Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi guys! This is my second fic! It's gonna be long, just warning you. I love reviews and appreciate the time you put into writing them! I may not respond to them all, but i DO read them all so please feel free to let me know what you think! (please no flaming, constructive criticism is always appreciated though!)

WARNING: I am writing this as I go along. I've got a basis for it, and an idea for places where I'm headed, but the warnings are not set in stone. I can promise there will be no rape, Buffy/other, or Spike/other. However, I might (for example) decide to do an ATTEMPTED rape scene, or i might want to kill off a character (most likely not a main one so relax), but just be prepared. I'm sorry, but i am telling you now!
Buffy slowly unpacked her small suitcase, no more than all she owned stored tightly inside. Worn upholstery covering the hard corners of the valise, torn in some parts but soft dark rose color showing where the fabric was intact. It smelled of sweet dust and lavender and sentiments. The memories this bundle probably held, how many she could only guess. Decades up in the attic of her home that used to stand tall and proud with the knowledge that it soon would be passed down to the next Summers girl or boy. There was no telling what this little suitcase of hers would say if it could talk. It would probably spill some mischievous secrets only lonely wives and stubborn husbands should know of.

The suitcase of the past. Hmm. Buffy liked the sound of that, it sounded like some title to a kid’s novel. A book, one filled with adventures of a magical travel bag that would whisk people off to captivating lands.

The thought made the blonde girl smile slightly. It was her little tattered suitcase, which was nice because not much was hers anymore.

Inside the old wooden carrier were some clothes, three books, her grandfather’s old wristwatch, two pairs of shoes- she only had the two asides from the pair on her feet –some makeup, and a little flip book of photos with singed edges. She had some money in her jean jacket’s pocket, a locket around her neck, and a ponytail on her wrist. The girl had only brought with her what she had left. What the fire hadn’t destroyed.

Taking a deep breath and allowing two teardrops to slip from her eyes, the young woman swallowed hard and let out a shuddering breath.

Two tears, no more than that today.

She’d been in her Grams’ house for no longer than forty-five minutes and already it felt nicer than the hotel room she’d stayed at back in San Francisco. She was currently standing in her new bedroom. It was simple and not too large, as well as had a sweet southern feel to it that she liked.

The walls were deep champagne, but it was attractive. The mattress was soft and had so many homemade quilts lining it you’d think the thing was going to be used to catch a skydiver falling without his parachute. The dark wooden frame of the bed was obviously antique, and matched the molding that lined the room. The one large window she had was open, letting in the lovely smell of honey and autumn.

Alabama wasn’t so bad.

The chest of drawers by her door was tall and had cream colored lace draped across it. There was a purple shaded lamp next to a small angel statue adorning the piece of furniture as well. Next to her bed was a tiny two-drawer table, white painted wood with cold metal handles. The girl, sitting at the head of the mattress, leaned down and opened her nightstand. The bottom drawer was bare. The top one though held nothing other than a bible. Buffy smiled again and murmured to herself. “That’s Grams.”

Grams- her grandmother.

Buffy arrived not too long ago at the place she now called home. It had been a pretty slow bus ride from California to Alabama. Every mile farther she got from San Francisco she felt like a part of her was drifting away.

The move was sad and yet uplifting, as well as scary and hard; new and also uncomfortable. Her emotions were pretty hard to discern most of the time.

At present the girl was alone in her new house, breathing in the southern air and soaking up the warmth. Her Grams was out to the market. After picking Buffy up from the bus station and settling her in, the older woman had gone out to do the grocery shopping, claiming her granddaughter needed a hearty southern dinner after her long journey.

Buffy had declined the offer to go with. Instead she’d stayed back and gave herself the grand tour of the southern abode, including the creepy cellar- yes, she’d forced herself to go down there. She’d also explored the garden, admired the lettuce and other foliage growing in the back, and inspected the freshly painted kitchenette.

All together the place was inviting and homey. Tranquil.

Anne, her Grams- (hence why Buffy’s middle name was Anne as well) –had been a widow for over twenty years now. She’d lived in a small town her whole life, never planned on leaving. She was Buffy’s only really close family left at this point, and had taken the girl in.

