Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks again 4 the reviews!! I love them and all you lovely readers!! :) And apparently a few of you want Riley gone. (Believe me, I understand that! I always hated Riley on the show.) Well this is gonna be the last chapter with him in it. I used him for a little while and he helped Buffy and Spike get closer, but say Goodbye, Iowa because farm boy won't be making another appearance in the story after this chapter is through! Hope everyone likes this one!!! Enjoy :)
Buffy awoke with a smile on her face, even though her alarm clock gave her quite a rude awakening. She slammed her hand down on the red device and quieted the racket. She had set it for ten thirty, so she got enough sleep, but she still didn’t want to go to lunch. Oh well, best to just get it over with.

Buffy climbed out of her comfy bed and headed toward the bathroom. On the way out, she noticed the flowers Spike had given her hanging upside down near her window. She walked over with a soft smile playing on her lips and then an idea hit her.

Buffy grabbed her camera and took a black and white photo of the small, broken bouquet. The lighting was perfect and the look of them hanging upside down with the ribbon tying them together just made an exquisite picture.

She set her camera back down on the chest of drawers and went to take a shower.

***

It was noon when Spike woke up. After lying in his bed for about five minutes with a stupid grin on his face placed there by the previous evening, he remembered. The smile was replaced by a frown as he recalled the argument he had with Buffy.

The bleached teen threw the sheets off his body and went to the bathroom to take a shower, one where he only succeeded in further fueling his frustration. The fifteen minutes he had under the spray of water let his mind wander, and that did not help in this situation.

Why does she have to go, he thought. She should have just told Riley to bugger off. It would have been easier for both Spike and Buffy. Buffy wouldn’t have to deal with that wanker, and Spike wouldn’t have to worry about her. Well, worry about her anymore than he naturally did. He felt very protective of the girl. Just the thought of her getting hurt again made his stomach turn into knots and his blood boil.

Spike angrily pulled on his jeans. He was just so bloody distraught. He couldn’t help the feeling that something would go wrong at lunch. He knew he was probably being paranoid but there was this feeling in his gut. Ya know, that feeling of impending doom you get when you’re girlfriend is going to have lunch with her abusive ex?

When Spike slicked his hair back he almost tore out some of the bleached locks. Taking a deep breath he looked at himself in the mirror.

“Get a grip, mate. She. Will. Be. Fine.” He stressed the last word with feeling.

Spike knew he couldn’t show up there, Buffy would kill him. And he knew he couldn’t spy on her, with his luck she was sure to find out anyhow. He was just one over worried boyfriend. The restaurant was in the middle of town and there were always people around. He knew she would be okay, and yet there was a stupid little voice inside his head that kept throwing in the word “but” whenever he told himself Buffy wouldn’t be hurt.

Spike threw on an old gray T-shirt and changed into his light blue, work jeans. The best thing he could do when he was distressed about something was work on his cars. He knew they were in mint condition, but he could probably find something to perfect. Hell, he HAD to in order to get rid of this stress.

On his way to the garage Spike grabbed a bowl of cereal and quickly inhaled it. He went to poor himself a glass of juice when he remembered that he’d asked Buffy to keep her cell phone with her when she left. He took a look at the clock on his phone and realized she would be at Penny’s by now. The blonde couple had exchanged numbers the night before, so Spike decided he’d call, just to hear her voice.

***

Buffy looked down at her phone to check the time when it started ringing. She didn’t even see the name before she flipped the phone open. “Hello?”
“Hello, cutie.”
She smiled at the familiar voice. “Spike. Hi. What’s goin on?”
“Just checkin up on my girl. You alright?”
She smiled. He was worried about her. “I’m fine, Spike. Riley hasn’t even showed up yet. He texted me saying he was gonna be late so I’m just sitting at Penny’s, waiting.”
“It’s twelve thirty, how late is the git supposed to be?”
“Don’t know. He said he wouldn’t be long, just needed to drop his little sister off somewhere.”
“What about the parents?”
“I guess they’re busy.”
“Wanker doesn’t even have the decency to show up on time…” Spike mumbled.
Buffy heard him and smiled as she asked perkily, “Miss me?”
“… Maybe.”
“Maybe?” She asked with mock hurt coating her voice. “You don’t miss me?”
Spike could actually hear her pout through the phone. “That depends…”
“On?”
“You gonna tease me if I say yes?”
“… Maybe.”
“Not helpin, pet.”
“Well… I miss you too. Does that help?”
“I never said it.”
“But I know you’re gonna.”
“Cheeky, pet.”
“Well if you don’t miss me then… maybe I shouldn’t come over later. I wouldn’t want to bug you-”
“I miss you!”
“Awwwwww! How sweeeeet!” Buffy squealed, making sure to emphasize her girly tone of voice.
He groaned. “I bloody well knew you’d tease me.”
“Well… duh.” She stated matter-of-factly.
“You never miss an opportunity, do you?”
“Again with the duh.”
He sighed happily. “That’s part of what I like about you, kitten.”
“Did I mention I love that nickname?”
“I’ll be sure to remember that. So, you still comin by after… lunch?” He spat the last word.
“That depends.”
“On?”
“Do you want me to?”
“Bloody hell.” He muttered. “Yes! I want you to.”
Buffy laughed a little. “Okay. After lunch I’ll come over.”
“Alright love. So, did-”
“Oh! Sorry Spike, Riley’s here. Gotta go!”
Spike sighed. “Bye, pet.”
“Bye.”
“See you-” *Click* “-later.”

