Chapter 17


Willow’s head was all frazzled. As she searched for Buffy, she couldn’t decide if she was doing the right thing. After researching, and finding out some pretty big information, she left to find her best friend immediately. Tara went to check on Dawn while Willow went to tell Buffy everything they learned about her new opponent. She just wasn’t sure if she should share the part about Spike and the maiming. At this point she had flopped back to being completely honest because that way it couldn’t back fire in her face. Although, this route had the potential of hurting Buffy. It was obvious how much the pair cared for each other, and would it be wrong if Willow just wanted them to be happy? Not to even mention how hard Spike has tried to be good for her, and something of this nature could really set back the strides he’s made. Okay, her mind was set for good now. Most of the truth it would be.

She stood at the entrance to Spike’s crypt for a few moments before the courage she sought found its way to her. In general Willow was a nervous spaz, but something about telling a person- a person who uses violence as a solution to her problems- what they probably didn’t want to hear, made her jump off the Nerve Wrecking Chart.

When her tiny hand struck the door, all she hoped was that Buffy was actually in there. Willow looked all over town for the Slayer, but with no luck. Spike’s place was the only other place she could think of for her to be. If only she could use her magic. A locator spell would have cut out the hour and a half of walking time.

“Buffy? Spike? It’s me, Willow!” she shouted loudly through the door, while her hands were fidgeting in anticipation.

****

“Who’s that?” Buffy heard a knock and a faint voice outside the door, but couldn’t hear what the person wanted. Her first thought was that Colton was coming by for a heart to heart with Spike, but the voice sounded like a female.

Immediately upon the rapping at the door, Buffy jolted upright off Spike’s laying form. The kiss between them began heating up quickly and soon they had found themselves on the chilly floor, kissing each other with a calm passion Spike had never experienced with the Slayer. It felt like there was true emotion behind each caress her lips gave him. Spike hated that they were interrupted, but not because of his arousal. This was different. He absolutely adored the romanticism between them. To him, if they stopped kissing and she just cuddled in his arms, it would be a perfect moment. However, like all their great moments together, it ended quicker than it started. “It’s your bird, Red. ‘Seems she’s lookin’ for you.”

“Willow’s here?” That fact took her by surprise. Willow never showed her face around these places unless it was an emergency. “Stay here,” she ordered Spike as she walked over to face Willow.

****

“Buffy! Hi! I’ve been looking all over for you!”

“Why? Is it Dawn? Is she-?”

“Oh, no. Dawn’s fine. She’s with Tara. Safe and sound or as safe and sound as one can be in Sunnydale!” At this point, even Willow knew her ‘Everything’s Fine’ cover was over the top, but peeking around Buffy’s form hadn’t revealed a bright blonde male, which, being Spike’s place was odd.

Buffy had no choice but to play along with the uneasy red head. “Okay. So what’s up?”

Alright, brave face on, it’s time. “Well, Tara and I did some more research on your English baddie… We found good news and some bad.” Okay, so she was back to the ‘honest’ side. She just wasn’t good with lying. “Say, where’s Spike? Cause he probably doesn’t want to be around when you find out you were right about his involvement with this guy.”

Folding her arms over her chest, Buffy realized the situation still irritated her, even though she understood it all. “Actually, Will, I know.”

Uh. Oh. She crossed her arms. Willow knew that was a bad sign, usually meaning anger of some sort. “How?” She squeaked, but wasn’t sure if she wanted to hear the answer.

“Spike told me.”

This was certainly a surprise. “Really?” It was that moment when it occurred to Willow that Buffy was standing directly beside a pile of dust. Eyes wide, she shook her head frantically, “And you killed him?! Buffy! How could you? Spike didn’t-”

The accusation against her was insane. Buffy’s hands flew out, signaling Willow to stop panicking. “What? No! He’s-”

“Here.” The baritone voice interrupted both girls. When they looked over at him, he gave a short wave of his hand.

“Oh. Well… good!” Willow said with a crooked smile.

“Why would you think I killed Spike?”

Her finger shot out, pointing down to the floor. “The mound of dust lying beside your feet?”

It was Spike’s turn to answer. “Jus’ a side-effect of sweepin’ with no pan,” he said simply, but instead of understanding, both girls looked shocked.

Without the self-control to stop it, Buffy giggled, “You sweep? A place that’s all about dead bodies and dirt, and you sweep?”

