Author's Chapter Notes:
OKAY, had a lot of time today so here is #18 as well! Be sure to read 17 first cuz I posted em both today! Hope you like!
Spike handed Buffy her milkshake and burger from the bag. He still couldn’t stop grinning. It was just so… fun to see his kitten release her claws like that. Who knew she could get so snarky. And she did it the whole time with a smile on her face.



As they sat eating and talking, the topic of the circle came up. “So pet, how would you like to come meet a few friends of mine? See me race?” Spike asked while taking a large bite of his burger.



Buffy stopped sipping her milkshake and turned toward the bleached boy with a frown. “You want me to meet your friends?”

“Course. Why wouldn’t I?” He tilted his head.



“No reason.” She munched on her burger while Spike stared at her. “Schu thnk thal like meh?” Buffy spoke while furiously chewing her meal.



Spike understood her without a problem, which was strange considering she had a mouth full of food. “They’ll love you, Summers.”

She swallowed. “Well…” She smiled suddenly, and hugged him. “I’d love to meet em! Aaaaand I really wanna see you race.” She pulled away to look into his bright blue eyes.



Spike grinned. “Wanna see me in action huh, love?”

“Very much so, yes.” She smiled again, succeeding in sending Spike’s heart a flutter.

“Maybe we can even see about lettin you do a test drive, hmm? There are some pretty nice cars out where we’re headed an-”

“Oh no! Very bad idea. Buffy and cars are like… unmixy things."

Spike stared at her incredulously. “You don’t know how to drive?”

She scrunched her face adorably. “Fraid not.”



Spike rolled his eyes at the irony. His girlfriend didn’t drive. What kind of joke was that to play on a (hopefully) future racecar driver? “Have you at least tried?”

“Well, I took the class… and attempted it many times.” She pouted pitifully. “I just can’t seem to… get cars to work properly for me. Like I said… we don’t mix.”

Spike muttered to himself. “This is just fantastic.” What were the guys at the circle going to think? They’re going to die laughing, that’s what they’ll do, Spike thought.



Buffy studied her boyfriend. This was really sort of a problem for him. Well, she figured she could understand. Spike did want to race cars professionally when he got older, and he drag raced now. Walking around with a girlfriend who didn’t know a THING about cars would be pretty embarrassing. Hell, Buffy wasn’t even really interested in them. She’d loved riding on the bike, but she never thought about cars much, negatively or positively.



She considered Spike again. He shouldn’t care, should he? What about all the stuff they’d told each other back in the woods? Didn’t that mean something? Hadn’t Spike been telling her the truth? Suddenly feeling like she might cry, Buffy bit her lip as hard as she could. I’m not gonna cry over this. I am not!



She tossed the thought of trying to learn more about cars and racing around in her head. She didn’t hate the plan, and she’d do it for Spike. But Buffy would never be able to drive. That was something she was sure of, cars HATED her! She could at least learn more information on them, though, right?



“Spike… I- I could try to learn more about this stuff if you’d like me to. I mean, I don’t think I’ll EVER be able to drive a car without breaking something but… I could learn more about racing and stuff. If you’d teach me? I- I mean, if you… WANT to.”



Spike faced Buffy and immediately hated himself. She looked like she was biting her lip so hard it would bleed. He’d already learned that when she did that, she was usually contemplating something or trying to stop herself from crying. Knowing that the latter was the reason for it right now, the Brit quickly pulled his girlfriend into a hug. When he pulled away he lightly cupped the back of her head before speaking with newfound resolve.



“Okay, listen to me. Don’t worry about a thing with this, Buffy. Not gonna lie, it’s sort of a shocker. I mean I figured you weren’t the type a bird to get super excited over cars, but I at least thought you drove. HOWEVER, I don’ care.” He pressed a kiss to her forehead before continuing. “Now, I know I’m gonna get teased unmercifully about this, but having a girlfriend who doesn’t know a thing about cars and can’t drive… doesn’t matter to me as long as that girl is you.”



