Author's Chapter Notes:
(Just real quick: there's some violence in this chapt.) Anyways, I'm so giddy when I get reviews! and it makes me post faster :D Thanks so much you guys!!! Here's #7 hope you like :) (BTW, just a warning- i LOVE protective/possessive Spike, so there will be lots of him popping up in this story, even at unreasonable times sometimes.)
Spike parked his car about a block away from the town square because the streets were blocked off for the carnival. He walked over to the festivities and his eyebrows shot up at what he saw. There were booths set up surrounding the square, games being played, and all sorts of different carnival foods being sold. Kids were running around and Spike spotted a DJ being set up on the gazebo that sat in the middle of the square. There was also what looked like one of those portable roll out dance floors being set up right in front of the DJ’s speakers. The whole scene looked like something out of a movie. It was kind of… perfect.



And way too bloody cheery.



Spike, for the life of him, couldn’t figure out why his dad was excited about going to this thing. He figured his old man must want to meet people. That was just like his dad, always sociable.



Spike leaned up against a brick building and lit a cigarette. He scanned the crowd looking for Buffy. He couldn’t see her and decided that he’d stay put until he did. He tried to figure out what exactly he was going to do with Miss Summers now that he had finally accepted the fact that he wasn’t going to stop thinking about her anytime soon. Spike wanted to push her buttons, which he knew he could do fairly easily, but eventually following her around arguing with her would tip the little firecracker off to the fact that he also wanted to simply be around her.



He suddenly spotted the girl. She was buying a corn dog from a vender. He watched her walk over to a bench and sit down.



Spike thought back to their argument for the tenth time. He knew this one had a fire in her, he’d seen it in her eyes. He also knew that she was sheltered, a good girl. His lips curved around his cigarette into a smile as he realized what he was going to do. Spike had a serious inkling that little Buffy wanted more from life, that there was something in her just waiting to be released. She had gotten really defensive about being a goody two shoes. And now, Spike realized it wasn’t just because everyone who’s good wants a taste of being bad, it was because she’s meant to be bad; and she knows it. But she’s never had a chance. Oh, he couldn’t wait to be the one to bring this side out in her. It would take a little time, but he also knew just how to do it.



He’d start by observing, because really, he had no idea of how to approach her at the moment anyhow. His nerves were acting like they were all individually doped up on speed.



Christ, he was actually nervous to talk to a girl? That hadn’t happened in a very, very long time.



He was rightly screwed.



***



Buffy finished her corn dog. She picked up her camera to take a few shots of the carnival, all thoughts of Spike finally pushed to the back of her brain.



Buffy thought it would be cool to maybe do some black and white shots of the carnival, frame them, and then sell them at the library. There was a blank spot on her wall in her bedroom, too. She wanted to take three succession shots and hang them up there. Besides, until they finished getting the dance floor all set up, she needed something to do.



She was about to take the first shot when she felt someone watching her. She ignored it and took the picture. When she moved to take another one, she still felt it. The blonde took another photo and then stopped to look around. Buffy shook her head trying to clear it, sure that it was just her mind messing with her. She walked over to the other side of the carnival and lost the feeling. The teen started taking some more photos when suddenly, there it was again. It was like someone was studying her. She turned around in a circle searching for the person looking in her direction until she started to feel like a dog chasing its tail. Finally Buffy chose to ignore it as best she could, being that it was probably just her imagination.



The blonde spotted Xander and Anya walking hand in hand. She couldn’t resist. She raised her camera and took two photos of them. One had them kissing and the other had them gazing into each other’s eyes. God, they were cute.



After about fifteen minutes of picture taking, Buffy spotted her mom and walked over to where Joyce was busy talking with Mr. Giles and his wife, Jenny.



“Hi guys. What ya up to?”

“Oh, hi honey. We’re just chatting.”

Giles smiled warmly. “Lovely to see you, dear.”

“Where’re your friends, Buffy?” Jenny asked.

“Oh, Xander and Anya are on a date and the other two are out of town.”

“Xander and Anya? They’re dating?” Jenny frowned thoughtfully.

“Yep. It’s a new thing. There right over there.” Buffy pointed toward the laughing couple.

Everyone turned their heads.

