Author's Chapter Notes:
I got an idea in my head and it wouldn't go away so i decided to write a short little fic. I was surprised i was actually able to write something with only one chapter and that wasn't NC-17. I'm a fairly new fanfic writer but I know i love long stories as well as smut so... yeah. I hope anyone and everyone who reads this enjoys!
He stood from the corner, studying her. Watching the girl. A shine hitting her hair and making the fluorescence of the school’s shitty lighting system seem more generous in its compliments than in its misgivings. She listened to her friends prattle on about something, and Spike couldn’t tell whether she was interested and just tired, or trying her hardest to keep her attention focused on a boring topic. She was wearing a smile and a short skirt, which often was her daily ensemble. No way could he not notice the girl.

Asides from the beauty of her softly tanned legs and gorgeous face, the blonde carried an air about her. She was popular, but not in the way of one well-known Cordelia Chase, head cheerleader and privileged snob.

No. Buffy was loved by all in this little high school, even the Queen C. had a grudging respect for her. Why? Not because she was one of the rich brats, not because she could smile like a bobble head while doing the splits, and not because she was the star of the swim team. She was popular just because. She was sweet to people, and witty; kind to the outcasts and fit in with the elites of Sunnydale High.

You might ask why a guy like Spike knew anything about this cheery bubble-gum girl. Well, as he’d said, everyone knew Buffy; even him. A bloke who was in the same group that hated prissy cheerleaders and steroid pumped jocks. He was part of the crowd that’d been dubbed ‘Punk’ some time ago, he couldn’t remember when. According to everyone else, he was just another person in a click.

He supposed it was simpler that way, easier for their tiny brains to mold around a given label. It was like saying ‘I know you’ to a complete stranger, and it made people feel at ease.

You couldn’t know people that way. You could never go up to someone and say ‘You’re this way because it’s the category I’ve decided to put you in.’

Didn’t stop people from doing it of course.

So Spike was christened, from a far and from strangers, as a Punk. Some idiots might call him Goth, and he’d just as soon knock their teeth out. Yet an outcast like him shouldn’t notice Buffy. Everyone knew her, sure. And so the simplicity of knowing her name wasn’t unusual even for him. But he didn’t just know her name. He noticed her.

Buffy was popular because she was sweet and kind, people liked her. She talked to anyone who talked to her. When she saw an unfortunate soul being bullied and they weren’t handling things well, she would step in and always somehow managed to end the cruelty without angering any party involved. She wasn’t a cheerleader, she wasn’t a geek, she wasn’t an actress. She was just Buffy and everybody loved her.

He remembered seeing the bird the first day of his junior year. She’d moved through the hallways with nerves weighing her down but also with enough grace to catch anyone’s eye.

He’d gotten distracted the first time he first spotted her, ended up tuning out his friend and what the bloke had been talking about right quick. Just because he’d been caught by the strut of a golden girl that had something special about her.

From then on he’d watched, silently. He was a senior now and though she was a grade below him, there wasn’t anyone who’d quite captured his attention like this one did.

It had taken him months to get over the annoyance and genuine anger he’d felt at himself for always watching her. For always studying her. His observance grew week by week, and Spike had only talked to her a few times in all, once when he’d bumped into her while turning a corner and another instance when she’d asked to borrow a pencil.

There was of course, that other time, back in April of last year when he’d been having a smoke after school outside of the building. Most everyone had already left but she’d come walking out of Sunnydale High’s big front doors with a cell phone stuck to her ear as she shouted at someone on the other end.

“Well that’s fine! I should’ve expected this from you, and ya know what the really sad part is? I did! I probly would’ve been more surprised if you had actually shown up.”

He’d listened with a begrudgingly interested ear. Who’d gotten her so riled? He’d only seen the girl’s temper flare a couple of times, she was usually really good about containing it. But oh when she was angry, watch out. The little firecracker had gone off one time on a fellow student, and twice on their worm of a principal.