He smiled when she gave him a relieved grin. “And if you wanna learn about cars and whatnot, I’d love to teach you. But I don’t want to force something that doesn’t interest you down your throat. You understand me, pet?”



She nodded before responding. “I do.” She leaned in and pecked him on the lips. She was relieved. He cared about the car issue, but he didn’t care about it more than he did her. Suddenly she felt a little stupid. She was human-Buffy, and it shouldn’t matter if she didn’t know a lot about vehicles. She sure as hell planned on learning about racecars and stuff, though. But gradually, not rushed or anything. She’d learn whenever Spike talked about cars, the thing that made his eyes sparkle, the thing that once he started on, he couldn’t stop.



“And I do wanna learn. I’ll let you teach me just... over time. Ya know like, when I ask questions, you answer. No pressure. And when you go off on a tangent talking about racing or something, I’ll listen.” Spike smiled again. He felt like he was always smiling with this girl.

“Alright, kitten. Sounds good.”



She pointed a finger at him. “Just don’t try to get me behind the wheel. You’ll end up regretting it BIG time.”

The boy leaned in to take Buffy’s hand and dropped a light kiss on the tip of her finger. “Whatever you say. Sooner or later though, I will have to take a look see at your driving skills.”

“Spiiiiiike.” She whined. “They’re wretched!”

His lips quirked. “’Wretched’ you say?”

She rolled her eyes before deciding to play along. “Yes! Wretched, ghastly, frighteningly grotesque!”



“That’s quite dreadful, love.”

“Well, that describes my driving skills.” She shrugged.



“So will you come with me to the circle on Friday?”

“I know you told me the name of the place was ‘the circle’ when you first mentioned it, but just curious, why is it called that?”

“The whole lot is the size of one giant circle. So, will you come?”

“I already said I’d love to! This Friday?”

“This Friday.”

“Okay, sounds great!” She smiled again and went to sip her milkshake. “What time?”

“Probably round-”



“Buffy!”



The two blondes turned to face a tall brunette in jeans and a white T-shirt. Spike simply raised an eyebrow and Buffy spit out a mouthful of strawberry shake. Spike turned worriedly toward his girlfriend, while the first thought that went through the girl’s mind was: Holy shit, it’s Angel!



Cough. Cough. “Angel!” Cough. Buffy tried very hard to control her fit. She was unaware that the second Angel’s name had left her lips, Spike had instantaneously begun glaring. He knew all about Buffy’s ex. “Wha- What-” Cough. “Are you doing here?” She placed a hand on her chest as Spike gently rubbed her back.

Angel frowned. “You okay?”



She took a sip of Spike’s root beer and nodded before repeating her question. “What’re you doing here?”

He smiled charmingly. “My parents and I are visiting. We actually just stopped over at your house about an hour ago.” He leered at his ex. She was prettier than ever. “God I’ve missed you!” He bent and swallowed Buffy in a hug, never once acknowledging the fuming man to his left.



The woman’s eyes bugged while Spike’s jaw started to hurt from all the clenching. Buffy awkwardly patted Angel’s back and tried to collect her thoughts. Her ex-boyfriend was in town, currently hugging her like they were two old pals, and Buffy was having an inner spaz-attack.



Why was Angel even here, why oh WHY did he have to return to Moon Stream?! She didn’t want to see him! Their breakup had hurt her like nothing else. Her heart had been ripped out and trampled on. It was over the phone, and there had been PLENTY of tears. He broke her heart and she had hung up without saying goodbye. He never called back. This was the first she’d seen or talked to Angel since then.



It had taken a LOT to get over Angel, but she’d made it. After he called to tell Buffy it was too hard staying in a long distance relationship, there had been serious girl bonding with Willow. Buffy was no longer in love with her ex. It was hard to stay in love with someone when he’d been the reason for eating your own weight in Ben&Jerry’s.



She still remembered the last words they’d spoken to each other:

*“You still my girl?”

