Around the table stood Wesley, Gunn, Lorne, and Angel. When Spike joined the group, Buffy blinked.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Fred whispered. “It’s a room full of eye candy. They are pretty to look at, but raging testosterone has them at each other’s throats most of the time. Of course, your two vampires are the worst out of the group. Ever since they nearly killed each other over the Shanshu prophecy, things have become really tense between them.”

“What prophecy? Who’s sans their shoes?”

“Buffy, how are you feeling?”

At the sound of Angel’s voice, Fred inched away. Buffy was left standing alone at the head of the conference table.

“I’m okay. I’m a little tired of being asked that question, but I’ll live.”

“If you’re looking for Mrs. Pratt and Dawn, they’ve been fed and they’re getting settled for the night. You just missed them. They were heading back to Spike’s apartment. I offered them any room on the penthouse floors, including my own. They insisted on staying with him. He only has two beds and a couch, but I trust you and Spike will figure out the sleeping arrangements.”

“Is that your passive aggressive way of asking if I’ll be sleeping with Spike tonight?”

“Will you look at the time? We must be going. Nice to see you again, Buffy.”

“Thanks, Wesley.”

Her eyes stayed locked on Angel as the room cleared.

Instead of leaving with the others, Spike picked at the leftover appetizer trays on the table. “You fed my mum fried cheese, potato skins and mini pigs in a sodding blanket? You trying to kill her again by clogging up her arteries, peaches?”

“You came hundreds of miles for this moron? Does this mean you’re taking him with you when you leave?”

Buffy wasn’t phased by Angel’s blunt question. “If he wants to come with me, yes, I’ll take him home.”

“And you’ll live with him? You’ll actually play house with William the Bloody?”

“Why not?” she shrugged. “He lived with me in Sunnydale. He was in the basement, but we got along just fine. He was my partner. We trained together. We fought together.”

“Do you love him?”

“I don’t believe that’s any of your business, mate.”

“And will you finally go away? Will you give up on the prophecy?” Angel asked, turning to Spike.

As the men exchanged dirty looks, Buffy rolled her eyes. “What is with you guys and this stupid prophecy?”

“It’s what has kept him here,” Angel explained. “I don’t even know why he thinks he stands a chance--.”

“I’m a vampire with a soul, you ponce! I’m just as worthy as you, and probably more so. It wasn’t a bloody curse for me; I wanted my soul! I fought for it! I battled the fucking apocalypse--.”

“To get into a girl’s pants and I see it paid off.”

“Sorry, pet, but I’m gonna rip his head straight off.”

“You always resort to violence when you hear something you don’t like, like the truth,” Angel laughed. “Maturity never was your strong suit, William.”

“You’re doing your fair share of name calling,” Buffy pointed out. “From where I’m standing, this is a total pot and kettle situation.”

“You think so? He doesn’t even care about the Shanshu, he’s just wants to take it from me. His vendetta against me is more important to him than his demented puppy love for you.”

Buffy frowned. Although she tried not to take Angel’s words to heart, they stung.

“Harm said the big hero thought he couldn’t top his grand exit from Sunnydale,” he continued. “So he didn’t bother coming to you. He gave up.”

“Well, it’s a good thing that I did, ‘cause you would’ve had me on a ship to bloody Europe!”

“If Buffy hadn’t made the first move, how long would you have stayed here, cowering in my shadow with your tail between your legs?”

“Spike, don’t attack him,” Buffy said. From Spike’s body language, she knew he desperately wanted to lunge at Angel. “He isn’t worth it. He’s just lashing out--.”

“Your boyfriend is butting in on my destiny!” Angel roared. “I’m the right vampire with a soul, I’ll fight off the next apocalypse and I’ll become human! I’ve earned it! He can’t show up halfway through the game and steal all the damn glory!”

“Okay, wow. This is about both of you wanting to become human?”

“If I were human, the curse would be broken. You wouldn’t have to be with Spike by default.”

There was a long pause until Spike said, “Now’s your turn to tell him to go to hell, Slayer. You aren’t settling for me just because I’m a vampire with a soul and without a curse. Tell him.”

“Angel’s been off limits for so long…”

“Right,” he said. His jaw was set and his nose flared a little. “Say no more. I get what you’re not saying.”

“I doubt it. Asking me who I’d choose if you were both human…? It isn’t fair. It’s an impossible question. You’re vampires, the likelihood of that changing so freaking tiny--.”

“Isn’t Spike’s mother human now? She was turned and staked, but now she’s walking around in sunlight.”

“Leave Anne out of this.” When Angel tried to speak again, Buffy cut him off. “No. She will not be your lab rat. You can call Willow to get the details about her spell, alright?”

“I thought it was a demon--.”

“I lied. I did it. I wanted Spike and I brought back Anne by mistake.”

“Why would you do that?”

“Because she loves me, you knob.”

“Even after he slept with Harmony?” Angel asked, ignoring Spike.

“I can’t turn off my feelings because he did something incredibly dumb.” She took a deep breath. “Technically we weren’t together when it happened. Before he died, we were close, but we weren’t a couple. We aren’t one now. I’m disappointed, but…what can I do about it? Punish him? Give him the silent treatment? I’ve done that in the past. It made everybody feel shitty.”

“You’re letting him off the hook?”

“I have to do the same for you, don’t I? You lied to him about where I was. You didn’t tell me that he was alive.”

“It wasn’t my place,” Angel grumbled. He avoided her eyes. “It’s not like I was trying to keep him away from you. He was avoiding you on his own.”

“Maybe, but you didn’t give him a real chance to find me. You told him I was out of the country.”

“It was a honest mix up.”

“Bullshit,” Spike said, coughing into his balled up fist.

Buffy gave Spike a pointed look. “He is one of my people, my team. He’s family. I should’ve been informed the second he entered your fancy law firm. Whether he was a ghost or not. I understand that you’re jealous--.”

“I am not jealous of Spike,” Angel scoffed.

“Okay,” Buffy replied. “Then it’s probably best if we forget about that tantrum. You know, the one where you threw a fit about Spike taking your destiny and your glory and all your manly dignity?”

“Ouch, pet!”

“Spike, you are not helping.”

“I’m sorry.”

“What was that?” Spike asked Angel from across the table. “Speak up. I couldn’t quite hear you.”

“I was apologizing to Buffy.” Angel spoke through clenched teeth. “Not you.”

“Thank you,” she answered. “I know how hard that was for you, especially with Spike in the room.”

“Well, somebody has to be the bigger man.”

“Right, now that we’ve established that Angel’s a big hunk of nobody cares, yet again, the Slayer and I are leaving. We have sleeping arrangements to pound out.”

Spike headed for the door, but Buffy moved closer to Angel.

“Thank you for letting us stay here.”

“You’re welcome here, Buffy. Always. Regardless of who you have clutching onto your apron strings when you arrive next time,” Angel added as he side-eyed Spike.

“Ha, bloody, ha. Let’s get out of here, Slayer.”

“We’ll be here until Monday or maybe Tuesday. I’m serious about taking him off your hands. It’ll be his choice though. If you’re right, he might choose that prophecy over me.”

“For him not to choose you…then he’d be really as stupid as he looks.”

“Thanks,” she replied. “I know he’s a pain, but it’s your own fault you had to put up with him. Keeping secrets just kept him here longer.”

“I’m beginning to see that. I am sorry, Buffy.”

“Goodnight, Angel,” she said. She gave him a close-lipped smile and then she walked with Spike out of the room.
***