Author's Chapter Notes:
The calm after the storm. Before the storm.
Buffy opened her eyes, blinking hard. Once. Twice. Thrice. She felt the pillow against her head first, then the ache of her limbs, and lastly, her body, naked and sweaty. She raised her head, rubbed her eyes with her hands and sat up.

“Morning,” a lazy, smug voice said, as a hand caressed her back, making her look over her shoulder.

Buffy gasped when she saw Xander lying back against the headboard, a sly satisfied smile on his face. And then she remembered.

“Oh,” she said, as the memories came flooding back.

Last night. The things I…..we…….the things we did.

“Oh god,” she whispered, shutting her eyes, realizing that she was too overcome with shock to feel anything. She was damn glad of that. She didn’t want to feel. Not yet. Not now. Not ever.

“Morning,” Xander said, running a finger down her back, pausing to caress her flesh.

“No,” Buffy said, pushing his hand away angrily, turning around to glare at him, clutching the sheet to herself. She was happy to focus on her rage, anything to distract from the hurt she knew was coming. Eventually.

“That’s……..over.”

Xander chuckled, gently tugging at her bedsheet. She’d put on a hell of a show last night. And now, he expected it to continue. For a little while at least.

“Soon,” Xander said, giving the sheet a tug. “Not yet.”

“It is,” Buffy hissed, “you promised……..”

“You’ll get everything you want,” Xander whispered. “I remember.”

Buffy opened her mouth to tell him to leave, but he cut her off.

“After I get everything I want…….” he said, biting his lip and pulling at the sheet. Buffy folded her arms, stopping the cloth from moving any lower.

“Are you sure?” Xander said, the threat in his voice unspoken, but present.

It would all be for nothing, she realized. She wanted to have left the things she did last night, no, the things that that Buffy did in the darkness, but she had no choice.

Just a little while more.

Buffy’s hold on the sheet slackened and he tugged until only their nakedness was left between them. As Xander came forward and took her in his arms, Buffy realized he had absolutely no intention of letting her go. Until he absolutely had to. She was right. He kept her in bed all morning, his smooth voice coaxing threats that she knew that would have made her skin crawl, had she been able to feel.

Xander Harris couldn’t stop himself for grinning as he dressed himself. He’d done it. He’d bedded Buffy Summers, his dream girl. He’d had her in every way a man could have a woman last night. At least twice. He’d made sure of that. And this morning was just the cherry on….her cherry. He noticed that she wasn’t looking at him. He wondered if she was wary of antagonizing him.

“You should go,” Buffy said, her voice weary.
“I need to……….”

Buffy stopped herself. She wouldn’t think of him. She wouldn’t. Not until Xander was gone.

“Welcome back your husband,” Xander said, giving her a sly smile. One she had seen up close, several times already. One that would haunt her dreams.

“I know. He’s a lucky man”

“Go,” Buffy said, turning her head. “Just….go.”

Xander nodded, then sat down. He bent over her, then turned her face until she was looking at him.

“Goodbye Buffy,” he whispered, touching her face. And then before she could stop him, he kissed her one last time. A long, insistent kiss that went on forever. When Buffy opened her eyes, he was licking his lips, savouring a final taste of her. She closed her eyes again and when she opened then he was gone.

Like a bad dream that never happened. But it had happened. And it wasn't a dream.

What now? she thought desperately, looking around. What now?


Chapter End Notes:
So, what now you ask? Well, stay tuned.....