Author's Chapter Notes:
CHAPTER 27: In the Shadows

CHAPTER RATING: T

CHAPTER PAIRING: Drusilla & Giles, Buffy/Spike

TIMELINE/SPOILERS: AU after AtS "Not Fade Away"

DISCLAIMERS: All BtVS characters are the property of Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy Productions. I'm just fixing their mistakes! Ha!

CHAPTER CREDITS: Dru says lines from "A Sad Sadness Song" by Current 93

CHAPTER NOTES: Sorry for the delay. I was on vacation last week and had to catch up with boring real-life stuff before I could get back to fanfic. :(
.

Giles had discovered quite a few life-changing things in the last 72 hours. One of which was that Drusilla was much more lucid when she was sated with Watcher blood.

To the core of his being, he was horrified by this. But on an immediate level, it was necessary—both for the vampire's own sustenance as well as the need for her to be clear of mind so that they could determine the full plan of the Khoisan Prophecy. Giles knew, having been Buffy's Watcher, that things never worked out like the textbook examples. No, the usual course of events surrounding him was the universal exception. So, always being aware of that, he tended to be flexible in how plans were hatched. Having Drusilla as part of the current one made him want to laugh at the Powers-that-Be, but, as always, he'd find a way to make it work. He had to; that's what he did.

Yeah, useless bastard.

"I've got prickles," Dru announced. She frowned at Giles from her place in his lap. "He's in the back garden."

The Watcher sighed. "Right, then." He still hadn't gotten through to the Coven, and his anxiety had been growing progressively worse as the day went on. For a quick moment, his mind shuddered.

"Ooooh!" Dru squealed. She shot up then, clapping her hands. "Yes, a spell! We'll contact them with a soft, cloudy spell!"

He hated when the vampire jumped into his mind like that. But, yes, a spell was probably the way to go, considering they couldn't leave and no one in the Coven was answering the phone.

Dru pondered while Giles began gathering ingredients. She had heard of this coven in Devon and couldn't wait to get her mind enmeshed in it. What delightful gifts they must harbor! As the Watcher placed herbs on his kitchen counter, she felt her lips twist down into a frown. There wasn't time for that game right now. No, her sweet William needed protection first.

"What are you do...?" Giles' question was cut off by a sudden kiss. Doubly-shocked, he stepped back. Dru had begun processing the ingredients without his assistance as though she had done this countless times. The message she sent him through that lip-lock confirmed it. How did he not know of her ability with magic? This changed everything. The stakes were higher, but now he truly believed he had a chance to protect Buffy.

.




.

"I'm not sure where he is, actually. From what I heard, he just took off."

Dawn looked at Clem as though her heart just got broken.

Buffy's fingers stroked the skull ring. "If I were Spike, where would I go?" she thought aloud.

"Oh!" Clem suddenly replied. "Vegas! Sin City!"

A snicker came from the youngest Summers girl. "Yeah, that sounds like a Spike-y place."

Buffy clapped her hands together as a plan was formed in her head. "Good. Clem, would you join us? I mean... can you?"

The demon grinned widely. "I'll do you one better. Come on." He headed towards an alley near the Hyperion, waving at them to follow. Dawn happily skipped after him.

"I'll take you there," Clem replied then, showing off a well-cared-for Winnebago.

"Omigod, is this yours?" Dawn bounced in excitement. It looked cool and fun and expensive. "How the heck did you afford this?"

Buffy shot her a look which made her blush. "Sorry, I mean..."

Clem brushed her embarrassment away. "Oh, no, it's legit. I got it in Mexico. Sold some extra skin for it."

Dawn was definitely sorry she asked. Ewwww!

Buffy was too, but she tried to hide it better. "You do look like you've lost weight since I last saw you."

"Yeah, the pounds just kept dropping after I swore off kittens. I never realized how fattening they were!"

The girls cringed again.

"But, hey, they pay top dollar for skin in Mexico. Great for grafts in burn units, apparently," Clem said proudly. "Was able to quit my job and everything!"

Buffy was happy for him, as odd as the reason was. "So, you wouldn't mind a little road trip then?"

Clem beamed. "Not if you don't mind my travel music."

.




.

Willow didn't think she'd tasted anything better than Maria's pasta. She ate more than could possibly fit in her tiny tummy. All that time asleep had made her ravenous.

Spike was in an uncharacteristically pleasant mood, and alcohol hadn't even been involved. His landlady Maria was alive and well, so far unaffected by whatever evil seemed to have been after all of his loved ones. Red was conscious again and apparently unharmed. This turn of events brought back his appetite, much to Maria's delight. The old lady just kept bringing out food, happy to see his skin take on a warm glow.

As Spike ate, Willow watched him curiously. Even when Buffy was dead, she hadn't spent this much time near him. There was so little she really knew of this vampire, despite everything that had occurred over the years. Like this whole eating thing. Look at how he was downing that pasta...with extra garlic? Huh? How was that even possible? He was like...savoring it. Angel never ate 'people food'. And, wait a sec... do vampires poop?

"Got sauce on my face?"

Spike's voice startled Willow from her thoughts. He was staring at her expectantly.

"Umm... what on your what?"

"Sauce. Face." She had been looking at him so intently that he couldn't help but pry. Sure, she was a daffy girl, but she was also an insanely powerful witch. And if she was looking at him like that...

.




.

Giles let out a long-held breath and cleaned his glasses. He was thankful he had kept his previous pair, even though the prescription was old. He'd have never gotten Dru away from Angel if he hadn't. Hell, he'd have never been able to leave the bloody house.

Stop nattering, Ripper spat at him.

His attempt at contacting the coven had failed, despite his best efforts. The ingredients had been mixed expertly, he had to admit. So the problem must have been him.

"I got nothing, I'm afraid," he admitted to Drusilla.

She gave him a pitying look, then patted his hand as though to say 'perhaps we should let the professional have a go now'.

Giles sighed and tried to hide his embarrassment.

Dru took over then, commanding with a fluidity he hadn't seen in quite some time. He watched as she wove the spell, making mental notes as to her technique. A few minutes into it, she appeared to reach their target. Thoughts played across her face, like she was clearly putting forth effort.

With a frown, the vampire whispered softly: "Neither coming here nor going; Neither heaven here nor hell; Neither borning here nor birthing; Neither dying here nor death." She opened her eyes then and shook her head sadly.

.




.

Angel watched the scene from the garden window. Despite the events of the past day, he was pleased that at least one part of his plan had worked. That bokor hadn't come cheap.

With the coven incapacitated, Giles wouldn't be able to warn Spike. Angel hadn't anticipated that Dru would be helping the Watcher, but he wasn't worried about that, really. Angelus had broken her so thoroughly that there was no way she'd ever be lucid enough to really assist in any sort of rescue operation (if, in fact, that was what those two were up to).

He could leave them to their parlor games. It was time to go back to the States and stake his claim.

.