A Christmas to Remember

Chapter Four:

Afternoon
Summers' Residence

Xander had done a lot of thinking the last four hours. This pregnancy thing wasn't Anya's fault in the slightest. After all, it took two to tango. So, he'd come to a decision. This was Anya's chance to have a real family, hopefully with him unless she decided to ditch him down the road. God, he hoped not. He loved her and he was gonna prove it. Prove that they could be a family. And they would be. Soon.

"Anya," Xander called to his girlfriend who was reading a magazine on the couch. "Can we talk?"

"Of course, Xander," Anya smiled at him and patted the couch next to her, inviting him to sit. "What's up?"

"Do you love me?"

"Of course I do," Anya said, now a little worried. Didn't he know she loved her? She said it a million times. Maybe she should say it more often.

"Good," Xander sighed. "Because I love you too. A lot. I never thought that I would ever feel this way about someone. But then you came along," Xander paused to notice Anya's smile. He was really lucky to have someone as great as her. And soon, he'd be even luckier. "Ever since the day I met you I knew you were something else. It took me awhile to realize that I wanted that. That I wanted you. But ever since then, my life has been so much better. I love you, Anya, and I want this future with you. My parents haven't had the best of relationships, and I don't want us to be like them. So I want you to know that I'm not asking you because of this... predicament that we find ourselves in," Xander clarified.

"What..?"

"Anya," Xander interrupted her, though he could practically see the burning need she had to ask questions. He took a second before continuing. "I love you, and I want to marry you."

Anya's eyes widened in astonishment.

"Yes," she squealed. "Oh, yes! Xander, of course I'll marry you!"

Xander continued, "And I want you know that we'll get through this. Well raise this baby right."

Anya paused, a slight from overcoming her features. "What baby?"

Xander poked at her tummy, a little confused, "The one in your stomach."

"Oh, Xander. Silly. I'm not pregnant," she declared before going of to find the rest of the inhabitants of the house to tell them the big news.

Xander, meanwhile, was frozen in a look of horror.

"What..." he gasped out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A Few Hours Later
Living Room
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Where's Buffy?" Giles asked.

"Upstairs," Willow answered. "She said that she was getting changed into something more comfortable."

"Shouldn't we wait for her, since she is the reason we're having this meeting?"

"Um," Willow started nervously. "Actually, we were kinda hoping to leave her out of this."

Giles removed his glasses and began to clean them. Joyce watched his forehead wrinkle in confusion with a slight smile on her face.

"What exactly is this about Willow?" Giles questioned.

"Buffy's pregnant," she blurted.

Giles stood up from his seat quickly, "What!"

Apparently he was the only one who saw this as a shock. Willow and Tara were both blushing and trying to avoid eye contact with anyone. Dawn was sitting on the recliner, not really knowing how to react to the situation. Xander, however, was too busy casting nervous looks at his fiance, to which Giles rolled his eyes, to pay any attention to the conversation they were having. That boy could be the most stupidest whelp on the planet.

"Tara and I found a pregnancy test the other day," Willow explained. "And it's positive. We've already worked out that it's not Dawn's or Anya's. The only other person it could belong to is Buffy."

"Unless..." Giles blushed.

"Rupert," Joyce nearly growled.

"Wait a second... You two..." Dawn gestured. "Ew!"

"Dawn," Giles scolded. "Can we please be a little more mature about this situation?"

Just then, Buffy came trotting down the stairs. She paused when she felt everyone's eyes on her.

"What's going on?" she questioned nervously.

Everyone looked away nervously, not wanting to lie and not wanting to tell Buffy they knew her secret. The all silently agreed that this was something Buffy should tell them herself. Buffy was starting to think something was up when Dawn decided to blurt out something that would distract her.

"Giles and mom are having sex!"

"Again?" Buffy complained. "Ew!"

While Giles rolled his eyes at the maturity the Summer's sister obviously lacked, Buffy scanned the room and noticed someone was missing.

"Anyone seen Spike?" she asked.

"I think he went outside for a smoke," Willow told her. "Why?"

Buffy ignored her and made her way to the back the back door to see her vampire. And maybe get in some smoochies before the night was over.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dining Room
~~~~~~~~~~

"Is it yours?"

Joyce entered the kitchen to escape Giles' question, but unfortunately he had followed her.

"Rupert..."

"Is it yours?" Giles interrupted.

"No," Joyce answered. "It's not mine."

"Oh, thank god," Giles sighed in relief as he relaxed against the counter. "Not that I wouldn't want it if it was, but I already have to deal with Xander," he explained after seeing the glare Joyce had thrown at him.

"Xander is a grown man, Rupert."

"Really? Then why doesn't someone bloody well tell him to act like it?" Joyce rolled her eyes as he continued. "For gods sake, he just proposed to his girlfriend because he thought she was pregnant."

"You may have a point there," she relented. "Do you think Anya will let him out of it?"

"Not a chance."

Joyce sighed in pity, "That poor boy."

"He bloody well got what he asked for if you ask me."

"Rupert," Joyce scolded, although if she were honest with herself she would agree.

"Well it was much too rash a decision. Doesn't he know he has to think about these things?"

Joyce sighed. Men would never learn no matter how hard or frequently you smacked them upside the head.