Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you guys for the reviews!! I just finished writing chapter 21 and there were these 2 AMAZING songs which got me writing like crazy. I'm going to write chapter 22 before I post 21 and I hope you guys won't hate me if I take a little while. Oh and I realized that I'm pretty sure I've been spelling the word "barbecue" wrong. I had originally used a "qu" instead of a "c" and now i feel dumb. Well, just don't pay attention if you see it spelled both ways from now on :3

Oh and here are the links to the songs which basically (along with the reviews) got me writing like a nutjob:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hxe85iErew
AND
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrZkrEZ9C8Y&list=LLBdzgP1ZMxvx0jm-M1y-EAQ&index=6&feature=plpp_video

*OK you can read now! Hope ya like!! :)*
She managed to push Spike away just for a second before he wrapped his arms around her tiny waist, holding on for dear life. “Spike I- I-” Out of the corner of her eye, car lights through the window caught Buffy’s attention just before she spoke. The Smiths were home.



Shit! “Oh my god!” She sobbed. “Spi- Spike, you have to go!”

The look on his face was heartbreaking. God, if only he knew.

“The parents are home! I- If they see you here, I’m toast! Sneak through the back! C’mon, pleas-”

He held on tighter. “Buffy, please just wait! What were you gonna say-”



The girl powerfully removed herself from her boyfriend’s embrace and tugged on his hand, pulling him behind her and toward the back door. She hastily grabbed her dried tank top off the kitchen counter as she went. “Y- You have to go.”



Just before she pushed Spike out the door he grabbed her wrist and wretched her back into his arms, speaking with hushed desperation. “Please, Buffy! Tell me what you were gonna say-”



Buffy heard the faint sounds of laughter from Mrs. Smith outside. “Spike- Please, you gotta go NOW! If they see you-” She didn’t want to say it like this.



He grabbed her chin, turning her distracted face towards his and pressed his forehead against hers, staring into her panicked eyes as he whispered intensely. “Tell me, Buffy! I can’t go home not-”



God, she didn’t want to say it when she was being rushed like this but if she was going to have to, and she could tell she was going to have to, then she damn well would! “I love you, you idiot! Now leave before-”



Her sentence was cut off by a pair of very, very forceful lips and crushing arms wrapping around her torso.



Yes, she’d meant it, and so she returned the kiss with fervor. Buffy held the sides of his oh so perfect face, mewling and smiling as they mauled each other. Spike was gripping her as close as was humanly possible, and they were both silently hoping that this wasn’t a dream.



Keys jingled in the lock and Buffy pulled away when she heard it. Neither of them wanted to let go but the girl knew they had to. “Go, go now! I’ll see you Friday!” She giggled and tried pushing him away to no avail. “Spike! C’mon-”

“How’re you gettin home?!” He asked hurriedly.

“Mom’s picking me up! We’re not going into the gallery until late tomorrow! Now go!”



Spike growled and kissed her hard before finally allowing himself to be pushed through the doorway.



Buffy mentally screamed. What a fabulous fucking time for the Smiths to arrive home!



The girl quickly threw on her shirt and walked into the twins’ room just before Mr. and Mrs. Smith stumbled through the front door.



The teenager heaved a huge sigh of relief as she walked over to the cribs and smiled. If she didn’t see Spike again soon she wasn’t sure what the two of them would be caught doing when Friday rolled around. Absence made the heart grow fonder and call her crazy, but the connection Buffy and Spike shared was powerful, real, and it wouldn’t be too long before they started missing each other.



***



The next two days went by in a blur for the couple. Buffy worked with her mother on Wednesday and was forced to leave her cell phone (the one that fortunately still worked) at home because Joyce didn’t want her daughter “getting distracted.”



On Wednesday Spike worked on the cars he was assigned, but his mind was on Buffy. He missed her. He hadn’t seen or talked to her since yesterday. The Brit had stayed up just to make sure Buffy got home safe and sound with her mum last night. He’d watched her from a couple houses down, behind a tree. He’d had to push down the urge to sneak up into her bedroom like he’d done not too long ago, he knew that she’d been exhausted all day and needed rest.



He hadn’t had a chance to see her before she’d headed off to help Joyce with the gallery, and working at his new job was not near enough to distract him from thoughts of his girl.