Spike didn’t blame her. Buffy’s reasons for doing so had never been illegitimate. Course, he always ditched gym, hated wearing those fucking uniforms. He liked working out at home anyway, but when he’d heard about the incident where she had called Parker Abrahams an egotistical and pathetic pig for grabbing her crotch during some stretching maneuvers or some such, Spike wished he’d been there to see it.

Though if he had been he probably would’ve gotten himself expelled. By the time the story got to him, Parker had gotten sent to military school. Guess the git was a piece of work for his parents long enough and one last call from the principal’s office had been the last straw.

Lucky for Parker. Better in a military school then in a coma, Spike supposed.

So anyway, when the Brit witnessed Buffy screaming with rage into her phone and bordering on tears, he’d wondered what the hell had sent her into such a state.

“Fine! Yeah, yeah. Of course. It’s always too important to miss. I’m just expendable."

Then she hung up. And Spike had almost choked on air at the feeling that hit his chest when he saw her begin to cry.

She looked like she hated herself for letting it happen, as if she should have better control over her emotions. Like it made her weak and pitiful to cry.

He’d been two seconds from going up to her, two bloody seconds from pushing himself off of the brick wall of the school and walking up to her to ask if she needed a ride home or… anything. But he hadn’t needed to. She’d turned and ran smack into him.

Well turns out Spike had pushed himself off that brick wall. He just hadn’t realized his feet were moving while he was watching her with helplessness. She’d looked up at him then, her eyes red and embarrassed. Something flickered in her gaze like recognition, but it was accompanied by a flush on her face. That was another thing about the chit. She blushed all the fucking time and it drove Spike nearly out of his head.

“C-can. I- Do you want something?” She’d stuttered nervously after a moment. Obviously standing there and staring at her wasn’t a natural form of conversation between two strangers, even if they did go to the same school and shared three classes together.

So Spike had asked her, with cool smoothness (he had no bloody clue how he managed it), “Are you okay?”

She’d sniffled, almost thieving him of the control he was trying to keep to refrain from tugging her closer. “I-I’m. Yeah. It’s just my dad. You know parents.”

Then she laughed, a light laugh that was pathetic in its simple attempt at being so. She went to sidestep him but before she could get away he touched her arm gently to stop her.

“Do, um. You have a way home?” He knew she always got picked up after school, or at least caught a ride with a friend. He’d never seen her walk.

An inquisitive stare was then expressed in her eyes, and he’d looked away in embarrassment for asking her the question. Which he still to this day didn’t understand. He was never embarrassed about anything, especially when it concerned a woman.

“Um, n-no- Well, yeah I do. I just, have to.. call my mom.”

He had nodded briskly, quickly pulling out another cigarette and lighting it without looking at her. Then with a fast goodbye he left. He had gone over to the open gate that enclosed the football field and walked over by the bleachers to finish his smoke.

Sitting on the cool bench seats he’d eyed her discreetly until her mum showed. The older lady enveloped Buffy into a hug the minute she pulled up, and then they’d both left.

He figured he knew what had happened with her dad to upset her, Spike knew Buffy’s parents were divorced. He didn’t like the thought of her hurting, and very quickly developed a dislike for a man he didn’t even know simply because the wanker had caused Buffy pain. Her own father and…

It was thoughts like that which had always managed to get Spike cursing and berating himself. His attraction to Buffy wasn’t healthy for him. It was strong and, frankly, admirably irritating. He couldn’t do bollocks about it. Shagging girls left and right certainly didn’t change anything, even when he’d wanted it to.

But he remembered, the next month, May of his junior year, when his friend had finally jabbed him in the ribcage and drawn his attention to a fact he’d been ignorant of before. Evidently, Spike wasn’t the only one who’d been watching.

Her gaze flickered back to the friend she was talking with, but he’d seen. He’d seen Buffy looking at him.

“Haven’t you noticed it before?”

“Yeah are you kidding? That girl’s always gawking at you, Spike. She’s crushin’ hard, has been for like the whole damn school year.”

“Sunnydale High’s sweetheart has a thing for one of us punk outcasts? Who woulda thunk?” Laughter. Laughter from his friends rang in his ears while he stared at her.

