Hotel Room Number Six

By: Saltygoodness

Summary: One-shot fic about an affair that became more. Spuffy. Of course!

Disclaimer: I own nothing except for the plot. Joss Whedon, ME, and UPN own everything else. Please don't sue me! What would you do with a whole $20.00 anyway?

Spuffiness rules all…

______________________________________________________________________________________

In room number six at the Sunnydale motel; two prone figures laid motionless on the single aged bed that stood against the wall. Light from the moon filtered in throw the window adjacent to the bed and lit up the room like a hundred tiny candles. All was quiet. All except for to wildly beating hearts of a man and a woman still joined as one.

Spike Mason stared blankly at the ceiling above him, his brilliant blue eyes studying the spots of mildew that lined the slowly caving roof. His platinum blonde hair shone brightly in the dark shadows enveloping the corner of the room in which the bed was positioned. Taking large gulps of air, the young man tired to calm his fatigued body down.

He blinked several times before turning his head to gaze down at the sleeping woman nestled comfortably in his arms. Her beautiful face was buried against his bare chest and her eyelids were closed, hiding the pretty hazel orbs that would always make him lose himself in her. He had one arm under his pillow and the other loosely draped over her tiny body. His chin was resting on top of her golden head, as he listened to her steady breathing while she slept- a ghost of a smile illuminating her whole face.

A thousand and one thoughts raced through his mind. One was standing out from all the rest. One that he knew would eventually be resolved. Soon he would have to come clean about all the lies, deception, and cheating he had committed. At this, he lifted his left hand out from under his pillow and brought it up in front of his handsome face. The simple golden band wrapped around his finger glinted in the light from the moon. A tiny spark of light bounced off the band and directly into his eyes, causing him to shut them tightly.

Adultery. That's what they call it-when you're married. When you commit such a pity crime of sexual indiscretion. Like he did. Like he was. Spike couldn't even think about the way Dru would act if she ever found out. She would be ashamed, humiliated by their friends and family, and embarrassed by the looks she would receive from the others that knew them. She would hate him. But why shouldn't she? He had promised to forsake all others for only her when they had said those vows, and he hadn't lived up to his end of the bargain. She should hate him. He sure as hell did. Because even though a tiny voice in the back of his head yelled and screamed and told him how wrong he was, but a bigger, more pronounced little voice said that he didn't care.

He remembered when he and Dru were happy. Before life fucked everything up and they became jaded. Before he stopped loving her. Before he met his golden goddess. It just started out as an affair- something purely physical. That was the one thing that kept him from going insane in the beginning- the fact that he truly loved Dru, and his relationship with Buffy was just meaningless sex. But all that changed the night he realized he was in love with her. That was the night his whole world fell apart.

He opened his eyes after a few moments, turning his attention back to the blonde woman at his side. He lowered his head and planted a soft, feather-like kiss atop her golden locks. God, he loved this woman. He loved her more than he had ever loved his wife and that thought alone made his stomach wrench. He knew that he could never leave her- not even if he tried. And deep down, he was sure that if Dru ever found out about what he had been doing, and decided she could forgive him if he would just break it off with Buffy, he wouldn't do it. He couldn't do it.

Buffy stirred in her sleep, snuggling farther into his chest and wrapping her thin arms around his flat torso tightly, as if he might disappear while she slept. She made a soft, an almost inaudible sound, whispering the three words that would always haunt him whenever he went home and crawled into bed with Dru. "I love you."

And even thought he knew better- even though he knew he shouldn't say it, he couldn't deny her.

"I love you, too."

The words hung in the air of the warm summer night, making it harder to breathe, seemingly vacuuming all the air out of the dingy little room with a shiny brass number six on the outside of the door. How the hell did life get so bloody complicated? How the hell could he live this big huge lie conveniently disguised as his life? How the hell was he supposed to go on living his life in a loveless marriage when all he so desperately wanted to do was stay here, in this old bed, wrapped in the arms of the woman he loved more than anything in this life?

Reaching down, he pulled the covers up over their nude bodies, pulling Buffy closer to him in the process. She was never close enough to sate his lust for her. He was sure nothing ever could. But one fact that lingered in the back of his mind plagued him whenever he touched her.

She deserved better.

She was a nineteen-year-old college student at US Sunnydale. She had friends, family, and tons of boys lined up outside her dorm room ready to knock down her door to get a date with her. She had her whole life ahead of her. She didn't need to be wasting her life being the other woman to a married twenty-five-year-old, who didn't have the balls to leave his wife for fear of her hating him. It wasn't fair to her, not at all. She should be out enjoying life, exploring possibilities, and just having fun. Why did she want to be here in this dank hotel room making love with him? Because that's what it was-right from the beginning. Never, ever was it just meaningless sex between them as he tried so hard to convince himself. It was always making love with Buffy.

He knew she felt it when he left her in the morning. She felt the cold hard stab of jealous driving into her heart. What he didn't know was that she would sit in her lectures and wonder what he was doing at that very minute. Was he at work? Was he at home with her? Having sex with her? And some nights she would be right, even though she would never ask. She could never find the right words to because she never wanted him to know that she was jealous. That everyday when she woke up in his warm muscular embrace, she feared that he would suddenly realize that he doesn't really love her and want to end their relationship and rebuild his marriage. That she wants to beg him to not go home, to stay with her forever and not feel ashamed about what he was doing with her. That she secretly wished every minute of the day that he would divorce Dru and marry her. No, she would never tell him that.

Now, as the darkness of the night sky shadowed the two lovers' faces, Spike Mason finally gave into the feeling of fatigue that loomed over his entire being. And in the gently, loving embrace of his beloved, Buffy Summers, he found peace, love, and life. He gave her his heart and she to him. And they were loved, completely.

And tomorrow life would go on as it always does, things would go back to the seemingly normal, happy existence. And the two prone figures that lay motionless on the single aged bed that stood against the wall of room number six at the Sunnydale hotel would wait quietly for night to fall once more and meet up to consummate their love again.

Because even a marriage license couldn't stop true love.

______________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Whatcha think? I've never written anything like this before, and I'm trying my hardest to branch out and try new things. Please review!

Giving my love to all,

~Saltygoodness~

______________________________________________________________________________________