And Thursday had been the exact same problem, he’d gotten his work done but not five minutes went by without thinking of her. After he’d set up a schedule with Jim for next week, and had gotten paid, Spike had headed straight for Buffy’s only to be told by her little sis that the seventeen year old was out with friends.



Spike had called his girlfriend, but he’d gotten the voicemail.



After Buffy had exited the movie theatre with her pals on Thursday night and turned her phone back on, she’d tried calling Spike back but it went straight to voicemail. She texted him saying she was at the movies and her phone had been off but never got a response.



Buffy really missed him. Thank God tomorrow was Friday.



Spike had cursed himself for not charging his phone. Just when he was about to text her a message, his cell had died. Bloody thing never held a charge!



Spike had quickly plugged his phone in and was just about to look at a text Buffy had sent him when the device in his hands rang. His father had gotten a flat and didn’t have a spare with him. Spike had to speed off and rescue his father out on the highway. The teenager didn’t own a car charger for his phone so he’d just responded to Buffy’s text that he’d see her tomorrow and to have fun with her mates.



By the time Spike and his dad had gotten home, Buffy had sent two more messages. One said that she missed him, and that she was looking forward to seeing him tomorrow. The other stated that she was headed off to bed early because she’d gotten crappy sleep the night before.



Spike had gritted his teeth in aggravation. What, were the fates just screwing with him? Thought it was funny to see a bloke go bug shaggin crazy over not being able to spend time with his girl after he’d told her he was in love with her? Bloody cruel.



Spike went to bed early that night, praying for morning, something he’d never done before.



***



Secretly, neither Buffy nor Spike wanted to say those three little words again until they were both face to face with one another. Which meant it was a really good thing that it was finally Friday...



***



Buffy finished helping her sister set the picnic table in the backyard. Joyce was on the grill and Dawn had begrudgingly helped Buffy prepare the table. The teenager stood back to admire their work after relieving Dawn of her duties; it was quite a spread.



There was pasta salad, taco salad, hamburger and hot dog buns, a pitcher of lemonade, a small cooler filled with cans of soda, and a garden salad. Dawn and Joyce were the chefs in the family. Buffy had helped her sister in the kitchen by letting her younger sibling boss her around and tell her what to add to what bowls. Originally Buffy had complained that she was plenty capable of making a salad, but after Dawn had given her a chance by allowing the blonde to mix the lemonade and said blonde hadn’t used any sugar, Buffy had relented and just let her sister tell her what to do.



After that, they’d set the table, all the while Dawn complained about having to help lay everything out when she’d made most of the food. When Buffy had scolded her and asked her what her problem was, the seventeen year old had been reminded that Dawn planned on having TJ over for the barbeque, and therefore the twelve year old needed her time to primp.



It was now going on three fifty and people were arriving around four. Joyce had invited more guests after Dawn asked if she could have Terrance over, starting with the boy’s parents. Buffy’s mom had then called Willow’s, Tara’s, Xander’s (begrudgingly), and Anya’s parents as well, but none of them were able to make it. Xander and Anya were busy today, too it seemed. The teen hadn’t planned on inviting them originally because Willow was hanging out with Tara until late and so they wouldn’t have anything to do once she and Spike headed out, but when Joyce called the Jenkins’ and the Harris’, Buffy had of course mentioned it to Xander and Anya herself.



An idea to invite some pals from school had flitted across Buffy’s brain. She had her close friends like Xander, Willow, Tara, and Anya- but everyone else she knew from school she had no problem getting along with either. And she thought that maybe Spike could meet a few of his future fellow classmates so he wouldn’t feel so awkward when autumn rolled around. But knowing it was summer, kids her age usually had their own adventures planned, so she threw the idea away. But even if Spike didn’t get a chance to meet any of Moonstream High’s populace before fall rolled around, there was no way Buffy was letting him skip classes. He might’ve been able to get away with that stuff back in Chicago, but no way in hell was she going to lose him just because he didn’t want to go to school. She wasn’t an A+ student but she got okay grades and she was NOT going to allow studying slackage, no matter how much that boyfriend of hers pouted. She’d be his personal tutor girl.



And Buffy had a feeling that with the right outfit, she could get him to cooperate just fine. All I need to do is find a short plaid skirt, she thought wryly.



Then, she followed that thought up with a less naughty one: Wow, when did I get so brazen?



