Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story is dedicated to my beta: Sweetprinciple. Without your help and encouragement this would never be here. I also want to thank hulettwyo for being a beta too. I appreciate your help. Any errors or if it's just plain bad, blame me.
As Spike mused on the events of last November, he wondered what kind of fireworks had occurred after he’d left that night. He spent a lot of time musing on that night. It was one of the last times he felt things might turn around.



Wonder what I missed... would've loved to see Angel's face when Buffy set him straight. An' if she didn't, I know Joyce had to." Smiling softly, Spike huddled further into his coat and fell into a fitful sleep.



What Spike missed after he left...



Angel was still outside when Buffy returned from seeing Spike out and he started yelling at her again. "Why am I still out here?" he began, "Why am I out here and Spike was inside? What the hell was that?"



"Angel, wait-"



"No! Buffy, you invited Spike into your house! That's… that's stupid!"



"Excuse me?" Buffy's voice tightened dangerously, but Angel was too worked up to notice.



"Buffy, why would you ever invite Spike into your house? I can't believe you were so irresponsible! You're the Slayer, Buffy! You can't go around inviting vamps into your house!"



"Now hang on," Joyce weighed in, but Buffy stopped her, holding up a hand as a cold feeling grew in the pit of her stomach. She slowly approached the man she'd once loved so much. How dare he scold her like a child! Like he had no faith in her abilities. And God, in front of her mom? The guy had no relationship IQ. Was this how he’d always treated me? Like a child who didn't know her own mind? Filing that thought away for examination later, she came back to the conversation.



Buffy spoke coolly as she strode to the door to come face to face with her ex-lover through an invisible barrier. "I invited Spike into my house because we both wanted to stop you! Remember how you tried to end the world? He came to me,asked for a truce because it seems Spike actually likes the world exactly how it is."



Angel calmed down marginally, but still looked like he was struggling to hold the demon back. "Fine. You had a reason. But you forgot to disinvite him? You gave a guy with a reputation for killing Slayers a free pass into your house? He could've murdered your mother!"



"Spike could have, but he didn't. That’s not what he does. When he wants to hurt someone, he hurts them. He doesn't go around murdering Buffy's classmates and teachers, or torturing poor Mr. Giles instead!" Joyce spat, coming up behind Buffy protectively, fire in her eyes. Angel had the good grace to look ashamed and apologetic, but Joyce wasn’t buying it. "Don't try the puppy eyes look on me, mister. That works if you break a glass - not a woman's neck."



Buffy saw a side she rarely witnessed in her mother. Go Mom, she thought, impressed with her mother's strength, before turning her focus back to Angel. “I think I will take your advice on one thing, though. You're right; I shouldn't invite any vamps in. So I won't be inviting you in - ever again." Buffy slowly shut the door in his surprised face. "Go home, Angel. Go home and leave us alone. I have to take care of my mother. Some vampire scared the crap out of her. Guess which one." She shot him a glacial glare.



But Angel wouldn't let go of the door, using his massive strength to hold it halfway open. "Look, I'm sorry, and I know I can't make up for things Angelus did, or for scaring you tonight - but you can't trust Spike. Joyce - letting Spike in will get you killed. He might not be like me, but he's worse in his own way! He has no soul, he's violent, vicious, a killer."



Joyce turned towards him and gasped, "How dare you talk to me and my daughter that way? Spike has never threatened me. In fact, both times he’s been in this house, he’s been the perfect gentleman with me. Unlike you,bragging how you took my daughter's virginity and scaring me,breaking down my door just now."



"That wasn't me," Angel protested in a whiny voice.



"Sure looked like you." Joyce walked away from the kitchen, spine stiff, anger in every line of her frame."Spike is welcome here. Buffy can do what she wants, but this is my home too, and I say he's always to be treated as a guest in our house."



Buffy watched as her mother left the room. "Angel, don't ever speak to my mom that way again." She left to follow her mother, and after a few moments of stunned silence, Angel finally left, too.