Chapter 20


“I've never known a Slayer to have so many friendships during her reign.” Colton mentioned with a calm demeanor. He had been talking generously about all of his future plans for quite sometime now. Buffy had liked the fact that he was so open about everything, but the information was useless to her and everyone else in the room. All the people currently gathered were already there to make sure Colton never got the chance to create a destructive monstrosity out of a Slayer. She wished that his loose mouth would have opened itself much earlier to Spike, but then again that would have been too easy. And her life was never easy.

Finally, it looked like Colt was going to make his move. As he spoke, he began advancing on both Buffy and Willow, trapping them into a corner of the room. Buffy stood tall, keeping Willow behind her. “Well you know what they say, 'Some people are just born into popularity,' but from what I've read, you weren't one of them.” Being verbally aggressive always pumped her up for the fight, but Colton hadn't bitten once yet. The way he wanted to conduct his business in such a gentleman's way was somewhat creepy to her. He didn't come off as a menacing bad guy, which really made the bad vs. good lines all blurry.

It was the first time that he changed. Yellow, glowing eyes replacing the dark hazel. Perfectly smooth skin formed ridges in his brow and upper cheeks. Fangs came down, slightly showing below his upper lip. Even with the demon in place, Colton barely let his anger show as he gently tugged on his cuffs, smoothing out the jacket he wore. The sophistication he presented was almost so alluring that Buffy hardly realized he went on the attack. Striking with a fluid motion of his hand, jutting out with intentions of grabbing Buffy's neck, but before his fingers could get a grip, Spike was on his feet in an instant, pulling him backwards hard against the floor. With one swift movement, Spike brought the stake up above his head, plunging it downwards at Colt's chest cavity.

Colton growled just as the wooden tip began to pierce his flesh, and his hand shot out, grabbing behind Spike's knee, yanking him to the ground. He rolled quickly away from his enemies, leaving the stake to lay useless on the ground. Jumping to his feet, snarling as he debated his next move.

Three lines stretched their way across her neck from Colton's nails, droplets of blood already seeping through. Buffy wasn't concerned with the burning she could feel; instead she rushed to the fallen vampire, oblivious to Colton's lackeys filling the room. Extending her hand for Spike to use as leverage to stand, quickly looking him over for any signs of a serious injury.

Willow stayed in the safety of the corner, “Uh, guys? Sorta rethinking the plan...”

Side by side, Spike and Buffy took their fighting stances, ready for what was to come. Buffy didn't take her eyes off the approaching vampires as she spoke. “Don't worry Will, he'll still end up dead, no matter what plan we go with.”

As if Buffy's words seemed to silently say 'GO', the pair was rushed by the three vamps who had entered within seconds. Buffy landed a jab, followed by a kick to the largest vampire out of the trio, sending him into the opposite wall. The other two vampires went for Spike. One slammed his knuckles into Spike's face as the other smashed his boot into his leg, making him drop to a knee.

Without wasting any time, The Slayer grabbed one of the demons by the neck, fighting to hold him still as Spike used the stake that had fallen to the ground to thrust it upward into its heart, thoroughly dusting him. The other two had surrounded Buffy and Spike, low growls emerging from them as they showed their fangs. Buffy lifted her eyes to meet Spike's and he responded with a curt nod. In a flash of choreographed maneuvers, the remaining vampires had exploded into small particles of dust.

He looked at her in awe. Spike had told her once that she and he danced, and while they started as enemies, fighting each other, they have grown into a bizarre team of sorts. Her moves always matched his, and if one got the upper hand, it lasted only a minute before the other countered. In time, they began playing off each other, working together to kill other demons. Soon enough, they never even spoke during their battles, always aware of the other. He would always be amazed at how well they seemed to fit together in so many ways.