“She must think you’re ‘really keen’ Spike, wanna spin her wheels ya think? Take her for a ride?”

“Pfft! Yeah. Cuz de-virginizing sophomores is somethin the Big Bad’s always jonesin’ to do. Get a grip.”

The comments landed like frail leaves on soft grass, silent and meaningless.

She likes me? She…

Spike squinted. He caught her gaze for a split second when she looked back in his direction then promptly dropped her eyes and-

She blushed.

Spike didn’t even try to stop his grin.

And from then on she’d been his.

He hadn’t dignified his friend’s crude comments with a response. He hadn’t cared.

He didn’t care what they thought at all, Spike always did what he wanted. Nothing got in his way when he set his mind to something, and until he’d known Buffy was interested in him, he hadn’t considered following an attraction that he’d learned very quickly would be lethal. She could engulf him whole, and he would lose himself completely without a care.

Oh, Spike knew from the very beginnings of his little obsession that he would end up going after her no matter what, but it had been fought by him tooth and nail for so long that the habit of just watching from a distance became second nature. Albeit, the irritation at himself had grown, for watching her and not being able to kiss her when he wanted. Or touch her, place a hand on her waist, or run his fingers through that golden mane attached to her head.

The snapping of his patience was only a matter of time. It had just been speeded up by his mate’s when they’d tugged the blinders off. Spike still, to this day, as he stood nearby watching the girl he adored, couldn’t believe he’d been so dumb as to miss it before.

She did look at him, watched him. Studied him out of the corners of those beautiful green eyes. For all of May he’d paid attention and finally saw her admiring him.

It was a strange revelation, one that left Spike giddy for the last of his junior year.

Now it was September, he was a senior and she was in the place he’d been only months before. The Summer months had taken her away before he could ask her on a date, sent her to L.A. to spend time with daddy dearest he’d found out. But now she was back, and he was thoroughly determined.

He licked his lips slightly as he appreciated her toned legs. The girl was a bloody picture, short little blue skirt showing off her skin and drawing attention from surrounding blokes she didn’t even notice were staring. The horny gits who watched her had always been a test of patience for Spike. Buffy didn’t realize just how much of a temptation she was.

Perhaps the irritation he felt for always watching and thinking about the girl came attached to the bone deep fact that he was hers, and she could have absolutely anyone when all he wanted was her.

And he was tired of waiting.

It was the first month of school and he was leaning against a bleak yellow wall that was about twenty feet away from Buffy’s locker, watching her with conquest in his eyes. It was the end of the day, thank the bloody maker, and she had two text books in her arms as she talked with a couple of friends.

Still plenty of people around, despite the fact that the last classes had been dismissed not long ago. Teens of every click and ‘type’ milled around, chatting with one another and gathering their things before heading home.

A cheerleader passed Buffy on her way out of the school and lightly touched his girl’s arm, nodding and smiling with a “See you tomorrow” quick on the lips.

Buffy responded with a friendly grin and a nod before she went back to listening to the others next to her.

People continued passing, a few more offering sweet goodbyes to her. It was true. She was Sunnydale High’s sweetheart.

And soon everyone would know how he felt about her. And if she said yes to his offer to take her out, which he hoped (and was pretty confident) she would, then there’d probably be an uprising.

Spike smirked. Like he’d said. He was a Punk, definitely not on the popular list, and many judged him at this school. He’d beaten the crap out of enough of the blokes on the sports teams to get a rep for being violent when messed with, as well as gotten half the school to hate him just for bruising the star quarterback’s pretty face.

The Brit let out a small scoff. Wanker had it coming and yet, no one cared about Spike’s side of the story- When they cared enough to choose a side.

If you added up all of the arrogant, anti “school spirit” things Spike had accomplished throughout his years at Sunnyhell High, then you’d have a shit ton of reasons for most of the school’s populace to dislike him.

And if their darling, loved by all Buffy Summers accepted his offer of a date, it’d probably be the most damn near arrogant thing he’d done yet.