“It’s about time Xander asked her out.” Joyce smiled knowingly.

“Actually, Anya kinda asked him.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah. Xander was…Well, as usual, he was clueless.”

“I understand.” Joyce smiled.

“So, have you been taking any pictures?” Jenny pointed to the camera around Buffy’s neck.

“Oh. Yeah. It’s this idea I have. I’m going to take a few shots, frame them, and then Arthur said I could sell em at the library.”

“Well that’s nice. I’ll probably buy one. Are they going to be in color or black and white?”

“Black and white. I thought it would give the photos more of an ‘artsy’ look.”

“Sounds nice.” Jenny smiled.

Joyce frowned. “So your friends aren’t around? You’re all alone?”

“Yeah, but it’s okay. I’ve got my camera and the music is going to start soon so I’ll be hitting the dance floor.”

“Well, alright. You can always hang out with us old folks.”

“Oh, please mom. You’re not that old. Besides, I don’t wanna bug you guys.”

“How thoughtful.” Joyce muttered with a good natured roll of the eyes.

“Nonsense Buffy, you could never be bothersome.” The Brit smiled.

“Thanks Giles.” Buffy grinned. “Well I might come sit by you guys a little bit la-”



Mid word, the DJ’s voice broke through the carnival’s atmosphere and people followed the sound. “Alright everyone, just like every year here in Moon Stream it is time to celebrate the summer! No school, no work, the only thing you guys gotta worry about tonight is havin a good time! Now get your butts out here and start dancin!”



“Oh! That’s my cue. Here, mom, watch my camera and my bag? I’m gonna take the DJ’s advice.” Buffy handed her stuff to her mother and ran to the dance floor.



Joyce laughed lightly. “This is her favorite part of the carnival.”



***



Spike eyed Buffy. He could tell by the way she was acting that she could feel his gaze. She knew she was being watched. When she had moved over to the other side of the carnival he did the same. He was watching the Summers girl, studying her movements, drinking her in. He thought about going over to talk to her but knew this wasn’t the best place to argue, and arguing would be inevitable at this point.



Spike refused to believe that his decision to stand and observe instead of approaching her had anything to do with his nerves. Oh no, nothing at all.



When he heard the DJ start up he watched her run to the dance floor.



Oh this should be interesting..., Spike thought.



He noticed as people crowded the dance floor when the first song started. Most of its occupants were teenagers, all of whom Buffy seemed to know. Must be her classmates, he thought.



He casually leaned against the side of the gazebo, lighting another cigarette and eyeing her.

And as soon as she started to dance, he almost dropped his Zippo.



Spike watched her like a hawk with owl sized eyes. Even if he wanted to move he couldn’t. He was entranced, focused on her. His eyes were plastered to this creature, this tanned beauty. He watched her move to the music, how she got lost in it, how she twisted her hips. How her hands trailed up her body and into her hair. How she just glided along the waves of the sound.



Spike figured Buffy must’ve forgotten about being observed. Whether she still felt his heavy gaze on her or not, she probably didn’t even think about it. She was being controlled by the rhythm.



And he was being controlled by her.



***



After a half an hour of straight dancing, Buffy went to get a drink. She finished her glass of water in five huge gulps, and headed back out to the dance floor. The sun was setting and it was getting cooler out, she didn’t even think about where Xander and Anya had gone. She was having too much fun. When she got back to the floor the music had changed, there was a slow beat playing now.



It was Better Days by the Goo Goo Dolls and everybody had doubled up. The slow dancing couples looked warm and sweet, happy and free. They were dancing on the waves of comfort. Buffy stood by the edge of the dance floor. She couldn’t dance by herself and decided that if no one asked her to dance she’d go grab her camera to take some shots of the heartwarming scene.



After a couple of seconds she decided she’d actually rather be capturing this moment with her camera than dancing. She headed over to her mom and when she returned she took five shots, all would be beautiful. The sunset made the lighting special and glow-y. Buffy returned her camera to her mom and went to get another drink while she waited for the song to change.



***



Spike watched Buffy standing at the edge of the dancing bodies, he almost thought about asking her to dance. The idea of having her in his arms made his heart beat faster, but before he could talk himself into it she was gone. He knew she’d return once the song changed.