It wasn’t like she wasn’t happy about the boldness she could literally feel developing inside herself, she was just a little curious as to how the hell this one guy had such an effect on her. It wasn’t like Spike was changing her, but instead like he was… helping her embrace something she hadn’t known was there.



Buffy smiled. She really missed her guy. Not to mention the fact that when he’d called telling her he couldn’t show up early like he’d planned on doing, because Jim had requested his assistance at the shop for some random car emergency, Buffy had done some serious pouting.



Spike wasn’t coming over until four, just like everybody else, but she really wanted some time alone with him before other people got there.



*Ding Dong* The doorbell rang.



“I’ll get it!” Dawn called from inside the house.



Buffy sighed, knowing Spike would’ve just come through the back gate like she’d told him to.



***



Spike checked his phone to look at the time again. It was four o’clock on the dot. He was finally headed back home to hurry up and get ready for Buffy’s barbeque. Jim had needed the teen’s help with fixing up a car for a guy who apparently paid a lot of dosh for fast work. Jim had told Spike that “he was the only mechanic who was fast enough and good enough” to help with on this last minute job, so the teenager had rushed over there around noon and had just now finished the car, with Jim’s help of course. Now all the Brit had to do was take the quickest shower of his life, and get over to his girlfriend’s.



Christ, he missed her.



***



Buffy nodded and smiled politely while listening to Terrance’s father go on and on about something lawyer-ish. The minute TJ and his parents had walked into the house, Dawn and the other young male were off to do their own thing, Joyce and the other mother had started chatting animatedly about something, and the father of Dawn’s little boyfriend had latched onto Buffy. She was bored to tears, but apparently Mr. Lawyer Guy here didn’t get that because he kept talking to her about a recent case he’d just won.



Buffy needed something to distract TJ’s dad, or someone else to stand next to and share knowing glances with whenever the lawyer got really excited about something she couldn’t care less about.



“Can you believe the nerve of the guy? Pleading not guilty! It was absurd!”



Buffy shook herself out of her haze and blinked a few times before she nodded in agreement.



***



Spike took the fastest shower in history and cropped his bleached curls. Normally he liked it better slicked back but Buffy had said she preferred it curly.



The teenager threw on ripped, light blue jeans and a black undershirt. He wasn’t leaving his duster at home, though. He was throwing it in the back of his Desoto so he could have it when Buffy and he headed out later. For a barbeque, the coat was a little much, but he needed it for later.



Spike put on his Doc Martins and headed over to his girlfriend’s.



***



The second Spike walked through the Summers’ back gate he almost bumped right into Buffy’s mum.



“Oh, hello William. Or, uh… Should I call you ‘Spike’?” Joyce asked sweetly while flipping a burger.

“Hi there, Mrs. Summers-”

“Oh, please! Call me Joyce.”

Spike nodded his thanks and smiled politely. “Thanks, Joyce. And um- you can call me anything you like.”

“Alright… Spike.” She smiled triumphantly when she said the name, as if she was proud of herself. Then her grin slowly faded and she scrunched her nose just like her daughter. Spike raised an eyebrow and pursed his lips.

“… I think I’ll just stick with ‘William.’”



“Sounds good, Mrs Su- I mean, Joyce.”

“Right.” She nodded again before quickly changing the topic. “Well if you’re looking for Buffy she’s right over there.” She gestured with a tilt of the head.



Spike turned his eyes toward his girlfriend and dazedly said thank you to her mother before walking towards Buffy.



***



Buffy almost shrieked when two strong arms wrapped around her waist. She’d just been about to get a glass of lemonade and thanked God she hadn’t picked up the pitcher.



After the shock went away she immediately realized whose arms were holding her against a sturdy chest. “Hey you.” She grinned.



“Hey yourself, love.” He whispered and started kissing her neck. “I missed you.”



She moaned and turned around to face him before pulling his lips down to meet hers in a searing kiss. She pulled away to mumble against his lips. “I missed you, too.” Then she went back in and felt one of Spike’s arms snake around her waist while the other lost itself in her hair.



Buffy felt herself being led away somewhere while she refused to unfasten her mouth from his.



The Brit held his girl tighter and finally made it into her kitchen. He pulled away for air and started suckling and nipping at her throat. “God, it’s been too long.”



“Mhmmmm.” She bit her lip and nodded furiously. Speech had left her.