The older Summers woman was always instantaneous with her love and care, and the young blonde adored her grandmother for that.

Her Grams’ affection was all that was keeping Buffy strong, for only a month and a half ago everything had changed…

The teenager was torn from her thoughts by a voice. It was accompanied by the rattling of the screen door up front of the house.

The girl ran ahead into the living room and pulled on the handle, letting her grandma inside and quickly taking one of the two large paper bags from the lady’s arms.

“Oh thank you dear.”

“Grams why didn’t you come get me to help you with these?!”

The woman eyed her granddaughter over the brown sack still in her hands. “Oh relax child I’ve been doin this here by myself since your granddaddy passed on. I know how to carry a grocery bag or two.” She admonished in her southern drawl.

Buffy’s brain immediately went to Papa at the ‘granddaddy passed on’ part of that sentence, but she knew her Grams hadn’t meant him. She didn’t let the look of sadness stay on her features for too long, quickly hiding it before Anne could notice. “Well I’m here now, so next time just come an get me.”

The women walked into the kitchen. “Do you have any other bags?”

“No dear.” They both set the filled packages down on the countertop. “And I wouldn’t a brought these things in with me on my own had you come with me down to the market.”

Buffy looked down a little guiltily, but her Grams gently pulled her chin back up. “Elizabeth, ya do realize sooner or later yous gunna have to get that cute little butt a yours out the house.”

The girl smiled slightly at the name, not many people actually called her that back home. Elizabeth was her given name, Buffy was just a nick. “Can’t I just keep my cute little butt inside? I mean, if you think it’s that adorable- Well there’s just no tellin WHAT will happen when I walk by a group of boys.”

Anne’s eyes squinted accusingly. “Oh now don’t you go pullin that stuff on me. You’re not a youngin anymore, Buffy, you’re nineteen! I think it might be good f’ya got some male attention ‘round here, but that’s not what I want you ta go out for an you know it.”

The teen rolled her eyes. “I go out, Grams.”

“Yeah, you go out.” The woman started methodically unloading the groceries. “Ya go walkin ‘round the block with your nose in a book, ya go to grab coffee somewhere and never bring ya eyes off a the page you're workin on.”

Okay so Buffy had always been a fan of books, she enjoyed reading. Ever since the incident a month and a half ago she’d taken it up dramatically, too. It was a nice escape- and without her friends she had more time on her hands.

To tell you the truth the books were better company than Buffy’s pals in California had been.

“Reading’s good.” She pouted inadvertently.

“You’re right, it is good.” Anne shut the refrigerator door and her voice turned soft. “But Buffy ever since…” A look was exchanged and no words needed be said to elaborate on the painful topic. “You just closed off after everythin. And I know you said you was givin farewells to ya friends last week back in San Francisco, but darlin’ asides from me when else have ya talked to anybody?”

“The funeral.” Buffy mumbled and looked hard at the wall.

Grams sighed. “I’m sorry honey. I didn’t mean ta-…”

The woman engulfed her granddaughter in a hug and the teenager returned it. A few tears slipped past her green eyes no matter how hard she tried to will them away.

“S’just I think I’m the only one you’ve opened up to at all, an none that wasn’t family came to the services… I just don’t want you to get lonely, especially now since you’re gonna be takin time off f’school an won’t have many people your age to hang ‘round with.” Her voice was worriedly strained.

The two women pulled apart and looked on at one another, both sets of eyes wet from sadness.

“I’ll be fine, Grams. I promise.”

She gave the girl a look.

Buffy sighed. “Tomorrow. Okay? I’ll go out tomorrow. I just got here, and I’ll need to explore. Haven’t seen this old town since I was, what- ten?”

Her grandmother laughed and wiped at Buffy’s eyes. “It has been a long time.”

The teenager smiled. “I think the last time I was here you didn’t have grey hair.”

“Hey now!” Grams slapped the girl’s arm playfully. “Watch your mouth, you may not be ten anymore but I sure as can put you over my knee if I havta!”

“Oh you wouldn’t!” Buffy grabbed a loaf of bread off of the counter to defend herself with at her Grams’ threatening move forward.

“Yeah.” The lady nodded. “You’s smart to be scared. I may got grey hairs but that means I’m older. I’m tougher. I’d take you out in a heartbeat lil missy.”

