Buffy took off her flip-flops and let the straps dangle from her fingertips as she walked toward the bedroom. She opened and closed the door soundlessly. She faced the bed and accidently dropped her shoes onto the carpet.

“Buffy?”

In the dark room, Spike’s skin seemed to glow, making it possible for her to make out his half-naked body from where the sheets were riding low on his hips up to his still-perfect hair.

“I wanted to see you,” Buffy said. The words came out in a rush. “I hope that’s okay.”

“It’s great, but we haven’t been apart more than a couple of minutes. Shouldn’t you be cozying up to my mum instead of gawking at me?”

“Did you happen to overhear my conversation with Dawn? Or,” she continued, scanning the rest of the bedroom. “Is this place magically sound-proofed too?”

“The walls were made with vampires in mind like everything else in Angel’s mighty palace. You could scream your head off right now, and no one would hear you. Not even Dawn’s meddlesome ears.”

She took two steps forward and then she nodded. “That’s good to know.”

“Is it?”

“If you make me scream, Spike, it won’t be because I’m scared.”

“Is that so?” His head tipped slightly to one side. He pushed back the sheets and Buffy was surprised to see he was wearing loose drawstring pants.

“Just living by your modest example,” he said, as if he could read her mind. “You’ll have to put in a little bit of effort if you wanna get to my naughty bits tonight.”

Even in the shadows, she could see his wink and mischievous smirk. She was also lucky enough to see his muscles flex as he crawled from the middle of the massive bed to sit on its edge. He sought out her hand and she couldn’t help but smile as he brushed a kiss onto her knuckles.

“Is that why you’re in here?” he asked. “Is this a booty call?”

“You wish,” she snorted.

“That isn’t far from the truth.” He looked down as he played with her fingers then he gazed at her through heavy-lidded eyes. “How much time do we have? Minutes? A few hours? Let me know so we can manage our time as wisely as possible.”

“I try to get eight hours of beauty sleep each night.” She walked toward him again until she was standing between his spread knees. Her chest was at his eye-level. “But don’t worry, I’m pretty flexible. I can write off a few hours and I should still be able to pull myself together in the morning.”

“Forgive me for being daft, but what’s that supposed to mean exactly?”

“I couldn’t make it down the hallway. I couldn’t force myself to even try. Then Dawn said I should do the right thing.”

“And you ended up in here?”

“As much as I like your mom, I’ve missed you too much and I’ve wanted you back too badly to sleep under the same roof but not in your bed. It just can’t happen.”

“Now, pet--.”

She took one final step forward, pressing her body against his. She smoothed back his hair and leaned over to lightly kiss his mouth. “About what you said before…”

“I didn’t want to mislead you.”

“So your proposal was real after all?”

“It might’ve not been my most inspired confession of love and devotion to date, but--.”

“You meant it.”

“I assumed that was a given.” He laughed, but quickly sobered. “How does all this make you feel?”

She took a deep breath and released it against his skin. “I love you. I need you with me.”

“As your husband?”

The word sent a shiver throughout her body.

“’Cause you know, if we’re going to battle it out with Angel and your friends, it’d be silly to do so if we’re faking. To fight over something we aren’t certain about ourselves? Why go through the heartache over nothing?”

“This isn’t nothing,” she protested without a second thought. “But that…that’s a valid point.” She dug her teeth into her lower lip. “Did you just come up with that?”

“Makes sense, doesn’t it?”

“Do we—Spike, do we have to talk to Gunn about the legal stuff before we get married? Isn’t there someone else? I don’t think he likes me very much.”

Spike blinked then a smile pulled at his lips. “He’s just standing up for his leader as your Scoobies do for you. When the teams huddle up, they can be ruthless. Being the odd man out, and for both sides, I can say they mean well enough. In most cases. Usually.”

“You’ve felt that way a lot, haven’t you? Like the odd man out?”

“Eh, historically speaking? I wanted to belong quite terribly once. I got over it. Now, I’m only interested in belonging with you, and to you.”

His arms went around her and settled low on her hips. “I’m yours already, Buffy. You positive you want me as your ball and chain?”

Nodding, she held his face between both hands. “You won’t be alone or the odd guy out ever again. We’ll have our own team: just you and me. ‘Til death do us part, but let’s hold off on the death, okay?”

“Death has always brought us closer.”

“I don’t care. I’m so over it. I’ve had enough.”

“Alright,” he chuckled.

“I won’t lose you again,” she promised.

Kissing him, she let go of her inhibitions. Using her lips, tongue and teeth, she poured out the feelings she’d been grappling with for so long. She clung to him and was grateful when Spike helped her into his lap. She tangled her legs around his waist and a groan erupted from the back of her throat.

“Hang on, hang on,” he chanted. He yanked her shirt over her head. “That any better, love?”

“No,” she replied stubbornly.

“Baby wants more?” Clearly pleased, he stood with her huddled against him. “Oh, now she’s gonna get it.”

“She’d better,” she said, arms clinging around his neck. He was keeping her elevated with both hands on her backside. He squeezed her ass simultaneously and Buffy knew he was purposely trying to drive her crazy. “Spike, put me down. I need…”

“I know exactly what you need.”

He dropped her onto the center of the bed as if she were weightless. She hadn’t stopped bouncing against the mattress before he was next to her with his mouth on hers, rubbing and searching. Mirroring her urgency, he slipped off her pants with one quick motion.

“Once we’re married, it’ll put an end to nonsense like this,” he said, tossing the pajama pants to the floor. “There will be no more conservative nightclothes for you. For either of us.”

“Is that your first husbandly decree: we sleep naked?”

“Nakedness isn’t necessarily an requirement, but it’ll always be appreciated.”