Spike nibbled his way back up to her chin before leaving a simple kiss on her sweet lips. “I meant it, Buffy. I’ve thought about nothing but you and those words constantly for the past two days.” He was looking right into her gorgeous eyes, watching them glisten and glitter. “I love you.”



She felt an overwhelming burst of happiness slam into her as soon as the words were said. “I love you, too.” She practically whimpered. Why did it feel like they had been apart for so long?



Spike smiled brighter than she’d ever seen him do before and wrapped his arms around her waist, as he lifted her off her feet and gave her a kiss that made her dizzy and warm.



Tongues intertwined and spirits connected. The heat between the couple was scorching as Spike set Buffy on top of her kitchen counter and spread her legs. The girl pulled him between her thighs as she started furiously grinding against his denim covered bulge.



Their lips finally parted and Spike released a sharp gasp. “Baby, baby, baby… f’you keep movin your lil hips like that I’m gonna lose control.”

She hooked her legs around his upper thighs, tugged him closer, and ground down on him harder. “And this is a problem?” She whispered.



Spike growled and dug his fingers into her as he pulled the girl forward in a futile attempt to get even closer. He inched her skirt up with his fingertips lightly gliding across her skin, and rubbed his erection against the cotton of her panties. “I like it when you wear skirts…” The man slid his fingers beneath the waistband of her knickers and pinched her hips, succeeding in royally fucking over her ability to breathe. “Have I mentioned that?” He whispered close to her ear.



Buffy moaned and rubbed herself faster against him, her hands gripping his upper arms. She knew they were in her mother’s kitchen, and someone could walk in on them any minute, but hey, it wasn’t like either of them was naked. And for some reason, the excitement of getting caught made her that much hotter.



Spike, for his part, didn’t care if anyone saw what they were doing… Well, except for maybe Buffy’s mum. Joyce walking in on the young couple would not bode well for either of them.



Spike stole Buffy’s lips again for another kiss, his tongue meeting hers instantly. She wrapped her arms around his neck as she sought her release. She was just… getting so... close…



Spike broke away from her mouth and moved himself just enough away from her sweaty body to slip a hand beneath her soft underwear, his eyes crossing at the wetness he found there. Buffy whimpered harshly and started moving faster. The Brit slowly slipped a finger inside her and leaned in to speak heatedly against her rosy cheek. “You like me makin you cum right here on your kitchen counter don’t you, love? Where anyone could walk in and see, where anyone could catch sight of you fucking yourself against my hand.”



Buffy nodded frantically against his heavily breathing mouth as she kept up a symphony of moans and gasps. She was just sooooo close…



Spike curled the finger that was pumping in and out of her channel and rubbed against that sensitive little spot inside her. “Come on, kitten. Give daddy some cream.” That was it.



He mauled her lips again and Buffy came with a muffled scream. He gently helped her down from the clouds and released her mouth before whispering reverently. “Do you have ANY idea how gorgeous you are when you come?”



She could only moan in response as she rested her head against his chest.



Spike kissed the top of her head and nuzzled her hair while removing his hand from the place between her thighs. He brought his fingers up to his mouth and licked them clean before pulling Buffy’s skirt back down.



The girl brought her face up to kiss Spike sweetly on the lips. When she pulled away she gently rubbed his groin with the palm of her hand. “Now what are we gonna do about this?”

Spike clenched his jaw and bit back a groan. “Well, pet, what would you like to-”



Just before he finished his sentence, the doorbell rang.

Buffy and Spike looked at each other before the boy pulled away and sighed. “Think it’s time for you to play hostess, petal.”



Buffy frowned and looked up at her boyfriend disappointedly. Not only was she annoyed that they’d been interrupted, but she felt really guilty that she’d gotten hers when he hadn’t gotten his. “I’m sorry.” She hopped off the counter and pecked him on the lips. “Later. We’ll have more fun later, I promise.”



He leaned in to nuzzle his nose against hers. “Damn right we will.” He knew that they couldn’t do much else now, no matter what they were both yearning for. “C’mon. Let’s go greet the guests, yeah?”



Buffy smiled and Spike swore that anything was worth sacrificing if he got to keep seeing that beautiful grin of hers.



The girl headed off to answer the front door as Spike readjusted himself and then followed.



It was going to be a long barbecue.



***



The second Angel had arrived, Spike had tensed up, and no matter what she did Buffy found that her guy refused to be unwound.



