Author's Chapter Notes:
This idea just came to me and I decided to go with it. I’m aware that something similar has probably been done many times before, but it’s hard to be completely unique in this fandom. Hopefully this is a bit different than every other reunion fiction out there. It’s pretty short, only about three parts long. Thanks to dusty273, Peroxide_dreams, drkdevin, and Bekah Leigh for their help with this one. Also to framedinlove for the gorgeous manip that was used for my banner=)
Chapter 1

“Hey, Anne, did you see the major hottie that just walked in? A guy that good looking should seriously be illegal.”

The brunette rolled her eyes, used to her co-worker’s bluntness by now, but it never stopped getting on her nerves. Anne glanced over to the table where said hottie was sitting. He had dark hair, and what looked to be some expensive suit, but other than that, she couldn’t find anything all that impressive about him. His back was to her, so she couldn’t make out his face. She took a deep breath and headed in his direction, pad and pen in hand; putting on a fake smile once she approached him. “So, what can I get you today?”

“How about some answers? Like why a beauty such as yourself is working in a dump like this.”

She glanced up at the familiar voice, shock taking over her features at the man she never thought to see again. “Spike?”

He grinned. “Buffy, or is it Anne now?”

She placed her hand over her nametag, not knowing exactly what to say. “You’re not blond,” was the first thing to come out of her mouth, cringing at how lame that sounded.

Spike chuckled. “The same could be said about you, but that doesn’t exactly answer my question. Last I saw, you were living the life in Italy with the bloody Immortal, now I find out that you’ve been living in San Diego this whole time. Want to explain that to me, love?”

Buffy felt anger take over. “I don’t have to explain anything to you. I hear that you’ve been alive for a year now, came back only nineteen days after we destroyed the Hellmouth. And yet you didn’t care to let me know that you weren’t dead, so why should I tell you anything?”

He nodded. “All right, I deserve that. I think we have a lot to talk about, pet. What do you say we do that somewhere else?”

She let out a sigh. “I get off in a half an hour if you want to wait till then. I guess we can go to my place.”

Spike nodded. “Well, I better keep myself busy then. I’ll take a burger with everything on it, plate of fries on the side, and a black coffee. Have a bit of an appetite these days.”

She made a note of his order, then headed toward the kitchen. Buffy thought about what Spike said, then realized he walked into the diner in broad daylight, no blanket to protect himself from the deadly rays. She supposed that was one of the things they would be talking about later.


* * * * *


Buffy had Spike’s food in her hands, stopping at the sight of Lisa sitting across from him, blatantly flirting. She rolled her eyes at the display, that girl made Faith look like a nun. Once she got closer to the table, she could make out some of the conversation.

“So, if you’re not doing anything later, maybe we could hook up or something. You look to be new in town, I could show you around.”

Buffy tried not to let the fact that Lisa practically thrust her breasts in his face bother her, or the fact that Spike was very obviously checking them out.

He broke out of his daze at the arrival of Buffy, putting on a somewhat shy expression. “Sorry about that, ducks. I already made other plans.”

Lisa pouted and stood up, writing something down on a napkin and handing it to him. “Here’s my number if you change your mind,” she said with a wink, then walked away.

Buffy slammed the burger down in front of Spike, putting the coffee beside it as she gave him a smile. “Are you interested in any dessert? She’s not on the menu, though.”

Spike could tell that she was jealous, and felt a little thrilled by that. “No, this will be fine.”

Buffy nodded and was about to walk away, but his voice stopped her.

“You look really good, pet.”

Buffy knew that was a lie. She was a mess. No make up, hair all in a messy ponytail, but she just gave him a small smile and headed back to the kitchen.


* * * * *


“I get that you have a chance at a normal life now, with all those other Slayers around. What I don’t get is why you’re here, and why you’re going by Anne. I heard about that summer after you sent Angelus to Hell. It looks like you’re just repeating it all over again.”

Buffy stopped to stare at him. “There’s more going on, Spike. You don’t know what I’ve been through the last year, I had to get away. Giles has been a big help, he set decoy Slayers up all over the world pretending to be me. Making sure that nothing evil would know I was here. I may not be the only Slayer anymore, but I still have a lot of enemies out there. I’ve built a life here with Dawn; she’s the only one I’ve been keeping in contact with. She wouldn’t listen when I told her not to come with me, but now I don’t know what I would have done without her.”

Spike nodded as they started walking again. “Okay, I can understand that to an extent, but you’re not the type to hide from evil.”

Buffy took a deep breath when they finally made it to her apartment building, remaining silent all the way up to her floor. When they finally reached her door, she turned to look at him. “It’s not just me that I’m worried about anymore.”

Spike didn’t know what she was getting at as he followed her into the apartment, meeting the somewhat angry face of Dawn. She had really grown in the last year.

“Well, look what the cat dragged in,” she said to Spike, then turned her sister. “What is he doing here?”

“Don’t start, he showed up at the diner. We have a lot of catching up to do.”

Dawn rolled her eyes, anything else she would have said was cut off by the sound of a baby crying. “I’ll get him,” she explained, making her way into the back room and closing the door.

Spike spoke up once she was gone. “I think it’s starting to make more sense to me now. Dawn has a baby? Is that why you needed to hide? You think demons would come after her because she’s the Slayer’s sister?”

Buffy shook her head, smiling when Dawn came back into the living room, a small bundle in her arms.

“He’s a bit fussy; I think he just wanted Mommy.”

Buffy took the baby out of Dawn’s arms, rocking him back and forth.

Spike’s eyes widened when the infant immediately calmed down, Dawn’s words coming back to him about the baby needing his mother. “Bloody hell.”