Willow was already on the move, running after Colton. Buffy and Spike rushed behind her, ready to finish the fight. As they descended the stairs, feet pounding on every step, an audible sound from the door opening struck their attention. Colton got out.
****

Worn out from the run, okay, fast walking, to the house which held all his friends captive, Xander bent down, placing his hands on his knees to catch his breath. He stood on the sidewalk, just outside the parameters of the invisible barrier. When he took one last deep breath, anticipating the hard throw backwards that he got earlier, he put one leg out to step onto the lawn. Nothing. Nothing happened. His fist went up, as if he accomplished something huge. He mumbled, “I'm coming guys,” before he ran to the front door, turning the knob with ease as he burst in unannounced. Before he could decide which direction to go, a tall figure came barreling at him from the main hall. With out hesitation, Xander acted on pure instinct, swinging hard at the man when he reached arms length.

****

She wasn't sure what she was planning to do if she was able to catch up to the vampire who has been threatening to kill her and her best friend, but her legs wouldn't stop. Reaching the last step brought the front entry into view for Willow as she rushed after the culprit. When her eyes saw Xander hitting Colton, her mouth let out a giddy, “Yes!” as Colton flew to his side. She kept moving forward and without looking back yelled, “He didn't get away Buffy!”

The Slayer and blond vampire passed Willow in the hall, both skittering to a halt before they reached the fallen form. Spike took a step forward, hovering above him.

“So William... I suppose your anger won't spare my life?” Colt asked, staring up at the dangerous weapon that would most likely be his demise.

Looking down, Spike tilted his head, the sides of his mouth lifting in an upwards curve, “Doubt it mate... Never threaten my girl.” Unlike the movies like to depict, it wasn't drug out. It was quick and sweet, giving him more pleasure than any kill he had in a long time.

Everyone else watched the stoic vampire crumble into particles. They blinked once or twice before gathering together to break the silence. Xander hugged Willow tightly in his embrace while looking at Buffy to notice the scratches at her throat. “You're okay?”

Buffy finally reached up, assessing the damage Colton had done. She nodded with a soft smile, “Yea, no serious bumps or bruises to note.” Her attention turned to Spike, who still hadn't moved from his position over his old companion and for a moment she wondered if it was hard for him to do. Willow's voice broke her thought.

“We should check in with Tara and Dawn, they're probably worried.”

“You guys go ahead. We'll catch up.” Buffy walked over to Spike's side, looking down at the floor where his eyes seemed to be glued.

“It's over.”

“Yeah, and with minimal deaths,” she replied.

It was then that Spike moved, turning to face her. Deep azure eyes boring into her, “You're not dead. That's all that matters.” Exhaling, he shook his head, allowing his eyes to look anywhere but directly at her. “I don't know wha' I would've done if-”

Placing her hand on his upper arm as if to anchor his gaze. “It didn't,” she stated sternly. Buffy released her hold of him, smiling, and “Let's go home.”

****

“So Xander came in and hit him?” Dawn was perched on the edge of the couch, infused with the story of tonight's events.

“Well I just got through the door, saw a guy running towards me, and I acted on the primal instinct that Man has. Lurking inside each and every one of us.”

Willow piped in the conversation from her spot in between Tara and Dawn on the couch, “You mean the 'run and hide' instinct?”

Xander was relaxed in the big chair across from the girls. He held up a finger at Willow, “Ahh that is usually the most reliable. But, I chose the stupid route of possibly getting pummeled by the Big Bad Daddy Mack Vampire.”

“Good thing your stupid then.” Buffy chirped from her place in the doorway of the living room.

“You betcha!”

The gang rendezvoused back at the Summers' home after the mission was completed. Tara and Dawn had been so engrossed in the story after being stuck at the Magic Shop while all the action happened elsewhere. First, Xander shared his part of the tale, making sure to include the fact that Willow got captured and kept upstairs with Buffy and Spike. Willow went on about how incredibly scary Colton actually was, even though he had tall, dark, and handsome appeal going on for him. She explained how Spike and Buffy couldn't fight back right away because of the spell not working, but they improvised a new plan that worked out pretty much in their favor. Making sure to cut in about his surprise entrance at the end, Xander finished telling the rest. Buffy only offered a few details, but left most of it to her friends who seemed to enjoy the sharing part just a bit more than she did. Amidst all the commotion, Spike had stepped away quietly, not offering an explanation to the rest of the room’s population.