Holding a warning finger in the air, Spike growled, “Watch it!” With a roll of his eyes, he added, “’Fraid an eternity of immortality doesn’t excuse good house keepin’. Can’t rightly live in a pit of filth.”

Again, Buffy began snickering at ‘The Vampire Who Cleans’ and Willow had no choice but to join in. Sure it was at his expense, but Spike even let an amused smirk shine through.

****

“So, Spike claims everything with this Colton guy was just a cover?” Dawn asked, to nobody in particular, but all parties in the room could see the scrutiny directed at the vampire. Her skeptical glares she kept throwing his way let all her thoughts and feelings escape in silence. “Are we all forgetting that he was human and still lying through his teeth?”

“Dawn! “ Buffy said sharply, in a tone that came out harsher than she wanted. Her sister’s attitude towards Spike was strange, considering he was the only one she actually listened to. Their bond was cute in Buffy’s eyes. It seemed they looked after one another. Buffy knew Spike would always protect her, no matter the cost, and that Dawn stood up for him, even when no one else would. It was disappointing to think their bond may have been broken over events that could have been avoided from the get go.

Spike completely understood Dawn’s point of view. To her, he was the trash that lied to her sister and put her in harms way. Frankly, he respected the younger Summer’s position and willingness to say something when no one else would. He liked to think the Bit learned some of that backbone from him. “I know wha’ you’re thinking Dawn. I wasn’t straight with you before, but-”

“But you lied! And now you’re a vampire again. Pretty good timing huh?” Dawn shot back before rushing for the stairs that would lead her to solitude.

“Dawn! Get back here!” Buffy yelled after the blur running up the steps.

“It’s okay pet. Let her go on up.” Spike paused before adding, “Actually, mind if I have a word with the Bit?”

“Better you getting yelled at than me. Go for it. I’ll fill in the others in the mean time.” Buffy walked back into her spot in the living room before he had a chance to respond. Spike was halfway up the stairwell when she shouted out, “Oh! And watch for anything pointy and wooden!”

The group heard a faint mutter, “Funny Slayer.“ Xander, Willow, and Tara sat back in their spots on the couch, watching the reality soap unfold before them. Buffy had called a Scooby meeting due to the new information she obtained while visiting Spike. So far, the only people talking, or rather, yelling were Buffy, Dawn, and Spike. The other three sat in amused silence, waiting for things to cool down before asking questions.

With three expecting glances looking at her, Buffy took a breath and stuck her hands on her hips. “So. Let’s get down to business.”

****

By the time Spike trailed after Dawn, she had made it to her bedroom and settled in at the foot of her twin size bed. She lay on her stomach with her face pressed into crossed arms. He knew Dawn heard him approaching when she suddenly turned her body so she wouldn’t be facing his direction.

“Where should I stand?”

Dawn still refused to look back, but she couldn’t let a random question like that go. “What?”

Spike held his position on the opposite side of the room and shrugged, “The burnin’ of the bastard who hurt your sis? Where should I stand?” He reached inside the front pocket of his jeans and pulled out his Zippo. With a flick of his thumb the top flew open and the sound of the stone rubbing against the flint filled the silent room. That seemed to gain Dawn’s attention. She lifted her head to look back at the vampire and the tiny flame flickering in his hand. Within that moment, Spike whipped the lid close and tossed the lighter onto the bed beside her, as if he was giving her the weapon to end his existence.

She only looked at it for a second before turning away again. “You aren’t sleeping…”

“Well, yea- Got me there. But wha’s better than a willin’ victim, hmm?”

“Not having a victim.”

The girl was smart, playing the guilt card, which Spike knew he very much deserved. No better time than now for a heart to heart. He stepped closer until he stood just a few inches from her and squatted down to eye level. “Well, if your not gonna turn me to dust, guess we should chat.”

“Go for it. Doesn’t matter what you say. You still lied.”

“I did. Thought I could handle this lil’ family reunion alone. Colt is my doing Dawn. When I found out the stupid git was here, I did some investigating. Plan was to send him away and you all would be none the wiser to my mess. When Buffy was his target… Things got worse. Jus’ like your five finger discount phase? Turned from a piddley necklace to a pricey leather jacket. See the point?”

“So why turn back to a vampire? We could of helped you- Buffy could of-“

“Buffy doesn’t need to be put in danger ‘cause of me. The rest of the bunch either. Course, that backfired a bit on me… but I’m going in to kill Colton, family or not. As soon as the dust settles, I’m drinkin’ the magic brew again.” Spike said all he needed to. Now it was for her to decide if she forgave him or not. He got up and walked away, grabbing his lighter on the way to the door. Before exiting he paused, “That’s what Buffy would want and if there’s anything right by me- That’s what she’ll get.”

