“I feel like I should have my eyes closed for this, like it’ll make the reveal more special. Is that dopey, or what?”

“Dopey?” Spike repeated, lifting a brow.

“Yeah, do you have a problem with dopey? I think it’s a mighty fine adjective.”

“Guess there’s no harm in it,” Spike snorted. They were standing side-by-side as they waited for the elevator’s doors to open. “Just don’t get your hopes up, that’s all. Nothing’s been done. They’re still in the planning phase. Your big reveal may fall flat.”

“No way,” Buffy said, shaking her head. “We get to see the location, the view—this is our potential venue, Spike. This is important. You’ve never been to the roof before? How come?”

“For starters, these elevators are slower than bloody molasses. And secondly, I can’t say that it was on my ‘to do’ list once I finally got my body back. I had more important matters to tend to.”

“Like jumping into bed with Angel’s secretary?” she asked sweetly, unable to resist an opportunity to tease him.

“Oh, balls,” he grumbled. It caused Buffy to let out a muffled laugh. “That blonde nitwit, I tell you, Harm’s gonna haunt me until my dying day. One mistake, baby…”

“A mistake you chose to repeat. Just how did you justify it? What was your excuse again?”

“Slayer,” he began as the elevator came to a stop.

“Hi, guys!”

“Um, hi,” Buffy said, surprised to find both Fred and the greenhouse directly in front of her after stepping from the elevator.

“Wesley said you two were on your way,” Fred continued cheerfully. “The crew’s on standby to clear everything out; they’re just waiting for your go-ahead. Look around and I’ll catch up with you in a minute.”

Buffy took a few steps forward. Glass panels enclosed most of the space; they made up the ceiling and the walls. The square-shaped structure was filled with rows of tables, and greenery covered all of the tabletops.

“It’s a bit bright in here, isn’t it?” Spike asked.

“I think it’s perfect,” she breathed. “Imagine it with an aisle, folding chairs, candles and mood lighting… This place has loads of potential.”

She walked to the right side of the greenhouse and looked down at the busy streets beneath them. Although she couldn’t see Spike’s reflection in the glass, she could still sense him behind her.

“Buffy,” he sang, playing with her hair. “You know I only sought Harmony out, because I was no longer a spook, right? I was desperate. I hadn’t touched anyone, including myself, for…well, it felt like a sodding lifetime.”

“Sorry, but you were hardly sex-starved.”

“Hey now. I have needs--.”

“Oh, please,” she snorted. “I haven’t been with anyone else, not since our very first night together. And I went a heck of a lot longer without touching, mister. I might’ve been a little cranky here and there, but I handled it just fine.”

“Pet--.”

“Don’t make me bring up that skank you brought to Xander’s wedding.”

“I never shagged that one though.”

“Well, good for you. Too bad we can’t say the same for Anya. Honestly, honey, we really need to work on your…”

After turning on her heels to face him, her mind went blank. She forgot what she was going to say. She swallowed hard as she stared. “Oh, wow.”

“Wow, yeah?” he chuckled, slicking his hair back with his fingertips. “So, how do I look in the harsh light of day? I’m certain the hair’s too much. And my skin? Like death warmed over, isn’t it? I belong in the shadows; darkness is forgiving, and—well, this squinting? Babe, I just don’t care for it. Doesn’t it lead to wrinkles?”

“Now who’s acting like a dope?” She smiled while crossing her arms over her chest. “You look hot, Spike. Just not in a firey, about-to-turn-into-dust kinda way. It’s a different look on you. I like it. But then, I liked it the first time, when you had that Ring of Mariah.”

“The Gem of Amara? Hell, if we only had that trinket back… You think the grand martyr-poof would give it up again, or would Angel not be so selfless if given a second chance?”

Reaching forward, he held his hands lightly at her hips. He ducked his head and whispered in her ear, “You noticed my looks while you were mourning your short-lived relationship with Dogface? I’m shocked, Slayer.”

“These eyes know a hunk when they see one, even if said-hunk and I were pummeling each other at the time. And Dogface? I can’t think of a better name for Parker Abrams.”

“Oh, I could. I could think of something much more suited for that rotten twat, but we have a lady present.”

“Hi, Fred,” Buffy said, looking over Spike’s shoulder. “Send in the troops. This place is a keeper.”