A moment later he spotted her taking photos of the dance floor. Spike tilted his head in thought. She was smiling, gazing at the sight of the joined bodies moving gracefully together. Buffy looked like she herself was in a trance. Then she left again.



Spike scanned the crowd for her. He finally spotted her when white Christmas lights strung all around the square lit up. She was leaning against a tree sipping a soda, watching the swaying bodies. Again, Spike almost went over to ask her to dance, even though he knew she’d probably just shoot him down considering their last conversation, but then the song ended.



The beat was replaced by a sharp heady song, one he had heard before but never bothered to learn the name of. He didn’t like the song, but he liked how Buffy liked it.



She’s amazing, he thought.



He watched her dance to the beat, swaying her hips in tune to the music and moving her feet like they had minds of their own. She was beautiful and free.



Studying her, Spike felt… He felt… like maybe… bloody hell! He knew it was attraction, a strong one at that, but at the same time it was different! It was- Oh, sod it! He didn’t know what he was feeling.



Scratch that, he knew exactly what he was feeling.



Jealousy.



***



Buffy was flattered when Josh came up and started to dance with her. She’d always found him cute, but he had never showed interest before. She smiled as they moved. At first they swayed freely, hands lightly touching the other. As the song sped up so did their movements, he drew her in closer. Buffy found herself at first holding back, she’d never danced like this before because she had never allowed herself to try it. But the next thing she knew, she found herself giving in. She just kept thinking about Spike. The way he talked to her like she was a little kid, the way he made her feel so… innocent.



It pissed her off and she wanted to prove to herself that he was wrong. So Buffy decided to do a little dirty dancing with the cute boy. No harm no foul, besides, she was finding that this kind of dancing was actually… fun.



Little did Buffy know that if Spike was aware of the fact that he was the one who’d driven her to dance with Josh, the bleached teen probably would have literally kicked himself. Very hard.



***



Spike let out a low, inhuman growl.



The moment that stupid git in the purple T-shirt and blue jeans stalked up to Buffy, took her hands and started dancing with her, Spike‘s whole body stiffened. His hands tightened into fists at his sides. He spit his cigarette out and stomped on it angrily as his jaw clenched.



Someone was touching her. He wasn’t serious earlier when they’d been arguing!



Mother Fu-

Another growl.



Spike’s mind was screaming at him to run over there and rip the bloke’s arms off for even thinking of touching Buffy. He desperately wanted to punch the tosser’s lights out. The way he was groping her was turning Spike’s stomach into knots. But he knew there was nothing he could do about it. He couldn’t go over there and yell and hit and show jealousy for a girl he barely even knew. Buffy wasn’t objecting to the dancing so Spike just had to stay put…



And NO! He couldn’t just turn away either! His attention was glued to the heinous act of some other bloke touching his girl.



Wait. His?



When did he start thinking of Buffy as his?!



Spike was momentarily mind fucked at his subconscious slip. He didn’t even know this girl, never had he spent time with her. He’d had one conversation with her, and that had been a bloody argument! Now he was thinking of her as…



He was buggered. He was sure of it.



Spike roughly rubbed his hand over his face and swallowed hard. What was he going to do?



Stand and keep watching her until she was alone again, that’s what he was going to do. Then he’d approach her. The desire to argue with her again was still there, and he still didn’t understand it, but so was the need to just simply… be by her. Spike wanted Buffy to be his. So he stood and waited for the dancing to end, quickly lighting another cigarette.



This was torture.



Little did Spike know…



***



A certain ex-boyfriend of Buffy’s was watching the little show on the dance floor, glaring intently at Buffy and her dance partner. Mr. Finn’s foggy mind was telling him to wait until she was alone so he could find out why she was acting like this. Rage was slowly taking over as he finished another can of beer.



***



After three other guys took turns dancing with Buffy, Spike was ready to explode. Each one hand their hands all over her, and not once did she object! Couldn’t a girl as innocent as Buffy Summers feel like the blokes were pawing at her too much? Couldn’t she just give a tiny scowl or a light shove? Couldn’t she just not bump and grind with one pillock after another? Why was she torturing him? Couldn’t she just object once so he could jump in there and push the nit off of her? Was that really too much to ask?!