Buffy sniffled and responded the only way she knew how. “Always.”*



After that, Buffy had learned that she’d loved Angel more than he’d loved her. She saw forever with him, even though she was only sixteen at the time. She was willing to wait until they were old enough to get a place of their own and live happily ever after, but he hadn’t been able to handle it. She wasn’t even bitter just… burned. It was difficult to see him now because in the past she would have done anything to make it work between them, but now, it just hurt to remember that the one you would have done ANYTHING for hadn’t felt the same.



It was about the pain, not about HIM. She was thoroughly over Angel, but he had hurt her and that was hard to overcome. She cared about him still, but he no longer held her heart. Hell, she didn’t even WANT him to. First love, first heartbreak.



So right now her mind was in a fog, a somewhat angry/annoyed/pained fog. She squirmed out of Angel’s clutches and looked at him confusedly. She felt Spike place a calming hand to the small of her back, for which she was extremely grateful. “Um, Spike this is Angel, my old... boyfriend.” She quickly rushed out the last word before gesturing towards the Brit. “Angel this is Spike, my current… boyfriend.”



Angel blinked. Once, twice. Then the brunette frowned slightly and started sizing Spike up. He plastered on a tightlipped smile before nodding in the bleached teen’s direction. “Nice to meet you, Spike.” He said the name like it left a bad taste in his mouth.



“Pleasure’s all mine.” Spike spoke as though it was anything but, his nostrils flaring.



Buffy snuggled in closer to Spike, seeking his comfort. She needed him right now. He was the one who had her heart in the palm of his hand. She didn’t want Angel to see her weak and she also needed Spike to know that she wanted him and not her ex. If Drusilla had shown her face around here, Buffy sure would have appreciated any reassurances. Past loves, especially first ones, were doozeys.



Spike released a relaxed sigh as Buffy burrowed into his side. He wrapped an arm around her, his thumb tenderly stroking her shoulder. When he caught Angel’s annoyed look the Brit simply smirked.



“So what are you doing in town?” Buffy asked quickly, trying to break the tension, even though she felt that THAT would probably be impossible.

“Like I said, folks wanted to visit for a few days. I tagged along, hoping to run into a few old… friends.”



The way the big git said “friends” while looking at Buffy the way he was almost made Spike charge at him. This Angel bloke was just asking for it. He was glowering at her and Spike like Buffy was his property, like he had a claim over her. Where did this pillock get off?! Instead of hurtling towards the bulky brunette, Spike simply responded in a calm tone of voice. “Well, why don’t you go find some?”

Before Buffy could say something, Angel spoke.



“Yeah…” He drawled. “I guess Buffy and I don’t really qualify as JUST friends… with the history and all.” Angel offered a saccharine grin and turned back to the girl who was currently squeezing her boyfriend’s arm to prevent him from attacking. “Buffy, I’m going to go say hi to a few other people in town, ya know, some of the guys. And uh… I’ll be seeing you Friday.” He winked and went to walk off but the girl stopped him.



“Wait! What do you mean Friday? What’s Friday?” She linked her fingers with Spike’s to try and calm him. She really didn’t need him freaking just because Angel was goading him.

“Oh, you’re mom invited me and my parents over for a barbeque at your house, which means you and I’ll get to spend some more… quality time together before I leave. See ya then!” He started walking. “Oh by the way!” he called. “You look good, Buff.” Angel smirked at her before turning around and jogging off.



“Spike!” Buffy yelled in a warning tone as she pulled him back to a sitting position before he got a chance to go and pummel her ex. “Leave it! He’s just trying to get a rise out of you.”

Spike took a long, deep breath and turned to her. “So that’s Angel, huh?” He spat the name like it was a poison.

Buffy nodded. “Yeah… I had no IDEA he was coming to town. If I had I would have hidden at your place.” She half laughed her words but Spike saw the distress on her face. She was hurting. “Sweetheart, you alright?”

Buffy took a breath and cuddled closer to him. “It’s just… remember at Viper’s when I told you about him and explained how like, when I think of him now I don’t wanna BE with him, but it still hurts sometimes because-”

“Cuz you feel he didn’t care for you as strongly as you did for him. I understand, believe me.”