Spike grinned. He sure as hell didn’t care what anyone thought or tried to do, he’d probably enjoy ruffling feathers when he took Buffy out for a nice little drink and dance at the Bronze- Or wherever she wanted to go. One thing he knew, he wasn’t taking no for an answer.

A small, arrogant grin graced his lips. This doll was all he could bloody well think about, and he wanted to have her on his arm. He wanted her.

She was sweet to everyone; even his group of mates didn’t have anything against her. They talked trash about anybody who looked too cheery for their tastes, but when she talked to them, which albeit was seldom, she was always nice as usual. The girl was kind. It was just in her nature.

Christ he didn’t want her to say no to him. She didn’t have a reason to anyway, especially when he knew that she liked him, just as he did her. She’d kept up her sneaky glances and stares as a new junior. Spike had caught her on more than one occasion and was always rewarded with a blush. It was nearing the end of September and he’d been pushed to the brink with those blushes this month already, he wasn’t waiting any longer.

An urge to light up a smoke prodded at him, but the one thing he didn’t need right now was Snyder breathing down his neck while he was trying to ask out his girl. No, he’d satisfy his craving for nicotine after he’d gotten his yes. Besides, who wanted to puff smoky breath into the face of the girl you fancied?

The girl who tempted him, and he was sure every other male that laid eyes on the chit, with her innocence, her smile, and her disposition. Spike had been smiling at Buffy now for five minutes straight, but he only noticed the grin due to it fading as his eyebrows rose.

Gall.

That’s what the prat had to have. Gall.

Brunette bloke, a little taller than Spike himself, walked up with an expression he had no business sending Buffy’s way. The girls beside her looked up into the brown-eyed boy’s face and back at Buffy, grinning secretly and making up quick reasons to excuse themselves. One of the birds even nudged Miss Summers on the arm and Spike saw his girl blush prettily.

Now that wasn’t right.

Not right at all.

His name was Todd, Spike knew simply from being in the same school with the git. No actual contact had been made between the two of them, he just knew the other senior because of Sunnydale High’s small class sizes.

Spike saw him move in on Buffy, the boy’s hand brushing her upper arm with his knuckles.

Oh this just wouldn’t do.

The Punk cocked his head to the side, glaring at the man as he made Buffy laugh. What irony it was that Spike would have competition to ask her out the same day he’d finally set out to do so himself.

The Brit didn’t waste another minute, striding over to where the petite blonde and Todd both stood.

“So I was thinkin maybe we could go to a movie Saturday, if…”

Her eyes turned up and met his almost as if she’d sensed him. “Hello, love.” He said, completely ignoring the man to his left.

Buffy looked purely stunned for a moment, and then frowned confusedly before sparing a brief glance in the brunette’s direction. “Um. Hi, Sp- I mean. It is Spike right?”

He was sure she knew his name and exactly who he was, but didn’t tease her on the matter and only nodded. “S’right.” He smiled. “Wanted to talk with you a minute if I could.”

Todd broke in before she could answer. “Maybe you could wait a second then, huh buddy?”

Spike turned a glare in the other senior’s direction. “Don’ suppose I will.”

“Well I was here first, and honestly man, aren’t you supposed to be out kicking around trash cans or something?”

The words were condescending, but they didn’t sting. Merely made Spike smirk. “Not my idea of fun, mate. If I need somethin to kick around I usually just go after the stubborn prats who don’ know when to sod off.”

His words had descended into a growl, and the message was pointed. Obviously so, and Todd blinked. Then he gulped just barely, but the stubborn prat still wouldn’t listen to good advice.

“I’m sure you do.” He nodded derisively. “Why don’t you go put some more eyeliner on, Buffy and I are busy.”

“Hmm, really?” Spike clicked his tongue. “Ya know, it looked more to me like you were exasperatin’ the girl.”

Brown eyes narrowed. “You-”

“Todd.” The kindly spoken voice curled around his name like honey, and both males found themselves immediately alert to Buffy. “Regarding your question, I have plans on Saturday and can’t make the movies. But, maybe call me up some other time and I’ll see if we can make plans?”