He was so sure Buffy wasn’t the dirty dancing type. God, did she always dance like this with blokes? Wow, he REALLY didn’t want to think about that.



Spike groaned. He needed a drink.



Yet somehow, his overwhelming need for alcohol was not strong enough to make him go look for it. Not when Buffy still had that ponce holding onto her waist and running his hand up the back of her-



Christ, couldn’t she just tell the wanker she was thirsty or something? And why’d she have to wear a skirt anyhow?!



Spike let out a giant sigh of relief when the song ended and Buffy finally left the dance floor.



***



Buffy finished yet another dance with a handsome male and then headed for the washroom. She was having tons of fun but felt rather sweaty and thirsty, too.



She made her way over to the café that was at the corner of the street. Several businesses that were in the town’s square had left their doors opened all day. None were actually open for paying customers, not with all of the carnival booths set up, but the doors were left unlocked for people to use the bathrooms. It saved money on having to rent porta potties.



Once Buffy had finished she stepped out of the bathroom and headed toward the now closed Café door.



She didn’t remember closing it.



Suddenly she was grabbed by the back of the arm and spun around.



“Riley.”

“Wanna tell me what you werre doing out- out there?” He spoke with a slur, obviously angry.

“You’ve been drinking.”

“Shut up!”



Buffy flinched. The last time Riley had been drunk was not a good memory for her. She tried to pull her arm away but his grip only tightened.



“What kind of slut h- have ya turrned into, huh?”

“Riley let go of me!” She started struggling again, and this time she wasn’t going to stop until he let go.



He pulled her closer and she could smell the alcohol on his breath. “Riley, listen to me.” Her voice was shaky. “Let me go. I-”

“You what?” His voice was deathly low. “Y- you wouldn’t come to this thing with- with me but you’ll fuck the first guy that comes around? Is tha- that it?! I didn’t realize afterr I dumped you that you- you’d- become such a pathetic sleaze!”

“Riley enough! Let go of me!”

“Did you like it, Buffy? D- did you like how they touched you? Huh?! You are n- nothing but a worthless whore!”



She finally pulled her arm free and quickly made her way to the door. She gripped the knob but it was locked. When she reached for the latch and twisted it, she was pulled back again. This time Riley held her with a bruising grip and spat his words right in her face.



“You’re such a bitch, ya kn- know that! I bet you cheated on me! I’m glad I dumped yourr ass! If I’d- If I’d known what a sl-slut you were I woulda done it a lllot sooner!”

“I dumped you and you can’t handle it! That’s why you’re so angry and you know it!” Buffy screamed her words, but as soon as they were out of her mouth, she regretted them. The one thing you didn’t do when Riley was drunk was yell at him.



He punched her right in the jaw and she fell hard, bumping her head on the edge of a nearby table.



***



Spike waited a few minutes before going after Buffy. He was finishing a cigarette and didn’t want to waste it...



Oh bollocks, he knew he was putting off talking to her. He got suddenly nervous again when the opportunity to speak with the cute blonde arrived.



Spike rolled his eyes at himself and threw his cigarette on the ground, smashing it with his foot before heading out in search of said blonde. He swallowed hard. Why was the mere thought of talking to this girl again thrilling him and scaring the shit out of him at the same time?



Spike caught something out of the corner of his eye. He turned and got the full view. Buffy was pulled backwards by some guy and turned around. Spike could tell this was not supposed to be a romantic encounter of any kind and quickly headed towards the café.



A split second later Buffy was punched in the face and Spike saw red. He ran full speed ahead into the coffee shop, hurling the door open just as the asshole who’d thrown the punch stepped closer to Buffy’s heavily breathing body.



Buffy looked up when she heard the café door open. Was that? Spike?



Spike lunged at Buffy’s attacker without so much as a second’s hesitation. The bastard didn’t even have a chance to make a defensive move. Spike wailed on him without thought, any hit that might have been received went unnoticed and unfelt.



Buffy tried to touch her jaw and hissed when it hurt at the feel of her finger tips. She was dizzy from banging her head. She slowly sat up and blinked hard, her eyes were beginning to focus once again. She turned to where she heard the two men fighting. Spike was hitting Riley with all of his force, battering the drunken teen. When he pinned Riley to the floor and continued wailing on him, Buffy was able to exit her shocked brain mode long enough to realize that the bleached boy had done a lot of damage to the football player’s face.



