Author's Chapter Notes:
This is finished and will be posted 2 chapters every night.
“Heart rate’s dropping!”

“We’re gonna lose her!” Doctors and nurses scurried around the badly beaten body as they fought to keep the patient from flat-lining in front of them.

Buffy Anne Summers, age 29, hovered over her body as the doctors and nurses worked frantically to keep her heart beating while they tended to her other more serious injuries, such as the piece of glass currently sticking out of her thigh.

“C’mon, you idiots! It’s not that fucking hard to make someone’s heart beat! Get the damn piece of glass out of my leg! You can’t leave it there! Make me live again! No! What the hell are you doing…sheet stays down!” Buffy grumbled from her place hovering over her sheet-covered body.

“Disturbing, isn’t it?”

Buffy nearly toppled out of the air as she registered the scrawny man beside her. Dressed in an odd suit and fedora he was not how she expected an angel to look, whatsoever.

“A-are you an angel?” Dumb question, yes, but she felt the need to ask anyway. It wasn’t like she’d killed anyone so it was unlikely she would be heading down below to Hell. A little lying and cheating on taxes never hurt anyone, did it?

The little man laughed. “Heavens no, child. My name’s Whistler and I’m more of a demon than anything but that’s not the point. Look, I’ve been sent to watch over you and guide you a bit. The big guy upstairs doesn’t really want you up there right now…”

“I’m going to hell, aren’t I?” She spared a glance to her body and the doctors practically dancing on her chest trying to start her heart back up. “Is it because I fired Willow?”

“Well…that’s not entirely it but the big guy wants to give you a second chance. A chance to make things right…you kind of fell off the bandwagon and he wants you to fulfill your destiny. A lot of lives rest on your decision right now and if you choose to well…not live then…it wouldn’t be good. He’s giving you the chance to fix some of your mistakes. ” The little sort-of demon waited for her response a moment before giving her a good poke in the side when she didn’t answer.

“I-I have a choice whether to live or die then?” She waited rather impatiently for the little demon to answer as she tapped her designer heel on the air.

“Technically…yes. Right now your body is in stasis which is why they can’t figure out why you’re technically registering as being alive but your heart rate won’t rise any further. I can make you live again or we can float on out of here. It’s really your choice though but…I think you should do it. That’s just me though. Make your own decision. No hurry, really, your heart should keep beating on its own for the next…” Whistler checked his watch unhurriedly, “Twenty minutes or so.”

“Well, do it already. Make me live!” Buffy gestured to her nearly nude body on the table as the demon glanced between her and the many doctors surrounding the body. “I don’t want to die!”

“Are you sure? Once we do this there’s no going back. No blaming me for having to change and just as a warning if you don’t, you’ll be on the path to hell and your destiny will never be fulfilled. I’ve been sent to help you find your way Ms. Summers and I fully intend to keep my end of the bargain. Are you?” He tipped his fedora back slightly as he watched the recognition flicker in her hazel eyes.

“I don’t want to go to hell so yes I’ll agree to whatever terms you and the ‘big guy’ came up with. Just do it already!” She glared at the floppy haired demon as his bright blue eyes shimmered slightly and before she knew it she was back in her body as the anesthesia kicked in and she was out.

16 hours later

Buffy awoke to bright lights as a fresh-faced young man hovered over her, poking her arm regularly as he checked the various machines surrounding her. Finding herself unable to speak, she settled for glaring at the young man and briefly wondered if he was even old enough to shave, let alone drive a car.

“Oh! Miss Summers, you’re awake! I’ll just go get Dr. Stevenson and he can explain everything to you.” The blonde boy bounced his way out of the room and was soon replaced with the doctor she recognized as the one shouting orders earlier while she had talked to her little demon.

Speaking of little demon, where is he?

Her musing was interrupted by the little demon’s presence next to her on the bed. He was dressed to the nine’s in his designer suit but with his tattered fedora still adorning his little head.

“You called Princess?” Whistler leaned back onto her pillows as he waited.

“Don’t call me that. It’s Buffy, Elizabeth or Ms. Summers. Understand?” She practically growled at him.

Unfazed, he glared right back at her. “That’s the precise attitude that landed you in between heaven and hell. You don’t care about how you come across to everyone else. It only matters what precious Buffy wants, what Buffy needs. That’s the exact thinking that made poor William leave your sorry ass.” When he noticed tears flicker across her eyes, he paused. “Truth hurts, don’t it? See I know you aren’t the heartless bitch your employees think you are. William leaving you hurt and it hurt bad which is why you act invincible. How many people showed up after your car accident?” He paused again. “One. Your mother. Sweet loving Joyce could never accept that you were simply ignoring her phone calls so she kept calling every week hoping to talk to you. She called everyday for the past three years and you told your secretary to tell her you were out of the office. Face it Buffy, there’s no one left for you and if you keep up this attitude…you’re going straight to hell princess.”