She’d said it without paying notice to the platinum blonde, which appeased Todd, Spike was sure, but she was turning the oaf down. That was all that really mattered.

Todd’s mouth opened, the man was slightly thrown. “Oh. Well, okay. I’ll um, I’ll hit you up some other time then.”

“Okay, sounds great.” She smiled softly at the ponce, emitting an aura of sweet and calm that only Buffy seemed to be able to do.

Todd smiled back before sending a glare in Spike’s direction to which the Brit returned. “You uh, you got a ride home, Buffy?” Todd looked back to her, not seeing the flash of anger in Spike’s eyes.

He was going to throttle him. The invitation was obvious, and Spike was going to combust if she didn’t decline it in two seconds.

“Yeah. Don’t worry about it.” She said, a reassuring smile on her face. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

With a nod and one more hateful glance at Spike, Todd turned and left.

“So Spike. W-What’d you need?” She asked him then, and the Brit’s face softened as he turned his eyes back to Buffy. His arm rose to rest a black-fingernailed hand against the lockers as he moved in front of her.

He didn’t speak right away, and noticed she started shuffling a little nervously while color appeared on her cheeks. Lovely. “Well, what I need is for you to do me a favor, lamb.”

She blinked at him, and he swore that her eyes glittered gold in between the rays of green he saw. “What would this favor be?” She asked with a gentle smile coming out to play.

“Go out with me.” Her eyes bulged for a split second before those eyelashes of hers started fluttering in what he could only guess was surprised confusion.

“You want me to- Like on a.. on a date?”

Spike smirked. “That’d be the idea. An since nancy-boy asked you for Saturday and got turned down, I know now to ask for Friday.” He wouldn’t tell her that he hoped she’d turned that moron down because she wasn’t interested rather than because she was busy.

Buffy glanced away and her jaw hung open slightly. When she looked back up to meet his gaze she looked genuinely perplexed. “Wh- Is there… Why?”

Spike couldn’t help the crooked grin that accompanied a short puff of laughter. “'Cause I like you, pet.”

She swallowed hard, the lump scratching as it went down her suddenly tight throat. “B-But. You… Spike, you’re not. You’re not known as the type a guy to ask a girl out on a date.”

He squinted at the appraisal she had of him, a little amusement warring with surprise. “Oh s’that right now? And what type am I, love?”

She looked down again and- God damn it she was biting her lip. He always loved it when she did that, loved it in the most masochistic way because it tortured him beyond measure.

“You’re the type that likes to screw girls and just, that’s it. I’ve never seen you in a relationship but I know you’re quite the ladies man, Spike.” She had a sort of sad acceptance to her voice he didn’t like. What did the chit think that he just wanted to use em and lose em for the rest of eternity?

Though she was right, it certainly didn’t apply to HER. And he had asked women out on dates before, though the goal was usually to get them in his bed, it wasn’t always his first objective.

And sure as hell not for her.

“Buffy, listen to me.” He leaned in closer to her so he was only a breath away from her lips. Then he whispered, “I’ve been watchin you for a while now, love. An I can’t get you outta my bloody head.” He pointed to said noggin. “I wouldn’t be askin you out f’I was just interested in shaggin you. I’m not lookin to just take a poke at your virtue, sweets. I wouldn’t hurt you.” He pulled back then to stare into her big, startled eyes. “I like you.”

The way he’d said it, it tickled her ears. His voice sent chills down Buffy’s spine, and lord knew she’d been lusting after this man for forever. Of course no one knew of her secret crush, which wasn’t a big deal, lots of people kept the names of the boys they liked hidden. It was natural, and mostly done because she’d always thought Spike would honestly laugh should he ever find out she had a thing for him.

Well, more like she was a little obsessed with him? She watched him constantly, and if what he was saying was true then she wasn’t the only one with a penchant for staring and a stolen heart.