Spike closed his phone and then remembered…

There was a punching bag in the basement.

***

The Riley lunch had gone by in a simple, albeit boring, hour. Buffy’s ex had apologized profusely and said he was getting help. Apparently his friends had talked with his dad and they all did sort of an intervention thing.

Riley wanted there to be as little weirdness between Buffy and himself as possible, and by the end of the meal, things felt… kind of comfortable.

Still, she left the table with a weight lifted off of her shoulders, she was no longer frightened, but she would always be cautious. And even though she had accepted Riley’s apology, Buffy made sure to stress that they would never ever be a couple again. EVER. Thankfully, Riley completely understood and promised to never approach her again on the subject.

After the awkwardness was out of the way, well as much as was possible, they enjoyed lunch for exactly thirty two minutes. Buffy, out of politeness, tried very hard not to show her eagerness to leave. She was thinking about Spike every other minute and really wanted to go. After sneakily inhaling her salad and turkey club, she gave Riley a thank you and a hand shake. Things were finally resolved.

As Buffy walked home she realized how normal and polite her ex had been. She remembered Riley acting like that at the beginning of their relationship. She understood now that it was pretty scary what alcohol could do to a person. And she also figured there was probably a lot more to Riley’s story, but for once, she really didn’t want to know what she didn’t... know. If that made any sense.

When the blonde approached her block, she headed straight for Spike’s house, knowing how freaked he had been about the whole Riley meal. She approached the door and went to ring the bell but when she leaned on the door, it swayed open. Buffy frowned. Might as well just go in.

Buffy made her way to the kitchen and called out for Spike. There was no answer. She walked passed a door and heard music, or what she imagined what supposed to be music, blaring behind it. She slowly opened the door and crinkled her nose when the sound got abruptly louder. “Spike?! Are you down there?!” She called out, but again no answer. Given, the music was so damn loud he wouldn’t have heard her anyway.

Buffy walked down the staircase and stopped dead at the bottom.

Completely oblivious to the loud racket pounding in her ears anymore, Buffy’s jaw hit the floor. The sight before her had her drooling. There was a VERY shirtless Spike beating the crap out of a punching bag. The light blue jeans he had on were ripped, yet still tight in all the right places. He had little white strips covering his knuckles and his profile was just breathtaking. His body was shiny with sweat and every muscle beneath his skin danced in beautiful movement with his punches. His hair was slicked back and his abs looked like… well, a Greek God’s. Buffy only had one coherent thought go through her head: That man is MINE!

To say that she was taken aback by this Brit‘s beauty would have been a HUGE understatement! She hid behind the staircase to continue watching him uninterrupted. He was just so damn sexy! She felt heat racing through her entire body. Was it possible to die of a heart attack because your boyfriend was so hot? If it was, she’d be feeling shooting pains up and down her left arm any minute now.

When Spike finally stopped punching the heavy bag and grabbed his water bottle to gulp its entire contents, Buffy tensed up. She should really just tell him she was there…

Spike paused, panting heavily as he looked around the basement. He could swear someone was watching him. When his nose caught the slight scent of apple, he knew his girl was around somewhere. She had different smells, all delectable and feminine, but each of them was laced with that unique scent that was Buffy.

Spike removed his hand wraps and went to the radio and shut off the CD he had playing. Then, he turned around and scanned the room. “Get out here.”

Buffy sighed and walked out from behind the staircase and boxes she’d been using as a wall. “How’d you- Whoa!”

Before she could finish, Spike had her in a tighter than tight hug. Then he attacked her lips with a fiery kiss. She tried to wrap her arms around his neck but was unable to move due to his muscular arms preventing all physical abilities that didn’t involve her mouth. Honestly though, she was enjoying the kiss too much to really care.

He finally pulled away from her mouth, but his lips were still busy placing smooch after smooch against her face.
She giggled. “Spike?”
“I missed you.”
“Well NOW someone doesn’t seem too worried about getting teased.”
“You’re with me. I can tease back.”
“Ah. I see.” She sighed contentedly as Spike trailed down her neck with nibbles and kisses. “Um... I can’t really move my arms, sweetie.”
Spike pulled back and looked at her face. “Huh?”
Buffy wriggled in his grasp. “You’re holding me kinda tight.”
“Oh!” He let go abruptly. “Didn’t hurt you did I?”

Buffy had to laugh at that.