Anne had a smile lying beneath those eyes, and Buffy wore a similar expression.

Already it felt a little bit better being away from California.

***



After a nice dinner and some much needed laughter, the two Summers women found themselves curled up for the night watching movies. There were four, two Buffy chose and two Grams picked out.



It hadn’t taken long for the ladies to get fully absorbed in the films, and it also hadn’t taken very much time for Buffy to realize (for what had to be the thousandth time) that her and her Grams were very much alike.



They enjoyed the same movies, old and new. They liked each other’s tastes in music, food, often ended up telling one another the same jokes over and over again. They held the same mannerisms, like the biting of the lower lip habit. And Grams had many a time recommended a book for her granddaughter to read that of which was loved by the teenager.



The only difference between the two relatives Buffy herself could discern was the way they dealt with sadness.



Grams was open and would talk about her feelings, while Buffy… didn’t. She tried to close up when upset; it was the way she was wired.



She had known this for some time about herself, and although she welcomed what little happiness given to her from those close to her, she was not close to many.



As Buffy closed her bedroom window and started removing quilts so she could lie down in bed for the evening, Anne came into the room and turned the lamp on, sleepy smile stilled on her face. “Just came in ta say goodnight.”



Buffy folded one more quilt and set it on a nearby armchair with the others before approaching her grandmother and giving her a hug. “Goodnight, Grams.”



“Night, sweetie.” She kissed Buffy on the cheek.



The teenager walked over to her bed and sat down, sticking her feet beneath the covers.



“Ya sure you’ve got everythin ya need, now? Want an extra sheet or anythin?”



Buffy shook her head.



“You sure? If those quilts are too heavy I can always get ya somethin lighter.”



Again, the teen shook her head. “Thanks, Grams. I’m good though.”



“Alright.” She went to turn out the lamp, but stalled before flipping the switch. “Tomorrow I ‘av a church meetin, but if you want you can go into town and get some things for yaself. I know you don’ have much with you and a girl’s gotta have the necessities- Maybe some new clothes, rouge, lipstick, anythin you wanna add ta your room here. You just go on an get it, I’ll leave cash on the counter for you in the mornin.”



Buffy smiled warmly. She had a bank account of her own setup here at a local bank now. The insurance company came through after everything that had happened, but even if they hadn’t her Grams would have offered to buy her stuff. The lady might live in a little house in a tiny town, but she knew how to save and so had Grandpa Summers. “Thank you, Grams. But if I get anything it’ll be with my own money, you’ve done enough already.”



Anne turned the little lamp off then, but since the moonlight streamed in through the curtains Buffy could see the kindhearted smile gracing her grandmother’s lips. “The money’ll be on the counter in the mornin.”



She turned to leave and Buffy got better situated in her full sized bed before calling out into the air. “I’ll be buying some groceries around here from now on, too! M’not gonna leech off a you, Grams!”



“Oh will ya quit your hollerin, it’s the bewitchin hour for Christ’s sake!”



Buffy grinned once more before resting her head.



Maybe tonight she’d be able to fall into a comfortable sleep.


Chapter End Notes:
Review please!

UPDATE 7/18: ATTENTION: Due to the site possibly going offline for a little while(see the home page), this story will also be posted at http://www.booksie.com/fan_fiction/novel/aliciaparavola/bfmd-(be-fearless-my-dear)/chapter/1

You can click on the newest chapter as it is updated. I just posted all of the current chapters onto that site, but it's not just Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. For example, chapters 3-5 are all under "chapter 3" for the way the site is laid out, and I wanted to post as quickly as possible, but not all of them are like that.
Chapters AFTER chapter 23 will ONLY be posted there IF the Spuffy Realm goes offline.
There are no words to explain how much I appreciate the work and upkeep those who run this site put in and continue to do. And fortunately, they're making it so we will all still be able to read the stories already posted on here, writers just wont be able to update. I love TSR and if it does go offline, I hope it's only temporary. I don't know Pari personally, but they're a wonderful person for keeping this site up and I really wish them the best, as well as everyone else who keeps the Realm up to date and working, all of those who are able to donate, and everyone who reads and visits.
Love to all! -Linnae