“I-I. I’ll admit Spike, I like you too.” She felt heat rush to her cheeks. God this blushing habit of hers was irritating. “B-but um…” How could this be for real? Her dreams never came true, there had to be a catch. Even if she felt Spike wasn’t the sort to play with a girl on purpose, lead her into a false sense of anything, Buffy still didn’t trust her luck in love. Not ever. “You’re a senior, and you’re asking me out? I’m a grade below you a-and we never talk. Not to mention I hardly think that I’m your type Spike. I-”

“Are you tryin to talk me out of taking you on this date? ‘Cause, gotta tell ya pet, m’not one to give up easily.” He smirked again. “I like a challenge.”

Buffy gulped. God it was things like those statements that made her dizzy. Add in that classic tongue curl of his and her mind went to naughty, forbidden places. But this… it was too good to be true. “You’re serious.”

“As a bloody heart attack.”

She laughed a little at that. “You wanna take me out on a date?”

“I believe that’s what I just told you, love.”

She chewed her bottom lip, trying to ignore all the warm tinglies evoked whenever he called her a pet name. “And you’ve been watching me?”

He smiled. “Ever since you arrived at this soddin school I have. You’ve practically bewitched me, Summers.”

She couldn’t stop the warm smile when it came. And she found she believed him. “Yes.”

His eyes sparkled and he grinned widely. “As in you’ll go out with me?”

“Yep.” She nodded. “I’m looking forward to it.”

Then something happened. It was so fast she couldn’t have stopped it if she’d wanted to. He swooped in and landed a chaste kiss on her still burning cheek, his fingertips lightly caressing the underside of her chin. Then he pulled away and she immediately missed the contact. “Friday. Seven o’clock. I’ll pick you up at your place, yeh?” He pulled a little farther away and she had to refrain from pouting. “Then maybe we can go to the Bronze? Sound fun?”

“Friday? You m-mean tomorrow?”

“If it’s works for you, pet.”

She smiled. “It works perfect.”

~~~

The next day she anxiously danced around her room, her stomach doing many little annoying flips which threatened to make her queasy. He was arriving in an hour. An hour which Buffy knew would be filled with trying to talk away her nerves.

Which she would fail at doing.

She’d had a crush on this guy since her first year at Sunnydale. She’d dated in between gawking at him, and every boy she’d let take her out to eat or to the movies had paled in comparison to Spike.

He had an eyebrow piercing, wore black nail polish, had an accent, sometimes spiked his bleached hair, and always wore his treasured leather coat. He was anything but her originally thought “type”, and Buffy had repeatedly asked herself if she’d left her sanity back in L.A. after first laying eyes on Spike Pratt.

She liked the platinum hair, she liked the cocky attitude, she liked the rough accent (well lots of girls would like that one, but still!).

He was arrogant and often got in trouble just to ruffle some feathers. He blared loud rock through his car radio when pulling out of the school parking lot, he ditched classes (yet somehow always passed them), and he taunted many people she considered friends. Given, any fights he got into with other students Spike wasn’t usually the provoker.

“I don’t know what it is about him…” Buffy murmured to herself as she held a possible skirt against her hips and looked in the mirror. She tilted her head in consideration before sighing. “But the boy sure is something.”

The truth was she did know what it was about him.

His Punk overlay was enticing, but she was intrigued by everything.

She knew he got good grades, especially in English and History. He always got in trouble with the principal but somehow never managed to get expelled because the crimes he participated in publically weren’t enough for him to get kicked out. Though there were a few instances where pranks that provided expulsion had been committed by a ghost it seemed.

Many of those ones everyone figured were Spike’s doing, but there wasn’t any proof.

He was sneaky and didn’t take crap from anybody. He was hot, he was witty, and he was intelligent. God his snark was a constant turn on, every time someone messed with him verbally and she got to hear his comebacks and snide comments, she couldn’t help but smirk with total pride. He was just Spike, and she really, really liked him.

She probably shouldn’t. In the eyes of everyone who labeled her and thought of her as that ‘sweet bubbly blonde’, she was sure she shouldn’t. But she did, she liked the air of danger about him, thought about challenging it on a regular basis by dares and tugging out the kindness she knew Spike had inside. She loved the passion she could see. When he walked, the confidence and the power in his stride as well as in his smirks practically shone.

He was as deep as an ocean too, there was so much more to learn about this guy. She was all ready to dive in, and incredibly nervous still. Her butterflies hadn’t calmed down at all and Buffy was tempted to punch herself in the gut if the flippity floppity-ness didn’t stop.

With a groan she moved back to her closet. She’d truly had no idea that Spike was interested in her at all, and was still trying to wrap her mind around his admission yesterday.

Buffy preferred pastels to darks, she liked listening to Britney Spears, and she helped organize school dances as well as attended them. She was everything Spike shouldn’t want, and everything that shouldn’t want Spike.

Yet they were going out on a date tonight. They’d probably be seen by many, many of Sunnydale High’s populace.

Buffy laughed to herself. Oh that would be amusing, so many people seeing her out on a date with her secret crush. No one would get it, and everyone would question her come Monday.

This was going to be a really fun night.