The long seconds he spent attacking Riley, Spike really wanted to check on Buffy, but he needed to make sure this blighter was down. He didn’t want to risk her getting hurt again. Spike was about to deliver another punch when he heard it, a small and weakly spoken “Stop.” from behind him. He stood shakily above a moaning Riley and quickly made his way over to kneel besides Buffy.



“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, just get me out of here.”



Buffy quickly tried to stand but she stumbled into Spike’s arms when her knees gave out.



“Easy.” He spoke softly when he caught her.



The blonde duo made their way out of the café and over to a nearby picnic table, leaving Riley on the floor of the coffee shop.

Buffy felt safe in Spike’s arms. She was warm and definitely grateful.



She felt protected.



Spike had her sit at the picnic table and leaned down next to her. “You sit here a minute. I’ll go an get-”

“No.” Buffy cut him off.

“What?”

“Don’t get anyone. I just- Riley was drunk- again. But he never would’ve hurt me if he was sober.” She rubbed the back of her head, moaning at the soreness.

“I was going to offer ice.”

“Oh… ice would be of the good, I think.” She tried to move her jaw and shut her eyes tightly at the pain.

Spike frowned. “You sure you don’t want me to find your mum? She’ll probably want to-”

“I said no.” She spoke a little more harshly than intended. “Look… I’m sorry, it’s just- The last time he-”

“The last time? This has happened before?”

Crap. “Yeah… one other time. He was drunk then, too.”



Spike didn’t think it was possible to hate someone this much. He sighed heavily and rubbed a hand through his hair. “Alright look. If you don’t give me somethin to do, I’m gonna go right back in there and kill the bastard. So either, I get you a pack of ice or I’m headed to jail.”



Buffy laughed a little then hissed once more at the pain sent to her jaw. She lifted her hand subconsciously to her face and grimaced at the lump forming there. “Ow.”



Spike sat down and looked her over. There was a bruise forming on her arm as well as the lump on her face. He gently touched the arm and she flinched but didn’t pull away. “What’d he do here?”



Buffy looked down. “Grabbed me.”

Spike’s jaw ticked. “Pretty hard it seems.”

“I’ll be fine. But could I take you up on that ice offer? My jaw is-”

Before she could finish Spike was making his way to the nearest booth.



Buffy smiled softly when he returned with a cup of ice. He placed some of the frozen chips in a napkin and wrapped them up before gently moving it up to her face.



She flinched before putting her hand a top Spike’s to position the ice over the right spot on her face. Their eyes locked and both teen’s hearts started beating faster.



“Thanks.”

She smiled again and Spike’s eyes glimmered. She really was breathtaking.



“Sure. Does this feel a little better then?”

“It does…” Buffy caught sight of his scratched and swollen knuckles. “Oh! Your hand- It’s…” She gently picked up Spike’s injured hand to inspect it.



Spike inhaled sharply at the contact. Her touch was so gentle. He winced though, when her finger tips graced an open wound.



“Don’t worry about it, pet. I’ll be fine.”

“You sure? Why don’t you put some ice on it- here.” She moved to put some ice chips in another napkin before he stopped her.

“Really Buffy, it’s okay. I can barely feel it.”



The truth was, he could feel it, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as it would be when the adrenaline finally wore off. He was still jumping around inside, but Spike was too concerned about Buffy to give a damn when it came to letting loose the extra energy, or to worry about his hurt feeler.



Before she could object, which he saw she was about to do, he asked her a question that had been nagging him. Whatever the answer, though, Spike knew he’d still hate the guy who dared touch her just the same.



“So…” Spike moved a strand of hair away from her face. “You wanna tell me what this was all about?” He gazed into her eyes; they were a beautiful dark green in the sheen of the Christmas lights above. He almost didn’t hear her response to his question.



“Well…” She sighed heavily, still trying to calm her fluttering pulse from the affectionate way he touched her hair. “Riley’s my ex, I broke up with him the first time he hit me. He doesn’t do well with alcohol.”

“I see.”