Though she was joining in her friends conversations, Buffy noticed Spike's disappearing act. She chose to remain with the others, unsure if he wanted the company. He had been extremely silent the entire way back to the house, keeping to himself. Here she was thinking the night was a complete success, and somehow it wasn't going exactly as she thought it would. Of course, she wasn't sure how things should be going; she just knew this wasn't what she pictured from him.

“So? Buffy?” Willow questioned, everyone else had their gazes steadily on Buffy.

“Sorry. What?”

“So now that the Nerd Herd is officially in custody, and the threat of going evil has been averted... What's next?”

“Oh. Well you know, continue patrolling and regularly go to work for money.”

Xander smiled, he could always appreciate a bad joke. “I think Wills was talking more about our personal friend Buffy and less about the Slayer Buffy.”

Spike. They all wanted to know what was going to happen with her and Spike. Wow, that couldn't have been the hardest question to ask her. What was she suppose to say? Well, we are getting married in the fall, an outside wedding, and moving up state to have three children in a house with a white picket fence. She thought wryly. “Honestly, I don't know. Spike agreed to take that tea stuff again and I guess that means...” She paused, unsure of how to go on, after all, she didn't know what any of this meant for them. It would probably be best if she were to speak to him first about everything that had transpired and try to sort out their feelings for one another.

Xander offered his opinion before anyone else, “Well I for one, still don't like the guy.” All the girls’ heads swiveled to stare at him in disbelief of his inappropriate announcement. “But... we all just want you to be happy Buff. And if that means you dating...,” he paused as he tried to gather enough bearings to say his name out loud, “Spike, so be it. Plus, once he is human again and all with the soul having, I guess giving him a chance isn't so crazy.”

With the mention of Spike's possible soul, Buffy harshly turned her head, ready to avoid the talk. She still had no clue if what she heard that night the graveyard was true or real for that matter. She was badly beaten and drifting in between consciousness.

“Ummm...” Tara meekly raised her hand, looking down at the floor. She didn't have to look up to see the room was focusing on her. “Actually, I did some more research about the spell that changed Spike.”

“And?” Buffy questioned, her tone much harder than she intended.

Finally, Tara looked up at the expecting faces, concentrating on Buffy mostly. “From everything I g-gathered, it seems the spell itself only did w-what we thought- make him real.”

“What does that mean exactly?”

“That physically it restored him to his human self, but not more. To conjure a soul restoration would be a d-different spell entirely.”

Buffy looked down, disappointed with what she was hearing. “So before, when Spike was alive... he didn't have...” Before now it was purely speculation, which meant it was easy to deny, but now hearing it from Tara meant it was real.

Tara offered a sincere smile, hating that the hope in her friends eyes faded with each word she spoke. “But that doesn't mean anything. H-he still loves you and,” she paused, looking at Willow for help.

“And he still helped on the side of the good!” The red head said, hoping to make the light at the end of the tunnel brighter. “I have the ingredients for the tea still, if you decide you want...,” Willow let her words drift off, noticing Buffy's face had fallen at the mention of the potion.

Dawn stood up, walking over to stand in front of her sister. “Buffy, do you love him?”

That question really threw her for a loop. The first thought that came to her mind was 'How could I not? After everything...,' but she kept coming back to the fact her friends wouldn't understand what happened between them. Buffy's eyes drifted to each person in the room. Xander sat patiently, trying hard to bite his tongue from any retort. Willow and Tara had soft smiles upon their lips, ready to stand by whatever Buffy chose. Dawn provided a simple question for Buffy to answer with honesty. It was then that she felt the swift kick. Realizing no matter what she said in response, her friends would support her.

“Thank you.” Buffy hugged Dawn with a new found strength before leaving quickly to find the vampire in question.