With every step and breath, he was tense. The only time he would relax was when she’d touch him in some way. And even then he’d only stay calm until he caught sight of her ex again.



Buffy sighed as her mother plopped a burger onto her plate. “Thanks mom.” The girl mumbled. Her eyes were on Spike as she headed over to grab a bun and something to drink. Her boyfriend was talking with Dawn and TJ. The second Buffy’s younger sister had seen Spike she and Terrance had latched onto him like a couple of pint sized leeches. Apparently the twelve year olds were fascinated by the man with white hair and a funny voice.



Spike didn’t mind, though. He actually seemed to be smiling quite a bit as he chatted with the kids. Buffy smirked. Okay, so maybe Dawn and TJ can get him to relax a bit, too.



She turned around and started putting condiments on her burger before grabbing a can of Strawberry Fanta and a Coke for Spike. Buffy then walked over to her boyfriend, silently hoping her ex was still inside being hounded by TJ’s dad. The minute Terrance’s father had met Angel he’d taken a serious liking to him. Buffy noticed that the lawyer seemed to enjoy spewing his words of wisdom onto the younger people, probably figuring he was teaching them something worthwhile and interesting.



Buffy was just glad the guy hadn’t found Spike yet.



The blonde trotted over to her boyfriend who was talking excitedly about something or other, and she grinned. The Brit was so cute when he was being all “cool” and trying to impress Dawn and her friend.



“So there was this one car- Oh God, whatta beaut! Anyway, it had these spinners on the wheels and…” Spike trailed off as he looked up to meet the gorgeous image of his girl looking down at him with a warm smile on her delicate face. Her hair was golden in the sunlight and it surrounded her, making her look like an angel with a halo. Her green eyes were a beautiful jade hue and the woman’s smooth skin was glowing. She was ravishing and-



“And what?!” TJ asked impatiently, interrupting Spike’s thoughts. The young boy had really taken a liking to his descriptions of cars and was hanging on every word the bleached teen uttered.



Spike distractedly looked down at the young boy and smiled. “Uh… An the car was blue- The end. I’ll talk to you guys more later, yeah?” He turned his eyes back up to Buffy. “Been neglectin my girl.” The teen smirked and stood. He silenced TJ and Dawn’s protests with a promise to continue the story another time.



Spike took the can of soda Buffy offered him and guided her with a gentle hand on her back toward the picnic table where everyone was slowly gathering for dinner.



“You know you were really adorable over there with Dawn and TJ, you were all ‘cool grownup guy.’ I could tell they liked you a lot… almost as much as you seemed to like their gnat-sized attention spans being focused on you.” She smiled and sat down.



Spike guffawed before sitting next to her. “First of all, m’not adorable. Secondly, I was just checkin that TJ bloke out, makin sure he’s a trustworthy kid. He is DATING your lil sis after all.” Spike tucked his tongue behind his teeth in a mischievous manner. He knew Buffy hated it when she thought of her younger sister having a boyfriend. It “wigged” her out, the Summers girl would say.



Buffy shuddered and glared at her boyfriend. “You know I hate being reminded of that! And excuse me, but are you sure you wanna go and start knocking the concept of being ‘adorable’? Remember, that’s what my mom thinks of you...”



Spike chuckled before straightening once again. “And as I recall…” He looked around with his nostrils flaring. “The only reason I accepted being referred to as ‘adorable’ was because your mum’s term for Angel was a bit less kind. Where is Mr. ‘Bulky’ anyhow?”



Buffy looked around and caught no sight of said brunette. “Uh, not sure. He’s probably still inside talking with TJ’s dad. Believe me, once that guy starts chatting he never stops.” She said with a light laugh. “Look, I told mom to put a cheeseburger on the grill for you and it should be done by now. Go grab it then come sit back down. We’re gonna start dinner in a minute or so.”



Spike nodded and kissed her on the cheek before standing. “Thanks, love.” He walked away from the table while gliding his fingers through her soft locks.



Buffy smiled and took a sip of her drink. Dawn and TJ had just sat down with hot dogs at one end of the table and the young boy’s parents were all set to dig in as well. Mr. O’Connor was getting a glass of lemonade and Mrs. O’Connor…



Was right behind Buffy.



The teenager almost jumped out of her skin when she heard Angel’s mom speak right next to her ear. “Oh! Oh…” She laughed a little at her own skittish behavior. “Sorry, Mrs. O’Connor. You startled me.”