“That’s great to hear,” she replied. “Do you have questions, or will you need anything else? Both Angel and Wesley—and um, Lorne too, when I think about it—said we’re here to please. So, whatever you need, just ask for it.”

“You sure you want to open up that Pandora’s box?” Spike asked. “I’ve been seeing glimmers of bridezilla all morning, do you really want her unleashed, Fred?”

“Ha ha, you’re hilarious,” Buffy remarked, rolling her eyes. “This greenhouse is bigger than I expected… Some of these windows open, right? It’d be nice to let fresh air in once the sun goes down. Is that a door on the other side of the room?”

“Yeah, it goes to the rest of the roof. Want to check it out? It’s uncovered, so…”

“I’ll stay,” Spike offered.

“You sure?”

“Of course. You girls go. I’ll be alright, squinting down at the view here.”

“You do that,” Buffy said, kissing his cheek. “I think we’ve hit another milestone, honey. Later, when we pick up my wedding gown, we’ll get Spikey his very first pair of sunglasses. Unless you think a sun visor is more your style? My Grandma Summers always preferred her trusty, green, poker dealer visor.”

He shook his head and smirked as he swatted her backside. “Fred, get her out of here, but don’t keep her away for long, alright?”

“That was interesting,” Fred began, speaking quietly once she and Buffy were outside.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s like he’s a different person. I noticed it yesterday too. Angel warned us about him, but this side of Spike…”

“You’ve realized deep-down he’s actually a cuddly puppy with fangs?”

“He doesn’t seem as intimidating, but I don’t know if I’d go that far.”

“Good,” Buffy answered. “Because, not only would it crush his manly ego, it’d also be wrong. What exactly did Angel tell you about Spike?”

“He’s old. He’s dangerous. He’s killed Slayers. He’s selfish, and shouldn’t be trusted.”

“That’s fair enough; it’s all true. But did Angel mention that Spike has a soul, and that he fought for it? Or about how he’s helped me on the Hellmouth for years?”

“You must bring out the best in him.”

Fred’s words brought a smile to her face. “Yeah, I do, and it works both ways. It’s one of the reasons why I’m marrying him. And,” she continued, taking a deep breath, “I’m thinking we should set up a few tables out here for the reception.”

“Um, okay. So, how many people have you invited?”

“Just your friends and my friends, but since everyone seems to hate my boyfriend, who knows if any of them will show up. We shouldn’t have Lorne plan for more than a handful of guests.”

“Buffy, I can’t speak for your friends, but the people here, we don’t hate Spike. We just can’t trust him…majority of the time,” Fred added with a little sympathetic flinch.

“Well, it’s a good thing that after tomorrow, the promises he makes to me will be the ones that matter the most. I’m just asking people to put on some nice clothes as they sit through a quick ceremony and eat free food.”

“And we’ll do that! Or, at least…”

“Most of you will?” she suggested. “It’s okay. I don’t expect everyone to be won over instantly. Heck, even Spike and I hesitated over all this ‘til-death-do-us-part stuff. In the very beginning—well, yesterday, but early yesterday—we even considered putting on a fake marriage ceremony for his mom’s sake, how crazy is that?”

“It’s…pretty nuts?” Fred answered, as if she were unsure of what to say.

Snickering under her breath, Buffy walked to the wall around the roof’s edge. She took in the view of Los Angeles’s skyline before looking behind her into the greenhouse. “Love makes people do the wacky, and there’s definitely no shortage of love here. I love Spike, Angel, my friends—heck, I think I even love Spike’s mother after spending less than twenty-four hours with her. Now, if only those people could get along and be happy…? It shouldn’t be impossible, stranger things have happened. Hell, Spike and I were enemies; now we’re planning a life together. We’re getting married under my ex’s roof, on my ex’s dime--.”

“Wolfram and Hart has unlimited resources at its disposal, Buffy. Like you said, love makes people do remarkable things. Angel loves you. He wants you to have the best day possible. And the rest of us are happy to help. Planning a wedding is a welcome change from our everyday-jobs at the firm.”

“Even if it’s a party for a Big Bad like Spike?”

“Even if,” Fred answered with a grin. “Maybe we should add an extra table out here? Just in case? Just to be on the safe side?”

“I guess it wouldn’t hurt,” Buffy agreed.
***