. I would love to get out of these clothes.”
***

“Stop laughing.”

“I can’t. I think we’re cursed.” Buffy walked into the shower room with her hands full with towels and toiletries. “Only we would get stuck with a coed shower.”

“There are curtains.”

“Pink curtains that won’t cover either of us from head to toe.”

“You go on one side of the room and I’ll go on the other.”

“But…” Buffy stared wide-eyed at the other people already showering. “But there’s lots of shady looking people in here. At least I know you won’t be accidentally dropping the soap. These truckers aren’t very attractive…”

“Are you saying you need me to protect you?”

“Shut up and stop looking so puffy. I just would rather have you next to me and don’t read more into it or I’ll slap you.”

“Is there more to read into?”

“Shut up.” Buffy walked through the lines of shower stalls and found one in the corner with an open shower next to it. “I’ll use this one and you use that one.”

“Why do you get the one next to the wall?”

“Because I’m the girl.”

“Right.”

Buffy and William both avoided each other’s eyes as they each stepped into their separate stalls.

Ok mate, settle down. Don’t think that she’ll be standing naked and showering a mere foot away. Besides you’ve seen her naked already and it was nothing to write home about.

But that was when I hated her. I don’t hate her any more…I’m dreaming about her…Fuck.

William could see Buffy pulling off her top in the corner of his eye.

This is not going to be easy.

William quickly undressed and turned on the water before Buffy and sighed, relieved that he could close his eyes and not look like a wuss.

No nothing with this girl is easy at all, I reckon.

“Shit!”

“What?”

“I…um, nothing. Just stand there with your eyes closed and we’ll be ok.”

“Buffy…”

“It’s nothing I promise.”
***

Yup, I’m cursed.

Buffy glared at the soap she had dropped that was over on Spike’s side. If I ask him to pick it up, he’ll see me and if I pick it up, I see him.

Ok, I’ll just go down there, keeping my eyes down and then I’ll get my stupid soap.

“Buffy?”

“Huh?”

“Did you drop your soap? Because I think I stepped on it.”

“God…maybe.”

“Are you going to get it any time soon? Because if I slip and fall on my ass…I won’t be happy.”

“Ok, I’ll get it but I’m not looking ok?”

“Of course, why would you be interested in looking at my dangly bits?

“Yeah why?” Buffy crouched close to the bottom of the titled floor and saw her soap next to William’s foot.

“What are you doing?”

“Closing my eyes and trying to grab the soap. Sorry for touching your foot. It’s a nice foot…”

“Why thank you. Now will you get the bloody soap?!”

“Got it. Standing. Sorry.”
***

“Ah, gotta love the clearance rack. I think we can manage buying two outfits apiece.” William looked around the back of the store and pointed at a separate bin. “And there’s pants over there.”

“So you’re going to wear a shirt that says, ‘I love buffaloes?”

“If I must. But look a plain blue shirt.” William held up his prize and smiled. “I think you’ll have to love buffaloes.”

“But you said two outfits.” Buffy stuck out her tongue and pulled out chose a pink and white baseball style shirt with a Route 66 logo. “This is actually cute.”

“It will go great with these. They only have bloody pajamas on sale.” He wrinkled his nose in disgust. “I think I’ll stay in my jeans.”

“You should get at least one pair to sleep in. Here, these are so you. They have little moccasins and tomahawks on them. I can’t believe these come in adult sizes.”

William watched as Buffy went from the rack back to the bin of clothes a few times. “What are you doing?”

“Coordinating colors, duh.”

“Oh forgive me.”

“What size do you wear? Give me that shirt. I’ll find you some good stuff. You look for the food.”
***

“You’re sure about this?”

“Yes, I’m sure it looks great. Let me see.” Buffy stood outside of the stall and stared at her reflection. It was coed bathroom with only one stall and a separate sink. Buffy pulled on the hem of her new shirt.

Cute. She was wearing the snug pink shirt with matching black and pink pajama bottoms and new white rubber flip-flops.

“Do you keep the receipt because…” William stepped out of the stall.

Wow. Buffy looked up and focused on his reflection as he stood behind her. Wow.

“This is way too tight. Isn’t?”

“No, it…it looks really good.”

“But…” William pulled on the form-fitting black shirt and grimaced. “I don’t think this will be comfortable.”

“William, trust me. You look hot.”

“Hot?”

“Yeah.”

“Um…” William looked away embarrassed, “You look nice.”

“Thanks.”
***

“Does everything smell as it should?”

“So far so good.”

William watched as Buffy ate her breakfast, surprised at how young she looked without makeup and in different clothing.

“I’d hate to mention this,” Buffy leaned closer and whispered across the table, “ but should we get a new car?”

“What do you mean?”

“I know it’s your girl but maybe we should ditch it somewhere to throw people off our trail.”

“But we don’t know if anyone is after us. We haven’t heard anything yet. I don’t wanna abandon my car until we have to…”

“I understand. Sorry it was just a thought. I really didn’t want to change cars anyway. It is probably the cleanest car I’ve ever rode in and you were right, the back seat is comfy.”

“Why thank you, love. You’ve been awfully nice today.”

“Almost pleasant?” Buffy asked and smiled, covering her mouth as she ate and spoke, “Even I can’t be bitchy all the time. If I had to spend another hour in my other clothes, I would’ve bit your head off but I’m clean and in new clothes and eating halfway decent food. I’m a happy Buffy.’

“I’m glad to hear it.”

And if a happy Buffy makes him smile like that, maybe I’ll let her out more often. He’s quite handsome and…he’s growing on me.
***

Just a note: If you are following my other stuff, more There's a Place is coming and I'm working on Little by Little. :)