****

“Will, Tara… You guys don’t need to research anymore. I know what this Colton is up to now.”

“Hey!” Xander chimed in with an expression of annoyance. “Willow and Tara? I was right there in the middle of the book reading fight!”

Willow rolled her eyes, careful to not let him see. “Xander, you fell asleep after about 15 minutes and we weren’t researching Colton’s back story, we were trying to figure out how Spike got turned human.”

“A-and you also had a-a comic book inside the book you were reading, s-so it looked like you were researching,” Tara added meekly.

“You caught that huh?”

“Only when you laughed out loud,” Willow stated with a crooked smile.

Buffy was only slightly amused, due to the fact that she was in Slayer mode, things that should be making her laugh, didn’t. She was focused; her head was in the game and ready to fight anything that was in her bad graces. This pre-set determination is what kept her on track till the game was over and she had one more victory in her back pocket. “Does anyone actually want to know what this Colton’s reason for being here is?”

“Think I might be the one to shed some light on that.” Spike noted casually from his position in the doorway. Dawn had followed behind him but stopped at the bottom of the stairs and sat on the last step. He leaned against the frame with his hand in left pocket, waiting for his queue to start speaking.

“You know, at least now we won’t waste hours of time trying to figure this guy out. Luckily, we know the guy working right by his side!” Xander slipped in during the slight silence. Of course, with Buffy’s menacing look of ‘I don’t want any more fighting,’ he chose not to add anymore sarcastic comments, considering it would be the worst timing possible.

In order to continue a productive meeting, and move things along, Buffy turned to Spike, “So shed.”

“Right.” It was his turn to take the floor. Spike always hated this part. Mostly due to the fact that the Scooby Gang seemed to have a bias opinion of his nature, but more importantly, they hardly listened to him. No matter the subject, the crew never took what he had to say seriously. He stood upright and took a stance next to his Slayer. “Basic jist is to turn Buffy.”

“…There we have it. Man of many words.” Xander thought he had a sickness since words kept spilling from his mouth, even though his brain knew his friends in the room frowned upon them.

“Xander…,” Willow muttered with a non-approving stare before focusing on the main speaker. “But why? A Buffy Vampire? What’s good about that?”

Spike was slightly flattered that Buffy‘s gang was finally looking to him with ears perked up for answers. “You won’t find it in your books, Red- Watchers hid it. A slayer turned is a mass amount of destruction an’ chaos. Colton wants her on a bloody path- something for history to remember him by. What he doesn’t care ‘bout is the code. Vamps aren’t suppose’ to sire Slayers. Yeah, it sounds fun. Runnin’ with the Chosen One and rippin’ through towns, one by one, but it doesn’t work tha’ way. A turned Slayer is unpredictable and not to mention impervious to harm. Becomes a bit of a sticky.”

Tara looked concerned as she raised her hand to signify she would be speaking next. “You s-said the Watchers hid it? So it has h-happened before?”

“Once. Far as I know.”

“Why has Giles never mentioned this?” Buffy interjected.

Inside he chuckled. He knew at some point, one of them would challenge his knowledge because the Old Watcher hadn’t ever mentioned this tidbit. “He probably don’ know luv. It’s quite the secret.”

“Okay, so- it’s bad- no slayer vampires. So my question is: How do we stop him?” Xander asked, forwarding the conversation to the plan making stage.

“That’s why we’re here. Spike and I had an idea, but I want you guys as back up.”

“Sure Buff, I’m there.” Xander verbalized his support while Tara and Willow nodded theirs.

“Don’t forget to keep your eyes on the prize mates. Colt’s a gent till he wants something an’ a master vamp there after. He’s been ‘round the best of the best, so he learned a few things along the way.” He hoped his warning would stick in everyone’s mind, but most importantly, Buffy’s. She had a way of getting ahead of herself in battle or underestimating an opponent. Of course, she’s always clever and fights her way out, but last time was too close. Spike knew Colton was his burden, so he felt explaining to the gang about his childe’s capabilities was an obligation.

“From what we r-read, he likes to cause pain in any w-way possible. So you both be careful too.”

“Thanks Tara.” Buffy smiled with appreciation before walking over to the weapons chest. “Let’s strap up.”

A devilish smirk swept over Spike’s lips. “Mmm… My favorite part.”