“Oh, I’m sorry dear. I didn’t mean to, I just wanted to know if you’ve seen my son anywhere. I was going to ask if maybe you’d go find him for me?”

Buffy raised her eyebrows and blinked a few times. “Oh… Oh, yeah! Sure um… I’ll go see if I can find him…”

“Oh thank you honey, I’d do it myself but I haven’t even grabbed my meal yet and I’d like to sit down. This dumb knee of mine’s actin up again.” The woman gestured to said joint.



Buffy nodded and smiled courteously. Angel’s mother was a guest and so the teenager did as she was asked.



***



Buffy called out Angel’s name a couple of times as she walked about her home. She couldn’t find him, and she was sort of praying she wouldn’t. She’d really been hoping she wouldn’t have to be alone with him today. Even if it was just for a couple of minutes she didn’t want him to say something that would piss her off, and she really didn’t want him to mention their past because it would only hurt.



The girl didn’t really believe in Spike’s assumptions that her ex was still interested in her. Buffy noticed how Angel had looked at her when he’d surprised her and Spike over at The Bunny Hutch, but she figured he was probably just doing that to push Spike’s buttons. Or hey, maybe Angel did think she looked good, but it really wasn’t a guarantee that he’d try anything.



She turned the corner into the living room and found nothing. Buffy sighed. Maybe he’s upstairs.



The woman trudged up the staircase and walked into her bedroom where she found the man she’d been searching for. He was sitting on her bed fingering the lace on one of her pillowcases.



The first feeling that jolted Buffy was the ire she felt run through her veins. “What do you think you’re doing up here?” She placed her hands on her hips. Angel had no right to enter into her bedroom.



His head shot up and he stood before smiling apologetically. “Sorry, Buff. I was just having a look around, and I found myself up here.”



She took a step closer. “You found yourself up in my bedroom? Ever here of a little thing called privacy?” She was angry. Oh God, she was angry.

Angel looked at her with a frown. “Uh… sorry. Didn’t think you’d care.”



Pah! “Well I do. So don’t go sneaking into my room again, got it?” She raised her eyebrows.

“Yeah, fine.” He bent his head while shuffling his feet. “You never used to mind me up here before.” He mumbled.



She heard him. “Yeah, well that was when we were dating; which we’re not anymore, so move along please.” She jabbed her right thumb over her shoulder.

“I’m sorry.” He apologized and walked a couple more feet until he was standing right in front of her. Then Angel just stared at the blonde with those poignant brown eyes of his, gazing at her.



“What?!” Buffy barked after he hadn’t moved for a moment or so.



“Nothing, I just…” He looked down at his feet before looking back up into her eyes. “You’re more beautiful than I remember.”



A beat.



Buffy’s heart didn’t twist, she didn’t get any butterflies, and she didn’t feel like swooning. It was just a compliment. It was nice, but she didn’t need it… or really want it for that matter.



“Thank you, Angel.” She said in a calm voice before exhaling. She suddenly felt a sort of sad acceptance wash over her. She didn’t want him. She’d known this, had moved passed it. But in this instant, it felt like she was finally accepting that she had never been good enough for her ex. She hadn’t been the right girl for him, and now…



Now, Buffy was okay with that. She’d gotten over losing him, but something inside her had always hurt every time she’d think about how he hadn’t loved her like she’d loved him. But all of a sudden, she felt okay about it. She felt a weight lift off of her shoulders and she smiled.



Buffy and Angel were over, and she was through feeling less than adequate over a relationship that had cut her into a million pieces.



She didn’t want or need to be ‘beautiful’ in his eyes.



The girl smiled. “Let’s go eat.” She turned to walk away but felt a hand encircle her arm. She frowned and turned to meet a pair of uneasy brown eyes.

“Buffy…”

“Yeah…?”

“I- I missed you.”

She nodded. “Well, Angel, to tell you the truth… I missed you, too.” He took a step closer and smiled warmly down at her. “At first.” Buffy finished delicately.



The brunette frowned.



“Truthfully Angel, I haven’t thought about you for a while now. It’s been… a long time.” She started for the stairs again but the man stepped out in front of her. She sighed. “What is it? If you have something to say just say it-”

“Buffy, I want you back. I still love you.”

“-already. Whoa- Wha- What?”



***



Spike had just finished giving Joyce his father’s apologies for not being able to make it to the barbeque when he noticed Buffy was gone.