~~~

The doorbell rang, and Buffy’s eye bulged. “Shit!” She grabbed her other boot and started hopping into it as she moved over to where her purse and its contents were strewn across the bed.

“Mom can you get the door please?!”

Quickly tossing her things inside her black bag, Buffy ran over to the mirror and checked her hair, fluffing it a little. With a nod and a very deep breath she went downstairs, praying to God that her mom hadn’t given Spike the third degree while she was still in her room.

Judging by his easy posture and the way Joyce was smiling she didn’t think she would have to apologize for overprotective parenting. Which was a little strange… Spike looked very much like himself, Punk and all. Her mom didn’t even bat an eyelash at all the black and the eyebrow piercing?

Spike must’ve won her over pretty quick.

His black lined, icy blue eyes found Buffy and she gulped. “Hi.”

“‘Lo love, ready to head out?” The quick appraisal she saw him do as his gaze travelled down her legs made her shiver. She’d worn a skirt, which was her usual attire, but this one was black (not so much her typical color). Her top was a white camisole. A matching sheer, bell sleeved scoop neck covered it, and she had on hoop earrings.

Pulling a strand of hair away from her face, Buffy nodded. “I’m ready. I’ll see you later mom.”

~~~

There were stares. There were eyes following them it seemed from the minute they entered the club. A couple of gasps and un-hushed murmurs made it to their ears. One girl even had the audacity to go up to Buffy and whisper harshly, and not very quietly, “What she was doing there with him?” It wasn’t really a surprise, especially when they’d walked in with hands linked.

“He’s my date.” Buffy told her simply, no nervousness in her tone and a casual quality about her voice.

WHY?” Amber had asked, the auburn haired track team superstar. There were some of her close friends behind her, eyeing Spike and Buffy like they were both wearing chicken suits.

Buffy looked behind Amber and smiled at the girls who she too knew very well before answering the question. With a shrug she said, “He asked me out and I like him. Now if you’ll excuse us we’re gonna go get drinks. I’ll see you later.” Then she tugged her date away, smiling kindly at the people she knew.

Spike smirked.

That’s my girl.

They approached the bar, Spike ignoring glares that were sent his way and Buffy brushing off the shocked stares she herself received.

Their entwined hands set simultaneously on the counter as they ordered their drinks. The car ride over had been filled with easy conversation, some playful banter, and flirtatious touching on Buffy’s part.

Their hands had simply found each other’s. One minute their wrists were resting on the car seat and the next, fingers had crept closer and intertwined.

They hadn’t let go since.

~~~

The hours passed. They talked. They avoided people from school like the plague, and they laughed. They laughed a lot.

Jokes, old stories, personal embarrassments and just about everything under the stars seemed so easy to discuss with one another.

“You’ve got to be joking.”

She shook her head and sipped at her soda. “Nope. I fell off the horse and into a giant pile of mud. It was probably the worst event to happen during my year as a thirteen year old.”

Spike laughed. “If you were so scared why’d you go on the bloody thing?”

“I wasn’t scared at FIRST! Now horses and I don’t mix so well, but before I-”

“Buffy?”

The blondes turned their heads at the intruding voice, Spike’s eyes changing from warm and happy into an irritated slit.

