Chapter 2

Spike Giles wasn’t sure if he would ever be able to understand the enigma that was Buffy Summers. She was a total bloody mystery.

Whenever he looked at her, she always seemed so ditzy – a typical valley girl with nothing on her mind except her clothes and her nails. But now and then, he caught glimpses of desolation so deep and desperate that it tugged at his heartstrings like nothing else. Everytime he thought he had her pegged, she somehow managed to up and surprise him.

Another thing that annoyed him was really how little he knew about her. He knew she was Wes’ best friend. That she was blonde and liked karate. And he knew her address having given Wes a ride there occasionally. But other than that, he had been in the same classes as her for almost three years and he was still clueless.

Today, as she ignored his greeting and stalked into his father’s office, he realized that he was actually a little hurt by her brush off. After all, everyone knew that there was only one thing that could pierce the armour of Buffy Summers – Spike Giles.

And he was more intrigued than usual. Buffy never seemed to lose her cool. He knew from experience that the more he prodded and teased, the more she shut down.
Affecting a careless swagger, he walked towards the office, intent on finding out what was wrong with her. Cracking the door open, he was shocked to see her sitting across the desk from his father, a bottle of scotch between them. Deciding he’d find out more if he didn’t barge in, he leant against the semi-closed door and listened.

‘Things bad at home again?’ asked his father, pouring himself another finger of scotch.
Buffy waved her glass under his nose, and watched intently as he poured her some as well.
‘You know how it is’ she replied, ‘there are good days and there are bad days’.
‘She’s still going for her AA meetings?”
“I think so. Sometimes it’s just too hard to tell. She’s always so zoned out’.
‘It will get better. You have to believe that’.
‘So everyone says’, she sighed and downed her drink.
She sat quietly for a few minutes and then said ‘I’m worried Giles, I have to go to L.A for the summer. You know the terms of her custody over me – school year with mom and holidays with dad. And you know that at the first sign of anything damaging he would LOVE to sue her for custody of me’. Putting her glass down, she laughed a little bitterly and continued ‘It’s not as if he actually wants me, he just can’t stand the idea of mom and I being happy without him – it hurts his ego’.
‘Don’t say that, Buffy, your father might not be the best around but he still loves you’ said Giles, sadly.
‘So we’d like to think’ said Buffy, giving him a small smile.
Putting her glass down, she picked up her backpack and stood to leave, ‘Thanks for the pick me up, Giles’
‘Not a problem, my dear, you know you can always come to me’
‘Thank you’.




Spike rested his head against the back of the seat and looked sideways at his father. Giles was completely focused on navigating their way safely home through the post-school traffic. Wes was sprawled in the backseat, his feet up and tapping his fingers to the music that was discretely play through his earphones.

How was it that the two most important people in his life happened to be important to Buffy as well – and he still was no closer to understanding her.
Well, atleast after today’s eavesdropping session he knew a little more than he had.
And what he had learned quite frankly puzzled him. He had been Buffy’s friend – well, at the very least a good acquaintance- for awhile. How had he not known how close she was to his father? How difficult her home life was…It was all cause for reflection. Maybe there really was more to Buffy Summers than hair, make up and nails.

The sharp, shrill sound of his cell phone effectively cut through his thoughts about Buffy. Glancing at the screen, he smiled reflexively and answered.
‘Hello, Princess….’
But for some reason, even when he was chatting to Dru, Buffy Summers continued to buzz through his brain.

Hanging up, he realized that they had pulled into their drive way, he followed his father into the house and decided that he’d ask him about Buffy.
‘So, Dad…’ he started, unsure of how to really broach the topic.
‘Yes?’ asked Giles, quirking an eyebrow at him, Spike felt a sudden surge of fondness for his father – in many ways they were so alike. The eyebrow thing for instance, he remembered how it used to drive his mother mad.
‘I didn’t realize you and Buffy were so close’ he blurted out, instantly wishing he had been more tactful.
‘What do you mean?’ asked Giles, looking surprised.
‘I mean, I noticed that she was in your office for awhile and she looked calmer when she came out – so I assumed she was talking to you’
‘Yes’ said Giles, pulling off his glasses and cleaning them, wondering what on earth had brought on this sudden interest in Buffy. Perhaps William was feeling insecure in his relationship with him?
Aha! Thought Spike, he only cleans his glasses when he’s anxious.
‘Buffy Summers is a nice girl’ said Giles, quietly and firmly, ‘She has a tough life and despite having every right to be a miserable person, she continues to be truly delightful and so full of optimism it astounds me’.
Spike almost growled at his father’s subtle stab at his girlfriend’s character. Rupert Giles did NOT like Druscilla. He was not at all drawn in by her frail exterior – seeing her corseting ways for what they were – manipulation in the hands of a master.
‘Anyway’, Giles continued, ‘like I said, she is a remarkable person and I have a lot of respect for her’.
Spike regarded his father in surprise, until now, he had never discussed Spike’s friends, believing firmly that they were entirely Spike’s business. So to hear him speak so warmly of Buffy was shocking to say the least.

Buffy Summers was becoming more intriguing by the minute.