He went to check inside the house but the Brit was noticed by TJ’s father.



Bloody hell.



***



“I said I still love you.”

“Bu- Wha- Are you- Are you joking?!” She asked, feeling out of breath all of a sudden.

“No.” He stepped closer and took her hands in his. “Look Buffy- I was so stupid to end things be-”



Feeling him touching her seemed to snap the blonde out of shock long enough for her to rip her hands away and interrupt him. “H- How dare you!”

Angel looked at her confused. “Buffy, what-”



“Y- You come into my town, you act like everything is normal, like we’re two old friends and that you DIDN’T rip my heart out a year ago, and now you tell me that you’re still in love with me?! While you KNOW that I’m dating somebody else! How dare you, you inconsiderate, pig headed-”

“Buffy- Please! Just give me a chance to explain-”

“-invasive, overbearing, jackass!”



Angel looked stricken and he changed his tone to quiet, his shoulders slouched with his hands clasped together. “What is this Buffy? I thought you’d be happy.”



She was shaking with anger. She suddenly saw it now, that same thing Spike had seen in her ex when they’d met at The Bunny Hutch. Angel had a controlling side to him, a side that believed Buffy was HIS, and would always be his. “I am not going to get all happy and teary eyed just because you come back into town and say that you still have feelings for me, Angel. God, how dense do you think I am?!”

“Wha- Buffy, you’re anything BUT dense- I-”



“What?” She stepped closer, causing Angel to back away. “You just thought I’d come crawling back to you? Sorry Angel, but we’re over. We were over a long time ago when YOU first made that decision.” And with that, the girl practically ran down the stairs flustered- Actually, flustered would be an understatement to how she was feeling at the moment.



When she reached the bottom Angel quickly turned her around. “What- You’ve got that ‘Spike’ guy as your boyfriend now? Buffy, you and me, we're forever-”



“Forever?” She whispered with barely controlled rage coating her voice. “FOREVER? Angel, we were through the minute you called me and said it was over. And ya know what? We’re STILL over.” She went to leave before changing her mind and speaking with the strongest amount of resolve she’d ever used. “And yes, I DO have Spike, and I’m never letting go of him.” She twisted around again, her back facing her ex.



“God, don’t try and tell me some punk idiot with a foreign accent can come between us, Buffy!”



She turned back to face him and talked through clenched teeth. “You’ve got some nerve. I’ll have you know that Spike has been kinder and has made me feel things you never even came close to-”

“Buffy stop and listen to yourself! We’re meant to be together, don’t you feel it?!”



“I don’t feel anything.” She shook her head and tightened her jaw.



“That’s bull!” He stepped closer, grabbed her hands, and held them to his chest. “I love you Buffy.” He said in a deep voice. “And I know you’re lying to yourself when you say you don’t feel something between us.”



“Ly- Lying?!” She sputtered and managed to pull her hands away. Angel was hitting all the right buttons if he wanted a broken nose. “Oh my God, do you hear how full of yourself you sound?! Angel, we are DONE!” The teen ran her fingers restlessly through her hair. “Crap, I can’t believe we’re even doing this. I KNEW something would go wrong at this fucking barbeque!”

Angel’s eyes bugged. “Since when did you start talking like THAT?!”



She rolled her eyes and gave him an “Are you kidding me” look. “I’m seventeen not five, you moron.”

“This Spike guy has you acting like a stranger Buffy. He’s no good for you.”



“Excuse me but I think *I* can choose my own boyfriend thank you very much! And for your information, Spike is INCREDIBLE! He’s the only person who LETS me act like myself!” She forced herself to take a much needed step back and grit her teeth. “Ya know what, Angel? Don’t- just don’t… talk to me for a while, okay? If you open your mouth one more time today I’m likely to hit you very hard.” She headed for the kitchen just as she thought she heard the back door open.

“You’re still my girl, Buffy. Always.” Her ex spoke loudly, but didn’t yell.



Buffy turned around in a swirl of blonde hair and sweat. She had seriously had enough of this. “No! I am not your girl!”



When Buffy went to leave again she was flung around and a pair of lips that hadn’t touched hers in over a year pressed against her mouth before she could blink.



And that’s when Spike walked in.


Chapter End Notes:
This one was a little longer than the others, review please :) they make me write more! I swear, they're like steroids for my muse.