He arched a brow. “Something funny?”
“You! You’re always worried about me getting hurt. Which is sweet, believe me, but I’m fine! You really have to relax a little bit, Spike.” She placed a quick kiss against his lips.
“Can’t help it. Don’t expect it to stop, pet.”
“I wouldn’t want it to. Just try to relax a little, for yourself.” She smiled.
Spike returned her grin and intertwined their fingers. “So how was lunch? Everything okay?”

Buffy couldn’t resist. In the most nonchalant voice she could muster, she answered her boyfriend conversationally. “Oh, well when I asked Riley about his drinking he smacked me, but after that-”
“What?!” Spike grabbed Buffy’s arms and pulled her close. “He touched you?!”

Buffy couldn’t stifle her giggle. “You’re too easy.”
His face didn’t relax for a second but his voice lowered to a confused calm. “What?”
“Joking here, Spike.”

Spike exhaled and relaxed. His face held nothing but relief at first, but then annoyance quickly took over. He let go of Buffy. “What the bloody hell was that for?!”
“Couldn’t help myself.” She continued giggling.
“Buffy, I was ready to go kill the bastard! You nearly gave me a sodding heart attack!”
She couldn’t help but smile even wider. “Aw, but you’re just so cute when you’re all big protector guy! I couldn’t help myself.”
“Christ it feels weird when your pulse goes from normal to 200 in less than two seconds.” He cocked his head and narrowed his eyes accusingly at the blonde in front of him.

Buffy pouted and averted her eyes. “Sorry…”

Spike smiled. She sounded like a three year old who had just gotten in trouble, and that damned lip… “Ooh, pouty. Look at that lip… gonna get it, gonna get…” And with that, their lips interlocked for yet another fervent kiss.

When the couple parted for air, Spike said something that had Buffy’s curiosity peaked. “So. Wanna try somethin new?”
“… Um, sure?”
“Don’t worry, love. S’nothin bad. It’ll be fun, I promise.”
“Last time you said that I almost got my hand wretched off.”
Spike frowned at that and Buffy immediately regretted bringing up her injury. They both knew she wasn’t blaming him for anything and her hand wasn’t that messed up, but sure enough, Spike took her wrist to check it over. “Forgot about this. D’you put ice on it?”
“Yes, Spike. I put ice on it. It’s fine now. I’m sorry I mentioned it.”
“It’s bruised.”
“Just a little. I’ll be okay.”

Spike continued eyeing her hand, frown still in place, and after a minute Buffy started to feel fidgety. “What were you talking about a second ago? What’ll be fun?”
Spike smiled and released her hand with a kiss. “Ever ride a motorcycle?”

Buffy’s eyes bulged. “What?”
“Ever ride a-”
“No! I- I heard you and no, I haven’t. And I am so, SO not going to!”
Spike smirked and Buffy had to take a step away from him in order to feel a little bit more in control of herself; more specifically her hormones.

“Why not?”
“Why- Are you kidding me?! Those things are-”
“Fun.”
“-deadly! I’m not getting on a motorcycle Spike!”
Her boyfriend tilted his head and pouted. “Why not? Don’t you trust me?”
He so did not just pull out that question! “Yes, but those things are dangerous!”
“C’mon, pet. I used to ride em all the time back in Chicago and now I’ve got one here. I know what I’m doin on a bike.”
“No. See, that’s where you’re wrong. A bike has turning pedals, baskets attached to the handle bars, a- and possibly pegs. BIKES do NOT go up to seventy miles an hour!”
“I won’t let you fall off, sweetheart.”
His eyes did a fluttery, blinky thing as he smiled and tilted his beautiful face once again. He almost had her giving in, but she shook her head to avoid possible swooning.
“What if you lose control or- or someone hits you. We could get in a- an accident or- anything! It isn’t safe. I- I don’t feel comfortable-”
“You’ll love it, I’m positive. And I most CERTAINLY won’t let anything happen to you. I promise you that.”

The last of his words were said with such conviction Buffy felt her resolve slipping again. She did trust him, solely and completely. But motorcycles had always given her the wiggins. She just wasn’t sure if she was ready. “Sp- Spike, I… I’m…”
“You’re what?” He asked, taking a step closer to her.

“Scared.”
“Buffy, look at me.”

Buffy turned her head up to meet his gaze. “You don’ have to be scared. I just wanna take you for a spin, yeah? Can you trust me?”
“I do trust you.”
“Then take a risk.”

The girl chewed on her lower lip for a minute.

Spike took her hands in his and pulled them up to his chest. “Pidge?”

She nodded. “Okay.”


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews please??? [cue the begging!] *puppy dog eyes* (and I know some of you may not agree on the whole 'alcohol changes people' thing but I've learned through experiences that it does affect some the way I had it affect Riley, so please no bashing) Also, I was SOOOO tempted to have Spike put a hand drawn picture of Riley on the punching bag but... I always kinda felt that spotlight belonged to Angel *grins!*