“I went into the café to use the bathroom and he was waiting for me when I came out. He yelled, I yelled back, he hit me, plain and simple. He was pretty drunk so I doubt he’ll really remember anything tomorrow.” She took a breath. “I don’t want to get him into trouble for something like this. He isn’t himself when he’s been drinking.”

“Did you tell anyone the last time he hit you?”

“Just my close friends and my mom. I made them all promise not to say anything, which they didn’t, but my mom’s not gonna know about it this time. The last time she said that if it happened again, she was going to talk to Riley’s dad.” Buffy half laughed. “His dad’s pretty strict as it is and if he heard about this... well, it wouldn’t be good.”

“He deserves it.”



Buffy looked up into Spike’s eyes. What she saw stunned her. He was looking at her with a stiff expression but his eyes held so much emotion… She gulped and tried to collect her thoughts. It was like they held her captive, those sapphire depths.

“Maybe… but he was drunk. Both times. I just don’t wanna get him into trouble over this. He may’ve become a jerk after we broke up but I know he wouldn’t have done something like this if he’d been sober.”



Spike just nodded, even though he REALLY wanted to go and beat the piss out of this Riley git some more. He wanted to talk to the bloke’s dad and the cops, too. Spike was no snitch, but Riley was a piece of shit if you asked him. Hitting a woman was something that always infuriated him, especially when talking about this woman. But Buffy did have a point, and it was solely her choice. People weren’t themselves when they’d been drinking, they were careless and they could hurt people. But that still didn’t mean he thought this Riley bloke was completely innocent either; hardly. If the son of a bitch ever tried to hurt Buffy again, come NEAR her again, Spike was pretty sure he’d kill him.



“So, do you have friends you wanna talk to? Anyone here besides your mum?”

“Um, actually yeah. Could you just- here.”

Buffy finally let go of his hand and let him hold the ice for her, leaving both of them to immediately miss the contact of the other. She went to reach for her cell phone from her pocket when she remembered she’d left it in her purse. “Oh, my cell’s in my purse. Do you have one on you?”

“Sure.” Spike took his cell phone from his duster’s pocket and handed it to her.

“Thanks.” She dialed Xander’s number.

“Hey, Xander? It’s Buffy. I know. It’s not my phone. Look, can you and Anya maybe meet me over by the um…” She paused to look around. “Italian Ice stand? I’m sitting at a table with a friend of mine. No, Willow and Tara aren’t back early. Yes Xander, I have other friends.” She rolled her eyes, causing Spike to chuckle. “Okay, thanks.”



Buffy handed her rescuer back his phone. She realized with regret he would probably be leaving soon after Anya and Xander showed. Spike had said he hated the idea of the carnival, and that’s where they currently sat. Guiltily, and not wanting to take up anymore of his time, Buffy sighed. “Thank you. Once they get here you can take off. I’m sure you’ve got better stuff to-”

“I won’t leave you.”



Spike was a little surprised at the strength he forced behind those words. He just felt very… protective of Buffy and he couldn’t help it. Maybe it had something to do with what had just happened, but it felt… deeper than that.



She looked at him quizzically. PLEASE tell me he’s serious…



“Uh- that is… I’m not busy. My plans were cancelled earlier so I’m free tonight. I’ll…” He focused his gaze on their now rejoined hands holding the ice. “I’d like to make sure you’re okay and whatnot.” He looked into her eyes again. “If you want- If you don’t mind, that is. I’d like to stay.”



Buffy wasn’t sure what made her do it, maybe it was the fact that there was cold water dripping onto her leg and she needed the ice to be removed from her face. But she wasn’t all too aware of much at the moment, Spike’s sudden boyish innocence and his words having just made her heart melt and her mind go foggy. She tenderly moved his hand that held the melting ice and brought it to her lips to kiss the side of it.



“I’d like that. Thank you, Spike.”


Chapter End Notes:
Sooooo? Thoughts? I know I'm starting to change the characters sort of quickly but I think it's good for who they are. They're also 17 remember, so changing is inevitable and both are experiencing new things. Buffy with her feelings & Spike with this town and the pull he has towards Buffy.
Remember this story is really long so there will be lots of fluff coming up but also I promise angst in later chapters! (and smut!)