Nothing was working. Not the warm milk she drank two hours ago, or the 2,335 sheep jumping over a fence and certainly not the feel of Spike's toes pressed against her leg. The room was hot. She couldn't get comfortable. It was obvious that sleep just wasn't going to come. At least not any time soon.

If only…

Giving up, Buffy struggled to a sitting position as she decided that Spike was going to have to give a little. She sighed as loud as she could, hoping it might wake him. It didn’t. He was still sleeping like the dead with his limbs sprawled across the bed. His bed hogging left her with only a few inches to hold onto. What happened to the days when he would hug himself while clinging to the edge of the sarcophagus so she would have more room?

“Let a vamp move in with you and he just thinks he doesn’t have to be a gentleman anymore,” she fumed, yanking the covers off him. The sight of naked Spike took the edge off her temper as she licked her lips without a conscious thought. “Stop it,” she muttered when she caught herself looking at his erect penis resting against his taut belly. “That’s how you got this way.”

Deciding she couldn’t wait anymore, she poked a well-manicured finger into the fleshy curve of his butt. No reaction. She did it again a little harder. Still nothing.

“Spike,” she whined, patting his shoulder. “Wake up.”

He muttered in his sleep, but he didn’t awaken.

"That's it," she said, shaking him with probably a little too much force. It did the trick.

“Huh? What happened?” He rolled onto his side so that he was facing her, but he didn’t open his eyes. “Buffy, you okay?”

“No, I’m not.”

Still with eyes closed, Spike placed his hand on her stomach. Fingers spread to cover as much of the bulging area as possible. Finally, he shifted so that his face was next to her side. “Listen you, your mum needs her sleep. So cut it out, tiny bit, and go to sleep.”

Irritated that he was ignoring her, Buffy grabbed him by his hair to pull his head back. “It’s not the baby. Maybe it’s me. You know the one who is carrying your child.”

“Let go,” he growled. “That hurts.”

Buffy’s eyes sprang open that he would have the audacity to complain about anything. “Oh, do not even go there. You do not even know what pain is until you have a kicking, rolling little Spike shoved inside your belly that makes your feet swell and upsets your stomach so that you puke at all hours and…”

“Please don’t mention the hemorrhoids again, luv, you might never get preggers again,” Spike said, sitting up with a grimace on his face.

She glared at him. "Maybe I don't want you to get me pregnant again."

Looking defeated he asked, “What do you need? Feet massaged? Ice cream?” He threw his hands out. “How can I make you feel better since I’m the one who did this to you?”

Hating her hormones and for the moment him, tears sprang to Buffy’s eyes. “Don’t make fun of me. If you don’t like it here…then just leave. I’ll be fine.” She wasn't being fair, but she was miserable and he was acting as if she was just complaining to complain. It wasn't fair!

“Aww Buffy. I’m sorry.”

She wasn't sure if he was serious or just saying what he thought would diffuse her. He looked frustrated so she decided it was the second.

“Go back to sleep,” Buffy said, rolling out of bed. “I’m going to go downstairs and watch a movie or something.”

Halfway to the door, she felt Spike behind her, and before she could react, he was there, wrapping his arms around her and burying his face in her neck. “I love you, slayer. Stay.”

He spoke with so much depth that it melted everything away. “I love you, too. I’m sorry I’m such a bitch.” She sobbed. “I couldn’t sleep, and…”

“And I was being a bad, rude man by sleeping…”

“Shut up,” she whimpered. “I wasn’t mad because of that.”

"What is it then?”

“You weren’t holding me,” she admitted, feeling every bit as foolish as her complaint.

Spike froze. His hands dropping away as he walked around to look at her with incredulous eyes. “I wasn’t holding you? And that’s why you woke me up being all bitchy?”

She nodded.

“Why didn’t you just snuggle up to me? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve never pushed you away.” His brows knitted as his head tilted. “Have I?”

She shook her head as she felt her lips tremble. “I just wanted to know that it was me you were holding and not some young nubile slayer who can still fight and doesn’t waddle or…”

“Shush,” Spike cupped her face. “I love you. Not dreaming about anyone but you because I’ve never seen you look more beautiful than you do carrying my child.”

Buffy wanted to scoff. She wanted to tell him that his words, even as sweet as they were, came too late to do any good. Instead, she started bawling, holding her arms out so that he would hold her. He came, wrapping his arms tight around her despite the girth of her stomach. It was exactly what she needed.

“I love you,” she whispered, finally feeling better.

“I know.” He kissed her cheek. “Come on. Let’s go to bed.”

“Okay.”

He led them back to their bed, waiting until she settled on her side before he climbed in so he was spooning her. His hand came around to cover hers where it rested over their child. She sighed in contentment. This was perfect. It was what she needed, her little family all together as one.

"Better?"

"Yeah," she said softly. "Absolutely wonderful."

It didn’t take long until the contentment was seducing her into sleeping. Their son was already resting, lulled by his parent's quieting. Spike's breath floated over her throat in a gentle rhythm that spoke of his own almost slumber. Her eyes drifted shut as the night continued and the last thing she heard before she succumbed was Spike's whispered, "love you."

~~~The End~~~