“For the record, I like these pants on you. You shouldn’t have all the fun. I like undressing you.”

“Well then, by all means.” He leaned back and straightened out his legs. Buffy laughed, noticing his wiggling toes as he provocatively lifted his eyebrows at the same time.

“Sexy, honey,” she snickered. In only her underwear, she went to him on her knees. Facing forward, she straddled his hips and sat.

“Hey, I thought--.”

“What’s your hurry? I told you we have until morning. And you told me I’d have to put forth some effort before I’d see your naughty bits.”

“Yes, but you know me very well, well enough to know just how much of an easy lay I am with a naked Slayer within reach.”

“I’m not naked yet,” she sang. She ran her palms up and down the taut muscles of his chest.

“And yet I can hardly contain myself. You always have me quivering like some bloody schoolboy.”

“I love it. It’s amazing.”

With a hooked finger, she pulled at the band of his pants and peeked inside. Suddenly her mouth became dry. She slid the tip of her tongue along her equally dry lips.

“I’ve thought about this. About how different it’d be if a miracle brought us back together. Things between us would be slow and tender and—well, honestly, my daydreams include excessive amounts of smooching and cuddling.”

“Is that still what you want?”

Swallowing, she bobbed her head. “With you sitting in front of me, and with me sitting on you…? I’ve thought about those last few nights in Mom’s basement so much. They were perfect.”

“But?”

“But we need more.” She scooted her hips, suggestively nudging the bulge in his pants. “We both need a lot more. And no matter what, this’ll be different. Because this time, you’ll know that I love you. And hopefully you believe it?”

“Buffy--.” He said her name on the tail end of a gasp. “Buffy—fuck, pet, you’d better stop that.”

“Why?” she asked sweetly. Her fingers were dancing against his velvety-smooth cock. “I’ll have no problem getting you hard again.”

She tugged on him, knowing exactly how to make him cum quickly and intensely. She watched his body convulse with a satisfied but still stunned smile.

Holding him close, she dotted his lips with kisses as he continued to gasp for unneeded air.

“That was almost better than I remembered. Your o-face is so damn pretty.” Laughing, she rested her head on his shoulder. Spike squeezed her against him roughly and her giggles died in her throat.

After being rolled onto her back, Buffy opened her knees wide so she could cradle his weight. She tunneled her fingers through his hair and sighed as he kissed her neck. They’d been together countless times before, but she wanted to savor every second. She wanted to be present mentally and physically.

“Kitten, I’m southern-bound here. You might want to release your claws from my hair so I can go down on you properly.”

“Oh,” she said, sheepishly releasing handfuls of his now-messy hair. “Um, carry on.”

“Any suggestions on where I should begin? Any particular fantasies you’d like to reenact?”

As he spoke, he slipped her bra from her shoulders one strap at a time. Her left nipple caught his attention first. He licked it through the satin of her bra and took it into his mouth.

Buffy was aching before; now she felt as if she were on fire. She squeezed her eyes shut as they twitched. He licked a trail down her stomach. He inhaled, facing the sweet spot between her legs, but then he pulled away.

“Slayer, you still with me?”

A finger grazed her damp underwear. The simple touch made her body jerk.

“I won’t be for much longer.” Grabbing his wrist, she pushed his palm flat against her core. “I love the sexy teasing and foreplay as much as any other girl, but—please? Please, Spike?”

She didn’t wait for an answer. Groaning in frustration, she tore off her remaining clothing and pitched them aside. Spike watched her every move closely then he welcomed her back into his arms and onto his lap. Latching her mouth over his, she managed to keep her hands busy. She snaked them between their bodies to position his cock at her entrance. Then she took him deep inside.

“Buffy?” He said her name quietly and she met his dilated eyes. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

“Well now, it’s about fucking time.” With a playful snort, he cupped her butt, rocking her against him at a steady pace.

Surrendering completely, Buffy just held on tight. She babbled about how good he felt and how much she’d missed him until she could no longer form words.

The orgasms hit them both hard, but Spike was relentless. He prolonged her pleasure to the brink of lightheadedness.

“Stay with me,” he said, keeping her stable. “Focus on me. Fight off the swoon.”

“I don’t swoon. Slayers don’t--.”

“Oh, but mine does…when you push her buttons just right.”

“I see what you’re doing there, with your word play and double meanings. Cute.”

With a grin, he lowered her onto the bed. He gave her one last kiss before leaving her.

“Spike?”

“Just a sec. I’ve got to free myself from these damn shackles.”

“Oh,” she laughed, realizing his pajama pants were still tangled around his ankles. “Hurry up and hurl them already. I’m not done with you.”

“Bossy, chit. Get under the covers if you’re cold, and roll over so I can get behind you.”

“Now who’s Mr. Bossy?” she asked, although she followed his directions without hesitating.

Her chest tightened as he spooned against her back. Their legs became intertwined. An arm wrapped around her and he held his hand under her belly button. The tip of his pinky finger was nestled in the curls between her legs.

“This what you had in mind?” He mumbled the words against the back of her neck. “You, me, lovemaking and a cuddle until you fall asleep?”

“You know the answer to that.”

“Never thought you and I would be on the same page, let alone be able to agree on something as permanent as marriage.”

“Thank you for taking this chance with me,” he continued in a whisper. “I won’t let you down. Wouldn’t muck this up for the bloody world.”

She said his name, but it came out as a soft croak.

“Why don’t we rest for a bit? Before morning, I’ll love you again. How’s that sound? Good?”

“Perfect,” she managed to get out. Her eyes were damp. She slid his arm up so it fit more snuggly around her waist. She held her hand over his.

Feeling content and thoroughly loved, she slept with a smile on her face.
***