“Tim? Hi, um. I’m sure you know Spike, right?” Buffy gestured between the two males, hoping that this wasn’t going to be another rude intrusion on her date- Although it already looked like one.

Tim barely spared the Brit a glance before extending his hand to Buffy. “I was wondering if you wanted to dance.”

She looked at his upturned palm, and then to Spike. She wasn’t quick enough to prevent him from saying something of course.

“Were in the middle of a conversation here, mate.”

Oh boy the way he said that last word was warning enough. Besides, she didn’t want to dance with Tim, but with her date instead.

“That’s okay Tim.” She said nicely before taking Spike’s hand and standing up, him following her movements as she led him out onto the dance floor. “I’ve already got a partner.”

Spike smiled to himself, loving the expression that adorned the bloke’s features as they left him behind. Served the wanker right, trying to move in on Buffy. Fool needed to learn something, and that was, that Spike didn’t share.

She pulled him into her when they reached the middle of the floor, heated bodies dancing all around them as music engulfed the space. His hips met her hips, and she started to move. Spike put his hands on her waist and grinned down at her. “Ya know something, kitten?”

She tried to stop it, she really did, but she couldn’t. She tripped. She literally tripped over herself. Kitten?

Was he TRYING to get her to embarrass herself?

From the warm chuckle he released when he helped her balance out, Buffy wasn’t sure he wasn’t. “K-Know what?”

“You’re amazing. Sodding unbelievable you’ve been able to deal with all the crap we’ve been gettin tonight.”

She frowned. “Why’s it so surprising? You’re dealing with it.”

“Yeh. But these people aren’ my friends. And, last time I checked, I rather enjoy messin with good ole Sunnyhell High’s populace. You don’t.”

“What’re ya gonna do when your friends are being stupid?” Buffy shrugged in his embrace. “Let them know how dumb they’re being by showing them nothing’s different. There so shocked were out together? So what. I knew they would be, but it’s ridiculous.” Buffy smiled softly. “Besides, I like being here with you too much to care what they think.”

She wrapped her arms around his neck, and Spike couldn’t help himself. He leaned into her further and dipped his head, brushing his lips across hers sweetly. She stood up higher, melting into him. Buffy moaned inaudibly and Spike wrapped his arms fully around her waist, lifting her a little bit off the ground.

There were stares, and gawking. There was angry grumbling and shocked countenances. But neither Buffy nor Spike heard or cared. Their opposite layers attracted to one another like magnets, and the surrounding people who judged- judged without allowance -melted away.

Their tongues touched and Buffy clawed at Spike’s shoulders as her arms crossed across his back. He gasped while their lips moved over each other’s and she mewled in the back of her throat. It was the sweetest thing either of them had ever tasted, something so powerful and so right, so frighteningly electric. Nothing short of the serious need for air could’ve separated them, and even that had a hard time doing so.

“D’you feel that?” Buffy asked breathlessly, her eyes glazed and yet extremely alert at the same time.

Spike gulped and nodded. “Bloody hell yes.”

“I think… Oh boy this is gonna be hard.”

“What’ll be hard?”

“Being with you o-or, or not. Yeah. That’ll probly be harder. The not being with you.” She stumbled over her tongue, offering him a sheepish smile and hoping he didn’t suddenly think she was a freak.

Spike just grinned back at her. “It’ll be hard to shake me, darlin’. I think you’re stuck with me now.”

Her eyes snapped up. “You mean it?” She hated those words, hated the way they sounded on her tongue. So hopeful, so timid, so damned vulnerable.

But if there was anyone she was going to be open with, it could be Spike. She felt it.

“Well you’re off your bird f’you think m’just gonna walk away from this. Couldn’t if I wanted to.” He leaned in and kissed her again, this time only for a few seconds before he pulled away and looked into her eyes. “Is that okay with you?”

Buffy smiled. “Very okay.”

THE END


Chapter End Notes:
I know it's complete but I always appreciate reviews so feel free to leave em! :) THANKS FOR READING! *hugs*
(I might consider doing a sequel later in the future if enough people like this one.)