She gave a sad smile. “Exactly.” Buffy continued, looking into his crystal blue eyes. “So this is the first I’ve seen him since he ended things and it just took me a little off guard. Plus, he was acting as if nothing had happened. And ya know- That pissed me off! I mean, you hurt someone and then hug them like everything’s okay? No. God, and then he had the nerve to-”

“Look at you like you were still his? Yeah, that pissed ME off, pet.”

“H-he did?”

“Uh, yeah.” Spike looked at her like she was daft before pulling her into his lap. “Wanker was lookin at you like I wasn’t even here.”

“To be completely honest, I still care about him, and I might always love him a little bit. Just not quite in that… WAY anymore, ya know?”

“Yeah, I got you. But m’not so sure he feels the same.” Spike pulled her closer until his nose was buried in her hair. “Don’t think he’s lookin to just ‘spend some time’ with you. I think he misses you.” He nuzzled her lovingly while clutching her frame, hoping she really was through with Captain Forehead.



“Well that’s his problem. Maybe he still cares about me but I’m not his to care about. I’ve moved on. I might always love him a little, but I’m no longer IN love with him.” She turned her head to give Spike a kiss on the lips. When she pulled away they both looked directly at each other. “And I don’t want anybody else but you.”



Spike heaved a mental sigh of relief. He was already in way too deep to lose Buffy. And he could tell by her eyes she wasn’t lying, or fooling herself, or unsure of those words. She was telling him the truth and thank God for that because he didn’t want anyone else either.



Buffy rested her forehead against his and hoped to God he believed her because she meant it with all of her heart.



Then she remembered…

“Oh crap!”

“What is it?”

“Friday! The damn barbeque is on Friday! Mom sooooo won’t let me skip out! How am I gonna make it to the-"

“Buffy, relax. The circle isn’t an early sorta thing. We wouldn’t be leaving til at least eight o’clock anyhow. How late will your mum let you stay out?”



“Oh… Okay!” She took a breath, smiled slightly, and then scrunched her face up in thought. “Well… Ooh, I know! Since Willow’s coming back into town tomorrow I can ask her if I can spend the night on Friday. I’ve told her everything about us, including the going to Viper’s thing, so I can leave with you whenever, and tell my mom I’ll be back at Willow’s by midnight. She’ll cover for me if my mom calls and I can sneak into her bedroom whenever you drop me off. Don’t worry; I haven’t said anything about the circle though, just that you’re into cars. I know you didn’t want me to mention it. But anyways, Willow will want the scoop on our date, but I’ll just tell her we were driving around and stuff, which isn’t a total lie… right? Tell me isn’t a total lie cuz if you don’t I might feel too guilty to go along with this.” She finally took a breath and stared at Spike pleadingly.



He chuckled at her adorable sweetness. “It isn’t a lie at all. We will be driving around together, just not the entire time.”

She looked at him through hooded lashes. “So I’m not a bad friend?”

“No, love! I’m sure this Willow bird would understand. It really isn’t that big a deal anyhow.”

She took another breath and smiled. “Okay, so the plan sounds good?”

“Perfect. So first we’ll head over to your mum’s little get together and then you can meet my chums.” Spike smiled and went to kiss her but she pulled away before he’d captured her soft lips. “Wha-”

“Spike, you can’t come Friday to the barbeque.”



He looked hurt and Buffy regretted the words the minute they left her mouth. “All I mean is that it’s gonna be awkward enough. I can barely stand being around Angel right now and-”

“Buffy, there is no reason why you shouldn’t want me there.”

“Yes there is, Spike! The entire thing will be spent with you and him glaring at each other while I try to ignore the palpable tension and make small talk with his parents. Not to mention making sure Dawn doesn’t fall into the grill or something equally horrible. I can’t do all that and-”

“Buffy, I can help you make sure everything stays together. I promise I’ll keep the glaring down to a minimum, and-”

“What about fighting? You and Angel are bound to get into it before we leave. You know you guys will and-”

“Hey now! I can be civil!”

“Tchyea! Good luck with tha-”



“Buffy…” He looked at her like a begging man. He wanted to be there for her. He needed to be. “I know how this git can make you feel, he’s hurt you.” Spike tenderly slid a piece of hair behind her ear. “Seeing him… still causes you pain. For what he did to you, I hate him. And I don’t want to know you’re going through all this stress while I can’t do anything to help. I have to be there for you, and I don’t like the thought of him being so close to you without me somewhere nearby. Please, can I come?”



Buffy sighed resignedly. “You promise to be good?”

“Cross my heart.” He playfully nipped at her lips.

Buffy giggled and smiled warmly at him. “I’m sorry.”

He frowned. “For what, pet?”

“For telling you at first that you couldn’t go... I just wigged out temporarily. I don’t want to have to pry you two off each other in the middle of my backyard. Besides, if mom sees you fighting she won’t like it.”

“Hey, how’s your mum feel about me? Forgot to ask 'bout that.”

“Are you kidding? She thought you were adorable! She loves you.”

“Adorable?” He made a disgusted face. “She thinks I’m… adorable?”

“Oh don’t you pout! It’s a compliment.” Buffy grinned and pecked him on the lips. “Besides, better ‘adorable’ than ‘bulky’.” She leaned in to whisper in Spike’s ear. “That was her word for Angel.”

Spike laughed and kissed her again. “I guess I can live with being adorable.”



***



After Spike dropped his girl off at home, he promptly called Gunn to tell him that Buffy Summers would be arriving at the circle a little earlier than expected.



When the bleached boy hung up the phone, he mentioned the Summers’ barbeque to his father, as per were Buffy’s instructions that Spike invite his dad. Charlie had politely declined, for he had already made plans for Friday, and told his son to be sure and thank their neighbors for the thoughtful invitation.



The teenager was actually a little disappointed that his father couldn’t make it to the dinner. The man had always been really good at keeping Spike’s temper in check when the situation called for it, and this Friday would be a serious test of the boy’s patience.



The Brit decided to take out some of his frustrations on the heavy bag. Seeing this Angel ponce again was going to be bloody agonizing to say the least.



***



Buffy called Willow when she got home, giving her friend the details on Friday and begging for assistance on the curfew dilemma. Willow readily agreed, all Buffy had to do was relay all juicy details about her date once she made it back to the red head’s house. After that was all set, the two girls spent about an hour on the phone gabbing about everything, including the surprise Angel visit. Buffy had also invited Willow to the barbeque, but the red head had already made plans with Tara it seemed.



Once the two teens hung up, Buffy headed downstairs and talked to her mother about Friday. Joyce agreed to the sleepover arrangements and happily accepted the fact that William would be joining them on Friday. She did think that having Angel and Buffy’s new boyfriend together in the same room might be a little awkward, but Joyce trusted Buffy’s judgment on the whole situation. Besides, Angel and William had already met according to her daughter, so they couldn’t dislike each other too much, right? Buffy hadn’t said anything.



After all the details had been laid out, Buffy headed back up to her room and got ready for bed. She brushed her hair and curled up under the covers, drifting off into a peaceful slumber.



***



Buffy awoke the next day with a crick in her neck and a headache. She must’ve slept funny. The headache though, she couldn’t explain. She got up to go take a shower and when she turned the water on it was scalding hot and sprayed her naked arm. Buffy yelped and went to splash cold water on her reddened skin, only to jam her toe against the bottom of the sink. The girl groaned and quickly turned off the shower after rinsing her arm in the basin.



Buffy went to brush her teeth only to discover that there was no more toothpaste left. She called to her mom, hoping the older woman would know where any extra Colgate might be located, only to be met with silence. Of course, Buffy’d forgotten that Joyce was taking Dawn with her to help out at the gallery today.



The blonde rolled her eyes and tried to ignore the morning taste in her mouth.



Very carefully, she turned on her shower and adjusted the temperature, this time without getting burnt. She removed her PJs and stepped into the spray, letting the warm water dance over her face. She reached for the shaving cream, but the container was empty.



Buffy groaned again.



Today was just going to be one of those days.


Chapter End Notes:
Review please!!!